shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this considered a good colour change sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He says in his written description that it''s a darker stone. I personally wouldn''t be happy with it. It would be too dark for me.

Maybe you''ll like it?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hi there I kinda like the color in the website but afraid that IRL the color will be even darker or worst near black:) anyway here is another one Color change Sapphire II

Pls let me know your views!! thanks in advance
19.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m far from an expert on this, but the second stone seems to have an awfully big window. Perhaps you can ask for pictures of the Gemrite stone when it''s the other color. Perhaps it doesn''t seem as dark in the other color?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I have little experience with colour change stone, but of the 2 I bought I returned one and other one is nearly the least favourite out of the gemstones I bought. It seems lower priced colour change stones tend to be dark and their colours are not as pleasing. My personal preference is a nice coloured stone with no colour change.

Here's a nice one from finewatergems.com, more pricey and smaller than what you want.

3468984.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m not expert enough to comment much on the links you posted, chictomato, except to say that there''s not a whole lot of information given. Some of the stones don''t have photos of both colors, which would be important. Some look too dark and others have big windows.

The one from Finewater is gorgeous but >$1000. There''s also a CC garnet on his site for about $1500...

For something closer to (but still a bit above) your price range, check out the second stone down on this page:
Look at Gem 888, the trilliant

Hope that helps!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would have to agree with the others that it is really dark. With a stone like that, I would worry about it blacking out in normal indoor lighting, or darkening more when it was set!

I love the cc sapphire from Finewater, but it is a on the pricier side.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Chictomato,

Most of the stones you''ve posted are either really dark or have big windows (to my inexpert eyes). Have to say that the Finewater sapphire that Lovinggems posted is gorgeous. But Jstar''s trillion recommendation also seems very nice, and at a price that you can probably afford. I guess what would probably be most helpful for people would be the following:

1) What''s your budget? I know you mentioned increasing yours, but what kind of numbers are we talking about?

2) What''s the minimum size that you want the stone to be? You said you valued quality over size, but at what point do you think that small is TOO small?

3) Do you have a shape preference (trillion, oval, round, etc)?

You may also find it helpful to keep your search all to one thread rather than having multiple threads on pretty much the same subject. That way you don''t have to keep going around to check the different threads, and we can compare various stones more easily that way as well as not repeat comments that others may have said in a different thread of yours.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Also, have you thought about looking for jewelry with the stones already set? I know ebay can be iffy (depends on the seller, and I know nothing about this one) but here is a ring with a color-change sapphire where the color changes are noticeable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st Gemrite stone: Yes, it is a very dark stone. It will be difficult to see the body colour but due to the cutting, you’ll get flashes of colour.
2nd MC stone: Rather gray and with a huge window. The blue colour is also quite dark.
3rd MC stone: Nicer tone but the colour change isn’t pretty. I’m not fond of a colour change to brown.
4th MC stone: Not an attractive colour change coupled with clarity issues and pretty bad cutting.
5th cc stone: Much too dark – almost inky black.
6th cc stone: Incredibly gray, very dark and just generally unattractive.
7th trilliant: The vendor is honest enough to say it’s a very dark stone.

Chictomato,
Something has to give. $300 isn’t going to get you a nice colour change stone even for something around 1 ct. You’ll either need to up your budget or look for a different stone altogether.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic,
Here’s a nice looking cc garnet that’s 1.55 ct but as you can see, it’s not inexpensive at nearly $1500. The blue is still darkish but better than most I've seen.
I think you should have a fair idea of how much a nice one costs and have enough information to decide if you want to increase you budget by that amount, accept a dark stone with lesser change or look for a different type of stone altogether. http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html

155ccgarnet.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there thanks everyone you guys are really helpful! Ok, I have increase my budget to around $500, looking for a bi/tri/color change sapphire, around 1.2 carat at least:) hopefully its more realistic ! I like Oval, and pear more. But am open to other shapes too. Wanted to set it into a halo 18k filigree ring. Tks! Will a bi/tri color sapphire command a lower price than a color change sapphire? tks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the colour of the bi/tri, it most likely will be priced less than a colour change sapphire. A good thing in your favour is that ovals are the most common shape but pears are pretty rare. I don’t have time to look for any right now but when I do, I’ll keep an eye out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Chrono!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen this one from AJS? It''s a bit on the darker side but the colors are pretty and there is a definite color change.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re willing to do a color change garnet this one from AJS has the weight and price that you''d like.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a cc sapphire from D&J that''s in your price range and size. The colors aren''t as vivid as some of the others, but it''s a sapphire and a larger stone.

ccsapphire.JPG

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 5:10:53 PM
Author: AustenNut
If you''re willing to do a color change garnet this one from AJS has the weight and price that you''d like.

With the picture

ccgarnet122.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 4:58:03 PM
Author: AustenNut
Have you seen this one from AJS? It's a bit on the darker side but the colors are pretty and there is a definite color change.

With picture.

ETA: This is a sapphire, not a garnet.

ccsaph136.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about a color-changing/shifting spinel? It's harder than garnet but not quite as hard as sapphire. Here's one by Dan Stair who is highly recommended from around here. You'd have to ask for more pictures to see what color it shifts to though.

ETA: the link

csspinel.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
A very interesting looking sapphire from Swala Gem Traders for just a hair over budget at $548.

MCsapphire.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Another multi-colored sapphire from Swala Gem Traders, but I don''t like this one as well. But then again, different strokes for different folks.

mcsapphire2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results