shape
carat
color
clarity

My local jeweler offered me $300.00 for a 6.2mm diamond. Is that reasonable?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it’s a Gabrielle diamond?

No I wouldn’t sell it for that, either.

pendant it. Yes. Use an existing chain to save more $.

ETA- I’d just have those two baguettes taken off and leave the pendant as it is that, as a slider. Tastes vary up tho!

Love that idea

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Take a bunch pictures from different angles and distances.
Post 8-10 in focus ones here.
If you know how crop the photo before uploading.
Then type @Karl_K me to ping me to look.
I'm not here a lot lately, but try and check back a couple times a day.

@Karl_K here are a few pics. I do appreciate your time and thoughts. Thank you!! IMG_9984.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9983.jpeg
    IMG_9983.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9982.jpeg
    IMG_9982.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9981.jpeg
    IMG_9981.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9980.jpeg
    IMG_9980.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9979.jpeg
    IMG_9979.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9976.jpeg
    IMG_9976.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9977.jpeg
    IMG_9977.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9978.jpeg
    IMG_9978.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 56

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
I would stick with prong set versus bezel. maybe a floating solitaire, 4 prong.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I would stick with prong set versus bezel. maybe a floating solitaire, 4 prong.

Silly question but how do I find someone to make this? Do you by chance have pictures of anything you’ve seen like this that you love? Thank you for your time and thoughts!!

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Here is one I got off the internet so you can see the difference in setting. There are wonderful vendors that people speak highly of. I’m not sure if whiteflash sets stones that aren’t theirs but I’ve worked with them, Brian Gavin, and diamonds by Lauren. All have been great. The last 2 I mentioned will set your stone For sure. IMG_0209.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
There's a list somewhere of approved jewelers/setters.
David at Diamonds by Lauren seems like he would be great to work with.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Here is one I got off the internet so you can see the difference in setting. There are wonderful vendors that people speak highly of. I’m not sure if whiteflash sets stones that aren’t theirs but I’ve worked with them, Brian Gavin, and diamonds by Lauren. All have been great. The last 2 I mentioned will set your stone For sure. IMG_0209.jpeg

Thank you so much!! In this picture I’m most drawn to the top necklace. Do you think I run the risk of the bezel obstructing the sparkle of my stone? Or, will it change the “chunky” appearance I see and love? For some reason, maybe it’s the current setting but my pendant looks more like an oval than a round diamond to me.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as settings, you should figure out if you want a fixed pendant or a slide. Some prefer fixed, others prefer slides. I have both and prefer the slides. On me, the fixed "travel" a bit on my neck and I have to readjust them, while I don't have that issue with the slides as they seem to be able to find the font/center on their own since they can move along the chain. I also like that I can change the chain on the slides if I want. It's all personal taste. Once you figure that out, then you can decide prongs or bezel, etc.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much!! In this picture I’m most drawn to the top necklace. Do you think I run the risk of the bezel obstructing the sparkle of my stone? Or, will it change the “chunky” appearance I see and love? For some reason, maybe it’s the current setting but my pendant looks more like an oval than a round diamond to me.

I’m not a fan of bezel in general because I feel like it hides the diamond and some will argue that it can affect light performance. Some say it doesn’t. The crown height is why I suggested prong. I feel like that stone needs to be seen and the star of the show. That’s just me.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
As far as settings, you should figure out if you want a fixed pendant or a slide. Some prefer fixed, others prefer slides. I have both and prefer the slides. On me, the fixed "travel" a bit on my neck and I have to readjust them, while I don't have that issue with the slides as they seem to be able to find the font/center on their own since they can move along the chain. I also like that I can change the chain on the slides if I want. It's all personal taste. Once you figure that out, then you can decide prongs or bezel, etc.

Silly question. What’s an example of a slide pendant? Do you by chance have a picture?

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Sure. Here is one I have. This was made by CVB and are her photos. I'll try to take a photo of the side so you can get a better idea of the slide.
pendantcvb.jpg pendantcvb2.jpg
Sorry, my fat fingers had typed drone instead of stone.
This is stunning. I LOVE it. Do you think my stone would look equally as gorgeous? I’m over the moon seeing this!!!

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
there are several threads showing different pendants for you to look at. Some are bezels, some prongs, some slides and some fixed.

Here are a few

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

I do think your stone looks not round in the photos, but like you say, it could be an optical illusion from the setting. Here's a version of a slider pendant with prongs vs a bezel.
il_fullxfull.3673115596_6fn9.jpg

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I am also in the “do not sell” camp. If I had to guess, I think those baguettes used to be sides to the round. That would make me want to keep them together. But I am not a fan of the current setting, and would contemplate setting the round in a prong setting with the two baguettes, side by side, in a “fan“ shape as the bail.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Frumasring
Would love to see the facet pattern in a crisp picture, if you are inclined to try again. Please?

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Like others, I would not sell, especially for $300. This stone has both sentimental value and a 'cool factor'. How many people own a diamond with a 12-sided table? There may well be an interesting story behind it.

Would love to see the facet pattern in a crisp picture, if you are inclined to try again. Please?
+1. @Frumasring, I too would love to see a sharp close-up of the stone, like the one in your avatar pic.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Like others, I would not sell, especially for $300. This stone has both sentimental value and a 'cool factor'. How many people own a diamond with a 12-sided table? There may well be an interesting story behind it.

+1. @Frumasring, I too would love to see a sharp close-up of the stone, like the one in your avatar pic.

Tried my best to get facet shots. @Rfisher hope you can check them out too IMG_9998.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9995.jpeg
    IMG_9995.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 52

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Tried my best to get facet shots. @Rfisher hope you can check them out too
Thank you, @Frumasring!

With a bit of imagination, I can see that: the stone is round (not oval or cushion); the table is 12-sided; the crown has the usual types of facets - star, bezel (=kite) and girdle - just in 12s rather than the usual 8s. I can't make out much more than that.

I doubt that these pictures will be clear enough to help @Karl_K. If you are not totally annoyed and frustrated by now, the thread mentioned above has lots of good advice.

I'll add mine: if your phone can't take close-ups, and you have no other gear, just holding a loupe in front of the lens of a cellphone camera works passably. (Hold the handle firmly against the back of the phone.) Also, try to use soft diffuse light, so that the sparkles don't obscure the facet pattern. The example below was done like this:
ZirconDemo.jpg
(The stone is an 8mm zircon, the closest I've got to yours. The picture is cropped and has a bit of tonal editing, but that does not change the basic information.) This is just a demo, literally my first attempt with this method. With some practice and fiddling, you could surely do better.

Regardless, I think it's a cool stone, and I'd be keeping it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Try to remove/minimize dark objects in the vicinity while photographing the diamond...that includes clothing, so wear light/white colors.
Use a white piece of paper with a hole just big enough for the camera lens to eliminate any dark reflection of your camera/phone.
Indirect lighting/shade would probably be ideal for lighting.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! What are you thinking of setting yours in?

I guess I sort of lied -- not a true solitaire. Mine is ~1.46 ct F/VS2 (IIRC) MRB -- but very shallow/spready and "bright." I have been working with Inken to design a petite target-style pendant -- just the center diamond surrounded by a few mm (well, as many mm as I can afford) of French-cut blue sapphires (heated, alas) in an octagonal frame. There is a thread somewhere where I asked for design help and got some great feedback. (And one before it where I asked what the heck to do with the diamond, jewelry-wise, given the super-shallow crown angle.)

I do love those blackened-silver cut-down collets with talon prongs like @lala646 highlighted above. But I am a sucker for Deco targets and for colored stones in general and this diamond was in the family (somewhat inexplicably) and unmounted since ~ 1980. True Deco-era target ring is too fragile for either of us but maybe we can get away with a pendant...?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Looks like transitional or early mrb to my eye.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely twelve facets - LOL

I was trying to figure out what the shape of the pendant reminded me of - turns out it’s a symbol called “Hamsa hand.” There are many theories out there as to the symbol’s origin and meaning - enough possibilities that I think one could just pick the background/meaning that most appeals to them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results