shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Tahitian pearls on sale!

makeable

Shiny_Rock
baby monster|1407608510|3729256 said:
Oh boy. I know these things happened in the past as I've gotten emails from PP saying that the pearls I bought were purchased by someone earlier. Their systems lags during these high volume sales. I've also received pearls other than I ordered so they do make mistakes occasionally. It all gets sorted out in the end but I can see how duties will add on complications to this.

Not sure if this happened to anyone else but during the beginning of the sale the site was acting a bit wonky for me. I assumed it was because everyone had jumped on at the same time.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dmz, those are beautiful pearls on an even more beautiful wife. Were you the one who was doing a comparison at Birks? If so, I was impressed that they even had their hamadama pearls in stock, as mine never does. Just the lower end ones that are still $$$!

I'm sure if we are all right and if there is an issue they will do their best to make things right. They were super nice to me when I emailed them to let them know that my strand had snapped the first day I wore it. Really, other places might have wondered if I did something to it...which I didn't....but they just said send it back and we'll fix it for you. My only peeve is that I originally paid for expedited shipping and I returned it to them by expedited shipping, and even though they were quick about the turnaround time at their end, they sent it back to me ground, so it's been (and continues to be) a long wait to get them back. If you do need an exchange, I'd suggest making sure to ask for it to be sent by FedEx, especially if you have an anniversary date coming up.

I can see why you'd think the strand you (hope to have) bought would look great on her. You need to bend my DH's ear about the finer points of surprise jewelry gifts!!!

dmz

Rough_Rock
makeable|1407615968|3729308 said:
Aww, lovely wedding photos dmz.
I have a feeling you are right. If it does indeed turn out I received the pearl strand and your heart is set on giving them to your beautiful wife please tell PP to contact me. I can send them back to PP and so they can send them off to you.

That's a really nice gesture, but I don't think I could do that to somebody. But thank you :)

dmz

Rough_Rock
cmd2014|1407616502|3729315 said:
Dmz, those are beautiful pearls on an even more beautiful wife. Were you the one who was doing a comparison at Birks? If so, I was impressed that they even had their hamadama pearls in stock, as mine never does. Just the lower end ones that are still $$$!
[...]
I can see why you'd think the strand you (hope to have) bought would look great on her. You need to bend my DH's ear about the finer points of surprise jewelry gifts!!!

I don't think I was the one comparing to Birks. They've never been very friendly, so I just avoid them.

I had tahitians in the back of my head for a while now, and this was the first one that jumped out and grabbed me. Of everything I've looked at, I find the off-round ones the most appealing. And the colours in this were just right.

Now I'm really curious what's going to be in the box. Is it going to be a close approximation, or something completely random.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow! This is crazy!

First of all, those wedding pictures are gorgeous!!!

Second of all, you are both handling this situation very well. I am certain the ultimate outcome will be satisfactory to both parties. PPs customer service is superb and they will do everything possible to rectify their mistake.

Do keep us posted!

caro40

Shiny_Rock
I agree with bsomlo. You're both being very good and it's nice to see that in this thread. I truly think that one way or the other both of you will be happy because PP will make sure you get something fantastic.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could decide on one I don't want one that is too baroque, I don't like the points or really pointy. My budget is very low, I was looking at Item: TAN000-1130,Item: TAN000-1146. Anyone with thoughts.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me -- I personally like the colors and the shapes of 1130 more. But it is so personal.

Remember that new items are going to be listed weekly.

Another thought, you could contact PP and tell them your budget and wishes and they could send you pictures of strands to consider in your price range.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bsomio so glad you were on! I wanted to ask when PP states the size range for example 8.3 to 11.2, Is that the variation on each pearl circumference width, or would it be that one pearl is 8.5 smaller, one pearl is 11.0 larger, one pearl is 9.2 range on the strand? Does that make since.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Frostme
I looked very carefully at both strands and think either would a good choice. Both have good luster and are AA+ so there is not a wrong choice between them. For me because I like green and peacock overtones I would go with 1146. But that just suits my color preferance. Choose which ever one that speaks the most to you.

The size range question is they measure the smallest pearl and largest pearl measured width wise (not the length).

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 1146 better too...but you can ask them to email you a picture of them both in natural light which can help you know better what each of them will look like.

The size difference means that it's a graduated strand. The smaller number is the size of the pearls by the clasp, and the large number is the size of the largest pearls at the centre of the strand. They will be matched so that they gradually get bigger as they move towards the centre of the strand.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the color of 1130- so as you can see, it mainly has to do with personal preference.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1407525963|3728733 said:
I got a glam shot of the multicolor strand I bought. Can't wait to try it on.

What a Tahitian dream! Fabulous!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
What is a dark body tahitian? Is it more to the black or could it be many deep colors?

caro40

Shiny_Rock
I received my strand today and it is such extraordinary quality. I have to admit that I still really can't 'read' pearl light box pictures and so was surprised but I realise that's my own lack of experience. I expected a greater variation in colour from the photo but I assume the colour variation was actually more about pearl position and lighting per pearl. As I roll the pearls around in my hand they are more uniform. Again, it was not advertised as multi colour so that comes down to me learning.

I have a Tahitian rope already and was hoping they could go together but I had not realised quite how big and long the drops were on the existing rope. My perfect strand would be a rope in the current rope's size but comprised of the terrific quality of the new strand. I expect that would be extremely hard to find and expensive though.

Here are some photos for those of you who want to know more about IRL versus photos and also about size. My rope is 10 - 12mm, and 38 inches or so in length. The new strand from PP is clearly better quality but smaller at 8.8 - 11.5mm, at 18 inches.

PP photo
tan200-fiona.jpg

Very poor lighting and phone pic but that's all I have right now...

New strand
new.jpg

New and old together
mix2.jpg
mix_1.jpg
compare_5.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love that PP strand that is so smooth and stunning!!! And I love it mixed with the previous rope, you did well. When did you order the PP strand was it on sale? It looks like AAA drops? What was the described colors? I have had the same experience myself with the lighting, yes I am learning too about how the colors shift around.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Strand was part of PP sale, I bought it mid last week or so - it's discussed on the first page of this thread.
Yes, AAA. I didn't save the description but I believe it was deep green body with strong peacock overtones.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Caro40, the new T strand is delicious on you! congratulations! :love: :love: :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
caro40 - That is a gorgeous strand and a beautiful choice. I love those plump drops.

Take a look at both your photo of the strand solo and the PP photo. See the bright green pearl that lies about three to the left of center in both photos? The pearls on either side look pinker in both photos. Then the fourth pearl to the left of the green pearl has that bright green streak on the top in your photo, and lying below in the PP photo?

It takes a bit of time to learn how to read the photos, but your strand has lovely colors. Your eye needs to adjust to the fact that the colors won't be as bright in most lighting as in a light box. I think a lot of people only look at their pearls in the bathroom mirror, and really don't appreciate how lovely their strand looks to others as they go through their day, walking through different lighting.

Enjoy your new pearls. And, I think you can certainly wear both strands together. Pearls are like flowers, they don't have to have the same colors to look lovely together. :wavey:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caro,

Your new strand is beautiful. I love the multi overtones (you can definitely see green pearls and Aubergine ones and the peacock overtones). I hope mine turns out as nice as yours!

Where did you get your rope? It's really pretty too.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all.
I bought the rope at small store here in Melbourne (Australia). It was my first pearl purchase early last year and I have kind of gone nuts for pearls since then.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl|1407723856|3729967 said:
caro40 - That is a gorgeous strand and a beautiful choice. I love those plump drops.

Take a look at both your photo of the strand solo and the PP photo. See the bright green pearl that lies about three to the left of center in both photos? The pearls on either side look pinker in both photos. Then the fourth pearl to the left of the green pearl has that bright green streak on the top in your photo, and lying below in the PP photo?

It takes a bit of time to learn how to read the photos, but your strand has lovely colors. Your eye needs to adjust to the fact that the colors won't be as bright in most lighting as in a light box. I think a lot of people only look at their pearls in the bathroom mirror, and really don't appreciate how lovely their strand looks to others as they go through their day, walking through different lighting.

Enjoy your new pearls. And, I think you can certainly wear both strands together. Pearls are like flowers, they don't have to have the same colors to look lovely together. :wavey:

Thanks Fly Girl.

I didn't mean that I can't tell which pearl is which in the strand compared to the picture - yes the green one is like a beacon. I meant more what you referred to later, which is the way that pearls look in a light box compared to real life. I usually buy pearls in person or from Catherine Cardellini (also in Australia), who does not use a light box. However, no one in shops here has pearls like PP.

I always obsessively check my pearls in different lights, it's also why I prefer ropes, so I can see the necklace as I'm wearing it :). I carried the new PP necklace around the city just now to check different lighting as I went to get lunch (I must have looked strange staring into my hand), had a look in the bathroom and in my office and it looks quite different every time.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Caro I loved that strand when I first saw it on the PP site and I like it even more around your neck. Those plump drops are just beautiful. Enjoy your new beauty.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Caro40 -- yes, the color difference between pearls is often more subtle in real life than in glamour shots. I think dramatically so when it comes to Tahitians.

Your new necklace is beautiful, and I really like the shapes and colors of the large drops pearls in your rope!

Wear your Tahitians in good health.

dmz

Rough_Rock
So I just received the package from FedEx. It's definitely not the strand that I ordered. Colours are not the same, and there are 40 pearls when there was supposed to be 39.

I've attached the best photo I can take for now (taking photos is hard!).

Thoughts?

deliveredtahitian.jpg

4071_1_.jpg

delivered2.jpg

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Oh dear. Clearly a mistake.

What grade was yours supposed to be? This one looks very blemished to me.

I'm sure you will hear back overnight (for us) on this and they will remedy the situation, but this one is not anything like what I would have thought I'd bought if I was you.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked at the site again to see if this one is on there? what's the diameter of the largest pearl?

dmz

Rough_Rock
caro40 said:
Oh dear. Clearly a mistake.

What grade was yours supposed to be? This one looks very blemished to me.

It was listed as: "18-inch AA+/AAA 8.4-12.1 mm Near-round Tahitian Pearl Necklace". I'm not an expert on grading, but there are quite a number of blemishes. Some aren't visible in the photos I posted.

caro40 said:
Have you looked at the site again to see if this one is on there? what's the diameter of the largest pearl?

I'll look now. I don't have callipers handy to check the diameters.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results