shape
carat
color
clarity

Kid''s Name: If your SO wasn''t allowed input

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 9:47:31 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
Wow! Jupiter is quite the name. What did his whole name end up being?
That was going to be his middle name, not first. lol Ryan James is first/middle

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, names I like (for our unborn children):

Boys:

Christian Vaughan
Stephen Harold
Afshin (middle name ?)

Girls:

Guinevere Mira
Fiona Catherine
Scarlett (?)
Juliet (?)
Roxanne (?)
Navah (?)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We aren''t planning to TTC for another year, but that hasn''t stopped us from talking names!

For boys I like:
Logan (sounds cool, and I heart Wolverine)
Ian
Rayne

For girls:
Summer
Sophie
Tesla (after the scientist)
Kinsey (after the psychologist)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hold. the. phone.

Husband just OK'ed my choice for a girl.

(I had to agree to let him have the final choice for a boy, though I get veto powers. I anticipate problems.
3.gif
)

santinana.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of Hunter, it would have been Ashley Grayson. Nate''s said no way.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
So many pretty and unique names you ladies have picked out.

But as a geezer I don''t understand the new trend to give girls boy''s middle names. Is that a trend these days?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if it''s a trend but I am definitely drawn toward some masculine names for girls. However, I also like names like Charlotte and Eleanor and Lucy for girls.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
If it were up to me, I''d like to go with a more ethnic-sounding first name to honor my latin/italian roots.

DH wants something a bit more mainstream that won''t sound funny with our very-french-sounding surname.

I think we''ve reached a compromise and will slightly change Bebe''s middle name from Paul (his dad''s name) to Paolo if it''s a boy and will use Maria (my mom''s name) if it''s a girl.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 8:39:02 PM
Author: swingirl

But as a geezer I don't understand the new trend to give girls boy's middle names. Is that a trend these days?

Not just middle, but first names too. I saw several women choose Ryan for their daughters when pregnant on my parenting boards, and a friend of my husband's named her daughter Carter. It's not my style (first names, at least- more masculine middles can be nice, esp. if they're family names), but it seems to be a growing trend.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like typical boy''s names for girls. I knew a girl in college named Kyle. I have also met a girl named Elliot and Brady. In the same vein I know of men who have feminine names which I personally do not like. I know a male Stacey, Kelly and think I have even met a male Ashley. All of them are middle age so not sure if it was more common 40 years ago.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Ebree - that''s exciting! I don''t think mine would ever agree to that.

Boys names on girls - I think it''s been a trend in waves. The names that Tacori mentioned - Stacey, Kelly, Ashley - started as boys names and started to be used predominantly on girls only in the mid-1900s. And before that names like Beverly and Evelyn crossed from being predominantly used on boys to being predominantly used on girls. But I feel like more people are using boys names on girls than they used to.

As far as middle name goes, both my mother and I have our respective grandmothers'' maiden names as our middle names, and both are variants on boy names: think Edwards as an example. It''s more of a family tradition for us.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else ever think this "quirky" name thing is kind of like trying way too hard? I cringe at "creative" spellings and archaic names and literary references. Used to think it was cool. Now? Tired of it.

And I worry for the teachers of all these future tongue-twisters!
25.gif

ETA: Oh, and those of you drawn to three syllable names -- THINK TWICE. Your neighbors will HATE you when hearing "AN GE LI NA" screamed down the street thrice + daily. At least "ANN" is over more quickly.
14.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 7:16:31 PM
Author: decodelighted
Does anyone else ever think this ''quirky'' name thing is kind of like trying way too hard? I cringe at ''creative'' spellings and archaic names and literary references. Used to think it was cool. Now? Tired of it.

And I worry for the teachers of all these future tongue-twisters!
25.gif
As a teacher, a substitute no less, it can get a bit frustrating. An example that comes to mind is a little girl at a school where I work frequently, her name is Kayla but it''s pronounces Kyla, of course I call always slip and call her Kayla and she and her classmates correct me.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Masculine names for girls -

My DH is named James and for some reason a lot of the little girl names I like flow pretty well with james as a middle name. we''re definitely considering it.

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
If my SO had no say at all for a girl I would pick Olivia Grace and if I had a boy he would be named Noah Jonathan.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Lulu, I think James is a beautiful middle name for a girl!

Also, DH vetoed most of my other names, but is coming around to Noah
27.gif

So, we''re now on the same page with our top three for each gender (our last name starts with "r" and sounds like "loads":

Girls:
Eleanor True (unless Eleanor becomes the most popular name of the year which it sounds like it might based on this thread
3.gif
)
Naima Elizabeth
Harper Grace

Boys:
Benjamin Earl (earl is his dad''s name)
Noah Frederick (frederick is my dad''s name)
Aaron Madison (madison is his grandfather''s name)

Hope the TTC works so we can actually use one of these soon
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 7:06:30 PM

(unless Eleanor becomes the most popular name of the year which it sounds like it might based on this thread
3.gif
)

Isn''t that the truth!
3.gif

lulu, I''ve said it already, but I think Lila James has a beautiful flow, and I like that it has meaning, being your husband''s first name.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Lulu- I love Lila James. My kid''s middle name was going to be James, whether it was a boy or a girl, as it''s my dad''s name. I actually preferred to use it as a middle name for a girl and considered waiting to use it, but we went ahead and gave it to our son.

Deco- Yes, I agree that it''s getting tiresome. What used to be unique has become trendy, which makes it common again.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
So on the other thread the link where you can see the most popular names in your area...Eleanor is #2 in the NYC area. How many of us "Eleanor" fans are in NYC?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought of using James as a middle name for DD. Can''t remember what first name I had it paired with. I think James is a great middle name for either a boy or a girl.

Bella, that is AMAZING you guys found 6 full names you agree on. If we have another girl we are in trouble b/c we could only agree on Tessa and Natalie. I do love Natalie still but it seems really common where I live (or at least I notice a lot of little girls with that name). I have a VERY common first name and hated it. My DH''s name is more uncommon so go figure he likes the traditional ones. Well that''s not true. On his list for girl names was also Natasha (which is beautiful but would NOT go with our last name) and Morgan (which I was not a fan).

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 12:21:43 AM
So on the other thread the link where you can see the most popular names in your area...Eleanor is #2 in the NYC area. How many of us 'Eleanor' fans are in NYC?
I'm in NJ (DH works in the city), so I can see NYC from where I live
2.gif

ETA: I'm still surprised it's that high on the list, since I've never met an Eleanor (a young one anyway). And I'm still planning on campaigning hard for the name if we ever have a girl
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
So on the other thread the link where you can see the most popular names in your area...Eleanor is #2 in the NYC area. How many of us 'Eleanor' fans are in NYC?

#2?
23.gif
Never would have guessed. It isn't in the top 10 in the state I live in or the state we're considering moving to, but it looks like we're going with a different name anyway.

ETA: Thanks to whoever posted that website! It's pretty cool. In Alaska, 'Destiny' is the fourth most popular name. And in D.C., Ariel is at #7, and Milan at #9. Interesting.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:18:20 AM
Author: EBree

So on the other thread the link where you can see the most popular names in your area...Eleanor is #2 in the NYC area. How many of us ''Eleanor'' fans are in NYC?

#2?
23.gif
Never would have guessed. It isn''t in the top 10 in the state I live in or the state we''re considering moving to, but it looks like we''re going with a different name anyway.
Ebree - I''m so surprised too!! And like the rest of us Eleanor fans, cannot believe it''s been mentioned so much on this thread?? It maybe "making a comeback," but I know in my circle of friends and family I would get strange looks choosing such an "old" name. And like I said before DH doesn''t like it very much, but I know he''ll come around
11.gif
BTW, that''s awesome DH is letting you pick your girl name!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I know, I was so surprised too since I live in NYC, interact with young kids all the time, and have not met a single Eleanor. I still love it, so I think if we get KTFU soon and its a girl she just may have to be Eleanor R. for her elementary school career
9.gif

DH and were both always the only ones in our class with our first names, but I
30.gif
Eleanor. So we may just suck it up and deal.

Tacori, Yep the problem with have 6 names we agree on and love is that now I''m like, maybe we should have 6 kids to use all the names
27.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:23:25 AM
Author: cdt1101

Ebree - I'm so surprised too!! And like the rest of us Eleanor fans, cannot believe it's been mentioned so much on this thread?? It maybe 'making a comeback,' but I know in my circle of friends and family I would get strange looks choosing such an 'old' name. And like I said before DH doesn't like it very much, but I know he'll come around
11.gif
BTW, that's awesome DH is letting you pick your girl name!

I think we'd get the same looks from a lot of my family too, which is why we probably won't tell anyone what we've chosen until he or she is born this time. I remember mentioning really liking Beatrice a while back to a few people and hearing crickets. Complete silence. LOL! Hazel is actually a name from my dad's side of the family, so at least they're used to it. Henry was (overwhelmingly) well-received, but a couple of close family members thought it was too old-fashioned and told me he'd be teased because of it.
20.gif

(I found that when trying to get my husband to like a name, I'd casually mention it every once in a while so he got used to the sound of it. Might be worth a try!
9.gif
)

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:50:27 AM

Ebree - I''m so surprised too!! And like the rest of us Eleanor fans, cannot believe it''s been mentioned so much on this thread?? It maybe ''making a comeback,'' but I know in my circle of friends and family I would get strange looks choosing such an ''old'' name. And like I said before DH doesn''t like it very much, but I know he''ll come around
11.gif

I think we''d get the same looks from most of my family too, which is why we probably won''t tell anyone what we''ve chosen until he or she is born this time. I remember mentioning really liking Beatrice a while back to a few people and hearing crickets. Complete silence. LOL! Hazel is actually a name from my dad''s side of the family, so at least they''re used to it.

I found that when trying to get my husband to like a name, I''d casually mention it every once in a while so he got used to the sound of it. Might be worth a try!
9.gif
Crickets are the worst!!! hehehe....I almost rather they just say how they really feel
9.gif
But yeah, I got crickets a lot when we first were preggo w/ Lex, so I just stopped saying anything when asked what names we were thinking of. I prefer older names, my DH does not, so we have a hard time. I think w/ Lex we made a pretty good compromise since Alexander is kind of a classic and Lex is more modern sounding which he likes. I think that''s the route I''ll try w/ the name Eleanor, since there are nicknames I think he''d like that we could use. And I definitely think your approach is best to getting DHs to come around, just repeat repeat repeat
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Eleanor as well. Ellie for short.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:57:46 AM

Date: 12/30/2009 11:50:27 AM

Ebree - I''m so surprised too!! And like the rest of us Eleanor fans, cannot believe it''s been mentioned so much on this thread?? It maybe ''making a comeback,'' but I know in my circle of friends and family I would get strange looks choosing such an ''old'' name. And like I said before DH doesn''t like it very much, but I know he''ll come around
11.gif

I think we''d get the same looks from most of my family too, which is why we probably won''t tell anyone what we''ve chosen until he or she is born this time. I remember mentioning really liking Beatrice a while back to a few people and hearing crickets. Complete silence. LOL! Hazel is actually a name from my dad''s side of the family, so at least they''re used to it.

I found that when trying to get my husband to like a name, I''d casually mention it every once in a while so he got used to the sound of it. Might be worth a try!
9.gif
Crickets are the worst!!! hehehe....I almost rather they just say how they really feel
9.gif
But yeah, I got crickets a lot when we first were preggo w/ Lex, so I just stopped saying anything when asked what names we were thinking of. I prefer older names, my DH does not, so we have a hard time. I think w/ Lex we made a pretty good compromise since Alexander is kind of a classic and Lex is more modern sounding which he likes. I think that''s the route I''ll try w/ the name Eleanor, since there are nicknames I think he''d like that we could use. And I definitely think your approach is best to getting DHs to come around, just repeat repeat repeat
3.gif
I have to say that I agree with this method. I prefer older names while DH prefers familiar names (and I get the feeling that a lot of guys are this way - his best friend kept suggesting the names of both of their immediate families, plus college roommates). I think we had an easier time with boys names because the older ones are generally more familiar, due to history classes being fairly centered on male achievement. I mean, think about how many prominant Georges there were. We''re not even trying to get pregnant right now and I''m still trying to casually mention my favorite girl names from time to time so that they''ll seem more familiar to him when the time comes.
11.gif

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
VERY interesting on Eleanor, ladies!!!! But if you think about it, even if everyone on here who has mentioned Eleanor named their little one that, chances of being that many that you would know IRL are slim. PS'ers seem to have very similar and distinct tastes, despite being so different.

I remember when I was preggo and it seemed like all of us having boys had similar names on our lists and I was so worried that I would pick a "trendy" name. Whenever DH would suggest something and I would say but too many people like it, what I meant was PS'ers. But IRL, people rarely have such good taste as us.
11.gif
And, btw, very few of even the PS'ers used the same names.

ETA: To answer the question posed, I don't have an answer.
3.gif
DH and I pretty much have the same taste in names for the most part. Though I liked Dashiell (Dash) and Gabriel and he was meh on Dash and didn't like Gabriel, we agreed on everything else.

Also, on "crickets"- this is why we didn't tell our names. Somehow DH's mom guessed our name and without knowing we were using it told us "Please don't name him _____, I hate ________." Oh well!!! She felt bad, but it's our choice and names grow on people. I think she likes it now. But if not, c'est la vie!

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 3:31:44 PM
Author: ChinaCat
VERY interesting on Eleanor, ladies!!!! But if you think about it, even if everyone on here who has mentioned Eleanor named their little one that, chances of being that many that you would know IRL are slim. PS'ers seem to have very similar and distinct tastes, despite being so different.

I remember when I was preggo and it seemed like all of us having boys had similar names on our lists and I was so worried that I would pick a 'trendy' name. Whenever DH would suggest something and I would say but too many people like it, what I meant was PS'ers. But IRL, people rarely have such good taste as us.
11.gif
And, btw, very few of even the PS'ers used the same names.

HAHAHA! I did the same thing while preggo!! But then I realized we had such a short list of names that if I ruled out names other PSers liked too, our kid will still be nameless!!

Like when there were some many ladies on this thread that mentioned Eleanor, I was thinking I wouldn't want to use it then (too "popular"), but that's ridiculous! Like I said before I have never even met an Eleanor, at least not one younger than 80
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results