shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my three stone ring

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think matches are so hard. I'm sitting here wearing a beautiful 3 stone ring from the 20's, the sides are about 3.5 mm, and they don't match perfectly. There's a colour difference so I can always tell if my ring is right side up or not. It doesn't bother me, but I do notice it. I also bought tons of stones about 5 yrs ago to make a matched set for earrings. My earrings match, nearly perfection. Dreamer, I think you'd approve! I can tell them apart with a loupe because of the crowns, but that's it. It took me nearly a year of buying every 1/3 carat out there to find a match. I sold all the others, not finding them suitable enough for me, and now wish I'd kept one pair which someone else bought as a match.

I agree, these stones aren't perfection, but even in rings from the time period the crowns are often pretty different. More and more I'm starting to think I'm too picky and have re-sold perfectly good stones that no one else can see the difference in.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks DD, glad you knew where I was coming from. When I first started doing searches, I want to find a way to omit that vendor from my searches because I found the listings pervasive and kind of annoying...so I was surprised to find out PSers think they're a decent vendor. Since then I've looked a little more carefully at their listings, but I still wondered a bit....

Ellie, I agree, that was I guess what I was saying...I think they are matched, but I wouldn't want to buy them AS a matched pair from a vendor. My two sidestones also have a crown difference and I know it won't bother me, but I like that all three stones are coming from the some piece. If I purchased these (my) two stones as a pair, it might bother me.

Seems like the vendor is good, but we just all need to buy based on our standards. Nothing wrong with that.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if DZ continues to get business from PSers they will adjust to "PS norms and standards" for both goods and naming/representation soon enough.

I bought a pair of antiques (my old OEC studs, now the first pair of sides in my mother's five stone) from mlopros some time ago. Mike refused to call them a "match", though he did say that they looked good together - the distinction Tgal highlights. I am quite picky as well, especially about facet patterning, and IMO they most definitely merit the "matched pair" description. At that point mlopros was quite popular on PS so if there was an adjustment period (and I assume there was, how could there not be?) I missed it.

ellie good luck with your five stone project! Matching antiques by yourself is definitely tough. What are you thinking re. settings?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Girl, get your BUTT OVER HERE. You need an intervention!!! :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol! :tongue: This is a passtime! An H-O-B-B-Y! No one gets hurt, I am not losing money. In fact you could argue my love of change makes others really happy -- they get lovely stones, they get entertainment. Why the need for an intervention?

In all seriousness, I had all the stones and a setting in my hand to make a three stone and it was not right!! I got to do a real world test drive, so to speak -- when do we get to do that? -- and my head did not spin around. The rubies, while gorgeous, did not scratch the three-stone itch, which to me means three diamonds. The 4mm OECs were not doing it for me because they look *basically* like RBs in that size, the faceting is not appreciable enough for me. And I was not wild about the proportions of the 1ct with the 70s, perfect storm be darned! And I adore the 70s in studs! The perfect size and I never thought I would get such big ones. I would not want any bigger at all! Really, they are ridiculously glamourous and I feel so fancy wearing them, so classy, they are the perfect accompaniment for my blingy band, they provide balance that I did not even know I needed. And they look so great even wearing sweats.

Actually, I don`t think the 70s are ring stones for me. You know I have a critical eye, and these two little pretties are juuuuust different enough and wonky enough that I would notice it in a ring. I think I might be too critical to stick old cuts in a three stone, to be honest. That might be better with modern RBs, which I still adore of course.

My Aurora has really spoiled me for blinginess, though. Nothing can compete. It is a problem. :devil:

The one carat is divine, it is symmetric and performs really well. But it is not the size I want in a solitaire! *shrug* what is a girl to do?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL...I am just interested in what you would want! Because I loved that .97!!

I think you said 7mm+ spread, right? I tried on a 7mm+ recently, and I have to say....it wasn't big enough for me to bother. :o Not for a solitaire. Don't get me wrong...I love my 6mm cushion and really don't suffer from DSS with it, but a 7mm+ wasn't different enough (unless it a blingtastic setting) for me to covet it. Weird eh? I tried on big three stone ring and pow! Different story.

So I totally get the bling factor thing. How big do you want if you're going solitaire?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, so you're scrapping the 3 stone ring idea? I thought you would really love it! You have been lusting after a 3 stone ring forever girl!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1333481631|3162658 said:
Aww, so you're scrapping the 3 stone ring idea? I thought you would really love it! You have been lusting after a 3 stone ring forever girl!

I know! But I think it needs to be modern RBs for me to really have what I want, and that is not in the cards any time soon. You can't buy big modern RBs that have super cuts on ebay for the price you can buy old cuts. Unfortunately ::)

Somehow when I had the stones in person on my hand in the setting, it was not right! It was not blingy enough that I would wear it in place of my Aurora, and it was too similar to my Aurora for a RHR, looked like its poor cousin ;)) I told you, the wattage of my blingy band is a problem! :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1333481126|3162650 said:

I think you said 7mm+ spread, right? I tried on a 7mm+ recently, and I have to say....it wasn't big enough for me to bother. :o Not for a solitaire. Don't get me wrong...I love my 6mm cushion and really don't suffer from DSS with it, but a 7mm+ wasn't different enough (unless it a blingtastic setting) for me to covet it. Weird eh? I tried on big three stone ring and pow! Different story.

So I totally get the bling factor thing. How big do you want if you're going solitaire?

For you, a big three stone is perfect because you *have* a solitaire! I have a big finger-o-bling ring, and want something different.

Yeaaaahhhh.... I might agree with you on the 7mm. That is the ideal size for a three stone. But I really think that a three stone cannot compete with my Aurora, I need a compliment to it. And that means solitaire. A halo style also looks really good -- I tried one on once and it looks smashing as a RHR, and I did think about doing that for the 1ct. But in my heart I want a big old cut where I can really and truly appreciate the faceting. My interest in larger diamond is not just about finger coverage but in optics. I will wait for the holy grail. We have seen what *can* be found. I am in no hurry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't blame you. I would have mind-issues trying to match three old stones to be worn next to each other, too. I'd have to do AVR's, probably (or regular rb's).

I think the one you are selling is a great buy for someone needing an e-ring, though!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1333485042|3162697 said:
TravelingGal|1333481126|3162650 said:

For you, a big three stone is perfect because you *have* a solitaire! I have a big finger-o-bling ring, and want something different.

Yeaaaahhhh.... I might agree with you on the 7mm. That is the ideal size for a three stone. But I really think that a three stone cannot compete with my Aurora, I need a compliment to it. And that means solitaire. A halo style also looks really good -- I tried one on once and it looks smashing as a RHR, and I did think about doing that for the 1ct. But in my heart I want a big old cut where I can really and truly appreciate the faceting. My interest in larger diamond is not just about finger coverage but in optics. I will wait for the holy grail. We have seen what *can* be found. I am in no hurry.

So... just how big are we talking, o wise ones? :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
10mm?

:tongue:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1333489651|3162766 said:

10 mm of oec deliciousness would be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. That would be one heck of a ring :naughty: lol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1333501838|3162936 said:

10 mm of oec deliciousness would be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. That would be one heck of a ring :naughty: lol

haha! It won't happen anytime soon let me tell you! Just dreaming. I would just keep an eye out, the right thing will find me.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1333507164|3163001 said:
armywife13|1333501838|3162936 said:

haha! It won't happen anytime soon let me tell you! Just dreaming. I would just keep an eye out, the right thing will find me.
I am sure it will, you have quite an eye for finding some beauties! I really need to take some lessons, once I am finishes funneling money into my ring, my ears will be needing some love in the form of OECs :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results