shape
carat
color
clarity

No one notices my new 5ctw e-ring upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:21:12 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

Date: 1/22/2008 1:55:25 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 1/22/2008 12:48:15 PM
Author:lovewhitediamonds
I''m not looking for oogles...but it would of been so nice for someone to notice.

Ahhh, but you ARE looking for oogles, but in all the wrong places. Go to a jewelry store, I''ll bet you''ll get oogles there.

I read your post and wondered two things:

1. Why do you care so much what other people think about your ring. It''s YOUR ring, enjoy it for what it is and what it means to YOU.

2. Is it possible that you talked a lot about the upgrade when shopping and deciding to keep it, and now your colleagues are over the whole thing? Because to be honest, if I worked with someone who went on a lot about their 5ct upgrade, I might be a tad bit over it once it arrived...and I say that as someone who''s very into beautiful jewelry, so if they''re not even into jewelry, they just might not care at all. Just a thought...

Please, enjoy your ring. Nobody should get a ring because it will create a sensation when they walk through the office or a mall. Get it because it means something to you and your partner. And for godssake, enjoy it...!
Geez Surfgirl -- harsh!

No, I didn''t mention it at all to people I work with...only did my thing on PS... as I knew the people here could help me more than anyone.

And, believe me, I''m enjoying every minute of my ring! I never expect people to notice -- just hoped for one compliment! Is that so bad? Who wouldn''t like a nice comment about a new ring? It''s my 10 year anniv present!!!
What''s bad is teasing us with talk of this stunner without providing photos!! I can''t wait!!...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with a few points above. Normally when I see a large ring I do assume it''s fake and would never comment on it in case it is. To be honest, unless it''s close friends, I don''t comment on people''s rings at all. Some people like it when you notice and others don''t so I normally say nothing in case it''s the latter type of person. I''m just curious though-why does it matter so much if people say something or not? I''m not saying that to be mean-I''m honestly just curious? Sure it''s nice if someone says something, but as long as you love it then you shouldn''t be upset about other people not noticing. And for what it''s worth, I think it''s huge, even if it is an asscher-it''s definitely not small! Wear it with pride and if people notice then they do and if they don''t, who cares.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:40:28 PM
Author: bee*
I agree with a few points above. Normally when I see a large ring I do assume it''s fake and would never comment on it in case it is. To be honest, unless it''s close friends, I don''t comment on people''s rings at all. Some people like it when you notice and others don''t so I normally say nothing in case it''s the latter type of person. I''m just curious though-why does it matter so much if people say something or not? I''m not saying that to be mean-I''m honestly just curious? Sure it''s nice if someone says something, but as long as you love it then you shouldn''t be upset about other people not noticing. And for what it''s worth, I think it''s huge, even if it is an asscher-it''s definitely not small! Wear it with pride and if people notice then they do and if they don''t, who cares.
It doesn''t matter what people think. But I am so excited about it, love it so much and the journey has been so long I want to talk about it and tell the story of where and why and how!!! But I would NEVER bring up the topic if it doesn''t come up naturally. Wouldn''t you say something if a 5ct ring appeared on one of your friends fingers?! or if they got a new car? new boyfriend, new job, new hairstyle etc etc? I guess I always embrace the opportunity to say something nice if the situation warrants it.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to see it!!!!!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I think it is simply a question of expectation--what you hoped for (many compliments and questions about your ring) didn''t live up to what you received (litttle interest). I think this is rather common--as most people keep their stories and posessions close to their heart. But don''t fret--show us many photo''s and we can discuss them all!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 1:45:52 PM
Author: Gypsy
When I see LARGE stones (except at GTG''s) I don''t say anything. I just send covetous glances when no one is looking, craning my neck to get a better view. I always assume the person if comfortable with their stone, get bothered a lot, and while I would LOVE to grab their hands and stare... I think that would be rude of me.

So... that could be it. I promise though, shoudl you and I ever meet your rock is gonna get the ogling of its lifetime.
I''m betting this is the case. Not all of us feel comfortable gushing over someone''s jewelry openly (though I have to admit, I definitely gush openly, decorum be damned).
10.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 3:16:51 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 1/22/2008 1:45:52 PM
Author: Gypsy
When I see LARGE stones (except at GTG''s) I don''t say anything. I just send covetous glances when no one is looking, craning my neck to get a better view. I always assume the person if comfortable with their stone, get bothered a lot, and while I would LOVE to grab their hands and stare... I think that would be rude of me.

So... that could be it. I promise though, shoudl you and I ever meet your rock is gonna get the ogling of its lifetime.
I''m betting this is the case. Not all of us feel comfortable gushing over someone''s jewelry openly (though I have to admit, I definitely gush openly, decorum be damned).
10.gif
Decorum be damned FOR SURE!

People don''t hesitate to comment if I wear my glasses instead of my contacts or if I wear a new sweater to work, or part my hair in the middle instead of the side... but a new anniv ring? NAH!!!!!! Oh well, I will be happy to share it all with you!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, that is weird that no one has said anything about it...I would if I worked with you! However, they may have just plain not noticed.

It''s hard to believe, but it''s true-"normal" people don''t really notice jewelry! When I think about it, I didn''t usually notice jewelry until around the time I was about to get engaged.

It''s like when you get a new car and suddenly all you see on the roads is the same make and model. When I got obsessed with engagement rings before and after I got mine, I noticed everyone else''s, and when I got my Rolex I started noticing other people''s watches, especially Rolexes.

So don''t take it personally! But if they were my friends at work, I would have come in the day I got my ring and said "Look what I got for my anniversary!" Why didn''t you? Just curious!

P.S. I also don''t think it''s strange to want people to notice your new ring...when I get a new purse/haircut/whatever, I always like it when people notice, and a ring is pretty much the same thing to me, although obviously a lot more expensive!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
ILWD, I wasn''t being harsh, I was just presenting two questions that might help you answer your own questions, that''s all. But as bee said, maybe people think it''s fake. Or maybe they''re just not into other people''s jewelry or any jewelry for that matter. I do hope you will simply enjoy it for what it is and not be concerned what others think.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 4:03:02 PM
Author: thing2of2
Hmm, that is weird that no one has said anything about it...I would if I worked with you! However, they may have just plain not noticed.

It''s hard to believe, but it''s true-''normal'' people don''t really notice jewelry! When I think about it, I didn''t usually notice jewelry until around the time I was about to get engaged.

It''s like when you get a new car and suddenly all you see on the roads is the same make and model. When I got obsessed with engagement rings before and after I got mine, I noticed everyone else''s, and when I got my Rolex I started noticing other people''s watches, especially Rolexes.

So don''t take it personally! But if they were my friends at work, I would have come in the day I got my ring and said ''Look what I got for my anniversary!'' Why didn''t you? Just curious!

P.S. I also don''t think it''s strange to want people to notice your new ring...when I get a new purse/haircut/whatever, I always like it when people notice, and a ring is pretty much the same thing to me, although obviously a lot more expensive!
That''s so true. When I started shopping for a pendant, I started noticing people''s necklaces. I usually complimented the piece I was ogling so the wearer would not think I was just staring at her chest.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t say anything to a stranger either. But I''d compliment the stone of someone I know.

I do get compliments on my engagement ring, which is funny to me because it''s not super huge (1.14) and not ideal-cut (heirloom diamond). I think it''s because I keep it so clean that it does shine more than the average stone. And it''s usually older ladies who say something. Perhaps when the admirer is closer in age to the diamond wearer she feels more awkward or too competitive/jealous to voice her admiration?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 4:24:47 PM
Author: surfgirl
ILWD, I wasn''t being harsh, I was just presenting two questions that might help you answer your own questions, that''s all. But as bee said, maybe people think it''s fake. Or maybe they''re just not into other people''s jewelry or any jewelry for that matter. I do hope you will simply enjoy it for what it is and not be concerned what others think.
Maybe a larger one would look fake but the fact that people would think this ring is fake is beyond my comprehension... really. I see rings much bigger all the time. I would not consider it "huge" at all. But I guess we all have our perspectives and what we are used to seeing.

I am enjoying it every day - and again, it''s not about being concerned about what others think... it would just be nice if someone asked about it -- that''s all. We put a lot of effort finding the stone, the setting etc.... People ask me about my vacations if I go somewhere... just not my new ring! I''m just so proud of it... Oh well !

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sympathize, but I''m not surprised.
I would think
a) didn''t notice because not into jewelry
b) noticed in passing but assumed it was costume
c) suspected it was real, but refrained from saying anything, not wanting to be gauche.

I have often seen real stunners on people''s hand and not mentioned it, on the off case a) it is a cz and then the person''s in the awkward position of having to point that out or b) I would make the person uncomfortable because the person thinks someone is "casing" their obviously expensive jewelry.
I''m actually more likely to point out someone''s jewelry if it is "interesting" as there may be a story behind it the person would like to share.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I''m always sort of amazed at how little time/thought people put into jewelry. I notice EVERYONE''s jewelry and not just diamonds either, any kind. I really like it and I''ve been "collecting" it since I was a little girl. I comment on other people''s jewelry whenever I see something different, interesting or just really special. And really, I get a lot of compliments on mine too (diamond rings and other pieces). I''m surprised you haven''t heard more...but again, there are lots of people who just don''t care and therefore aren''t impressed. Enjoy it because YOU love it!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you in the US? Because it seems like the entire country is having a bad spending/debt/shopping hangover right now. With the economy the way it is -- the real estate market (and stock market) tanking -- layoffs all over, plans for "emergency stimulus" packages and people losing their homes OTHER PEOPLE are cutting back. Adults experiencing DEPRIVATION for perhaps the first time.

Just a thought but something as expensive and discretionary as a 5 ct *upgrade* might provoke uncomfie feelings in folks who have/spend less. Their theory: why should you get the bling AND praise too? You might have to settle for the bling alone. Sob.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
so, I guess I shouldn''t tell that new guy at work I like his new car because the economy is bad? oh.. ok

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 5:09:49 PM
so, I guess I shouldn''t tell that new guy at work I like his new car because the economy is bad? oh.. ok
Noooooo. But I think its kind and mature to have empathy for people who might be less generous with praise & complements because of their own situations. Pouting? Fruitless. And, IMHO, unbecoming.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as "I can''t believe someone thought it would be fake" you would be surprised. My anniversary ring, which was hand made with an unusual design (platinum bezel settings in 18k gold band) went missing. I was frantic trying to find it. Turns out one of my daughter''s friends who took it out of my jewelry box. The mom saw the ring and never took it from the child or mentioned it to us saying "oh I just assumed it was a piece of costume jewelry." I was astounded, but luckily the ring was not damaged and returned to us.

So when people say costume, that also includes czs or synthetic stones set in real gold settings, which can often be quite expensive on their own and look quite good.

If it makes you feel any better I got new diamond earrings (I know, not quite the same) this month but no one has mentioned them! Part of the problem is that I used to wear as a staple some cz studs of almost exactly the same carat weight (really nice ones in white gold settings). I''m thinking unless I mention it people who know me are probably assuming they are the same earrings
7.gif
. Ironically when I first got the czs I got a number of compliments including from a stranger who wanted to know where I got them because he wanted to get his girlfriend some nice diamond earrings. If I wanted to impress people, guess I could have saved myself alot of money!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 5:23:49 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 1/22/2008 5:09:49 PM
Noooooo. But I think its kind and mature to have empathy for people who might be less generous with praise & complements because of their own situations. Pouting? Fruitless. And, IMHO, unbecoming.
many people at my work do better than I do -- so I don''t think this applies in my particular situation, but I do understand others might not be as fortunate.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t expect people to notice my jewelry, but when they do, I''m happy.

But, if I had gotten a nice upgrade like yours I would have run in saying "Look at this!" because the people I work with are my friends.

I agree with a few other PSers....maybe they think it''s fake?!?!

Who cares though. Enjoy it anyway girl!
31.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 5:42:08 PM
Author: ang3199
I don't expect people to notice my jewelry, but when they do, I'm happy.

But, if I had gotten a nice upgrade like yours I would have run in saying 'Look at this!' because the people I work with are my friends.

I agree with a few other PSers....maybe they think it's fake?!?!

Who cares though. Enjoy it anyway girl!
31.gif

I don't expect people to notice my jewelry either, but same as ang said--when I do, I'm happy! But I'm a person who wears my jewelry for me and me alone. I wear my jewelry when I'm lounging around the house in sweatpants! Compliments are really really nice, and are sooo welcome, but my eyes are all I care about.

Also, I'm one of those oglers who doesn't say anything (in public) because I wouldn't want to bother somebody. There have been times that I wanted to squeal enthusiastically about someone's huge rock, but I held back for decorum's sake.

In any case, post some pictures of your ring, and you will get hundreds of squeals--soooo much notice! Can't wait to see it!
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:57:27 PM
Date: 1/22/2008 2:40:28 PM

Author: bee*

It doesn''t matter what people think. But I am so excited about it, love it so much and the journey has been so long I want to talk about it and tell the story of where and why and how!!! But I would NEVER bring up the topic if it doesn''t come up naturally. Wouldn''t you say something if a 5ct ring appeared on one of your friends fingers?! or if they got a new car? new boyfriend, new job, new hairstyle etc etc? I guess I always embrace the opportunity to say something nice if the situation warrants it.

I can understand why you''re excited about it and love it so much, but as others have said, not everyone is a jewelery fan. If it was one of my best friends that had got one, I would bring it up but to be honest, if it was someone I work with and they didn''t bring it up themselves, I wouldn''t bring it up. If they don''t bring it up themselves, I''d assume that they don''t want attention brought to it. I think that the situation warrants it if they get a new hair cut or something like that but I never really comment on someones material possessions for the reasons that I gave earlier. Unless they talk about it, I won''t bring it up.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Please excuse my faulty memory, but I can''t locate the finished picture of your asscher ring. I do remember a 4c TDF asscher stone, and a post about how your ring was too large for your tiny fingers, but the sized final image is eluding me for some reason.
7.gif

Please post some pictures of the ring to refresh my obviously poor memory
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 6:40:07 PM
Author: isaku5
Please excuse my faulty memory, but I can''t locate the finished picture of your asscher ring. I do remember a 4c TDF asscher stone, and a post about how your ring was too large for your tiny fingers, but the sized final image is eluding me for some reason.
7.gif

Please post some pictures of the ring to refresh my obviously poor memory
38.gif
Me too!! Pics please!!!
1.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone in your group at work have a diamond as large as yours? If not, maybe they''re uncomfortable with the idea of such an expensive purchase, so they avoid the topic altogether. Which is silly...because I''m SURE they''re secretly admiring your ring. Even if they think it is fake, they MUST be sneaking looks all the time wondering "wow, I wonder if that''s real." But they''re just not saying it b/c they are uncomfortable talking about upgrades, diamonds, expensive jewelry. Some people, unfortunately, think diamonds are ridiculous (not me!) because they are crazy expensive and you can''t drive them, you can''t eat them, you can''t watch movies in HD on them, they don''t make your [insert body part here] bigger, smaller, etc. That''s just their opinion and we can''t convince them otherwise.

If people you work with do have large diamonds like yours, maybe they don''t want to bring up the topic because their ring is fake and they don''t want to invite an opportunity for that truth to come out!

Can''t wait to see your ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the women I know are just not into jewelry, and none of my friends has ever commented on my new e-ring I got a year ago. However, a couple of weeks ago I only had on my Memoire band, and a friend commented and asked me if it was new! I really think more simple but pretty pieces result in more comments, unless you happen to live in Beverly Hills or somewhere where big rocks are common! I have never seen a 4 or 5 carat asscher, so in my area, I might assume it was fake as well. But I almost never comment on anyone''s jewelry unless it is a friend.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loveswhitediamonds I think people either don''t notice or don''t feel comfortable saying anything. I get the most compliments on my wring in jewelry stores. I pay attention to everyone''s jewelry and will say something like "nice ring" but only continue the conversation if they are interested in discussing it.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 1:06:37 PM
Author: neatfreak
Honestly? There are so many women wearing huge fakies these days that when I see one that is too big I often assume it's fake.
7.gif

Sorry...

Ditto! Perhaps that's the problem. If you post pictures here, I'm sure we'll all oogle
9.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I started a whole thread about this once. I asked if people got a lot of compliments on jewelry. And I wasn''t necessarily talking just about diamonds. I was referring to any jewelry. I''ve come to the same conclusion that some others have, that it seems like there are a lot of people who just aren''t that into jewelry and completely don''t notice. I always notice especially if I see something unique. (and I''d call a big asscher like that unique) I almost always compliment the person too. I would never ask "stats" on a piece of bling because I know that would make the person uncomfortable.

And you''re right, it woud be nice to get a few more compliments, but it doesn''t always happen. Who knows, maybe people are a bit envious too?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guess is your coworkers have noticed your ring but they're uncomfortable commenting for any one of the reasons already mentioned. People act funny around things that smack of luxury, especially when they secretly covet the item in question.

Congrats on your ring, I'm sure it's incredible, and I can't wait to see it!

ETA: MOST importantly--congrats on your ten year anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results