shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this considered a good colour change sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/22/2009 10:58:51 PM
Author: chictomato
Oops one more! mastercut gem3

Hi everyone out there! What do you think of this stone? Do you think its a good worthy buy? well, I know that its not CC, but I find it pretty:) What do you think? Is it of a desirable color and saturation? Do you think that I should settle for Mastercut colour change saphhire? Dana had replied ''The round color change is a little more saturated but not dark by any means" VS2CC or do you think that I should continue looking around?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 12:10:22 PM

Hi everyone out there! What do you think of this stone? Do you think its a good worthy buy? well, I know that its not CC, but I find it pretty:) What do you think? Is it of a desirable color and saturation? Do you think that I should settle for Mastercut colour change saphhire? Dana had replied ''The round color change is a little more saturated but not dark by any means'' VS2CC or do you think that I should continue looking around?
Oh I think that one is very pretty. BUT I have never looked at them online and then seen the online ones in person.

I wonder if it is big enough for you?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 4:10:46 AM
Hi Austennuts! Thanks for the reference! I will check it out in a while! I have a good one here..I hope:)VS2 CC Sapphire What do you think?
This one looks like it will be dark in regular lighting...again I''m no expert but stones tend to be lighter in many vendor photos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 12:10:22 PM

Hi everyone out there! What do you think of this stone? Do you think its a good worthy buy? well, I know that its not CC, but I find it pretty:) What do you think? Is it of a desirable color and saturation? Do you think that I should settle for Mastercut colour change saphhire? Dana had replied ''The round color change is a little more saturated but not dark by any means'' VS2CC or do you think that I should continue looking around?
It is ultimately your taste that dictates whether you like it or not. The bi-colour stone you are interested in is not of a desirable colour nor saturation and the price reflects that accordingly. The VS2CC doesn’t rock my boat either but then again, he’s not asking for an arm or a leg for it.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well I was going to keep quite on this but I do have to stand up for myself... The color change sapphire in question 1.50 carat Tanzanian origin 6.7mm is round and it is 6.7mm all the way around; what you see is an optical illusion; it has a rounded girdle instead of a faceted girdle for ease of setting into bezel mounts as the sharp 32 facets on a standard brilliant round sometimes will chip when bezel set especially in white gold so that is why that particular gem has the rounded girdle; but I can assure you it is round
19.gif

Everyone has a personal preference and I dare not ever say anyone is correct in their color choices as that is what makes colored gems so much fun there are enough colors for everyone to be happy with one or two
41.gif

But I could not just sit there and have people call my gems out-of-round and question my skill level... sorry been in it way too long for that
30.gif

And as for price Chrono you are correct; the gems in question are in other words cheap for the family of gem they are in and to be untreated; it is hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear; but most of us cutters try; most of the time it is just a prettier pig
28.gif

But these gems are not expensive they are priced according to their real value; nothing more or less.

I did not chime in to offend anyone; but to question my skill level and if my round was really round; well I am only human and I did not get this pampas title by being a bad cutter
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana,
Thank you for the explanation about the roundness of the colour changer. I figured there must be something going on since it is a precision cut stone. I also believe the price you are asking for the stones as they are represented are fair.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you Chrono; as you well know I am not a good photographer by any stretch on the imagination; and heaven help me if I cut as bad as I shoot pictures
20.gif

I started doing the rounded girdle dealing with the trade as the stone setters complained about chipping girdle facets on the precision faceted girdles; I will admit it does not look like the art cuts we all do and did in competition but under the bezel it sure runs less of a risk of chipping.

I went back and pulled that stone for another client and went all around it and it is 6.7mm; but I agree it looks like a dip in one of the photos; but it sold 20 minutes ago and it has 10 times more life than the photo; so they should be a happy camper
26.gif
It had a great change; but had a little silk going on that made it look sleepy in the photo; but in real life you could see nothing.. These color change gems are really hard to photo; but heck all of them seem to be to me
33.gif

I just had to explain my photos and what was and was not there; I do have a long reputation and unfortunately my photos are not helping it
26.gif

But maybe someday soon I will master the camera???

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 3:16:23 PM
Author: mastercutgems
Thank you Chrono; as you well know I am not a good photographer by any stretch on the imagination; and heaven help me if I cut as bad as I shoot pictures
20.gif

I started doing the rounded girdle dealing with the trade as the stone setters complained about chipping girdle facets on the precision faceted girdles; I will admit it does not look like the art cuts we all do and did in competition but under the bezel it sure runs less of a risk of chipping.

I went back and pulled that stone for another client and went all around it and it is 6.7mm; but I agree it looks like a dip in one of the photos; but it sold 20 minutes ago and it has 10 times more life than the photo; so they should be a happy camper
26.gif
It had a great change; but had a little silk going on that made it look sleepy in the photo; but in real life you could see nothing.. These color change gems are really hard to photo; but heck all of them seem to be to me
33.gif

I just had to explain my photos and what was and was not there; I do have a long reputation and unfortunately my photos are not helping it
26.gif

But maybe someday soon I will master the camera???
This post made me smile! I really sympathise! I''ve tried to capture colour changers and it''s almost impossible. Your descriptions are great and if I were to buy from descriptions alone, you''d win hands down! I think it might be time for a new camera (or photographic assistant)
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chictomato - a suggestion if I may?

You need to decide on (a) colour and (b) whether you want a colour changer or a bi/tri coloured sapphire. These are totally different or (c) whether you would consider a different gemstone altogether.

When you''ve made a decision, start doing some shopping around - you can use the links in to the most used websites at the top of this part of the forum. When you''ve narrowed your search to 2 or 3 possible stones firstly ask the cutter what he thinks. His opinion will always be the best to base your decision on.

I would also second Chrono and say that you''re looking for the impossible i.e. unheated, untreated, great colour change, 2ct gemstone, perfectly cut for under $500 - trust me, if there were such a stone, one of the experienced PS''ers would have snapped it up within 2 seconds of it becoming available!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently what I did (offering sale of my stone) wasn't allowed on this forum therefore I wish to appologise to all.
15.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No problem hotposzzum!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/23/2009 4:14:46 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Chictomato - a suggestion if I may?

You need to decide on (a) colour and (b) whether you want a colour changer or a bi/tri coloured sapphire. These are totally different or (c) whether you would consider a different gemstone altogether.

When you''ve made a decision, start doing some shopping around - you can use the links in to the most used websites at the top of this part of the forum. When you''ve narrowed your search to 2 or 3 possible stones firstly ask the cutter what he thinks. His opinion will always be the best to base your decision on.

I would also second Chrono and say that you''re looking for the impossible i.e. unheated, untreated, great colour change, 2ct gemstone, perfectly cut for under $500 - trust me, if there were such a stone, one of the experienced PS''ers would have snapped it up within 2 seconds of it becoming available!

Hi there thanks for all the responses! I have narrow down to djraregems amd mastercut gem. Will look through and let you guys know of my decision. Lovingdiamonds I would prefer a Color changer,willing to go small for quality. Would like to take the opportunity to apologize, should any of my questions cause any misunderstanding between to Chrono and mastercut.
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CT,
Don’t worry about it. It wasn’t a disagreement at all but clarification, which is always a good thing hence why I always recommend asking the vendor directly since he has the stone in hand while we are making conjectures based on a single picture.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you Chrono! I have decided to go for a finer cc sapphire , my budget now is $800:) hopefully its certified! Kindly let me know should anyone come across one! tks, hopefully its easier to find one this way
21.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys I am back with MORE! What do you think of this CC sapphire

mod_resize_img.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oops sorry details below!
Sapphire»Color Change Sapphire
1.90ct Phenomenal Unheated AAA Color Change SAPPHIRE
1.90ct

Phenomenal Unheated AAA Oval-Cut Color Change Sapphire. Wonderfully Color Change from Violet Color Under Daylight to Purplish Pink Under Incandescent Light!!
Price:$430.00
Gem Type: Fancy Sapphire
Quantity: 1 piece/s
Weight: 1.90 ct.
Size(WxLxH): 8.6 x 6.5 x 3.9
Shape: Oval
Clarity: VVS 1
Luster: Excellent Brilliant
Treatment: No Treatment
Hardness: 9
Origin: Tanzania
Color: Violet

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There is a slight window on the CC sapphire, this garnet has a strong Color Change. Should I get this instead? View pls:)

1.69ct Extraordinary Beautiful Top Color Change Garnet. Phenomenal Color Change Garnet from Violet Color Under Daylight to Purplish Red Under Incandescent Light.

Price:$433.00

Gem Type: Garnet
Weight: 1.69 ct.
Size(WxLxH): 7.6 x 6 x 4.2
Shape: Oval
Clarity: VVS 1
Luster: Strikingly Beautiful
Hardness: 7.5
Origin: Madagascar
Color: Violet To Purplish Red

ccgarnet.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
one more!
Which is a better choice between these 2 sapphires?
1.51ct Certified UNHEATED Pear-Cut Color Change Sapphire. Display Beautiful Purple Colored Under Daylight to Violet Pink Under Incandescent Light
Price:$281.00
Gem Type: Sapphire
Weight: 1.51 ct.
Size(WxLxH): 8.25 x 5.95 x 3.9
Shape: Pear
Clarity: VS 2
Luster: Outstanding
Hardness: 9
Origin: Tanzania
Color: Purple-Violet-Pink

pear saphire.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Of these last two sapphires, the 1st one has a nicer color, but given that it''s quite a bit more expensive and roughly the same size, no wonder that it looks better. But I''d say that this garnet you posted beats either of the two sapphires, so if you''d be OK with it''s lower hardness, I say go for it. BTW, if you''ll spend several hundred dollars, make sure you get a certificate of some sort, not just hope you get one. And additional photos of the stone before the purchase would be nice, just to eliminate any unpleasant surprises (see the sticky thread about vendor vs. buyer photos).

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi ma re, tks alot for your reply! Yes, I was given a choice og GIA, AIGS, GIT and GRS. May I know which is a more preferred lab to choose? Which lab provides more detailed and accurate information on a stone? I do feel that the garnet has a striking color change, however I would really prefer a sapphire hardness. The first pair of sapphire (nicer pair) has a slight window, not noticeable when you are 2 feet away (according to the seller), it kinda put me off a little. Is the windown bad for the first sapphire? May I know why dio you think that the first pair of sapphire is nicer? What about the 2nd pair of sapphire? Do you think that I am paying a premium for the garnet? its about the same pric as the sapphire.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
All of the stones you posted are significantly better than the previous options you were looking at.

If you''re worried about the window in the first sapphire, then when you ask for more pictures ask for one where the stone is not tilted at all, just a head-on shot of it. This will probably show the window the most, and you can see if it''s significant enough where you would be bothered with it.

If you''re really looking for a stone with a big color change, the garnet has that and looks like a nice stone. I suspect part of the pricing is due to the fact that it does have a stronger color change than the sapphire, and was priced accordingly.

I''m not a big fan of the sapphire pear as it has more of a sleepy/hazy look to it and I usually prefer stones that are more clear and sharp.

I don''t know who the vendor is (and I''m not saying you should post that necessarily if you don''t want others to know) but I would do a search of them on the forum (it''s on the upper right hand side of the page). See if others have used them and what their experiences have been.

In terms of certifications, from my reading on the forums I think GIA and AIGS are the most respected, but I''d also wait for a more experienced person to chime in.

Also, if you''re now willing to do a cc garnet then you may want to look again at the two I posted from AJS on the first page of this thread. I still think those are some very nice stones that are well worth looking at.

In terms of the hardness of garnet vs sapphire, how do you plan on setting the stone? How often would you wear it? What kind of stress would it be under? The answers to these questions might well answer whether or not a garnet would suit your needs as well.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
When it comes to labs, I''ll let some of the more experienced shoppers from this forum to help out.

How much do you plan on wearing this stone? I''m asking this because, if you''ll only wear it like once a week for an hour, then hardness is really not that important. If you''d, however, like to wear it as much as possible (like 24/7), then it would be wise to take hardness into consideration.

Window in the first stone (not pair, it''s one stone that changes color...just checking to see if you understand this
2.gif
) doesen''t seem obvious, and if it''s not in the photo, it''s probably not in real life either. If it''s not visible from 2 feet away I''d consider it small, as that''s about the distance of an arm''s lenght. Besides, when there''s a rich color present in the stone, and the cutting makes the stone lively, I''m really OK with a small window.

I like the first sapphire more, cause it seems to have a richer color, especially if you compare that reddish purple (similar to a color of rhodolite) to a rather plain and almost washed-out appearance of purple in the other one. The first one has many different shades of purple sparkling from within, and that''s a sign of a good color - it''s OK to see just one shade of color if the stone is not faceted (if it''s a cabochon). Overall, the stone should remind you of a colored mosaic.

I''m not an expert when it comes to pricing gemstones, but I don''t think this garnet is overpriced, as both colors are really nice, especially the red.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here my summary:
1st cc sapphire: better of the 2 sapphires.
CC garnet: the best of the 3 stones. Strong colour change and more vibrant
2nd cc sapphire: appears sleepy
Given the lab choices, I’d go with either GIA or AIGS. 2 feet away is too much for me for observing windows. Heck, nothing is observable 2 feet away. The first stone does appear to have a medium sized window. Actually, all 3 stones still have windows but it is difficult to gauge their sizes due to the angle of the pictures. Not only that, it is very possible that a strong light source is used to lighten the stones because I observe a very strong shadow in all 3 pictures. I’d ask for additional pictures, in particular, all 3 stones side by side in the same picture. I understand that it’s not easy to have them on the back of the hand but colour is the most accurate that way.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
THANK YOU AustenNut and ma re!

I think I shall start a new thread regarding the lab.

Ya Austennut, I remember your kind recommendation (AJS) of cos!!

Had referred to them this morning, wanna let you know that the 1.22 carat CC garnet has been sold, now is left with the 1.09 CC garnet priced at $365 ( without cert). C

omparing the AJS 1.09 carat CC garnet and the latest 1.61 CC garnet, I think that my latest post has a prettiier color change and it will come with a cert:)

Actually I will not be wearing it often, I just thought of buying one as I find the color change amazing:) But I always prefer a hard gem like diamond and sapphire as I just feel more ''secure'' wearing it, in case there is an accidental knock or something:) I intend to set it into a halo, filigree ring in 18k white gold.

I would love to post the link like I did previously. But that has bring upon some unnecessary misunderstanding... hence I will not post it tthis time..

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/22/2009 6:23:24 PM
Author: AustenNut
Here''s a cc sapphire from D&J that''s in your price range and size. The colors aren''t as vivid as some of the others, but it''s a sapphire and a larger stone.

Hi there! I had requested for more info from John Rhoads (D & J Rare Gems) this sapphire was cut in Sri Lanka. The gem is well cut with no window or inclusions. The color is a fine, greenish blue in daylight changing to purple under incandescent light. 85 to 100% change. Can I have your views on it? Has anyone deal with John from D&J Rare gems before? thought of getting a few more CC sapphire:) Do keep me posted should you come across any! tks in advance!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''re refering to a 1.96 oval, I can''t say I''m crazy about it. Neither color strikes me as something special and the cutting may make it look a bit sleepy, at least judging from this photo (meaning, I don''t think it will scintillate very much). The one that caught my eye on that website is a 4.94 cc spinel - nice saturated colors, seems very lively, it''s an even larger size, almost as durable as sapphire and more durable than garnets, and it''s got an interesting color change (not to mention that it''s even more affordable than the sapphire). But it''s your choice, your taste and your money so buy whatever will make you happy
2.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Chictomato,

I thought you had already found a cc sapphire? What happened to that one, or are you getting another?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had seek some advices from Mr Richard Homer and he thinks that the depth is too shallow, it will result in a huge window. So I had decided to pass that piece. So now I will go on searching:)

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about contacting one of the recommended cutters and asking them what they can do for you in consideration of your budget? That way you know it will have an excellent cut, you can determine the shape and size, as well as pick the color rather than waiting until someone decides to cut another CC sapphire and hoping it has the qualities you want.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi YES AustenNut, I had just left an email to Gene. 30 seconds ago to be exact:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results