Royal Jewels

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2010 2:50:01 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

Date: 3/10/2010 2:09:54 PM
Author: Princejohnny25
The Tiara is Sarahs. It was a gift from Her Majesty. It has not been seen in years however, Im not sure we will ever see Sarah wearing it again. Perhaps, if she gets invited to the coronation or remarryes Andrew. But we will most likely see the tiara and diamond jewelry on the York Princess''s one day. At least I hope so, I find her jewelry beautiful. Ive always had this fear that Sarah may have sold the jewels off to pay for debts but thats just speculation.

Thanks for the support, Prince!

I had the same fear, but I think Sarah won''t allow enyone to sell these jewels in her lifetime.

We can''t deny that her tiara is relly nice, can we? I think it''s even nicer than the Spencer tiara:
It is possible that Sarah wouldn''t be allowed to sell any of her jewellery given to her by the Royal Family and that was a stipulation when she divorced.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
some books and articles mentioned this. of course it''s possible that one false source is repeated... of course I don''t know, I was a child at her wedding time, and the DoY is not my "main" fovorite....thanks for clearing this up...

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
the kents have a set of 2 brooches, one is set in white one with black pearls which came from princess marina /grandduches vladimir

here the white design on a choker

vladimir pearls.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, everyone!

I think this is one of the Spencer tiaras.

Isn''t she stunning?

Cheers,

Danny

73391373.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 8:49:11 PM
Author: alexander1917
the kents have a set of 2 brooches, one is set in white one with black pearls which came from princess marina /grandduches vladimir

here the white design on a choker

So this might be the same choker worn with the black pearl center brooch:

3295806.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 1:30:01 AM
Author: Imdanny
Hi, everyone!

I think this is one of the Spencer tiaras.

Isn't she stunning?

Cheers,

Danny

Hi Danny!

Yes, she is/was stunning and no one can compare with her. A real icon!

You're right! This is THE Spencer tiara that Lady Diana wore on her weddingday. The Earls Spencer own two more tiaras - a Greek kay-Honeysuckle tiara and one that belonged to Marie Antoinette.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Thank you for all the wonderful pics of Tahitian pearls, I think my favourites (so far) are those of HRH Princess Maxima, simply lovely to look at.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome, Neil!

Yes, Maxima''s set is nice. I like baroque pearls very much, but prefer the lengh of The Queen''s strand. It''s just a matter of personal preference, you know;-)

Hope more photos of royal ladies in Tahitians will soon be posted by other posters.

Here''s a photo of Maxima''s clasp and her lovely updo:

16143406.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
I have to say I also love the large pearls that HM Queen Mary gave to the Duchess of Windsor, a lovely set. And Wallis had a pair of earrings made that had one white pearl and one black (Tahitian?) pearl that she often wore with them.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 5:58:18 PM
Author: neil31uk
I have to say I also love the large pearls that HM Queen Mary gave to the Duchess of Windsor, a lovely set. And Wallis had a pair of earrings made that had one white pearl and one black (Tahitian?) pearl that she often wore with them.

Then you''ll probably enjoy this photo of Wallis'' pearls:

PS: This is a normal black pearl, not Tahitian.

Wallis_QMary_pearls.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And a photo to show you how huge the pearls are:

duchesswallispearls.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today (11th March) The Queen & The Ducke of Edinburgh visited Wyvern Barracks in Exeter. The Barracks are hosting the Devon Cadet 150 celebrations to mark 150 years of the Cadet movement.

Elizabeth II wore the brooch from the Kent amethyst demi-parure:

QueenD8sNdD9l.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Bobby, are there many black pearls in the royal collections around the world?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I think there aren't many black/gray pealr jewels in royal collections. I'll post what I was able to find in my files.

First is The Empress of Japan and her brooch:

x51523912.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
La Princesse de Réthy and her big black pearl earrings:

princessrethy5.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa wearing one black and one white pearl earrings during the State Visit to Sweden:

JewelsllWeddingTiaraSwedenApr08.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Diana, then still Princess of Wales, wearing a necklace and earrings with natural black and white pearls, given to her by her husband:

Diana 13213113 Natural.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Duchess of Gloucester, Birgitte, wearing a strand of large gray baroques:

dwur2p.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Duchess has a pair of earrings to match her necklace:

birgitee_bperrings.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And last but not least - HRH Princess Michael of Kent
On the previous page a photo of the Princess wearing some sizy pearls was posted.
Here''s a photo of her gray baroque necklace. HRH''s also wearing gray pearl and diamond earrings and a brooch mentioned on the previous page:

britishroyalsprinceprincessmichaelkent20091009.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, everyone, beautiful pictures of the pearls, black, gray, white & in between! Does anyone know who bought the Queen Mary/Duchess of Windsor pearl necklace & pendant in 2004? All I can find is "an anonymous European collector." That has always been one of my favorite necklaces; it''s so elegant & understated. In many pictures Wallis wears the pendant off-center, which I find a little awkward.

Also, I''ve had no luck finding photos of the other Spencer tiaras besides the one Diana wore. Some of you folks are magic at coming up with hard-to-locate stuff.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 1:20:48 PM
A great copy of The Imperial State Crown:
Magnificent reproduction of that crown (I hope it doesn't weigh as much as the real thing). This sceptor, orb, chain of state, and crown of an earlier English queen no longer exists, but here's the wonderful reproduction made for the film "Elizabeth." This same gown and/or the reproductions of these pieces have been reused in "The Last Boleyn Girl," "David Starkey's Elizabeth," and "The Tudors" on Showtime. Hollywood & the BBC actually reuse many costumes in costume dramas. Amazing reproductions, and it's unfortunate the originals no longer exist. These were based on the famous coronation portrait of Elizabeth I.

cate_blanchett_repro.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the portrait these pieces were reproduced from. The neckpiece is also evident. I'm not so sure what that chain is called around her ermine collar, but I denoted it as a chain of state. It isn't, but I don't know the official term for it. Whatever it is, it is magnificent and befitting of a great queen, as Elizabeth was.

coronation_of_elizabethi.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And Marie Antoinette''s tiara and necklace - the tiaras is with the Earls Spencer and the riviere with the Dukes of Sutherland:

marieantoinettespencertiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:07:20 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here is the portrait these pieces were reproduced from. The neckpiece is also evident. I''m not so sure what that chain is called around her ermine collar, but I denoted it as a chain of state. It isn''t, but I don''t know the official term for it. Whatever it is, it is magnificent and befitting of a great queen, as Elizabeth was.

Great photos, TL! I''ve never seen this photo of Elizabeth I. Do you have more?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:00:00 AM
Author: JewelFreak

Hey, everyone, beautiful pictures of the pearls, black, gray, white & in between! Does anyone know who bought the Queen Mary/Duchess of Windsor pearl necklace & pendant in 2004? All I can find is ''an anonymous European collector.'' That has always been one of my favorite necklaces; it''s so elegant & understated. In many pictures Wallis wears the pendant off-center, which I find a little awkward.

Somewhere I''ve read that Queen Mary gave her son the necklace and the pendant, but not the detachable stirrup-shaped pendant fitting. It was commissioned later by the Duke/Duchess from Cartier. That would explain why Wallis wore the pendant off-center in the early 1950s.

The necklace and pendant:

N08371-364-lr-3.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The pendant is still detachable and The Duchess has worn the pearls with an emerald attached to the stirrup-shaped pendant fitting:

N08371-366-lr-2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 11:15:03 AM

Date: 3/13/2010 11:07:20 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here is the portrait these pieces were reproduced from. The neckpiece is also evident. I'm not so sure what that chain is called around her ermine collar, but I denoted it as a chain of state. It isn't, but I don't know the official term for it. Whatever it is, it is magnificent and befitting of a great queen, as Elizabeth was.

Great photos, TL! I've never seen this photo of Elizabeth I. Do you have more?

Bobby
This is actually a very early 17th century copy of a portrait of her in coronation robes that was lost. She was crowned queen in 1558. For a comprehensive book on the portraits of Queen Elizabeth I, probably the most iconic Queen in history, I recommend the book
"Gloriana: The Portraits of Elizabeth I" by Sir Roy Strong. It's out of print, but I have copy. I recommend the hardcover version, which I believe is older and more comprehensive than the later editions. It is difficult to find though, and it can be expensive.

Hardcover: 180 pages
Publisher: Thames & Hudson; 2nd edition (March 1987)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0500250987
ISBN-13: 978-0500250983

Sir Roy Strong is an English historian and the curator of the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. He specializes in portraiture.

Since we're on the topic of royal pearls. No one loved pearls more than Queen Elizabeth I. She's wearing them in just about every portrait, and she supposedly obtained Mary,Queen of Scots (her doomed royal cousin) magnificent long three strand necklace. A few of the pearls that once belonged to this great Queen are hanging from the British state crown today. They are all that remain of her magnificent pearl collection.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Question for the forum!
I know this topic and piece of jewelry has been covered in the recent past but I have a question a the Anne Bolin pearl necklace with her initial B and drop pearls....Where is the necklace today?I thought it remained in her family line,but am unsure of that fact.I just got done viewing the BBC movie The other Bolin Girl and had this question.Also for those that have seen the movie...look for the in consistency with the necklace....in one scene there is a long term neck shot fron behind and the necklace has a round modern style clasp...the end of the movie she removed the necklace and it has ribbons as its clasp...also the on the cover of the DVD box it shows he wearing a necklace with fresh water pearls and next to it a close up of the necklace with round knotted strand of pearls!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results