shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this considered a good colour change sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
THANK YOU SO MUCH! AUSTNNUTS, CHRONO, LOVINGEMS,jstarfireb AND STONEHUNTER, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP IN LOOKING OUT AND OFFERING ADVISES FOR ME:)
36.gif
By the way, Austen nuts I do like the mastercut gem sapphire. However, although its stated 1.46 carat, but why does it measure so small? only 6X5mm? Is it dark in anyway? do you guys recommend this?I do not think that it will goes well with a diamond halo. Do you think that it goes well in a filigree setting? tks!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can see quite a few ''potential'' ones:) well, at least for my kinda ''low'' standard of appreciation:) seek your advise! Which are worth looking into more details? wfsgem

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
As I''ve said before, I''m not an expert and so I would wait for the more knowledgeable folk to come out and offer their opinions on the quality of the stones. As far as my personal preference, I would prefer a solid color stone for a halo, rather than a bi or tricolor one. Then again, I''m not sure if I''ve ever seen one, and perhaps if I did then I would change my mind. In terms of having this stuff go into a filigreed setting, I''d probably also go with a solid color, though I think there is more flexibility here. What kind of a filigree setting are you thinking of? If you had any pictures that my help us give advice.

And which stones in the link were you thinking of? I have to admit that the ones I liked best were well out of your price range, but that I''ve seen better stones at the higher prices elsewhere. The less expensive ones tended to be really dark to my eye.

As far as the Master Cut stone goes, the weight is probably coming in from the depth, as I think it''s fairly deep if I remember correctly. Remember, carat size is really the weight and not the "face up" size. So sometimes a stone can have a larger carat weight but not have it be evident from just looking at it from the top.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
This one is not exactly a bicolored sapphire, but is a beautiful combo of blue and purple, and I think this would work well in a halo.

pearsapphi.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Austennut! Its pretty but it heated. I would prefer an unheated one:) I hasn''t really decided on the setting just some random ideas. Can you kindly look into Mastercut gems sapphire at your free time? as i do see a couple of bi color that are kinda pretty and unheated. Do let me know your views! So what do you think of the mastercut bi color/color change sapphire? its a little too small right?tks

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/21/2009 11:20:12 PM
Author: Lovinggems
I have little experience with colour change stone, but of the 2 I bought I returned one and other one is nearly the least favourite out of the gemstones I bought. It seems lower priced colour change stones tend to be dark and their colours are not as pleasing. My personal preference is a nice coloured stone with no colour change.

Here''s a nice one from finewatergems.com, more pricey and smaller than what you want.

Hi lovinggems I agreed that this is one of the prettiest however its way off my budget
40.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/22/2009 6:55:44 PM
Author: AustenNut
Another multi-colored sapphire from Swala Gem Traders, but I don''t like this one as well. But then again, different strokes for different folks.

Hmm.. I do not like the way the color is disperse

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/22/2009 6:24:32 PM
Date: 9/22/2009 5:10:53 PM

If you''re willing to do a color change garnet this one from AJS has the weight and price that you''d like.

With the picture

Pretty CC garnet! But will still prefer a sapphire :) tks though!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/21/2009 11:47:07 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I''m not expert enough to comment much on the links you posted, chictomato, except to say that there''s not a whole lot of information given. Some of the stones don''t have photos of both colors, which would be important. Some look too dark and others have big windows.

The one from Finewater is gorgeous but >$1000. There''s also a CC garnet on his site for about $1500...

For something closer to (but still a bit above) your price range, check out the second stone down on this page:

Look at Gem 888, the trilliant

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reference but I do not like the shape:)

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Chictomato,

My family knows that I have very particular tastes and that I can be something of a difficult shopper. But at a certain point you have to realize that something has to give. Right now this is what you''re asking for:

1) A color change stone
2) A sapphire
3) At least 1.2ct
4) Unheated
5) Good cut
6) Pretty color
7) Less than $500

This is a very tall order. I''ve gone through more than 30 different websites (including all of the recommended vendors on PS) trying to find stones that meet your requirements. I''ve posted everything that I''ve found. The only thing I can think of is if you lurk on ebay or diamondbistro and see if someone just happens to sell a stone that you''d like and you might be able to get a better price secondhand. Either that or contact some of the cutters and see if they have the material and are willing to cut for your price. But in terms of what is on the market, I think you''ve seen it in this thread and the others you''ve started.

If you want a pretty stone with good color change (and nice colors) that''s 1.2ct and unheated, then maybe you should look at some garnets or spinels. If you want to stick with a sapphire then there''s an excellent chance of it coming mildly heated. If you want an unheated sapphire of the right size then it''s probably going to be too dark or not have much of a color change. Or if you want an unheated sapphire with pretty colors and a good color change then you might need a smaller sized stone.

Another option you may want to consider is looking at antique and estate rings. That way you can see the stone already in the setting, and sometimes estate rings have some very nice quality stones in them. You just have to look around, and that may help financially since your budget is tight. (I think others around have said that they are usually charged $100-150 to have their local jeweler set a stone. I''d double-check this, but since this would be at least 20% of your stone budget, it''s a factor to keep in mind as well.) What is your budget for the setting (or rather, for the total ring)? Perhaps people might browse antique rings that would fit your price range to see if there''s something you like.

I''m not sure what questions you have about the Master Cut Gems sapphire, but I would contact them directly to have all of your queries answered. They would be far more informative than I ever could be, particularly since I really am not an expert at all.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi humble Austennut
41.gif
you are much more knowledgeable than me at least:razz: Yap I had posted some questions to Mastercut gem. You are right he will be able to provide more detailed info. I have decided to look into Mastercut gem and hopefully Mr Dana can work out something! tks

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Well, here''s another untreated sapphire.

And good luck with Master Cuts. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

bisapph2.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chictomato, not sure this is allowed on this website (forgive me if not!) but I personally have a beautiful tri-coloured emerald cut sapphire that measures 4.5mm x 5.5mm faces up about 1ct. It is totally unheated and untreated and mined locally to me. It is a beautiful tealy blue/green in sunlight that reflects yellow/green when inside. I am happy to sell this for around $AU350 so this would be in your budget. (I''m looking to fund my new asscher purchase - there is nothing wrong with this stone) Bet it would look terrific in a diamond halo....

Just let me know if you are interested.
35.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Hotpozzum! Thank you so much for your offer! Will you be able to attach some photos on the color change? any maybe some brief information on clarity? I think that its a little small in terms of measurements anyway do attach some photos at your free time!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Austennuts! Thanks for the reference! I will check it out in a while! I have a good one here..I hope:)VS2 CC Sapphire What do you think?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hotpozzum, thought I would just give you a headsup, what you are doing isn't allowed on the forums.
I understand you and the OP could contact Admin and ask them to mediate if you wish, but don't quote me on that.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
My thoughts on the latest stones:

mastercutgem: I''m not a big fan of the yellow/brown patch, but if you like the look then it''s fine to my eye.

mastercutgem1: I prefer this stone to the previous one, as I think it looks prettier overall. But there is no indication whatsoever that this is a color change. And you may want to ask if what appears to be a swirl of blues in the stone really is a mixing of various blues or if it''s just the picture.

mastercuggem2: The colors are certainly unusual in this stone, but I''m not sure if they''re to everybody''s taste. It would certainly be an interesting stone to see in person (it practically seems as though there''s a ridge right through the middle though it''s probably an optical illusion). This isn''t a stone I would want to wear, but maybe you (or your ff) have different tastes.

mastercutgems3: It appears to be a pretty stone and if the color is accurate could be very pretty. However I found when photographing my very dark sapphire most of the photos made it look lighter than it really is. I''d be wary, but I would speak with Master Cut to see how dark this stone is in real life. Also, there is no indication that there is any kind of color change here.

VS2CCsapphire: This is better than most of the other cc stones you''ve posted. While you''re speaking with Dana I''d ask which picture is most common in real life, the first two or the third. My bet is the first two, in which case I think it''s rather dark. But if it''s the third then it may be a stone you want to consider given your constraints.

Have you spoken with your future fiancee about what color stone she''d like to have? Or what colors do you see her wear a lot or are her favorites? Perhaps that might help you come to a decision as there are a wide variety of colors in this thread. Also, does she prefer the dark stones, as you do? Or does she prefer medium-toned or lighter-toned ones? Just something to think about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The options from AJS to show some promise. If interested, I’d contact to ask for more pictures (the side view, the back view, but more importantly, a view of it on the back of the hand between the fingers). If none that you’ve seen tickles your eye, I second Austen’s advice. You’ve a very tall order and everything you want just doesn’t fit all in one stone.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono, which option from AJS are you referring to? what do you think of the last 4 links from Mastercut gem? tks

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi AustenNut! Its for myself :) Are you a lady? which country are you from? I am from Singapore!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC1: An unusual stone – what I don’t like about it is the patchy colouring. I prefer by bi-colours to have a definite split of colours.
MC2: The patchy colouring is more obvious that MC1.
MC3: How do you feel about the silky sleepy look? Some people don’t like it because the stone doesn’t look clear or has an hazy appearance
MC4: (1 ct stone) Looks decent but again, I’m not a fan of the by-colouring being only around the edges but it’s certainly a unique look; almost like the rind of a watermelon but of course, in a different colour.
MC5: (ccround) Stone appears gray and darkish but these stones aren’t easy to photograph. Again, I’d follow up with questions on the tone if you are interested.
Austen,
The above stones are not colour changers but bi/tri colour sapphires with the exception of the last cc round.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oya actually I do like Dana''s sapphire (the last 4 links) not really the 2nd greenish yellow one. However, the last VS2CCsapphire seems cut out of round? Is it normal? does it reflects on the cutter skill?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 8:39:39 AM
Author: chictomato
Oya actually I do like Dana''s sapphire (the last 4 links) not really the 2nd greenish yellow one. However, the last VS2CCsapphire seems cut out of round? Is it normal? does it reflects on the cutter skill?
CT,
I’m not exactly sure which stone you are referring to that you like best. As for the round cc sapphire, yes, it looks slightly off round or perhaps has an uneven girdle. It could also be the angle of the stone in the holder. This is a question best posed to Dana because we don’t have a side view of the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 8:21:50 AM
Author: chictomato
Hi Chrono, which option from AJS are you referring to? what do you think of the last 4 links from Mastercut gem? tks
I meant all the AJS colour changers.
I’ve also commented on all the MC stones. Personally, I’m not a fan of the splotchy appearance – when I think of a bi or tri coloured stone, I want to see a clear line separating the colours right down the middle of the stone. The MC stones give the appearance more of colour zoning, an highly undesired characteristic in gemstones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results