shape
carat
color
clarity

Now that you have your Ering - has your taste changed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thought: everyone''s taste changes over time, and after reading that thread "what is your favorite and least favorite cuts?" I realize how many of us used to like some things but have since chaned their minds.

I used to love princess cuts, but only because I''m not a big fan of RBs and didn''t realize there were so many other cuts out there besides rounds and princess squares.

When I pointed my fiance in the right direction with my ering, I knew I was in love with ECs and TOTALLY in love with the halo setting I have now - but since I''ve been on PS I''ve realized that my absolute favorite cut is cushion (not that I would give up my beloved EC for one, but...). Anyone else have a story like this? Do share...

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly do! Before I was engaged, I desperetly wanted a princess cut. I changed my mind when we started to talk about diamonds and received a RB. Almost 8 years later I am loving pears, emeralds, radiants, cushions, and ashers! Turns out the only cut I''m not craving is the princess! I do still love my RB but would like a little variety since I have a round pendant, studs, and side stones too. I also insisted on yellow gold which I have tired of. I''m hoping to update my currant set soon, then work on finding a different cut diamond.
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think my taste has changed somewhat, but it changed from when we initially looked at rings. When we first started shopping for engagement rings, my FI and I were looking at emerald and asscher cuts. I thought RBs were the standard and I wanted something a little different. We looked for a long time before I kept coming back to Kaleigh''s picture of her RB with pear sides. I had also seen and loved the "Leah" ring on Knox''s website (it''s a RB with pear sapphires in a trellis setting). We ended up completely changing our minds then and decided that that combination was what we wanted (we ended up going with all diamonds instead of sappphire sides). A couple of months later, WF made our ring and it''s perfect. It''s not at all what I thought I wanted but I''m really glad we went with this look. The sparkles get me every time, and I don''t think I would have necessarily gotten that had I gone with what I initially wanted. Those sparkles, they suck you in...
1.gif

Having said that, I would LOVE to get an asscher RHR someday.
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, I read both threads, which made me start this thread...
4.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine did...I used to not really like RB''s at all, thought they were rather "boring". Fast forward 10 years...when working to create my three stone ring, all I wanted were RB''s!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
For as long as I can remember, I''ve wanted a square cut emerald or an asscher...but lo and behold! When the time came to shop for real, it''s an entirely different process and I realized that th size ECs in our budget were still pretty small on my large fingers and didn''t look so great. I never gravitated to RBs but I''ve always admired a Tiffany style solitaire or a 3 stone ring. But when I saw my old cut antique round in the shop window, all my opinions flew out the window..I dont think I''ll ever tire of my ering. I adore it. Rounds actually look better to me, on larger fingers...more feminine.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My taste COMPLETELY changed!! I used to love marquise and pears. My ering was a pear solitaire and then a wrap for my wring. It looks SOO dated to me!! I''ve actually seen the same set a handful of times through the years, and I''ve asked when they were married. Same year as me. I can''t stand to have something EVERYONE has, and my tastes have really changed. I no longer found my pear to be the MOST beautiful like I once had. Now, I LOVE OECs, asschers, and cushions (my upgrade is cushion). There was a time when I didn''t "get" asschers. Now, I''m drawn to them like a moth to a flame. Guess that''s why I joined PS!!
21.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My taste has changed somewhat, ie. I was never a fan of solitaires AT ALL, and having been ''exposed'' to so many, particularly on PS, now I ADORE the look, especially with an eternity band. I do, however, LOVE my Ering to death and I think contemplated resetting it for about 30 seconds, and the thought has not once entered my head since!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2007 5:31:00 PM
Author: zoebartlett

... Those sparkles, they suck you in...
1.gif
THAT is a priceless quote, and oughtta be your new TAG LINE, my dear!
2.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Mine have- I used to just love antique rings (they are very popular, esp a few years ago when Kate Hudson and Reese Witherspoon had those Neil Lane Asschers!) but after a while, I wanted something more simple. I always liked rounds, but love step-cuts. I no longer LOVE asschers, but I still love emerald cuts and now I LOVE rounds, too!

My Mom got married in the early 80s with nearly a 1ct Marquise in a heavy yellow-gold, cathedral mounting. Very stylish then...not so much now....BUT SHE STILL LOVES IT AND WOULD PICK IT ALL OVER AGAIN! I am happy for her!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still happy with my RB but wish my rings had more sparkle. I picked a wedding set with a total of .33 ct pc that are set in the bands; the reasons we both liked this set is the daimond were subtle and didn''t detract from the center stone. However, my first wedding set had a channel set anniversary band and I miss that sparkle. I have tried on several anniversary bands with my current set and don''t like them because they distract from the center stone. If I ever upgrade I will get a larger RB in a solitaire setting and a prong mounted anniversary band.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I still adore my EC, but I have found myself gravitating lately towards the older looking stones- cushions, OEC'S. I would love to have one one day!! I would also like to upgrade my EC eventually....Who knows, so many options!!!
2.gif

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i started off preferring modern tension-set rings with lots of polished metal and a smaller stone. part of it was due to my husband''s enthusiasm for clean, sleek lines and less ostentatious diamonds, which reinforced my own tastes. so that''s what we ended up buying.

we bought a thin band of sparkles, which i thought would balance the wide band. it still has a lot of metal and looks more modern than traditional. a year later, my mom thought i should use her 1ct stone and buy the matching e-ring setting for the wb. more sparkles, still modern.

right now i''m in love with Hannah Clark''s organic solitaire settings in rose and yellow gold, but they wouldn''t go with my WG and platinum rings. my tastes are so eclectic/eccentric, and most days i wear a simple rose gold band with A M O R engraved on the outside. when we upgrade the stone, i will probably go with Mark Morell, especially since we live two towns away from him.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been an EC fan since day 1. Once I saw an Asscher, I was completely smitten, and completely sold. I don''t think I''ve once felt as if the ring my husband gave me wasn''t THE ONE for me. I''m sure 10 years down the road I may feel a bit differently, but for the time being, I couldn''t love my engagement ring anymore than I do!

However, I would still love a giant EC as a RHR.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my pref for stone shape has not changed, though i have definitely garnered more appreciation for exceptionally cut princess stones in the last 2 years...but my setting style has changed for sure i think. i am totally over the whole eternity band setting thing. which is what my set is. i may actually change it in the next year or two but it would be a committment so i just like to think about it. people still seem to love my ring, and i do too because it''s my ring set, and i do have some sentimental feelings towards it, but i feel like my taste is so much more simple now. or maybe it was always simple but i got blingded. hehee. so we''ll see.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2007 12:34:20 PM
Author: Mara
my pref for stone shape has not changed, though i have definitely garnered more appreciation for exceptionally cut princess stones in the last 2 years...but my setting style has changed for sure i think. i am totally over the whole eternity band setting thing. which is what my set is. i may actually change it in the next year or two but it would be a committment so i just like to think about it. people still seem to love my ring, and i do too because it''s my ring set, and i do have some sentimental feelings towards it, but i feel like my taste is so much more simple now. or maybe it was always simple but i got blingded. hehee. so we''ll see.
lol! New word - ''blingded''... I wonder if I can work that into a conversation!

I love your ring Mara, in fact every time I see it I think, ''ooh I really want one like that''!! Feel free to send your setting my way when you decide to change!
9.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Mara: thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I have a semi-eternity band set right now, and I can totally see simplyfying my engagement ring setting to something w/o pave *at some point.* Are you thinking to change the entire set or keeping the eternity wedding band and changing your engagement ring setting?

I guess I should also answer the question posed in this thread. Yes, my tastes have changed and I am really surprised about the change. After spending so much time deciding on a setting, I am considering a change after a year of wear. Now I am considering a three stone setting which is totally opposite to the styles I favored during our engagement ring search.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
onedrop, i''d keep my wedding ring if i could, i really don''t want to change that. i really still love the ritani solitaire simple ring, so it fits well with my wedding ring which is perfect. so that is what i''d lean towards definitely if i were to change. that way i could keep my w-ring and switch out my e-ring. and it''s not to say that i wouldn''t go back to the original e-ring, i would plan to keep it...and maybe switchie changie like every few years or something. who knows!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2007 12:34:20 PM
Author: Mara

i''m feeling the same way (although my wedding set is only half-eternity). right now i''m a fan of the eternity band with a solitaire, or even a plain band with a solitaire, because i''d rather the stone take center stage. my new eternity band was purchased with this possibility in mind, but i''ll always love my original set.

i still think your set is very classic and pretty, though. that stone is gorgeous and definitely stands out amongst all that blinginess!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope mine hasn''t. My favourite ring as a package has always been a tiffany lucida, ever since I laid sight of it on the internet years ago and it is still my favourite ring that I have ever seen. I just love the diamond and the setting, to me, is to die for.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
mara: i totally agree with you about the wedding band having sentiment. That''s the thing stopping me from completely changing my wedding set. Like you, I want to keep my wedding band of possible. Decisions, decisions! BTW I think the Ritani you were talking about would look amazing with your eternity wedding band.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My love of the round hasn''t changed. If I purchased a new eng. ring, it''d still have a similar stone - size, shape, and color - but slightly bigger. The only aspect of my wedding set I wish was different was the option to mix and match. It''d be nice to have a few wedding bands to alternate between and that could be worn alone, together, and then with my eng. ring.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My tastes have changed somewhat. I originally liked fancies more than rounds for their uniqueness and I prefer rectangular shapes. However, after being captured by the incredible sparkle of my five stone round band I definitely have been swayed to prefering rounds now. My setting tastes are mostly similar. I still like delicate pave settings in white metals. However, I have an added appreciation for simple U shapes, trellis settings, etc. but I wouldn''t want them for my e-ring, but I think they are great for wedding bands, rhr''s, etc.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve actually seen the same set a handful of times through the years, and I''ve asked when they were married. Same year as me. I can''t stand to have something EVERYONE has...

Sometimes I wonder if that will happen with me - when I first saw my halo setting online my breath stopped - it was so gorgeous, and nothing like I''d ever seen before!!! But that was before PS. Now halos seem like they''re EVERYWHERE!!! And not only PS, but right after I got engaged I went to NYC for work and a bunch of our customers had my exact same ring, emerald cut and all, only three or four times bigger! It was NYC, after all...

At first I thought "wow, I''m right on trend - as usual", patted myself on the back and went on my way. But now I wonder if I''ll look back and go "wow....my ring is so 2007." Strangely, though, what I was going for with the whole setting was a timeless, antique-meets-modern style. Oh well.

But I digress...
20.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2007 2:55:04 PM
Author: onedrop
mara: i totally agree with you about the wedding band having sentiment. That''s the thing stopping me from completely changing my wedding set. Like you, I want to keep my wedding band of possible. Decisions, decisions! BTW I think the Ritani you were talking about would look amazing with your eternity wedding band.
I have the same issue with my wband since when I do *update* my set it will change from yellow to white gold with an entirely different wband. I decided that at some point I will purchase DH''s birthstone and set it in something that will match my original wband. He is, after all, the one who buys me sparkles and I thought it would be nice.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have always had a pension for RB solitaires and will always prefer them. I wore one for 20 years with a eternity ring, and loved it. For my 20th I changed to a three stone ring of different shapes and am still loving the look. But my tastes have definately changed in regards to the eternity ring--I no longer like the look of it worn together with my ER.

If there were a Lotto win in my future, I would get another round (perhaps an old cut), and perhaps set it with two baugettes, ala HW. That look is so timeless and seemelsss, IMHO, it resembles a classic solitaire.

cheers--Sharon

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
As a little girl, I thought that the perfect e-ring was a solitaire round brilliant diamond. A half century later, I still think that is the perfect e-ring.

I think halos will go out of fashion in a few years. But, it really doesn't matter if you own one. It's yours, love it, and enjoy it. Fashion isn't all that important. You will go on with the business of life, work, raising children, nurturing your marriage. If you are fortunate to do well in life, you can go ahead and buy another diamond ring one day.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My tastes haven't changed, but I've been wearing this ring for less than 1 year. I'm sure eventually I'll prefer something else, but I hope that won't take away from my adoration of my original ring.

There are a couple "tweaks" I hope to make to this setting one day (filling in the "channel" around my bead-set sidestones... so that that part will look similar to Michael B's crown lace, as well as widening the shank a titch), but I'm hoping I'll always love its essential design elements... through to the end.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
My preference for stone shape hasn''t changed, I still adore H&A RBs and those will probably always be my favorite.

My setting tastes have changed, though... I never thought I was a solitaire girl, but PS has done a darn good job at changing THAT perception! So many gorgeous solitaires that really highlight the center stone and make it *POP*.

Sooooooooooo, if I was doing it again (which I''m not! Honey, don''t look at me like that!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
) I would get a Leon solitaire like Harriet''s, very thin shank and very simple design (although I''d try to get it with 6 prongs)... and I''d pair it with another simple, thin plain plat band --or-- maybe for a LITTLE added *bling*, a pave w-ring, like I already have.

But I do still adore my rings, and believe me, wearing them is NO HARDSHIP
2.gif
-- although it''s always fun to dream, right?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results