shape
carat
color
clarity

My local jeweler offered me $300.00 for a 6.2mm diamond. Is that reasonable?

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I hope this isn’t a stupid question. I inherited a 6.2mm diamond that belonged to one of my grandmothers which she was given in the 1940s. I really just don’t know what to do with it so I took it to my local jeweler to get suggestions. He said it was a nice color, likely F or G and great clarity likely VS2 but that it was an experimental cut with “12 kites”. This is all Greek to me. He said he’d recommend that I turn it into a pendant either in a 4 prong setting or bezel or I could sell it to him for 300.00. He confirmed that it was an earth mined diamond.

This just sounds so weird to me. He said he’d have a really hard time reselling it b/c of the experimental cut and he’d be assuming all the risk to have it recut. IMG_9972.jpeg

Can ya’ll give me your thoughts? I don’t want to sell it (I.e. give it away for nothing), and I’m not sure what kind of pendant I’d like. Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I'll give you $400 for it! :lol: Just kidding. Please don't let him re-cut it. I would suggest seeing if you could take it to an appraiser instead, to get actual details on the stone. Or perhaps send it to GIA. Then I would explore the internet to see if there are pendant styles you like. Does it have a puffy crown? A collet style setting could be nice, like this Fred Leighton piece?

FL_PE_38791_0_18KY_1_1500-product.jpg

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes definitely don't sell it for $300 even if he wasn't to recut it that's definitely way too low of an offer! A collet style like lala posted would be really nice if you're into the antique style. Otherwise a simple bezel station or slider pendant is always a winner. You could even add a halo but at 6.2mm it will be a great size for an everyday staple solitaire.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
6mm can be a carat tw - no way would I take $300 for that!!! I also really love the design and would just keep it as is! It’s a pendant already right? If not just keep the same design and add a bale to make it a pendant.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way no how. Time to find a local jeweller who doesn’t try to take advantage of you.
(And that’s my nice wording.)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so attractive! It looks like a pendant now- is it not? Jewelers typically don't like to keep inventory so they offer you very little for the most part. You may not want to limit yourself to a pendant. I could see this diamond in a ring or bangle. :)

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
6mm can be a carat tw - no way would I take $300 for that!!! I also really love the design and would just keep it as is! It’s a pendant already right? If not just keep the same design and add a bale to make it a pendant.

Yep, already a pendant but the bell shaped gold setting it’s in really isn’t my taste. I’m just not sure how to ask to reset it, nor do I want to put a lot of funds into it. I’m just not sure!

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I would send it David Klass and have him make something. Selling at that price would be insane.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not sure at all what to request in terms of setting. I’m going to google David’s work and see other items he’s made!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
L

a bangle sounds interesting!! Thanks for the input!!!

I repurposed the 1.94ct MRB that used to belong to my mum into a bangle as I did not like MRBs are rings, and am very happy with it.

DK :))

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want to put a lot of money into it maybe take a look at the settings Stuller has and if you see something you like, find a local jeweler who can get settings from them and have them set your stone. I think that should cost less than something custom.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve had milgrained bezels made for very little, to wear on a chain. I’m in agreement to not ‘give’ it away. It’s not great timing to sell diamonds right now, with labs changing the economics for jewelers.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I’ve had milgrained bezels made for very little, to wear on a chain. I’m in agreement to not ‘give’ it away. It’s not great timing to sell diamonds right now, with labs changing the economics for jewelers.

Would love to see, if you could share a pic!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell too much about the cut from that photo but it looks pretty to me!

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 6.14.01 PM.png

I agree with a simple pendant like @lala646 and others have suggested. I am trying to make one myself! (I mean asking someone to "make one myself")

This is pretty much like inheriting a loose stone, imo.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a very pretty diamond, no way would I sell it. Do a brooch.
Can someone explain 12 kites to me?

I’m assuming it’s short for kite facets which are apparently the eight facets which reach from the table to the girdle, and which share facet edges with the star facets, according to Google. So named cos they’re kite-shaped(ish).
And this stone is unusual in having 12 so will look a bit different in its light return and he’s hoping he can get a stone for cheap because of that ☺️

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I can't tell too much about the cut from that photo but it looks pretty to me!

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 6.14.01 PM.png

I agree with a simple pendant like @lala646 and others have suggested. I am trying to make one myself! (I mean asking someone to "make one myself")

This is pretty much like inheriting a loose stone, imo.

Thanks! What are you thinking of setting yours in? I know for sure this is an interesting cut because it’s sort of chunky antiques looking but sort of MRB at the same time! The jeweler mentioned specifically 12 kites like it was an official term. However I’ve never heard it before. He said 10 was the standard but I also looked on Google, like @foxinsox said and saw 8 as the standard. I know this guy doesn’t value old cuts because my e-ring, made by someone else was termed “early American” transitional and this guy never refers to it like that. Time for a new jeweler! When he started talking about recutting and only get .6 carats total I was cringing!! I’ve learned on PriceScope thst a lot of antique stunners were recut and therefore lost to the population.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The jeweler mentioned specifically 12 kites like it was an official term. However I’ve never heard it before. He said 10 was the standard.
A standard round brilliant cut has 8 kite facets.
The modern terms for them is the bezel facets or crown main facets or sometimes just the crown facets because it is where the crown angle is measured.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take a bunch pictures from different angles and distances.
Post 8-10 in focus ones here.
If you know how crop the photo before uploading.
Then type @Karl_K me to ping me to look.
I'm not here a lot lately, but try and check back a couple times a day.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful, add me to the “do not sell” list. Definitely not for $300. I for one love the setting but it’s about what you like. I think I can speak for most in that we would love to see more pictures. That would give us a better idea for setting suggestions.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
300 USD for a carat is way too low, whatever the colour or cut.

DK =)2

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it’s a Gabrielle diamond?

No I wouldn’t sell it for that, either.

pendant it. Yes. Use an existing chain to save more $.

ETA- I’d just have those two baguettes taken off and leave the pendant as it is that, as a slider. Tastes vary up tho!

Last edited:

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it’s a Gabrielle diamond?

No I wouldn’t sell it for that, either.

pendant it. Yes. Use an existing chain to save more $.

ETA- I’d just have those two baguettes taken off and leave the pendant as it is that, as a slider. Tastes vary up tho!

Whoa. That would be something, huh? It’s really such a unique cut because I see both antique and modern features in it! Photos coming up!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results