shape
carat
color
clarity

Major Ring Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DL i know sometimes my ring finger gets irritated by my rings too...like the metal is too heavy or rough for it or something, then it just suddenly becomes fine! so odd to think that you may have done something to it and didn''t even realize it, way to make yourself paranoid in the future huh?!?!? keep it insured!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Dazeland, I am sooooo sorry to hear this. I can''t imagine what made that happen. Hugs!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there was a casting flaw right where the seat for the pave was drilled... it would look like that. No wall-hitting needed.
7.gif
... as far as I know.

I doubt WF could have known of the hidden flaw - for some ''serious'' machine parts, tracking internal flaws from casting is a usual concern... but I have never heard of jewelers using tests for internal casting flows. And that ring seems to have been particularly (un)lucky to get whatever structural weakness arranged just so that the shank snaps on opposite sides
23.gif

Hope they can redo the ring for you.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Dazedland, that just makes me SICK!!!!!! I am so glad that WF is on it and that you have insurance. I can''t imagine what on earth could have done that!! God you must have been freaking out.

Hang in there!!! My dream asscher has to get back in tip-top shape soon!!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it was something you did I would love to know how that sort of damage happened without you breaking a finger.
2.gif
That damage looks like the result of some sort of trauma one would remember! I hope everything turns out okay for you - I know I would have been shocked as well. That ring shank is pretty thick and for it to crack in two...yikes.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! It does look like it got run over by a truck. Glad to hear you had insurance and that the metal was platinum as well.

My mother went on a cruise a couple months ago and wore her gold rings into the pool. Like others posted, one ring spilt on the bottom half of the shank and the prongs come loose on her shared-prong band. Her friend lost a side stone and the prongs looked like they had been snapped off.
40.gif

Can''t wait for the results from WF!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 3:46:19 PM
Author: valeria101

If there was a casting flaw right where the seat for the pave was drilled... it would look like that. No wall-hitting needed.
7.gif
... as far as I know.

I doubt WF could have known of the hidden flaw - for some ''serious'' machine parts, tracking internal flaws from casting is a usual concern... but I have never heard of jewelers using tests for internal casting flows. And that ring seems to have been particularly (un)lucky to get whatever structural weakness arranged just so that the shank snaps on opposite sides
23.gif

Hope they can redo the ring for you.

I agree completely Ana. I was just reading about how rings that are casted can be porous. I don''t think it was something Dazed did at all.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry about your ring! I agree, I can''t imagine how you could sustain so much damage and not know that something had happened! I sincerely hope WF can fix it quickly.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear about this DL, I'm sure WF will right the situation asap. What a trip though as to how it could have happened?!
23.gif
I'm sure you will be reuinited with your precious soon.

Ironically, I was just at a farewell party for a co-worker and a friend was telling us how his sister went to wash up in the company bathroom took her 10K ering off set it on the counter, washed her hands and left!!! She remembered a few hours later went to retrieve it and it was gone no insurance policy nothing! At least you still had the ring albeit in pieces best of luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about the porosity thing, and could see how maybe a bubble could pop up and push out that one melee and crack the ring there....but what is up with that tiny little 'cutout' piece of metal that is right above that? It looks like just a piece of the milgrain is broken off which seems really odd and unrelated to the melee/broken part there OR the other broken part at the bottom, that's what I don't get and why it seems almost like something DID happen to it rather than it just happening from porosity in one area. That third piece of strangely broken off looking metal is stumping me.

DL are you sure that someone else didn't get their hands on the ring, maybe your fiance dropped it or something? I know I am reaching here but I also agree I can't believe that you wouldn't notice doing it if you did indeed do something to it because the damage on the ring seems so intense! Such an odd situation!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How horrible!!! I am so sorry! I know how hard it is to give up your ring to be fixed so hopefully WF will work FAST!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 5:34:55 PM
Author: Mara
I was thinking about the porosity thing, and could see how maybe a bubble could pop up and push out that one melee and crack the ring there....but what is up with that tiny little ''cutout'' piece of metal that is right above that? It looks like just a piece of the milgrain is broken off which seems really odd and unrelated to the melee/broken part there OR the other broken part at the bottom, that''s what I don''t get and why it seems almost like something DID happen to it rather than it just happening. That third piece of strangely broken off looking metal is stumping me.

DL are you sure that someone else didn''t get their hands on the ring, maybe your fiance dropped it or something? I know I am reaching here but I also agree I can''t believe that you wouldn''t notice doing it if you did indeed do something to it because the damage on the ring seems so intense! Such an odd situation!
I agree Mara. Other thing I was thinking is that it''s in 2 places, not just one?? Very strange.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
So sorry DL to see your poor ring!!!

I am willing to bet money that you did not cause this break. I would imagine this is almost surely a result of porosity that is only now revealing itself. I have a friend who had this problem with her wedding ring after wearing it for almost a year -- suddenly a crack appeared. She sent her ring to the manufacturer and it turns out the crack was a result of porosity. It seems almost impossible to imagine that you could have caused that kind of damage without knowing it!! I'll be interested to see what WF says, but, again, I suspect porosity is the culprit!

ETA It doesn't seem that odd that the ring broke in 2 places. If the ring had porosity in multiple places that weakened the entire shank, perhaps the stress of taking it on and off was enough to cause the break???

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I really don''t know...It''s not in two pieces though it still held together on the other side by the milgrain. I mean if I could think of any sort of possibilities to what could have happened to it I would definitely say, but all I am doing is really searching my brain and not coming up with anything. I mean I have insurance and they said they will pay for the repairs and I don''t even have to pay a deductable so I wouldn''t make it up. It was on my finger in one normal piece and something must have happened to it a few days ago and it finally gave from the pressure of my hands on the steering wheel or something. My hands are lookin'' good right now, not a scrape anywhere on them, I have showered with it on before, and I dropped it in like November. I just don''t know...I will be sure to tell you what WF says when they get the ring back!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is that odd other area i was talking about...it seems so unrelated to the two breaks, like a small piece is just broken or missing on the edge? it makes me think it was cut out but i know that seems insane!!

of course regardless of what happened, you will get it fixed DL so that's the extremely good news, but of course us nutty diamond lovers want to know just what happened, speculation is fun on a boring day...hehee.

funny broken area.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 5:52:28 PM
Author: dazedland
I have showered with it on before, and I dropped it in like November.

I still don't think you did anything. Accidently dropping your ring is not going to make it break almost in half in 2 places. And plat. and diamonds should hold up fine in soap and water, so i don't think a shower would weaken the plat. It will be interesting to hear what WF says once they see it but I can't for the life of me think of something you could have done, without knowing it, that would do it. Porosity is the only explaination that makes some sense to me
34.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
We need a Diamond Detective to investigate the ring! I''d hate to think you''d get all the blame for this ring breaking. Surely you''d remember if anything destructive happened to your hands/fingers. It sounds to me like a structural error.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Yikes, DL, that looks like a stress fracture. I can''t imagine it''s anything you did -- especially if you don''t remember anything. That makes no sense at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really have never seen anything like this. There''s no way she could have caused it and not known it. I imagine there would be some broken fingers if she had!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 6:24:14 PM
Author: Jelly
We need a Diamond Detective to investigate the ring!

Does it make allot of difference whether WF gets to redo it assuming ''craftmanship flaw'' or the insurance company pays in assuming the unpleasant even as an accident?

Even if the ring had a flaw from casting, it is not something the maker could have seen or avoided. All cast jewelry comes with this curse... this piece is getting close to the limit of how carved, pieced and light castings can be... and that is why insurance is such good news.

I am not very convinced that either the shape or the location of that break indicates... karate practice. An it may well be that no ne can tell what was the initial flaw in the metal (if any) that made that particular bit of ring into a week point. For example, if only one point of the shank would tend to break - I would think that having the rest sound (without a second break) should prevent a rupture from actually occuring. But this is none of my business.

It doesn''t look like this mishap is any reason to discount WF''s jewelry making or keep this ring at fault with anything. Even if it were a casting flaw amiss... because it is well known how these things are difficult to controll and detect.

It wouldn''t be a reson to run away from any cast jewelry... because that would do away with two thirds of the designs out there.

Whatever happened, needs fixin''

40.gif

My 2c

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Dazed, I''m so sorry to hear about this! It''s every ring owner''s worst nightmare. I hope you''ll get a complete, and perfect, ring back soon. Please keep us updated.

Gemologist Eric

Rough_Rock
I am new to this website....and happened to stumble in....but being a Gemologist, I would have to say, if this ring is Plat my guess would be that there could have been air bubbles in the casting process that would have caused that and you should be taken care of by your Jeweler.

Platinum is either 90 or 95% pure and a hard metal. I would not expect this to have happened

dazedland

Shiny_Rock

I am not very convinced that either the shape or the location of that break indicates... karate practice. An it may well be that no ne can tell what was the initial flaw in the metal (if any) that made that particular bit of ring into a week point. For example, if only one point of the shank would tend to break - I would think that having the rest sound (without a second break) should prevent a rupture from actually occuring. But this is none of my business.

OK so I didn''t know how to quote just one part, but I don''t really get what you are saying in this part of the message.

I also want to make it clear that I don''t blame WF in any way; shape; or form, even if it was due to the casting or if it was my fault. I just wanted to share it here because even though I haven''t posted in awhile I''ve been through the whole process of the ring here and I still read the forums all the time. In some way it will get fixed. It is very strange though in the way it is broken and my hands could model, ok maybe I won''t go that far
emsmilep.gif
but I am typing with both hands. I should have taken a picture of it on my hand. I understand why some people think that it might have been my fault, because maybe it was, but I don''t like when people say it had to be my fault because I don''t lie, and there is no way to prove it, and that is what really drives me crazy.

Thanks for all your support everyone! On an up note I am going to go look at dresses next week!!!!!!!!!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the expert opinion Eric!!!
emsmile.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
DL I loved your ring, so sad to see it hurting so bad. I am having a halo made too, debating about the insurance thing, as I don''t have it now for my 1 carat, but for my upgrade, I think you just convinced me. I don''t even want to think what would have happened with the CS gone and no insurance, I''ve never seen anything like what happened to your ring, it looks like a NYC bus might have backed over it, or perhaps a large pet? But then again, if just pool chlorine could kill a ring, god only knows. Just think if it kills our jewelry what the heck is it doing to us.
Best of luck with the remake, thank goodness for WF. Hope to see new pics soon.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It would be rather unusual for this to happen to a well made non-defective platinum casting.

I'd have to agree with Eric that the odds are the casting was defective.

Welcome to the forum, Eric. Nice to have another gemologist on board.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
dazedland I don''t think anyone thinks its your fault. At least I certainly don''t and it seems like the ''experts'' don''t think so either. How heartbreaking for you!

I do think that it has to do with the porosity of the plat when it was cast. Hopefully, everything will be taken care of soon!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I certainly don''t think it''s anything you did dazeland. I was just trying to figure this out in my own mind. I bet anything it was a casting flaw and the air bubbles. I look forward to hearing what WF says. You''ll get it solved soon. Have fun dress shopping. I remember how fun that was!!!
1.gif
Lisa

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about your ring!
8.gif
Hang in there and before you know you''ll have a brand new one back on your finger.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 11:04:27 PM
Author: dazedland
I don''t like when people say it had to be my fault because I don''t lie, and there is no way to prove it, and that is what really drives me crazy.
Count me in on the "def. don''t think it''s your fault" front. And, of course, I don''t think you''re lying!! As much as all us "newly engaged" gals obsess and check out and gaze lovingly at our BLING ... you''d surely have noticed this happening so it likely happened suddenly (like normal squeezing on the steering wheel - which other pros have mentioned as a sometimes stress on jewelry).

Short of a hammer or ANVIL attack, a 7 month-old custom made platinum ring should not crack wide open like that! Hopefully you''ll get a speedy resolution to this awful turn of events soon and the BLING will be BACK in no time!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results