shape
carat
color
clarity

Major Ring Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Ok so yesterday I had had my ring off all day sitting on my vanity and my fiancee put it on my finger when I was getting ready to leave the house and it was fine, I was driving along and all of a sudden I looked down and it was broken almost in half. I called WF immediately and am sending them the ring to look at to determine if it was my fault or a manufacturer flaw. I just don't see how I could have done this, I definitely didn't bang my hand and I don't wear it when I exercise or clean, etc. Also we just moved to AZ and have only been here a week, we still have our apartment in NYC and we have our renter's insurance that we added the ring to, so does anyone know if that insurance will still cover the damage if it turns out to be my fault? I'm attaching pictures, it's horrific and you might now want to look it makes me sick to my stomach...

Damaged1.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
another

Damaged2.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
another

Damaged3.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
more

Damaged4.jpg

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow!!! I''ll be very interested to see what the experts have to say on what could have caused this type of damage! By the looks of it your ring must have been run over by a truck or something!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
one more after this...

Damaged6.jpg

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Dazed: Oh my gosh! I thought you were exaggerating until I saw the pics. I really hope you can get that fixed. At least the center diamond is intact.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
So I wonder how long I will be ringless for...I just sent it back to WF this morning
emsad.gif

Damaged5.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Wow! You must be DEVASTATED!!! Have you contacted Lesley or anyone else at Whiteflash? Hopefully they will be able to help! I too am at a loss for words--and explanations.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Omigod!!! It does look like a truck ran over it. I wonder what caused it to crack in half like that. It couldn''t be anything you did unless you hit it with a hammer or something. Poor thing.
8.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I am so sorry this happened to you! I hope everything will be fixed and fine!
38.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, wow..that''s incredible! I can''t believe it broke like that. You should call your insurance company and ask if they will cover the damage. It might help put your mind at ease.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH NO!!! I''m sure everything will be okay! I think jewelry insurence works like car insurance, it doesn''t matter whose "fault" it is ... they still provide coverage. Were you going to transfer your renters insurence to the new apartment, was it in effect in both apartments (I never think of that when I move ... my last was renters to homeowners and they overlapped).

I can''t believe this could happen in just 6-7 months of wear!!! These rings are supposed to last a LIFETIME.

Paradise

Rough_Rock
You Poor Thing!!! How awful.

I tried to check earlier threads to see whether you had white gold or platinum... I couldn''t quickly find it. If white gold, have you been in a hot tub or chlorinated pool? I had a bracelet that completely cracked similar to your ring and they told me it was exposure to chlorine... I had been in a YMCA pool with a ton of chemicals. There could have been some kind of defect in the gold that just cracked due to the chemical reaction with the chlorine....

Perhaps this is the case with your ring???

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have anything much to add , only to say I am so sorry
15.gif
but I am sure that it can be sorted one way or another and thank goodness the centre diamond is safe. Hugs and good luck!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 12:48:30 PM
Author: Paradise
I had a bracelet that completely cracked similar to your ring and they told me it was exposure to chlorine... I had been in a YMCA pool with a ton of chemicals. There could have been some kind of defect in the gold that just cracked due to the chemical reaction with the chlorine....Perhaps this is the case with your ring???
Eeeek. I panicked when I read this ''cause I was in a hot tub with my platinum ering on just this weekend. Found this link ...
http://www.jewelry1.com/CHLORINE.HTM

Paradise

Rough_Rock
Aha...so it wasn't a defect in the gold... be careful everyone...

But Dazedland...is your ring gold?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 12:48:30 PM
Author: Paradise
You Poor Thing!!! How awful.

I tried to check earlier threads to see whether you had white gold or platinum... I couldn't quickly find it. If white gold, have you been in a hot tub or chlorinated pool? I had a bracelet that completely cracked similar to your ring and they told me it was exposure to chlorine... I had been in a YMCA pool with a ton of chemicals. There could have been some kind of defect in the gold that just cracked due to the chemical reaction with the chlorine....

Perhaps this is the case with your ring???
Thanks for the fact. I am glad I don't wear my rings when I went to the spa. I saw a bunch of women wearing their rings at the spa, even in the mineral baths. I thought they were crazy.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
OMG!! You poor thing!! Wow, I''ve never seen anything like that! Keep us posted on how it turns out and whether your renter''s will cover it..I hope so!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s so awful - your beautiful ring! Let us know how you come out with Whiteflash and your insurance company. You should be covered.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif
I don''t think i''ve ever seen anything like that. it cracked in two places? i''m glad you called WF right away and it''s own it''s way back for repair. I think you should be ok with your insurance too. Please keep us posted. Hopefully an expert will chime in with some type of explaination
33.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words everyone! The ring is platinum and I lived in NYC the whole time I had it so it was definitely never anywhere near water :) I wouldn''t wear it in the pool or anything anyways. I spoke to Bob at WF this morning and he told me that they will be able to figure it out when they look at it whether it was my fault and what kind of thing I could have done to it or whether it was faulty. He also said even if they have to remake the ring the longest I will be ringless is two weeks. I''m going to go call my insurance company now!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Bless your heart DL!
I have heard or porosity (sp) causing cracks in metal. I know a few others have had their rings break like that on them, hopefully they will post in this thread.
I think the ring will have to be recast which means two or three weeks at least without it, perhaps because of what the issue is you will be able to have it sooner.
DL honey I am soo sorry. *hugs*

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oh, you poor thing! that''s just horrible... I can''t imagine how you could have caused that, but regardless- I hope you have your ring back soon! it''s so hard to be without it!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
OH MY WORD!!!!!! I agree it looks like it was run over by a truck!!! Could it have just spontaniously combusted on you?? How strange. I hope you get it fixed soon and also figure out what happened.
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
holy crap!! that thing totally looks like you''ve been bashing it into a brick or something.

how bizarre and yet so interesting, those pictures were very explicit!...so sorry that it happened but I''m sure WF will figure it out and hopefully advise on how to avoid that in the future.

very interesting re: the chlorine, someone else recently on here said something about pools being bad for platinum which i thought was odd but now...hmmmm.

in terms of insurance, not sure if your renters covers it entirely, i think you have to have had a ''personal articles'' policy on top of the renters but maybe it depends on your coverage.

keep us posted!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow!
23.gif
i''m so sorry to hear about your ring dazedland
39.gif
i hope it gets fixed up and back to you sooooooooooooooon!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, that''s awful. I''m so sorry it happened and hope you get everything worked out. I just can''t imagine what could''ve done that. It looks like it was smashed by a hammer or something.
23.gif
Best of luck to you.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Ouch, I am so sorry this happend to your beautiful ring. I hope WF can figure out what happened.

shay

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I do have a seperate policy for my ring, I called and started the claim process today. It must somehow be something that I did to it, because as Bob at WF said,"these things don''t just happen." It''s just so weird because I look at it all the time and I didn''t notice anything, I guess it''s time for me to get a loupe. It''s missing another diamond that I didn''t take a picture of on the outside dow where the crack on the bottom is...I will keep you all updated for sure! I know I will get the ring back and it will all be fine, the insurance said that WF can just fax them the bill if it is determined my fault (which how could it not be) maybe it''s karma for something I did in a past life. Getting used to it being off and then wearing it again is the literally painful part. When I don''t wear it for awhile (like when I lost a diamond before) my skin on my ring finger goes back to normal and then it gets all cut up when I get the ring back and eventually my skin can all of a sudden take it. It''s odd.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results