shape
carat
color
clarity

Major Ring Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh No Dazed!!!

So Sorry to hear about this- how terrible!
Dont in any way think this is your fault...Whiteflash will take care of it, and your beautiful ring will be back on your finger in no time...
I am so happy for you- seems like your plans are moving along- when is your date? I cant believe you moved to AZ!

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

-Danielle

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I know that 95% of you don''t think I could have possibly done it. No worries; such is life. Richard thanks for the second opinion. I''m really looking forward to what WF has to say because I''ve never seen anything like this on this site or anywhere else. People think I am nuts for buying my ring over the Internet, but PS is really the best place ever. I
emlove.gif
you guys! Kaliegh, you were definitely not one that I thought was blaming it on me!

Interesting question though --> If you did something to your ring and it broke and you didn''t have insurance........would you try to make something up? If something was wrong with your ring and you have insurance and 100% faith in the company you bought it from (even though everyone you know thought you were insane for buying a ring on the Internet) would you just let fate take over?

I am letting fate take over, I would reccomend WF to anyone wanting to find a diamond or engagement ring. I am very impressed with all their work.

BTW has anyone seen the Skeleton event in the olympics, I bet you could cause some major damage to your ring in that event
emwink.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
OMG Dani!!! What ring did you decide to go with? I think I saw it awhile ago, but I can''t remember what it looks like!

Bianca07

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and I hope everything works out for you. I cannot imagine how you must feel. I don''t know how this could be anything you could have done-with damage that extensive you would have known immediately if you did something. Take care.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
to me it doesn't matter whose 'fault' it was DL (i don't think there's a fault at all actually)...it's going to be fixed and that's really all that matters...it just seems such a bizarre thing to happen and i think people (myself included) are just speculating on what could be. on one hand i think OMG something horrible HAD to have happened to that ring because it looks mangled in those shots. but others have seen porosity do some serious damage before. we certainly don't know....!!

i just had to crack up when mamchris said 'a very big pet' maybe could have caused it, a very big pet with hammers for paws??!?!?!
31.gif

anyway haha i was talking to someone earlier and she was like wow i'd be devastated if that happened to me. i said why? you'd get a whole NEW RING!!!!!
9.gif
30.gif
plus i guess i just view it more like you learn something new every day. i have never seen a ring like that before on here!!

regarding insurance and a jeweler willing to make it right, you are lucky on both counts!!

oh and i kept forgetting to say this before but a huge perk of having your ring gone for a while, it looks HUGE when it comes home to you!! it's like you upgraded without even having to. the best. so a bright side to the coin there.
9.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
wow, I am really sorry to see that happen to your ring!
I had something similar happen to two wedding bands that I still have. But I actually closed the closet door on my hand (with the rings on).
Both rings were very old and very thin. One was diamonds and platinum and the other was diamonds and 18kt. gold. I accidently forgot to remove my hand out of the way and I had the old heavy sliding closet doors that were really hard to pull shut. when I went to shut the closet, I was pushing with one hand really hard and using my left hand (with the rings) for support, but I did not realize that my left hand was not clear of the door and slammed it right on my fingers.
The crazy thing is that it did not hurt and I thought no damage had occurred until I went to take off my rings and realized that both had been crushed on my fingers. They were both cracked similar to yours, with two cracks on either side of the band, but bent into oval shapes as well, so I could not get them off my finger. I had to bend them back into a circle (or at least try to) to get them off and when I went to get them fixed, the inscription on the platinum ring got lost on some parts.

I was never able to get them in the same shape they were before.
39.gif

I hope you get better luck with your ring and you also get it sooner, rather than later.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is not your fault dear. This is also not the insurance co''s responsibility. This would fall under the sellers guarantee of "workmanship" and "material defects" I''m sure WF has recourse with whom ever did the casting and will make it right for you so stop worrying about it. Simple porosity problem. I have seen it many times over the years.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 7:29:44 AM
Author: mepearl53
This is not your fault dear. This is also not the insurance co''s responsibility. This would fall under the sellers guarantee of ''workmanship'' and ''material defects'' I''m sure WF has recourse with whom ever did the casting and will make it right for you so stop worrying about it. Simple porosity problem. I have seen it many times over the years.

I would agree that you shouldn''t make a claim through your insurance company since it seems almost certain that this is a manufacturer defect. You don''t want your rates to go up needlessly, especially since it was not your fault. I''d hold off on making any claims until you hear from WF.

On another note, I''m wondering if the experts can answer this: is there any way to know whether a ring has this kind of severe porosity underneath the surface? I had a porosity problem on one of my prongs, but my jeweler was able to fix it by plugging the hole. It was, however, visible to the naked eye. He checked over the rest of the mounting looking for tiny air bubbles, but didn''t see anything. How rare is it for a ring suddenly to reveal a severe porosity problem after months of wear? I know of someone else who had this happen. It''s kind of disconcerting to think that a ring could self-destruct like this. Thoughts?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Dazed!

I ended up getting a ec solitaire (plat), split claw prongs, pave surrounding the basket....it is really beautiful and I love it! I am so bad though- I only posted a few blurry pics along with my engagement story- did you get to read it?

Here it is:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-thanks-mark-at-erd-story-and-pics.36212/

We have not set a date yet- when is your wedding and where? I am so sorry about the current ring situation...I hope that everything works out and I am sure it will....I will keep you in my thoughts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this something that only happens with platinum?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 3:09:17 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I''m no expert, but it''s my understanding that porosity is much more common in platinum casting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No. Any metal casting goes through the same. Some speculation should be possible about which precious metal is more prone to etc. but manufacturing conditions are more unpredictable and just as important.

E.g.... so what gold is less prone to casting defects... it can always be the case that the job was ''well done'' enough to wipe that advantage out and then some. I''ve seen enough gold jewelry cracked too, and it doesn''t seem to be any need to actually wear the pieces - all it takes is time for the cracks to show on the surface.
7.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 2:07:28 PM
Author: Demelza
I''m wondering if the experts can answer this: is there any way to know whether a ring has this kind of severe porosity underneath the surface? I had a porosity problem on one of my prongs, but my jeweler was able to fix it by plugging the hole. It was, however, visible to the naked eye. He checked over the rest of the mounting looking for tiny air bubbles, but didn''t see anything. How rare is it for a ring suddenly to reveal a severe porosity problem after months of wear? I know of someone else who had this happen. It''s kind of disconcerting to think that a ring could self-destruct like this. Thoughts?
Most cases of moderate to severe porosity can be detected by thorough microscopic examination. It''s almost never completely "hidden".

The cases where the porosity comes as a "surprise" months down the road is usually with consumers who have not had the ring mounting microscopically examined at point-of-purchase by a knowledgeable independent gemologist.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
In my experience, porosity and brittleness is more common in gold mountings than in platinum.

Still and all, it affects only a very small percentage of total mountings manufactured.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
i am so sorry this happened to your ring, has me freaking out after all i went through with mine that they could just crack on me someday. i am sure that everything will work out just fine and you will get a great new ring!!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
We will be reporting the exact cause to DL once our experts have received the ring and do proper hands-on analysis. Until that time any statement offered would only be speculation. Be assured that we have a warranty against any manufacturing defects such as porosity. Best of all, DL has both the warranty and insurance working in her favor, so all will be well. In any case, we are committed to getting DL’s ring made whole and back on her finger as soon as possible!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
any updates?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in aerospace.
We have an organization that investigates metal failure.
They use a scanning electron microscope to examine the fracture - this may reveal the chronology of the fracture or inconsistencies in the metal.
They have special saws that slice up the part to reveal direction of stresses in the material, or the presence of voids.

Frequently it is not clearly just one single cause.
It can be a combination of:
a material that was within spec but right on the edge . . .
a design that, while within spec was right on the edge . . .
an mechanical event (trama) that, while within the spec of what the part should be able to withstand was right at the limit . . .
all these things *together* resulted in the failure of the part.

Also perhaps demand has pushed ring designs to become so dainty and intricate that they are now pushing the limit of how small they can be consistently and reliably made from cast metal that is to be subsequently worked to install diamonds.

But what do I know?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evidently a lot........That was very interesting

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''m wondering, too -- any updates?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results