shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White Sapphire complete!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!

Yep tsavvy, although it''s just a lil guy I could not resist the cut and colour of the Gary B tsav.

Actually, same with the Gene zircon, lol..
Does anyone has advice on good settings for zircons to avoid facet wearing?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
That is the perfect blue IMO what a stunning stone. Well done yet again
2.gif

Rough_Rock
I love the lavender undertones!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wow the sapphire is gorgeous, and the other stones aren''t too shabby either.
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks heaps ladies - I am beyond ecstatic with it, I''ve been on cloud nine
all day!

I also just wanted to post the info of the original stone (before re-cutting), to illustrate
what an incredible master Jeff is of his craft..
frankly, I was pleasantly surprised at the resulting dimensions and admittedly extremely happy!

In photos:

sapp compare JW aj 1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and second photo:

I find it quite amazing Jeff didn''t lose anything in the width, and only 0.3mm in length - and infact, if I had stuck with my original request of a more elongated cushion (compared to a more "squatty" one that I changed to), the length would''ve been 7.5mm!

I have no idea how he does it, but I''m glad he does
5.gif

comparison 2 jw aj.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Seriously? AJ - that is Wwwwoonderful !

What a great idea on the recut.

I am a cushion lover, too.

You have one one of the nicest collections, btw.

And the slight rectangle on your new/old diamond is just perfect. So is the setting.

Congrats !!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 6:19:43 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Seriously? AJ - that is Wwwwoonderful !

What a great idea on the recut.

I am a cushion lover, too.

You have one one of the nicest collections, btw.

And the slight rectangle on your new/old diamond is just perfect. So is the setting.

Congrats !!!

Thankyou Sonoma!
Ha ha, yes - I''m thinking; some of the ladies here collect asschers - I will be collecting cushions.
So that''s four and counting
5.gif

Thankyou for your kind comments - actually, the slight rectangle instead of perfect square on my GOG OMC was what inspired me to ask Jeff for a slightly elongated cushion.

Now must just decide what orientation to set it, as it looks equally pretty both ways!

I''m leaning toward N-S (like my OMC is set) as I have shorter fingers - any thoughts?
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
here is the stone sitting N-S orientation.

I know you guys haven''t seen the setting, but do folks agree this way is more
appropriate for length-challenged hands?

I think it looks great either way personally, lol!

Copy of sap048 outside.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,
You’ve been a very busy bee with the lovely JW sapphire, Gary tsavorite and Gene zircon. All 3 are going to be super when set. I know you love bezels but that sapphire is calling for a 3 stone with NS orientation.
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 7:36:35 AM
Author: Chrono
AJ,

You’ve been a very busy bee with the lovely JW sapphire, Gary tsavorite and Gene zircon. All 3 are going to be super when set. I know you love bezels but that sapphire is calling for a 3 stone with NS orientation.
11.gif

Thanks C,
he he I know I went a lil nuts recently - I swear, it was the anticipation over the last 4 weeks waiting for Jeff''s sapphire, I started buying other gems -
32.gif
three since I commissioned the sapph, lol! (purple spinel too)..

Ah, hon this baby will not be seeing a bezel...I want it to be able to shine as much as possible..close C, but no cigar
25.gif

The setting will be all plat, prong set, with diamonds included..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone. I like the color change!!
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see that you’ve already a specific design in mind; something with melees in the band? Somehow, I don’t see you as a halo type of person but you might prove me wrong.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 7:47:02 AM
I see that you’ve already a specific design in mind; something with melees in the band? Somehow, I don’t see you as a halo type of person but you might prove me wrong.

ha ha..I see that you''re trying to get it out of me Ms C!

Well, I''m afraid you may just have to wait..

I can say, it is not a setting that has been done before on PS (to my knowledge).
It is inspired by something, but will also have changes.

I''m very excited to own my first platinum setting and have been reading all I can about patinas/maintenance etc - I''ve never been a fan of the metal before (which you would see in my old posts), but it just seemed "right" for this ring and stone. Plus it came in on budget
1.gif

It will be quite different to anything I own, and hopefully will be beautiful!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 7:44:12 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Lovely stone. I like the color change!!
31.gif

cheers TL! So you would clarify this as a colour shift/change?

I did request Jeff for a specific stone with a violet component, and he nailed the colour(s) for sure!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just on the topic of platinum - I would love some input here.

I have read all the articles and older threads on plat and patinas etc, but would like to hear mbrs stories if possible...

I am a lil concerned as I don''t have a local jeweller here that I have a relationship with, who I could go to for polishing/maintenance.
I also have read that polishing plat is somewhat of a skill, and don''t want to take my BGD creation to just anyone...

Garry H is of the opinion not to polish it at all for at least a year or 2 and let the patina develop.

I would love to hear the thoughts of any plat ring owners in this thread - do you have yours polished, and if so how regularly?

And if by chance any WA residents come by here - any jeweller you can recommend for plat maintenance..?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 platinum ring settings and have never had them polished. Then again, they never had a chance to develop the patina because they are not everyday rings despite my owning them for at least 3 years. I’m sorry I’m of no help.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Amazing stones. I really like the colour of the sapphire.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
That''s okay Chrono - I''m looking for all experiences. So the scratches don''t bother you then?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow! I like all the intense color!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 8:18:35 AM
Author: arjunajane
That''s okay Chrono - I''m looking for all experiences. So the scratches don''t bother you then?
Not at all because the scratches are few and fine. I guess it’s when there are a lot of scratches that it begins to look grayish and is called the patina?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Sapphire!
30.gif
The zircon is equally lovely and will look really good in yellow gold!

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 8:26:44 AM
Date: 10/21/2009 8:18:35 AM

Author: arjunajane

Not at all because the scratches are few and fine. I guess it’s when there are a lot of scratches that it begins to look grayish and is called the patina?

cheers C - thats my understanding - a patina is basically a fancy word for "covered in tiny scratches"
2.gif
So they slowly build up. Then again, many love the patina..

I am like you and only tend to wear my coloured gem rings occasionally and lightly, such as to work than take off once home.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou everyone for your comments!

Arcadian, this is *kind of* my thoughts for the zircon - you don''t think it would be too much yellow?
3.gif

HL8 aj.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Holy holy holy moly that is STUNNING!!!
30.gif
Massive amounts of drool over here! That color blue is just fantastic!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Awesome sapphire, AJ! Definitely worthy of a platinum setting.
36.gif

I have a platinum setting for my 1.5 ct diamond and I get it polished every couple of years or so. The scratches develop so slowly that it is really hard to notice. The main place I notice is on the band on the inside of the hand where I constantly bump it grabbing door handles and such, and on the parts of the bezel that protrude out the farthest.

Please don''t spend a lot of time worrying about scratches in your platinum. Life is too short for that.
2.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ, your new sapphire is absolutely stunning! The color, the cut.... just gorgeous and yes, I do agree that a stone like that deserves a platinum home.

I have three platinum rings, but like Chrono, I don''t wear any of them as every day rings, so I don''t have any finish worries yet. A friend of mine does have a Lieberfarb platinum wedding band and she didn''t take it off for years. She wore it to do everything. Her ring dulled like a stainless steel pot that had been heavily Brillo-ed, but I think you''d have to really beat the heck of your jewelry for it to look that way. Little scratches don''t bother me much, or at least I''m trying very hard to break myself of that habit.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, those are all breathtaking stones. (I was wondering who snapped up the zircon! It looks and sounds like a stunner.) The sapphire''s one of the most beautiful I''ve ever seen. Congratulations on all three.
1.gif

I think that gold bezel setting would be beautiful with the zircon.

Re: platinum and patina -- my e-ring is platinum and I wear it daily, but I have only had it for about a year. It hasn''t really developed a patina yet, still looks pretty much the same as when I got it. I know that''s not much help but, well, it''s something?

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
OMG! Look what happens when I close my eyes to sleep for one night! ARJ- I am thrilled for you! Your sapph came out so beautifully! I am so happy we PSer''s swayed you toward going for this stone instead of the original oval. Even came out larger and the shape and colour are stunning!!! Kudos once again to the artist, Jeff White!
Seems like you got a lot of photos, different lighting, etc. You must be busting to see it in person! Can''t wait to see your ring all set . It sounds spectacular- and it''s real! haha! ( Seinfeld episode?)
Wear it well!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunners!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results