shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my three stone ring

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DZ is great to work with and while their prices are not ebay rock bottom, they are a good deal less than retail and closer to wholesale depending on what you find.

They also have their hands on a goodly amt of truly vintage pieces and many times they 'replicate' the vintage pieces then resale on their website. They did this with a ring they sold a PS'er...can't recall who but she has the original vintage ring and they sell replicas on their ebay site all the time!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331843047|3149475 said:
Dreamer_D|1331841056|3149453 said:
An interesting development.

I had ordered a pendant on the vendor's statement that the diamond was "approximately 5mm". The photos were TERRIBLE, worst I have seen, but I took a gamble for a very low price. The pendant arrived and it is STUNNING with the most gorgeous 4.2mm diamond. So obviously small OECs can be lovely! Can't wait to get the pair I ordered.

I had planned to cannibalize the pendant for the diamond, but it is too beautiful. I will post a thread in SMTB.

Ooh! Now how many of these puppies do you have? And it's the right size...find a match! I smell a three stone diamond ring in your near future. Fingers crossed!!!!

I have five OECs right now :oops:

This one is too large I think. It is about 4.3mm of exposed surface and it is bezel set, so there is more diamond under the metal. I think the upper size limit for the mount is 4.2... I couldn't know for sure if it would work unless I destroyed the mount. Would you do that? See photos in SMTB.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Damn girl ... I never have these kind of "interesting developments".

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331845457|3149506 said:
TravelingGal|1331843047|3149475 said:
Dreamer_D|1331841056|3149453 said:
An interesting development.

I had ordered a pendant on the vendor's statement that the diamond was "approximately 5mm". The photos were TERRIBLE, worst I have seen, but I took a gamble for a very low price. The pendant arrived and it is STUNNING with the most gorgeous 4.2mm diamond. So obviously small OECs can be lovely! Can't wait to get the pair I ordered.

I had planned to cannibalize the pendant for the diamond, but it is too beautiful. I will post a thread in SMTB.

Ooh! Now how many of these puppies do you have? And it's the right size...find a match! I smell a three stone diamond ring in your near future. Fingers crossed!!!!

I have five OECs right now :oops:

This one is too large I think. It is about 4.3mm of exposed surface and it is bezel set, so there is more diamond under the metal. I think the upper size limit for the mount is 4.2... I couldn't know for sure if it would work unless I destroyed the mount. Would you do that? See photos in SMTB.

Dreamer, saw it, super pretty. If you got it for a song and need a gift for your mom, then no, I wouldn't. Not trying to be a hypocrite (since I am obviously considering destroying an antique mount) but that one is very pretty and if it's your mom's style, I wouldn't mess. It would just be a perfect, lovely gift that one wouldn't normally get for such a nice deal. You've got to get something for her anyway, right?

Just don't go and find the perfect match after you give it to her and then eye it on her neck, wanting to take it back to rip it out of that pendant! :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331845706|3149508 said:
Dreamer, saw it, super pretty. If you got it for a song and need a gift for your mom, then no, I wouldn't. Not trying to be a hypocrite (since I am obviously considering destroying an antique mount) but that one is very pretty and if it's your mom's style, I wouldn't mess. It would just be a perfect, lovely gift that one wouldn't normally get for such a nice deal. You've got to get something for her anyway, right?

Just don't go and find the perfect match after you give it to her and then eye it on her neck, wanting to take it back to rip it out of that pendant! :lol:

haha! No, I have no particular need for diamonds that size. Too big for my three stone, too small for earrings in my opinion.

I said in the other thread, I paid $150. That was on the seller's statement that the stone was approximately 5mm. So not as good a deal with the smaller diamond, but there is nothing I have ever seen so pretty in 14k gold, a true vintage piece I think from the markings, that has such a perfect diamond for that money. I will get a chain at the local pawn and then BAM an amazing piece for my mom. She is sort of gypsy style, a hippie at heart, and I think she will appreciate the age and also fluid nature of the pendant. And yes, I needed a special gift anyways! Her 60th deserves a nice present. This fits the bill :))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331846142|3149517 said:
TravelingGal|1331845706|3149508 said:

haha! No, I have no particular need for diamonds that size. Too big for my three stone, too small for earrings in my opinion.

I said in the other thread, I paid $150. That was on the seller's statement that the stone was approximately 5mm. So not as good a deal with the smaller diamond, but there is nothing I have ever seen so pretty in 14k gold, a true vintage piece I think from the markings, that has such a perfect diamond for that money. I will get a chain at the local pawn and then BAM an amazing piece for my mom. She is sort of gypsy style, a hippie at heart, and I think she will appreciate the age and also fluid nature of the pendant. And yes, I needed a special gift anyways! Her 60th deserves a nice present. This fits the bill :))

Girl, way nice and vintage pieces are so fab for hippies at heart...gotta love the (possible history) behind them.

Speaking of, funny story...I showed my brooch to a good friend of mine who isn't into diamonds. I mentioned the history, romance, downton abbey fantasies, etc. She said, "dude, rip them out! The history could be that the owner owned slaves and was a horrible person!" I'm like, uh...I think slavery was done before this....

But she kind of had a point. :cheeky:

Oh and WAY better score for a gift for your mom than what I got for my MIL. Lovely ring, but let's just say at your target OEC prices, I could probably get you 10 more for what I paid. Ugh. Had to do what I had to do though.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer,
MY mom's 69th is coming up ... whatcha got? She like yellow gold too! (But not her neck - so pendants are out). HA!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tGal I love what you got your MIL and if money was no object, would do the same for mine, but that's not in the cards (makes me seem a cold hearted you know since I am spending money on myself, but there it is). But I hear you, I am completely ruined for full retail now. Ruined. Still, some things you can only get new, in the quality we want.

Deco Now we all want the cheap gifts for our mommies! hee hee. No, not cheap. "Thrifty". Are you going to become an ebay convert too? Its addictive, but like any good addiction, requires MUCH too much time.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331846935|3149524 said:
tGal I love what you got your MIL and if money was no object, would do the same for mine, but that's not in the cards (makes me seem a cold hearted you know since I am spending money on myself, but there it is). But I hear you, I am completely ruined for full retail now. Ruined. Still, some things you can only get new, in the quality we want.

Deco Now we all want the cheap gifts for our mommies! hee hee. No, not cheap. "Thrifty". Are you going to become an ebay convert too? Its addictive, but like any good addiction, requires MUCH too much time.

Dreamer, hope I didn't come across the wrong way, but what I am trying to say is I think you got something that is worth as much as what I got my MIL, but at a great (heck, steal!) price. I wish I could have been so smart! Retail sux!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You make it look pretty darn good, DD. But I suspect it's a natural talent that I do not possess. Also -- a) I have to try to avoid things that might become obsessions & b) (and this is a gas!) I hardly ever wear jewelry. I love it, mind you - but I pretty much only wear my e-ring, wedding ring & pendant. My earring holes might close up in revolt! Have NO IDEA what I'd do with my hard-shopped for bootay. Probably hoard. But at least my hoard would be in a single dresser drawer rather than packed to the gills & strewn throughout my property like I see on the delicious TV. Maybe I'll be like Kenny -- hoard un-set colored diamonds -- so my hoard could be kept safely in a single ring box!

Eh, I'll have to settle for vicarious thrills and bitter regret!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331847375|3149527 said:

Dreamer, hope I didn't come across the wrong way, but what I am trying to say is I think you got something that is worth as much as what I got my MIL, but at a great (heck, steal!) price. I wish I could have been so smart! Retail sux!

We are both miscommunicating! I totally got what you meant, I just meant the present you got your MIL is awesome and worth the money, you cannot get something like that used, and I would love to get something similar for my mom or MIL! Totally worth it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1331847877|3149534 said:
You make it look pretty darn good, DD. But I suspect it's a natural talent that I do not possess. Also -- a) I have to try to avoid things that might become obsessions & b) (and this is a gas!) I hardly ever wear jewelry. I love it, mind you - but I pretty much only wear my e-ring, wedding ring & pendant. My earring holes might close up in revolt! Have NO IDEA what I'd do with my hard-shopped for bootay. Probably hoard. But at least my hoard would be in a single dresser drawer rather than packed to the gills & strewn throughout my property like I see on the delicious TV. Maybe I'll be like Kenny -- hoard un-set colored diamonds -- so my hoard could be kept safely in a single ring box!

No, see, what you do with the hard won bootay is hoard it and enjoy it and then... GASP!!!... SELL IT!! :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother, who turned 60, um, a few *cough cough* years ago. Has worn a ya know for the past several years after she decided her original 1/4 carat was too small for her. I found a great deal and upgraded her ya know. Yay for mums!!! And for great finds!

I love the pendant for your mother!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331848539|3149542 said:
TravelingGal|1331847375|3149527 said:

We are both miscommunicating! I totally got what you meant, I just meant the present you got your MIL is awesome and worth the money, you cannot get something like that used, and I would love to get something similar for my mom or MIL! Totally worth it.

LOL, all good. Glad I didn't come across the wrong way!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1331847877|3149534 said:

Deco...I sure do get a lot of laughs from reading your posts! I think you should be a writer!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1331867505|3149787 said:
diamondseeker2006|1331867384|3149784 said:
Dreamer_D|1331863360|3149730 said:
I mean this seller here, I think it is differen than the one you linked?

http://myworld.ebay.com/mydiamondzone/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Y'all may recall that I have bought two old rings from DiamondZone, and I like the seller very much.

DS, have ya got links? ::)

Oh, sure!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-little-antique-treasure.167583/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-little-antique-treasure.167583/[/URL] (this one is just a little small for me, but I plan to give it to one of my daughters eventually because I do think it is so pretty!)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vintage-5-stone-band.169261/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vintage-5-stone-band.169261/[/URL] (this one I wear a lot when I don't want to wear my wedding set)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh DS, those are lovely!

Dreamer, I posted that 3 stone link on my thread (the stones I thought you might be interested in, but that are not cheap enough. :) )

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, and funny thing is I already own three stones with basically those same specs but I paid a little less initially. Still, its a good price if they are clean. I need smaller sides though.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331915690|3150056 said:
Yeah, and funny thing is I already own three stones with basically those same specs but I paid a little less initially. Still, its a good price if they are clean. I need smaller sides though.

I'm thinking they don't look like .58 and .6, but they could just be deep. And yeah, if they match, it would be worth the "mark up." :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I received the matched pair of diamonds I bought from Diamond Zone and wanted to update this thread with my thoughts on the pair. TGal was asking in anther thead about my opinion of using this vendor for matched pairs in future so I wanted to post here, where it makes more sense to have this conversation.

About three months ago I initially contacted the vendor about a matched pair. Attached is the vendor photo of the stones (the black and white looking image), said to be a great matched pair of OECs, H VS and very round and undamaged. In this picture it seemed to me that the one of the right was an OEC and the one on the left a transitional. I told the vendor that they were not a good enough match for me and that I wanted two like the one on the right. He said that the stones look the same to the naked eye and that finding a truly identical pair would be harder and end up costing more in the long run. He said that tables and weights and crowns don't matter much once set, what metters is color and diameter. I made it very clear in lots of e-mails that I wanted matched crowns and tables, and faceting style.

After trying my own luck for a few months I returned and asked him if the one of the left had a culet because it looked like it does not in the image. He wrote me back and said it did indeed have a culet and it is just the photo. He told me that he would let me return one stone if I wantes to keep only one, and would not charge "extra" for breaking up the pair. I opted to give it a try.

My photos are the color ones below. My instinct was right about the cut style differences. I think the vendor was hoping that the similarities and positives -- color, diameter, symmetry -- would win out for me. For many buyers they might have. But I wish the vendor had provided better photos and been more up front about the cut differences rather than minimizing them as I felt he did so I could have made an informed decision prior to paying to see them. Because I am international shipping was higher, so I lost money in this transaction because of this issue.

4mm match pair.jpg

4mmpair1.png

4mmpair2.png

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1333047843|3159276 said:
I received the matched pair of diamonds I bought from Diamond Zone and wanted to update this thread with my thoughts on the pair. TGal was asking in anther thead about my opinion of using this vendor for matched pairs in future so I wanted to post here, where it makes more sense to have this conversation.

About three months ago I initially contacted the vendor about a matched pair. Attached is the vendor photo of the stones (the black and white looking image), said to be a great matched pair of OECs, H VS and very round and undamaged. In this picture it seemed to me that the one of the right was an OEC and the one on the left a transitional. I told the vendor that they were not a good enough match for me and that I wanted two like the one on the right. He said that the stones look the same to the naked eye and that finding a truly identical pair would be harder and end up costing more in the long run. He said that tables and weights and crowns don't matter much once set, what metters is color and diameter. I made it very clear in lots of e-mails that I wanted matched crowns and tables, and faceting style.

After trying my own luck for a few months I returned and asked him if the one of the left had a culet because it looked like it does not in the image. He wrote me back and said it did indeed have a culet and it is just the photo. He told me that he would let me return one stone if I wantes to keep only one, and would not charge "extra" for breaking up the pair. I opted to give it a try.

My photos are the color ones below. My instinct was right about the cut style differences. I think the vendor was hoping that the similarities and positives -- color, diameter, symmetry -- would win out for me. For many buyers they might have. But I wish the vendor had provided better photos and been more up front about the cut differences rather than minimizing them as I felt he did so I could have made an informed decision prior to paying to see them. Because I am international shipping was higher, so I lost money in this transaction because of this issue.

Hey Dreamer, I've been gone for most of the day, so I didn't get to respond in your Preloved thread before it got locked up.

I hope my question didn't offend...I in NO WAY meant that you were selling subpar stones to someone else (and I think based on your response above, you undestood that.) I think you represented the stones very accurately and I do also understand that to the naked eye, they look like they match. My question was definitely about the VENDOR, not the stones. The vendor sold them as a match, and if I were a consumer, buying from the vendor, I don't think I would consider it so. I heard from people that the vendor was reputable, so my question was based on your one transaction, how do you feel about the vendors representation of the product? You answered it well, so I thank you for your opinion. I was a little wary of the pics I was seeing, and based on your experience, I think I'll continue to be wary. I'm sure the vendor is honest (because based on your description, I think the vendor was trying to be, and probably had no idea how picky we PSers are), but I'm not as picky as you often say you are, and I agree that it wouldn't have worked for me if I bought those to "match."

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, did you ask for better photos? And if so, did they say they wouldn't take them?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey TGal, no offense taken. I just felt in that thread that with so many people talking about how the stones don't match, or saying it would bother them, or something, it just was the wrong place given someone bought them and was happy with the different styles. I knew you meant to question the vendor, but didn't know if *others* would get that, all the silent masses, which is why I said the things I did to make sure my position was clear.

Anyways, I was happy with the communication of the vendor. In this particular case I did not ask for a profile shot and I probably should have. But I did ask for shots like that of another stone I was considering and they provided them. And about 6-8 months ago I asked for a better photo of another stone and they provided it too. I did ask for pictures once that were not black and white looking and those they could not give. I have no idea what they lighting setup is or how they alter/adjust the pics but that is just their setup I guess. I am not a fan because you can't get a sense of the faceting or the stone's personality, but that's their approach for whatever reason.

They responded to my e-mails quickly, and when I did not reply for a few days after a communication they contacted me again to follow up (not in a pushy way, in a good way). In the grang scheme, I was very impressed with their customer service.

I think the vendor was trying to walk the line between honestly presenting the stones for what they were and also wanting to make a sale. Like most vendors. I have had similar expeirences with many of our PS vendors, with clarity for example, or body color of the stones. I can understand where they come from: If we see the diamond there is a good chance we will like it and keep it; if they are too harsh, then its a guarantee we won't buy it.

But its hard for those of us -- or maybe just me -- who are in the 99th percentile for pickiness about some aspect of their jewelery (for me, cut, color, eye cleanliness, and prong work. HA!). There are very very very few vendors who understand that mindset, and even fewer who want to deal with it ;))

My preference would have been for him to err on the side of over honesty and just say to me: "Hey these two stones are the same diameter, both very nice and round, and matched in color, but different faceting, crown heights and tables. I think the former matter more and are the most important when looking for pairs, but there is no question the latter differ." I would have opted out at that point. But, he sells to lots of people. I said in the other thread that my reaction when I opened the package and saw the stones was "Oooh pretty!". I think that is where about 95% of his buyers would stop. But I go further, and that's when my second reaction looking closer was "Yeah, those are not the same faceting."

I think if I had been more steadfast in my desires he *may* have been able to find what I wanted, but the fact is that these old cuts are hard to find and well cut, undamaged, small guys like this that are matched even in the ways these two were, are rare. I got the feeling he does not have many pairs. He mentioned one other pair. And looking at OWDs inventory, as a comparison, they don't have any small pairs and very few small guys!

I knew from the photos that there was a good chance these would not be matched enough for me, so I knew it was a risk. But his description and the photo did not accurately represent how different they were -- the photo minimized the table difference, he did tell me the tranny stone had a culet (though this might have been a miscommunication looking back at our e-mails), and he did not mention the crown heights. I would work with them again, though, based on the customer service I received. But I would ask for many many more photos and would explicitly ask for table % estimates, depth & estimates, and crown heights, to take the guess work out of it.

ETA: I would have probably kept the pair if I was still looking for 4mm couples, and kept looking on my own for mates for one or both of them, selling the "leftovers", because that seems to work best when looking for pairs and these two were nice examples of their types and so round and white and undamaged, they would have been worth keeping. But since I decided I want larger sides if I go the three stone route, it made more sense to pass them along.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
***peeks around the corner***

Just thought I'd pop in to contribute since I'm the one who bought the stones. :)) I thought Dreamer was very accurate in her description of the stones and the pictures really do tell the story. When we were emailing about the purchase, she double-checked that I was okay about them basically being an OEC and a transitional, so I was in no doubt as to what I was buying.

Now, prior to PS (when I knew nothing of old cuts whatsoever), if a vendor had shown me those diamonds and told me they were a matched pair, I would've laughed at them and wished them luck in trying to pawn them off on some other unsuspecting bozo. I wouldn't have been able to articulate anything about crown angles, culets, or table size, but I would've said, "Hey! They're not even the same shape when you look at them from the side!" :lol:

HOWEVER, since joining PS, I've learned that finding matching old cuts is pretty much impossible (especially if buying them one at a time) so my options were to 1) continue the buy and return process for the next five years or 2) step back and start deciding what constituted a good matched pair for me.

These little stones meet my criteria for a matched pair because:

1. they're the same diameter
2. they're the same colour
3. they're eye clean
4. they're small enough that their faceting patterns will be similar when viewed from a normal distance

The added bonuses were that they had already been vetted by a PSer whose opinion I trust, and they were available for a good price.

My plan is to use them as side stones in a 3-stone ring*** and no one in the world (other than my PS friends!) will notice that they're two different cuts.

If these stones were 5mm or larger and sold as a matched pair, I absolutely would not buy them because they aren't technically a matched pair, but these are just wee little babies and will look the same from a distance. Fraternal twins, as Dreamer referred to them in the pre-loved thread. ;))

***My three-stone project has just turned into a five-stone project as of about five minutes ago! I bought a little 3-stone ring from eBay for £100 the other day. It was a last second snipe bid on an auction with no other bidders, one horrible blurry pic, and very little description. I expected three 3mm MRBs (to use in a little project for my soon-to-be sister-in-law) and received a horrible, gunky, gross little ring. After 15 minutes in my ultrasonic cleaner (while I was typing all of the above!), I found two perfectly matched eye clean 3.5mm OECs and a 3.5mm transitional! Guess where those two OECs are going?! :naughty:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
What great luck. I would love to see pictures of your new little blingies. What style of 5-stone setting are you going to have made? I can hardly wait to see. The stones from dreamer looked wonderful and well matched.
How do the facet patterns look compared against your new stones?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I just wanted to say that I do like Diamond Zone and would also buy from them again, but I am like Dreamer in being picky so I couldn't have handled the match either. I think they are both great stones, though, and I briefly considered whether I should buy them to find other matches or use them separately because I saw the listing very soon after Dreamer posted. I just didn't because my current project involves finding a sapphire, so I didn't need to spend the money. I think the lesson learned for all of us is that we have to see the side shots in order to know if the match is good enough for what we have in mind. I doubt DZ will often have a match and probably wouldn't even ask because they really don't have a supply of old diamonds. According to what they told me when I first contacted them, they have a few loose stones and several antique rings, and I am thinking they might have removed one of those stones from a ring. So I don't consider them really a source for matched pairs anyway. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I will probably have to use AVR's if I ever need a pair because I need matched pairs to REALLY match. :)) But as Ellie said, the stones are very small and can work in a project she wants them for, so that is great that they found the right home!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results