shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick the more colorful strand of the two!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore the drops. A fair number of the rounds have nice body colour variance. Maybe about half of them. Enough for a brightly multicolour "sticky colour" bracelet.
https://cmwpearls.com/collections/r.../products/tahitian-pearl-necklace-multi-nl448

All vendors are going to include some "filler" pearls in their ready-to-go strands that will grey out in unfavourable lighting. You aren't going to get a super bright multi from a single strand unless you specialty source from loose lots (or have someone specialty source for you).

Last edited:

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
I feel like my love affair with Tahitians is doomed. I’m always expecting the same vibrant colors I see in these ideal lighting photos to translate and show up in real life lighting and it never quite translates.

I feel the same way as you... I just asked a trusted vendor if I was being unrealistic in my expectations for bright colours in Tahitians based on what I had anchored to on glamoured shots.

He very nicely confirmed that was the case.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade I just read through your entire thread—wow! I really love the rope of baroques, so beautiful. And the photos of the same necklace in 4 different light conditions really helps!

@Bojambles I’m glad I’m not alone!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie Thank you as always for all your time and teaching! I’m very grateful you took all the time to show me all those photos and type up all your wise, wise thoughts!

I saw that strand on cmw! I really love the color, but the OCD in me was having a panic attack at all the staggered shapes hahaha.

What about this strand (same website). The two blue pearls really pop out at me. Some of the rest are a bit more homogenous in color. Im not super blown away. Do you think this is a strand with more body color than the two I posted before (also from same vendor!).

$2500 isn’t a lot for a nice strand although I’ve never bought from this vendor before so not sure if safe to take a risk! (I may need to buy the pearls undrilled so in case I need to return them I can. Are there vendors in the US that can drill them for a fee?). The bit about import tax also scares me.

28269F44-3DD6-4723-BC8C-A1A5EAB31921.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, someone just purchased strand 2 I posted about earlier today! That was a quick snipe within a few hours!

I hate snipers! (Although, to be fair, I’m still undecided so maybe it’s better this way, saves me $$$)

On the bright side, I didn’t know they had their own website until @yssie sent me the link above. I had been looking on their Etsy page. So, for anyone who comes across this thread in the future for learning, here’s a link to the video I could not figure out how to post here earlier, but now found a direct link on their website to:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Thank you as always for all your time and teaching! I’m very grateful you took all the time to show me all those photos and type up all your wise, wise thoughts!

I saw that strand on cmw! I really love the color, but the OCD in me was having a panic attack at all the staggered shapes hahaha.

What about this strand (same website). The two blue pearls really pop out at me. Some of the rest are a bit more homogenous in color. Im not super blown away. Do you think this is a strand with more body color than the two I posted before (also from same vendor!).

$2500 isn’t a lot for a nice strand although I’ve never bought from this vendor before so not sure if safe to take a risk! (I may need to buy the pearls undrilled so in case I need to return them I can. Are there vendors in the US that can drill them for a fee?). The bit about import tax also scares me.

28269F44-3DD6-4723-BC8C-A1A5EAB31921.jpeg
my guess at what this strand will do in the most favourable lighting outside the actual lightbox

Attachments

• GUESS.jpg
    GUESS.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade I just read through your entire thread—wow! I really love the rope of baroques, so beautiful. And the photos of the same necklace in 4 different light conditions really helps!

@Bojambles I’m glad I’m not alone!

My wave strand holds its color in nearly all conditions - crappy pics already so don’t have to take new ones hahaha

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, someone just purchased strand 2 I posted about earlier today! That was a quick snipe within a few hours!
yeah now that its gone i'l lbe blunt you didn't miss out. that strand will go grey grey grey except like four pearls anywhere outside the lightbox . cmw has some nice multi potentials that wasn't one of them

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw my inspiration strand is one owned by a Pser here (apologies I don’t remember the member, hope it’s ok I share photos of that strand because it’s so stunning!):

D1646109-7575-42B8-982A-80E6E2E7B9FD.jpeg F52E3242-1C7A-4B32-A3A0-5367602EEDAD.jpeg B18A0167-75AE-4086-BD93-CEF46D039D74.jpeg

I'm just replying to post the link to the post by dmz who bought these pearls for his wife, for anyone who is interested (the thread about the 2014 PP Tahitians sale is a fun read, with many lovely Tahitian photos.)

Good luck finding your perfect strand!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade's bubble rope is the perfect example of this IMO. I have pics saved somewhere on this computer... "This" being - focusing on body colour variety, and deprioritizing overtone. Body colour is what will "stick" through various lighting environments - overtone fades in real-world lighting.

A few years ago I bought a couple of strands from Cees and made a multicolour bracelet with exactly this in mind. I wanted a bracelet that largely ignored overtone in favour of diverse body colour. I sold it a while ago but here's the thread with pics -
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...5mm-from-cees-newly-strung-never-worn.260904/
1630125987808.png

One of the pics from that thread. A bit blurry and white balance is a bit off, I know. This was taken in the pseudo-lightbox. All the pearls except these three pretty much have no - or minimal - contrasting overtone... All the pearls except these three are the same colour in the middle and on the outside, there's no "soap bubble halo" of colour.

DELETE2.jpg

Here's what I mean by body colour being "sticky" across various lighting environments. The smaller strand is another multicolour with strong overtone but not as much body colour variation.

In this pic both strands look really nice. Very multicolour. Pseudo lightbox. Again, ignore the white balance.
COMP_4 (1).jpg

In this lighting - the real world version of a lightbox, by a window on a cloudy day. Both strands look multicoloured but the bottom is winning on colour.
COMP_2.jpg

In this lighting only the Cees strand shows actual colour variance. The overtones on the smaller strand have faded.
COMP_1.jpg

This is possibly the most unflattering lighting environment ever - directional incandescent light. The smaller strand with strong overtones but weaker body differential is totally just shades of grey. But amazingly - the Cees strand still reads as multi!
COMP_3.jpg

To clarify - neither strand in these photos is actually for sale!! I took the pics for someone back when I had the Cees strand listed and I'm reusing them here for illustration.

This is incredibly helpful, thank you so much for sharing! you’ve helped demystify so much about pearls!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ignore the drops. A fair number of the rounds have nice body colour variance. Maybe about half of them. Enough for a brightly multicolour "sticky colour" bracelet.
https://cmwpearls.com/collections/r.../products/tahitian-pearl-necklace-multi-nl448

All vendors are going to include some "filler" pearls in their ready-to-go strands that will grey out in unfavourable lighting. You aren't going to get a super bright multi from a single strand unless you specialty source from loose lots (or have someone specialty source for you).

Wow those drops are a nightmare design hah! So hard to see past those…but the rounds are lovely!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My wave strand holds its color in nearly all conditions - crappy pics already so don’t have to take new ones hahaha

Beautiful strand…goodness! You’ve got such incredible pearls…

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade Thanks for the link to the other thread—I wish I could go to a pearl fair like that! I saw the lollipop strand—sadly yellows don’t look good on me. I’ll keep searching and in the meantime I might join you and some of the jade lovers on the other thread (I’m getting ready to buy a bangle from ultimate jadeite).

@pearlsngems Many thanks for finding that thread. Yes, that’s the one!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade Thanks for the link to the other thread—I wish I could go to a pearl fair like that! I saw the lollipop strand—sadly yellows don’t look good on me. I’ll keep searching and in the meantime I might join you and some of the jade lovers on the other thread (I’m getting ready to buy a bangle from ultimate jadeite).

It’s ok, the right one will come. Don’t give up ok?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
3 new contenders! To be honest other than size I don’t see much diff in luster or body color, but would love others’ thoughts

13x11 (very mild blemish)
9C627291-D94F-4CB8-AD15-368C85ABD786.jpeg C1339312-C19E-486F-8B0B-552173F71BFD.jpeg
12X10 (mild blemish):
6AF731FA-1F0A-48A1-977B-9DA688757B53.jpeg 2E4B8F83-00EE-43B7-9E37-8636DC8211B9.jpeg
10x8 (moderate blemish):
AEF8DEB5-51D5-4AE6-B6CE-C4DA46000015.jpeg

And all 3 together:
AFD2A24A-12E8-4649-9CD7-6C535EFEE79F.jpeg

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I’m on the fence to be honest.

What I like: these seem to be solid body colors and prob will “stick” better in different light conditions. Nice shape, not bad luster, for me blemish degree is fine.

What I dislike: The color scheme is a tad repetitive (am I being too picky/unrealistic here?). I see mostly blue, yellow, Aubergine, amd whites. No “fancy” colors like pink, pistachio, etc. Or is it because this is under “non-fancy” lighting so I don’t see the whole array of overtones?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
For comparison, this is the inspiration strand I’m aiming for (thanks @icy_jade!). To me this inspiration strand looks like it has a wider array of different colors? Or is it just a difference in light conditions (calling @yssie)

Should I ask to see the above 3 strands in the same outdoor light conditions as this inspiration strand?

97406D3F-E32E-488C-871E-1DCA9D7CD45D.jpeg D898F213-AE35-42E6-BD15-53D56FC102CD.jpeg

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You aren't seeing the overtones in the pics they sent. Body colour is nicely varied. If you put the strand from IG (second set, outdoors) into the same light as the ones they sent you - it'd look the same.
Never hurts to get more photos in various lighting environments... You could ask for photos on skin, too.
You can always have them adjust the pattern a bit! It can't change completely, because the pearls need to graduate unnoticeably in size, but small adjustments to break a pattern up are definitely doable.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Agree with @yssie that you can ask for more pics in the IG pic lighting to check overtone.

re: preference, for now one of the two bigger ones. 8-10 is a bit small unless you are petite and love small pearls. Plus there is pearl shrinkage syndrome.

F2C34F30-500E-4588-A719-3C503CE2D045.jpeg

Edit: Am bad at reading pics but I do like the smallest strand luster and color - feels “tight”, dunno why that word pops to mind. But yeah, 8-10mm to me imo is too small. When you are of a certain age (like me) baby pearls don’t quite work unfortunately. Of the other 2, I prefer the middle one… again by feel but maybe as it seems less pastel when I examine both more closely. And a few of the pearls in the middle strand seem to have nice overtones that will “pop” in the right lighting. Curious to know if indeed so if you do ask for more pics.

336A8CCA-A7F0-4D42-94AF-FE8B87D1834F.jpeg

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Will post more photos once I get them!!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
More photos!!! @yssie & @icy_jade

1.Outside in sunlight:
Bigger strand:
8743C2E9-5986-402D-A638-B195FBF7EE04.jpeg

Smaller strand:
9F77AAAC-1F21-4D5B-8C85-B6E54F38DF1D.jpeg

2. Inside in natural light:

Bigger strand:
85685849-27FE-4144-BAC4-9D714781662A.jpeg

Smaller strand:
23CACAC3-61D6-47B1-BE71-548E3BA42120.jpeg

3. Inside in artificial light:

Bigger strand:
DDB6EF38-A31E-4151-9A35-84BD4F0177F7.jpeg

Smaller strand:
CCFA4286-6665-4FF2-8546-F9B7C4EDFA7F.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I’m torn. To me the colors are slightly more intense in the smaller strand. But the bigger strand has more overall color variation (I love love the beautiful dark blue pearls)—partly because there are some lighter pearls mixed in so by contrast it brings out the darker pearls next to it.

The bigger strand is almost 2x price of the smaller. Budget is not a limitation here. But just thought I’d mention it.

In both of the strands above, I don’t see any of the super fancy jewel overtones like in the Instagram photo of other strand though. Again, not sure if it’s because of the light or not.

Re size, here’s me with a 10-12.5 mm strand:
7B22FC23-FEDC-44B5-8777-B6AB973E1B0A.jpeg

And me with a 8 mm strand:
207914C4-4238-4C50-8083-521FD1B6E4C1.jpeg

I’m not sure what size suits me better (white prob appears larger so the Tahitians may look smaller in comparison even if the same size).

Help!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In both of the strands above, I don’t see any of the super fancy jewel overtones like in the Instagram photo of other strand though. Again, not sure if it’s because of the light or not.

It’s the lighting (still). You can see that some of these pearls have strong overtone, it’s just not being highlighted in these photos. Dark purple is strong contrasting overtone, light purple is less strong but still contrasting overtone.
435C0E9C-F1FE-4566-8F03-A501EE7BACD3.jpeg

The smaller strand is nicer. More vivid different body colours, and luster is better matched across all pearls in the strand. But it is smaller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results