shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my three stone ring

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see comparison shots of your options.

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
I think it depends on what the overall look is that you want....the .70 in it looks more equal in the setting to the rubies. The 1 carat stood out more over the rubies and was what my eye was drawn to first.
I get the impression you want the 1 carat to be in it, what was your gut instinct when you saw the 1 carat in it vs the .70?
Listen to whatever the instinct was on first looking at the 2 stones in it....ultimately if you want the 1 carat but try to use the .70 due to the cost that was involved with setting the 1 carat, Id venture to guess at some point you may change it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The main problem with my two attemps at finding side stones was that the seller said they were 4mm and they showed up and were actually 3.7mm 8) So too small. The first set was a pair on stones in a bypass type ring. They looked really promising in the photos but when they got here I found them not bright enough and just dark. Returned them. The ring I got yesterday that I returned was really nice, the diamond was lovely, but again too small. I think if I could find diamonds that were the right size -- ideally 4.00 to 4.2mm maximum -- that looked like the stone in that ring I would like them.

Mara That is good to hear. Maybe I need to keep trying :rolleyes:

The dealer I contacted has not gotten back to me yet. If he does not or the diamonds are gone, then I will search on my own a little more. I am not in a mad rush. I do want to get this right!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331829865|3149279 said:
The main problem with my two attemps at finding side stones was that the seller said they were 4mm and they showed up and were actually 3.7mm 8) So too small. The first set was a pair on stones in a bypass type ring. They looked really promising in the photos but when they got here I found them not bright enough and just dark. Returned them. The ring I got yesterday that I returned was really nice, the diamond was lovely, but again too small. I think if I could find diamonds that were the right size -- ideally 4.00 to 4.2mm maximum -- that looked like the stone in that ring I would like them.

The dealer I contacted has not gotten back to me yet. If he does not or the diamonds are gone, then I will search on my own a little more. I am not in a mad rush. I do want to get this right!

Yeah, don't rush. Part of the fun is in the hunt. If the project is over, you're be bored, lol. ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331829956|3149280 said:

Yeah, don't rush. Part of the fun is in the hunt. If the project is over, you're be bored, lol. ::)

LOL! TRUE! Then I would just have to find another project. Dang.

I do have three "extra" loose OECs hanging around now. I need to think about what to do with those. Unfortunately, none match or I would have studs!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331830171|3149281 said:

I do have three "extra" loose OECs hanging around now. I need to think about what to do with those. Unfortunately, none match or I would have studs!

LOL, who else but a PSer would just have extra loose diamonds just hanging around. Most of the world can only dream..... :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331830701|3149286 said:

LOL, who else but a PSer would just have extra loose diamonds just hanging around. Most of the world can only dream..... :))

You re mighty philosophical these days! :tongue: But I hear you. Conspicuous consumption is out of control. Forget diamonds, just our refrigerators alone -- their contents I mean -- would dumbfound most of the world.

In my defense, I did save these diamonds from dirt and grime and a life not worth living. I am being philanthropic.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331832031|3149304 said:
You re mighty philosophical these days! :tongue: But I hear you. Conspicuous consumption is out of control. Forget diamonds, just our refrigerators alone -- their contents I mean -- would dumbfound most of the world.

In my defense, I did save these diamonds from dirt and grime and a life not worth living. I am being philanthropic.

Ha, I am just thinking about it more since I have this project of mine and it's engrossing and I think: geez, what a problem to have, and I'm fortunate.

Question, if you could buy the center and the sides altogether, and they match and are the right size, would you consider buying all three at a good price? And no, I'm not talking about buying my brooch!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUr definitions of "good price" might vary ;))

The only way I would even consider a different center and sides is if they were awesome, well matched, no nicks or dings, center at least 6mm and sides 4mm, better than J color, and the whole shebang cost less than $1800.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1331832680|3149314 said:

Ha, I am just thinking about it more since I have this project of mine and it's engrossing and I think: geez, what a problem to have, and I'm fortunate.

Question, if you could buy the center and the sides altogether, and they match and are the right size, would you consider buying all three at a good price? And no, I'm not talking about buying my brooch!

The contents of our larder would dumbfound most people. DH's Ramen compulsion defies belief!

I did have a possibly-useful comment - what about getting a couple of fakie 4mm OECs? They'd be about as good as it gets in terms of light return...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331833710|3149329 said:

The only way I would even consider a different center and sides is if they were awesome, well matched, no nicks or dings, center at least 6mm and sides 4mm, better than J color, and the whole shebang cost less than $1800.

Ah then, nope...don't think this is going to work for you!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1331833842|3149331 said:
TravelingGal|1331832680|3149314 said:

The contents of our larder would dumbfound most people. DH's Ramen compulsion defies belief!

I did have a possibly-useful comment - what about getting a couple of fakie 4mm OECs? They'd be about as good as it gets in terms of light return...

"you knows?" for Dreamer? No way.....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am willing & able to rescue any diamonds from a life of dirt & grime at my recently conceived Deco's Diamond Rescue charitable foundation. (Still awaiting approval as a tax-deductible non-profit. Also awaiting application of any kind for such. Expect a long wait.)

Your unwanted filth-covered gems will get daily baths, walks in the park, and lots of petting (with gloves of course). They'll also be trained as Service Gems and taken to old age homes in the area to cheer up residents with their sparkle.

Ping me for more information! I'll be waiting by my Post Office box. Please poke a couple of holes in the padded envelopes for shipping safety & gem comfort. But not TOO big. :tongue:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

TGal I think Yssie meant for seeing if I liked smaller OECs not for permanent use. She is well aware of my aversion to Voldemort stones!

I got some! And they look nice. Actually, I found a cheap place online and ordered a whole bunch in difference sizes, so much better than little paper cut outs let me tell you! LOL! I would never *use* them in the ring, but for giving a sense of the appearance it helped a lot. That is what convinced DH he wanted diamonds. Ultimately, his love of having a blinged out wife overcame any particular desire for birth stone symbolism :tongue:

I have just placed my order from the dealer for the 4mm pair. I got them from DiamondZone on ebay. I messaged them and asked if they had something like I wanted and it turned out they did. He sent me photos and has offered excellent service so far. He has a good return policy, so if they don't work I can send them back. While it pained me to pay more than a rock bottom price ;)) his prices were about $100 per stone less than full retail (OWD). I can live with that.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331833943|3149333 said:

I did not pay so little for my own 1ct and sides, but the only way it would make sense to buy ANOTHER stone is if the center was such a huge deal, you know? It would have to be significantly less than I paid for my 1ct, and that was a good deal. A Dreamer Good Deal, which is a tough level of cheapness to hit.

But I am curious! Did you find another suite or do you know someone personally?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will like diamond sides better. The rubies are beautiful, but nothing has that eye catching sparkle like a diamond!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331834538|3149338 said:

TGal I think Yssie meant for seeing if I liked smaller OECs not for permanent use. She is well aware of my aversion to Voldemort stones!

I got some! And they look nice. Actually, I found a cheap place online and ordered a whole bunch in difference sizes, so much better than little paper cut outs let me tell you! LOL! I would never *use* them in the ring, but for giving a sense of the appearance it helped a lot. That is what convinced DH he wanted diamonds. Ultimately, his love of having a blinged out wife overcame any particular desire for birth stone symbolism :tongue:

I have just placed my order from the dealer for the 4mm pair. I got them from DiamondZone on ebay. I messaged them and asked if they had something like I wanted and it turned out they did. He sent me photos and has offered excellent service so far. He has a good return policy, so if they don't work I can send them back. While it pained me to pay more than a rock bottom price ;)) his prices were about $100 per stone less than full retail (OWD). I can live with that.

voldemort stones, lol.

I hear some people like diamondzone. I see their pics all the time, but the stuff almost seems too cheap sometimes. Not sure about the quality of their settings (I looked for fun).

Well, considering you got the mount for a great price, plus your center stone, if you are getting 4mms, they can't cost THAT much more than a total steal, right? Just trying to make it less painful for you...hehehe.

Deco, my brooch needs a good walking. It's sitting here in the bag it came in and the bag, sadly, smells of smoke. :knockout:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1331834487|3149336 said:
I am willing & able to rescue any diamonds from a life of dirt & grime at my recently conceived Deco's Diamond Rescue charitable foundation. (Still awaiting approval as a tax-deductible non-profit. Also awaiting application of any kind for such. Expect a long wait.)

Your unwanted filth-covered gems will get daily baths, walks in the park, and lots of petting (with gloves of course). They'll also be trained as Service Gems and taken to old age homes in the area to cheer up residents with their sparkle.

Ping me for more information! I'll be waiting by my Post Office box. Please poke a couple of holes in the padded envelopes for shipping safety & gem comfort. But not TOO big. :tongue:

LOL!

See the problem with being a diamond rescue operation is you have to pay a hefty ransom to free the poor little beasties :nono:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331834726|3149342 said:
TravelingGal|1331833943|3149333 said:

I did not pay so little for my own 1ct and sides, but the only way it would make sense to buy ANOTHER stone is if the center was such a huge deal, you know? It would have to be significantly less than I paid for my 1ct, and that was a good deal. A Dreamer Good Deal, which is a tough level of cheapness to hit.

But I am curious! Did you find another suite or do you know someone personally?

Found something on the net...go fish!

I was thinking you'd sell the .7 for a profit and be able to get the entire suite for probably not much more if you consider what you are paying for the diamondzone stones, but I have no idea what you paid for the .7.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:
TravelingGal|1331830701|3149286 said:

haha

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1331834757|3149343 said:
I think you will like diamond sides better. The rubies are beautiful, but nothing has that eye catching sparkle like a diamond!

It is true. I would love to love colored gems, but so far diamonds win out. Although, I do like really big gems. My mom's peridot is about 3ct or something, and THAT is a gem I can get behind!

How is your own three stone coming? Will you set those stones anytime soon?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never mind. I have the answer:

1. Get the 4mm diamond sides
2. Get a 6.3mm coloured center
3. Sell everything but the 1ct OEC
4. Use the funds to buy another 1ct OEC

:devil:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331834828|3149346 said:
voldemort stones, lol.

I hear some people like diamondzone. I see their pics all the time, but the stuff almost seems too cheap sometimes. Not sure about the quality of their settings (I looked for fun).

Well, considering you got the mount for a great price, plus your center stone, if you are getting 4mms, they can't cost THAT much more than a total steal, right? Just trying to make it less painful for you...hehehe.

No, maybe $200 more for the pair that I could theoretical have found, but I think finding these little guys is really really hard, especially well cut ones. I imagine without modern technology it was really hard to cut such small stones with much precision! But I could be wrong.

DZ seems to have two different types of settings -- true antiques that have stones in them, and then reproductions that are very inexpensive and light weight. Their diamonds, though, are well priced in my opinion. And, their in house grading is accurate. I was talking the them about a diamond to match my 0.58ct and they had one that they in house graded as an I Si1. I did not buy it. And now it is on their site with a GIA report -- as they told me they would obtain -- and it is an I VS1 I think. So that is pretty good.

LOL Yssie, there is always that option! It assumes anyone will even want to buy these diamonds, I always worry I will get "stuck" with something. haha. First world problems again :wacko:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331837087|3149410 said:
TravelingGal|1331834828|3149346 said:
voldemort stones, lol.

No, maybe $200 more for the pair that I could theoretical have found, but I think finding these little guys is really really hard, especially well cut ones. I imagine without modern technology it was really hard to cut such small stones with much precision! But I could be wrong.

DZ seems to have two different types of settings -- true antiques that have stones in them, and then reproductions that are very inexpensive and light weight. Their diamonds, though, are well priced in my opinion. And, their in house grading is accurate. I was talking the them about a diamond to match my 0.58ct and they had one that they in house graded as an I Si1. I did not buy it. And now it is on their site with a GIA report -- as they told me they would obtain -- and it is an I VS1 I think. So that is pretty good.

LOL Yssie, there is always that option! It assumes anyone will even want to buy these diamonds, I always worry I will get "stuck" with something. haha. First world problems again :wacko:

$200 more if these works out ain't bad. And thanks for the tip about DZ.

Here's hoping it works for ya...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer, did I miss the post where you had decided what you were going to do? or are you still in the decision making process? That's the fun part - entertaining all the possibilities!

I doubt you'd ever get "stuck" with any OEC's... there is quite a following for them on PS now

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi the only decision I made is to order the 4mm sides! Whe nthey arrive I will be able to concretely see all the options and make up my mind!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331838322|3149429 said:
Enerchi the only decision I made is to order the 4mm sides! Whe nthey arrive I will be able to concretely see all the options and make up my mind!

Well that's an EXCELLENT decision! Diamonds won't go bad or get spoiled while they await your setting plans - tee hee ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
An interesting development.

I had ordered a pendant on the vendor's statement that the diamond was "approximately 5mm". The photos were TERRIBLE, worst I have seen, but I took a gamble for a very low price. The pendant arrived and it is STUNNING with the most gorgeous 4.2mm diamond. So obviously small OECs can be lovely! Can't wait to get the pair I ordered.

I had planned to cannibalize the pendant for the diamond, but it is too beautiful. I will post a thread in SMTB.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:

I had ordered a pendant on the vendor's statement that the diamond was "approximately 5mm". The photos were TERRIBLE, worst I have seen, but I took a gamble for a very low price. The pendant arrived and it is STUNNING with the most gorgeous 4.2mm diamond. So obviously small OECs can be lovely! Can't wait to get the pair I ordered.

I had planned to cannibalize the pendant for the diamond, but it is too beautiful. I will post a thread in SMTB.

:)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331841056|3149453 said:

Ooh! Now how many of these puppies do you have? And it's the right size...find a match! I smell a three stone diamond ring in your near future. Fingers crossed!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results