shape
carat
color
clarity

No one notices my new 5ctw e-ring upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
We will be happy to compliment your new ring if you will show it to us.......hint....hint....
2.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see this lovely ring.

I would say put this out of your mind and enjoy your new ring. But I do understand why you
wonder why no one has noticed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would notice but would not say anything.
Too many people have freaked out when I commented.
Guess its cuz im a guy.

Its like 5 to 1,, 1 would be really happy I noticed and we would talk diamonds, 5 would look at me like I was an alien and these were people I at least had seen around not strangers.
So no more ring comments from storm cept on PS!

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely notice and comment if you were a coworker or a friend. But that''s mostly because I really like diamonds!
9.gif
If you were standing next to me in line at the store, I would notice, but not comment.

All of us probably know people who are more observant-but even those people, as has been said, have a tendency to notice what interests them.

I suspect:
1. The people around you aren''t observent
37.gif

2. The people around you don''t care much about diamonds
38.gif

3. They have noticed but they don''t want to comment as they feel uncomfortable or you might feel uncomfortable
33.gif

4. All of the above!

Maybe we should start a poll-if so I reckon the first question should be: who wants to see PICS???
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 3:26:05 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

People don''t hesitate to comment if I wear my glasses instead of my contacts or if I wear a new sweater to work, or part my hair in the middle instead of the side... but a new anniv ring? NAH!!!!!! Oh well, I will be happy to share it all with you!
LWD, it could be that people are more likely to notice new glasses, a different part in your hair, or a new sweater. They may not be as prone to notice a piece of jewelry. That''s just how it is.

I changed my HAIR COLOR.....hello!!! Something you''d think people I see every day at work would surely notice because they look at ME when they see me/talk to me, right? Only two noticed; no one else did! And that''s something you look directly AT on a person.

There''s another thing, too. People are less likely to comment on things that make them feel inferior. You don''t have to be of any means to change the part in your hair. Most folks can chip for a new sweater or even new glasses. Not everyone can chip up for a ginormous stone, and pointing out something that others can''t afford themselves is likely to make them feel inferior. Most people prefer to feel like peers, so they''ll point out things that they share in common with you and bypass things that might suggest a lower status.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
If this is your biggest problem, then consider yourself lucky. Seriously. Most people just aren''t into diamonds like people here are, so I wouldn''t take offense to people not noticing. I worked with a woman who had a beautiful 5 carat emerald diamond. I noticed it all the time, but never said anything about it b/c she was so unassuming that I didn''t want to make her feel uncomfortable. If she had been a close friend and not just a coworker, I certainly would have mentioned it, but you just don''t know how people are going to react. I''m sure it is a stunning ring, so just enjoy it and please post pictures here so we can all enjoy it too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well Love, seems you''ve gotten every possible explanation under the sun, so I''ve nothing new to add.

I do know how you feel. You got a new pretty, you love it, you thought it would be nice if others loved it too. I would imagine some do, they''re just not saying so. The same thing happened to me with my upgrade. People around here rarely comment on such things, for a few reasons.

Now, having said all that, MAY I remind you I gushed unabashedly at your killer stone in that horrid temp setting. AND, I''ve been waiting very patiently to gush at it in the new setting. Get my drift??
11.gif

2.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I have only had friends and family for the most part comment on my jewelry. Sometimes a coworker will say I love your earrings or something but never an in dept discussion.

But I want to see pics of the HONKER!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand. . . it''s not about wanting everyone to notice, it''s about wanting someone to notice! LOL!
I tend to be generous w/ my compliments because it makes most people happy and fewer and fewer people seem to be doing it.
7.gif

I feel great when someone notices anything positive about me and is kind enough to comment.

I try and comment on someone''s nice handbag, earrings, pendant, hair color, etc. . . . and because I am aware of doing this for others. . . I''m aware of when people do it as well.
I know you aren''t expecting a party over it or worried about what everyoe else thinks. But it IS nice when people notice something special
1.gif

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
oh! BTW, only maybe 2 people have noticed on commented on my almost 4 crt upgrade and one of them was a manager at my favorite restaurant!!!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Five carats of diamonds on anyone''s hand . . . and with an asscher to boot. . . well, I''d certainly notice!

If I didn''t know you, you would just see me staring without blinking!
6.gif

If I did know you, I''d have had an up-close and personal examination of your ring!
31.gif

Can''t wait to see it. I bet I need shades.
10.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Come to think of it, most of the comments I get from strangers are from waitresses. I guess the lighting is so good with lots of incandescent bulbs in spotlights over tables, that usually a waitress will remark about how beautiful the ring is. One even complimented my hubby by telling him, "Good job, you!"

Best bling places I have found: Hobby Lobby -- great lighting with colorful merchandise for great reflection.
Grocery stores - the warehouse ceiling with the big a** bulbs will amp up the sparkle.
Mexican restaurants - again, great spotlighting with lots of colorful surroundings.

If I get compliments from complete strangers, it happens in those types of environments where the diamonds are really throwing some great flashes and rainbows.

Sometimes, I even mesmerize myself!!!
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to keep in mind: as I recall you upgraded from a quite large stone already - do I remember that correctly? So maybe people are accustomed to seeing you with a big ring and just don''t say anything about it.

Anyway, I would sure love to see your ring anytime!! Look forward to your post.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 11:33:24 AM
Author: ringabling
I can understand. . . it''s not about wanting everyone to notice, it''s about wanting someone to notice! LOL!
I tend to be generous w/ my compliments because it makes most people happy and fewer and fewer people seem to be doing it.
7.gif

I feel great when someone notices anything positive about me and is kind enough to comment.

I try and comment on someone''s nice handbag, earrings, pendant, hair color, etc. . . . and because I am aware of doing this for others. . . I''m aware of when people do it as well.
I know you aren''t expecting a party over it or worried about what everyoe else thinks. But it IS nice when people notice something special
1.gif
Thanks everyone for all your comments!!!

Ringabling: You hit it right on the head....I always try to say nice things, it would of been so nice (but not expected or needed, but nice..) for someone to notice my "something special" that means so much.

But c''est la vie -- I know I can count on all of you wonderful jewelry lovers to make up for the lack of notice!

Thanks again!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 1:04:00 PM
Author: Beacon
Another thing to keep in mind: as I recall you upgraded from a quite large stone already - do I remember that correctly? So maybe people are accustomed to seeing you with a big ring and just don''t say anything about it.

Anyway, I would sure love to see your ring anytime!! Look forward to your post.
Hi Beacon...
My original e-ring was a 1.5ct round... the asscher isn''t that much bigger (face up wise) -- but, I would think big enough to look different? But I''m sure people don''t even think to look --- and I''m not one to say, "Hey, everyone did you see my new ring?!" that''s just not me...

But as so many of you have pointed out... most people aren''t jewelry "aware" like we are here at PS... when I told my Mom I was getting an "asscher cut".. she replied, "what''s that?"...

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 12:11:56 PM
Author: HollyS
Come to think of it, most of the comments I get from strangers are from waitresses. I guess the lighting is so good with lots of incandescent bulbs in spotlights over tables, that usually a waitress will remark about how beautiful the ring is. One even complimented my hubby by telling him, ''Good job, you!''

Best bling places I have found: Hobby Lobby -- great lighting with colorful merchandise for great reflection.
Grocery stores - the warehouse ceiling with the big a** bulbs will amp up the sparkle.
Mexican restaurants - again, great spotlighting with lots of colorful surroundings.

If I get compliments from complete strangers, it happens in those types of environments where the diamonds are really throwing some great flashes and rainbows.

Sometimes, I even mesmerize myself!!!
9.gif
Thanks HollyS... you are so right on about those bling places. Especially the grocery store -- there is something about having your hand on the cart too... I notice everyone''s rings at the grocery store... they can''t be missed there!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
I know where I live in the UK, it is just not the done thing to comment on these things - people are really weird about it. So, I guess, what is the social circle like you are in, do they talk diamonds and jewellery to each other and make comments in general, or not. My guess is also that people just dont know what to say about something so big and beautiful. If I saw this in real life I would love to have a close look and ask some questions and gush over it, but never in a million years would I say anything, weird isnt it. Sorry about the lack of spaces, my keyboard has decided to quit working properly. cant wait to see the final product....
35.gif
D2B

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
When I got a new ring and I got together with the sister I rarely see I was kind of excited for her to see it. When she didn''t say anything I mentioned it to her and told her I had really wanted it and was so pleased with it. I wasn''t trying to brag, just share it! She acted like, yeah, I noticed. She showed no enthusiasm, interest, or even, how nice for you.

I understand what you mean, and I''ve experienced the same thing. Although my jewelry is for me alone, a compliment here or there is nice to get.
2.gif

I don''t tend to compliment people I don''t know on their jewelry unless they seem really outgoing and approachable in that way. In the past I have had some people give a very weird vibe about it, so now I''m more reserved in my observations and praise of jewelry. When I do say something it''s really general and more of a "how pretty" than what I''m thinking which might in your case be, "WOW what a great asscher! How big! How sparkly! How superbly cut!!!" If I actually said that to someone I didn''t know very well would be just as enthusiastic, I''m sure they''d look at me like I had three heads. Maybe that''s what''s going on....

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I was just thinking...given that we all know now that most people aren''t very observant, I think it''s possible since the ring doesn''t face up too much bigger than your old one that people really *haven''t* noticed. Kind of a bummer...but I think it''s possible or even likely.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I had another thought...

Jealousy? Could that be possible?

Sad, but some people won''t acknowledge things they secretly covet.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I bet they are noticing, just not saying something out of politeness.

I always notice lovely rings, esp asschers. But for some reason I feel that it''s really rude to be obvious I''m noticing it so I''d shoot side glances at it or try to find a natural excuse to get a closer look. I also feel it''s rude to say something about a ring if it''s over a certain price. For non-friends I save that to people who might need bolstering up on their rings.
5.gif

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I''m curious. . . why do people think it''s rude to comment positively on another gals beautiful bauble?
I mean, we wear it on our finger, we''re not hiding it.
I wonder if people who haven''t reacted positively to a compliment may have appreciated it, but not be used to accepting compliment graciously?
I''m tellin'' ya, it''s a lost art and that''s sad!

KWIM?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 9:56:49 PM
I''m curious. . . why do people think it''s rude to comment positively on another gals beautiful bauble?
I wonder if people who haven''t reacted positively to a compliment may have appreciated it, but not be used to accepting compliment graciously?

KWIM?

I completely agree! As long as you give a simple "I love your ring!" or "What a beautiful ring!" I don''t think it''s rude at all. Even if it is a big honker! Let''s be real...98% of people probably wouldn''t be wearing a big ol'' ring if they didn''t want it to be noticed!

I love it when people compliment my ring, and I always respond graciously. Even if I do get a weird comment, like "How much was that?!", I just smile and say "I don''t know because I didn''t pay for it!"

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 10:10:47 PM
Author: thing2of2

KWIM?

I completely agree! As long as you give a simple ''I love your ring!'' or ''What a beautiful ring!'' I don''t think it''s rude at all. Even if it is a big honker! Let''s be real...98% of people probably wouldn''t be wearing a big ol'' ring if they didn''t want it to be noticed!

I love it when people compliment my ring, and I always respond graciously. Even if I do get a weird comment, like ''How much was that?!'', I just smile and say ''I don''t know because I didn''t pay for it!''
I agree-complimenting is good! I just don''t tend to strike up conversations with strangers and I guess I might feel a bit weird if I was stuck in a lift, say, with someone who said avidly ''That is a great diamond!'' and stared at my ring like they wanted to eat it (True story)!
23.gif
I absolutely comment on people''s jewelry if the opportunity arises!

Case in point-was eating lunch in a restaurant today when a woman with a gorgeous sapphire and baguette diamond bracelet sat down at the table next to me. I wanted to pull out a camera and start taking photos (to post here, you understand-I have a sickness) but just restrained myself! I do see Strm''s point too about guys commenting on jewelry-maybe some people might feel vunerable in that situation??

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock

KWIM?
Right on Ringabling!

As I see it, you only live once, and if people think it''s "weird" or "rude" to say, "I love your earrings", or "that''s such a cool watch" or whatever then so be it!

I try to never miss an opportunity to give a compliment -- just a one sentence, "that''s a pretty ring" or something like that. I would have to say 100% of the time, people smile at me and say "thank you" -- or elaborate if they want. It''s usually a pretty short exchange. I complimented the receptionist once at the dentist office -- she had a beautiful sapphire ring -- she was so happy I noticed, and proceeded to tell me it was her mother''s ring. Every time I go back she remembers me, and probably remembers the compliment I gave her, and maybe good thoughts of her mom. I have to say, it makes me feel good to be nice!!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I just got home from Target this morning. . I was looking in the camera case and the man working there commented on my diamond/sapphire thick band. He said it''s beautiful and asked if they''re sapphires.
I told him yes and thank you so mcuh, my DH bought it for me when I had my twin sons.
He said he was in the sapphire mountains where they mine them last month and it was beautiful there.
VERY sweet of him to comment and so appreciated by me.
I think most people appreciate the effort even if they are''t good at accepting compliments.
I actualy get more comments on that ring, that my new pet rock!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Hey there - can't wait to see pictures of your upgrade, it sounds beautiful!!
30.gif

Date: 1/24/2008 10:50:57 AM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
I try to never miss an opportunity to give a compliment -- just a one sentence, 'that's a pretty ring' or something like that. I would have to say 100% of the time, people smile at me and say 'thank you' -- or elaborate if they want. It's usually a pretty short exchange. I complimented the receptionist once at the dentist office -- she had a beautiful sapphire ring -- she was so happy I noticed, and proceeded to tell me it was her mother's ring. Every time I go back she remembers me, and probably remembers the compliment I gave her, and maybe good thoughts of her mom. I have to say, it makes me feel good to be nice!!

It's so great you take the time to compliment people and it is so great that you think of the feelings of others. I can also understand why you would be frustrated that something you have fantasized, fixated, and really have be excited about has not been commented on by your co-workers and friends. However, your frustration lies in the fact that you seem to hold others to similar standards you are holding yourself at (not trying to sound harsh). Granted, if all you are expecting are basic comments like "That's a pretty ring," it is not as if you have set the bar too high, but the expectation to comment is still there.

From what I have observed from personal experience is that others rarely live up to standards you have set for yourself. This has been a difficult lesson for me to learn, as I have dropped friends for minor annoyances that I should have overlooked (you live and learn, I suppose). Additionally, I have also learned that you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why people behave the way they do, but I also do understand the need to vent about it too! Why your co-workers have not said anything, who knows!? Is it frustrating, yes!!
In terms of strangers commenting...I am in the camp of not saying anything. I am not a rather outgoing person, so I admire from a distance. Of course, if the person seems to be friendly and we are placed in a situation where we have to interact, I might make a comment. Like you however, I am one to give positive feedback to my friends, family and close co-workers.

I think you will feel better after you have posted your beautiful ring on PS!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe that we have three pages of dialogue about this gorgeous ring, and no one has posted a picture????
33.gif

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
One time a relative of mine noticed my ring and grab my hand and started shouting to her husband across the table how big my ring was compared to hers and the other cousin came by my table and started looking at my ring.. I was soo embrassed.. And than my aunt from the other side of the room made me come over to her so she can take a better look.. I was sooo embrassed because everyone was looking me.

That is probaby the reason why I rarely comment on other people rings but it doesnt mean that I don't notice the rings.. There are a few times I notice a beautiful diamond ring but all I do is admire from afar.. I guess I am kinda shy and I don't want to create any drama or embrassment..

Sometimes my husband is the one who notice other people especially older ladies looking at my ring but I don't even notice.. I usually get people looking at my ring in the upscale malls and grocery but they don't usually say anything.. At work, more people comment my 6 carat morganite than my diamond ring.. Maybe it bigger? Hahaha.. I don't know..

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
^I''m actually more sensitive to my family making a big deal out of than a stranger. . . is that weird?
Like I''d rather be judged by the stranger than my family. . .
We make more $ than either of our family, I just don''t want to ever rub it in their face.
We actually didn''t tell any of our family about my upgrade, well except my Sis, she''s my best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results