shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG chunky cushions - design opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 12:28:56 PM
Author: redrose229
I have an idea that I think would be great...instead of getting H&A melee...why dont you get OEC melee from either Jon or Old world diamonds? I think that would be beautiful!
30.gif

Hey Steph - I think that would be a huge challenge to find matching oec's in those sizes and colours! (plus likely very time consuming and exxy)..
plus, because my design choice has some modern elements, I thought the H&A would be a nice touch yanno... I did consider single cuts and may still..

1.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 6:46:57 AM
Author: arjunajane
[
Thankyou whitby for the details and the photo, I appreciate it. That''s good to know about the diamond. Will you be doing gold or plat?

Do you mind if I ask, seeing as you have already made enquiries about this exact design, what the prices are like compared to JM? You don''t need to tell me your exact quote of course, just approx? (only if you don''t mind)..

I am just on pins and needles waiting to find out if I can afford him or not is all !

40.gif

Thankyou for your help Whitby, I hope you don''t mind we may potentially end up with just the same setting ?

aj -

i would love it if we had the same ring! 2 aussie girls with a ring from a jeweler on the other side of the planet just seems like a cool idea to me!

the stone in the pictured ring is .92ct. the stone i''m going to use is 1.12, so i''m thinking it should look fabbo! i''ll be doing it two tone as pictured - plat bezel, then setting in yellow gold. my stone is a J color, VS1, so i want the yellow gold to pick up the color in the stone.

i didnt get a quote as i decided to take the stone in and was going to do it via appointment (which i haven''t done yet). as for melee, i think he''ll want to provide his own, since he prefers to work with his own gems where possible. this is just a guess, but i suspect it might be so. but the ring, as pictured including center stone is $4445, so that should give you a ball park for once the stone is removed from the overall cost... (i''m guessing around $1700 give or take $300)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 11:13:33 PM

Hey maisie, thanks hon. I did def. consider this, and yep that would bug me too.
I know small melee are usually F-G, but I would specifically request for them to be at least I/J and hopefully they''d agree - I think that would look fine, don''t you?
I know this sounds awful...but I wonder if I could ask them to use ACA melee......
40.gif

I''m sure that would sound terribly rude, but I know those lil side diamonds will have alot to compete with
these cushions, lol! I''m sure they are great, but its a bit too hard to make out in any of calebs pics what the cut of the small diamonds are, yanno?

Oh no..I''m starting to sound like one of those hyper detail control ppl I usually criticize, lol!
6.gif
I wonder if WF sell their melee. Its worth asking but I guess it would have to be the jeweller who buys them and not you. Mind you if you manage to get any you could always decorate your mobile phone with them!
9.gif

When I was working with WF for my split shank they said they don''t use anything lower than F-G on the melee. I had wanted lower colours to go with my J stone. I know that Brian Gavin gives you the choice for sidestones. I chose H-I for my 5 stone band. I''m not so colour sensitive that I would want high colour melee.. but everyone is different.

Whatever you get will be wonderful. I can''t wait to see the finished ring!

And what do you mean hyper detail control? I thought that was allowed if you are a PS''er lol!

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
AJ,

Having seen the recent GOG posts on their OEC and chunky cushions, I totally want one of those beauties.
1.gif

I''ve always enjoyed your pieces and like what you have chosen (the setting). Can''t wait to see the final ring (be it the Legato setting or the new setting you had chose) with a GOG''s chunky cushion in it.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AJ,

No word from CM yet. They are closed on Mondays. I''ll be watching for an email in the morning....I''m SO excited to see your ring come into reality!!!
36.gif

Lori

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hiya AJ,

Sorry Im late to this party but if you are still looking for thoughts, I'd like to add mine: I vote for the one with only 1 side stone please! I think its gonna look FAB!

On the whole subject of being able to provide your own melee or side stones, some jewelers are ok with it, while others are not (based on our experience, most would rather use the ones they have sourced themselves and also readily available).

Good luck!!
18.gif
18.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 11:19:17 PM
Date: 6/14/2009 7:29:10 PM

Author: softly softly

A.J I hope my question didn''t sound rude - apologies if it did. I think your new cushion will be wonderful. There''s just something special about these chunky faceted cushions isn''t there?

As for the ring choices you have posted have to agree with Ellen, the C.M is amazing! Can''t wait to see what you choose. Perhaps we will have to get our chunky cushions together one day when I visit Perth!

No, not at all SS, don''t be silly! Sorry, my answer wasn''t rude was it?

Don''t worry, I knew this question would come up sooner or later (obviously), seeing as I already have an ering, lol..

I''m happy to chat about it, but I just don''t want to say much about the details yet until Jon receives my ring back and all the decisions are made, that''s all

5.gif

I would love to visit with your chunky cushion, it''s certainly one of my faves
1.gif

Thankyou for your vote on the ring choice.

AJ your answer was anything but rude, I just thought after I posted that perhaps I was being a bit nosy!!! I understand your frustration regarding customs and insurance and I hope you are able to come up with a workable solution that doesn''t cost a ridiculous amount of money.

I noticed you asked Ellen about her x prong - is this something you have considered for your stone? Just wondering, as I happen to think chunky cushions look fabulous in xprong settings
31.gif
and that certainly would give you the substantial look you are after.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
AJ, as a proud owner of 1.02ct L cushion, may I just say you have excellent taste!
9.gif

I love your design ideas, this''ll be one gorgeous ring! Fingers crossed that you get exactly the ring you''re hoping for!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arjunajune....forgive this teensy weensy thread jack but I wanted to show you the setting I like most for my cushion. If I have this one made, I''d use marquise diamonds in place of the rounds in the leaves.

culleaf.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the hand. I like the open airiness of it.

cullleaf2.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 1:21:30 PM
Author: whitby_2773
Date: 6/15/2009 6:46:57 AM

[

Thankyou whitby for the details and the photo, I appreciate it. That''s good to know about the diamond. Will you be doing gold or plat?

Do you mind if I ask, seeing as you have already made enquiries about this exact design, what the prices are like compared to JM? You don''t need to tell me your exact quote of course, just approx? (only if you don''t mind)..

I am just on pins and needles waiting to find out if I can afford him or not is all !

40.gif

Thankyou for your help Whitby, I hope you don''t mind we may potentially end up with just the same setting ?

aj -

i would love it if we had the same ring! 2 aussie girls with a ring from a jeweler on the other side of the planet just seems like a cool idea to me!

the stone in the pictured ring is .92ct. the stone i''m going to use is 1.12, so i''m thinking it should look fabbo! i''ll be doing it two tone as pictured - plat bezel, then setting in yellow gold. my stone is a J color, VS1, so i want the yellow gold to pick up the color in the stone.

i didnt get a quote as i decided to take the stone in and was going to do it via appointment (which i haven''t done yet). as for melee, i think he''ll want to provide his own, since he prefers to work with his own gems where possible. this is just a guess, but i suspect it might be so. but the ring, as pictured including center stone is $4445, so that should give you a ball park for once the stone is removed from the overall cost... (i''m guessing around $1700 give or take $300)

Thanks Whitby - geez I''m jealous, I would love to be able to have an in person appt!
Yeah, I find it really cool to think I am likely the only girl in Oz to have a James Meyer ring...or likely a GOG precision cushion too soon !
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2009 1:22:14 PM
Author: Maisie

I wonder if WF sell their melee. Its worth asking but I guess it would have to be the jeweller who buys them and not you. Mind you if you manage to get any you could always decorate your mobile phone with them!
9.gif

When I was working with WF for my split shank they said they don''t use anything lower than F-G on the melee. I had wanted lower colours to go with my J stone. I know that Brian Gavin gives you the choice for sidestones. I chose H-I for my 5 stone band. I''m not so colour sensitive that I would want high colour melee.. but everyone is different.

And what do you mean hyper detail control? I thought that was allowed if you are a PS''er lol!
As far as I know, this has been brought up on PS numerous times and WF does not sell their ACA melees to anyone (consumer or other vendors).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2009 12:27:57 PM
Author: Matata
Arjunajune....forgive this teensy weensy thread jack but I wanted to show you the setting I like most for my cushion. If I have this one made, I''d use marquise diamonds in place of the rounds in the leaves.
Matata,
That is beautiful! An antique touch without going overboard with diamond melees. I''m keeping this one in my setting folder.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,
Are you any closer to any setting decision yet?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 1:22:14 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 6/14/2009 11:13:33 PM

Hey maisie, thanks hon. I did def. consider this, and yep that would bug me too.

I know small melee are usually F-G, but I would specifically request for them to be at least I/J and hopefully they''d agree - I think that would look fine, don''t you?

I know this sounds awful...but I wonder if I could ask them to use ACA melee......
40.gif

I''m sure that would sound terribly rude, but I know those lil side diamonds will have alot to compete with

these cushions, lol! I''m sure they are great, but its a bit too hard to make out in any of calebs pics what the cut of the small diamonds are, yanno?

Oh no..I''m starting to sound like one of those hyper detail control ppl I usually criticize, lol!

6.gif

9.gif

Hey Maisie,
yep I''ve read before that ACA melee are only F/G, which I think wouldn''t be suitable for this stone..
Fortunately, gemgirl let me know that GOG also supply H&A melee in lower colours - so if the designer lets me, that will be the route I go.
1.gif

I am actually thinking that if CM won''t work with outside stones, I will contact BGD for a quote - I''ve been very impressed with the variety of work they''ve produced so far.

Cheers for your input!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 1:59:52 PM
Author: GoodSoul
AJ,

Having seen the recent GOG posts on their OEC and chunky cushions, I totally want one of those beauties.
1.gif

I've always enjoyed your pieces and like what you have chosen (the setting). Can't wait to see the final ring (be it the Legato setting or the new setting you had chose) with a GOG's chunky cushion in it.

Hey goodsoul
35.gif

Thanks for the support - have you considered getting one of the cushions?..I posted about a bargain one that's left on the RT thread
31.gif

Lori, thankyou for the update hon - yeah I noticed that about the mondays thing - just the same as JM
5.gif

I appreciate your updates, lemme know if you do hear and I'll do the same.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 10:23:23 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds
Hiya AJ,

Sorry Im late to this party but if you are still looking for thoughts, I''d like to add mine: I vote for the one with only 1 side stone please! I think its gonna look FAB!

On the whole subject of being able to provide your own melee or side stones, some jewelers are ok with it, while others are not (based on our experience, most would rather use the ones they have sourced themselves and also readily available).

Good luck!!
18.gif
18.gif

Hiya Grace!
Not at all, you know I am always keen for and value your opinion
5.gif

Yeah, I hear ya on the using your own melee thing, and I''ve got a feeling that will be the case with CM.
Don''t get me wrong, their work is of a very high standard which is why I love them, and I''m sure they have great diamonds - but for some reason I really feel the need to get *all the details* right on this one, yanno?
I''m not usually this micro-managey, lol!

That''s why I''m thinking, perhaps like BGD may be more suitable, as they are so accustomed to us PS''ers and our neurosis, lol..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 2:54:24 AM
Date: 6/14/2009 11:19:17 PM

Date: 6/14/2009 7:29:10 PM

AJ your answer was anything but rude, I just thought after I posted that perhaps I was being a bit nosy!!! I understand your frustration regarding customs and insurance and I hope you are able to come up with a workable solution that doesn''t cost a ridiculous amount of money.

I noticed you asked Ellen about her x prong - is this something you have considered for your stone? Just wondering, as I happen to think chunky cushions look fabulous in xprong settings
31.gif
and that certainly would give you the substantial look you are after.

hey SS, no worries at all. Like I mentioned, I knew the question would come up at some point so its all good.
Once it''s all over, I''ll be happy to post a report and how Jon and I figured it all out if anyone''s interested - it has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster I must say, and the ring''s still not left yet, lol!

The X prong is one of my all time faves and I did price it out with my RB...I just think I''d like something a lil different, with just that touch of vintage feel to complement the cushion, kwim?
I''m not sure how Vatche rings are made, but I have to say after getting my JM I am 100% a hand made convert - I don''t think I could buy cast again for significant pieces, as snobby as that sounds, ha!
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 9:57:08 AM
Author: AdiS
AJ, as a proud owner of 1.02ct L cushion, may I just say you have excellent taste!
9.gif

I love your design ideas, this''ll be one gorgeous ring! Fingers crossed that you get exactly the ring you''re hoping for!

Hiya Adis - looks like I will be in great company than!
36.gif

Thankyou for the well wishes you''re always such a doll
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 12:27:57 PM
Author: Matata

Not at all mat, jack away !
I like the openness of this one too, it looks nice on the hand - although I''m always hesitant when I see an FC setting in general (due to their rep), this one is pretty.
I agree the rounds would look better replaced with marquise..
Did you see that vintage thread link in the other thread - anything you like there?

Who do you think you would ask to make your ring for you? (sorry, have I already asked you that?
33.gif
)..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 12:46:15 PM
Author: Chrono
AJ,

Are you any closer to any setting decision yet?

Hey there C...not really. It''s just gonna depend on alot of factors, like whether my Legato can be remodelled or no,
what CM''s prices and preferences are like (with the outside stones and all), and I''ll take it from there..

Although, I must admit I am thinking maybe I should just make the Legato work and wait until I can afford something really special, like an SS or VC piece...
this is going to be "it" for me for the foreseeable future, which is why I guess I''m feeling like I want to get it just right..
1.gif

What is your temp setting like (ie. style, metal) - is it new or something you already owned..?
Oh wait..are you one of these posters who hardly ever does photo shoots?! You *must* when your cushion arrives, pretty please!
36.gif
\

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2009 1:11:39 PM

Hey there C...not really. It''s just gonna depend on alot of factors, like whether my Legato can be remodelled or no,
what CM''s prices and preferences are like (with the outside stones and all), and I''ll take it from there..

Although, I must admit I am thinking maybe I should just make the Legato work and wait until I can afford something really special, like an SS or VC piece...
this is going to be ''it'' for me for the foreseeable future, which is why I guess I''m feeling like I want to get it just right..
1.gif

What is your temp setting like (ie. style, metal) - is it new or something you already owned..?
Oh wait..are you one of these posters who hardly ever does photo shoots?! You *must* when your cushion arrives, pretty please!
36.gif
My temporary is really a temporary setting ¡V a basic 4 prong white gold setting. My existing setting is too small for it because I¡¦m moving from a 6 mm to 7 mm stone. The setting was originally for a 5.5 mm stone. Umm¡K.I think my reputation for camera aversion precedes me. ƒº I¡¦m making Jon take a few pictures before he overnights the ring and stone to me, so I should have something to show right away.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 12:48:53 PM

AJ,

1.gif

I''ve always enjoyed your pieces and like what you have chosen (the setting). Can''t wait to see the final ring (be it the Legato setting or the new setting you had chose) with a GOG''s chunky cushion in it.

Hey goodsoul
35.gif

Thanks for the support - have you considered getting one of the cushions?..I posted about a bargain one that''s left on the RT thread

31.gif

Where is the post??? I''m on a spending freeze till the wedding is over
38.gif
.... Project list is stacking up every time I click on the SMTR, Colored Stones, Jewelry threads... In the mean time, I''ll enjoy all the wonderful pieces found here.

SS and VC sounds great if this is going to be your permanent piece (at least for a while). Just thought that since you already have a JM piece which has a similar feel to the CM piece, you may want to consider something else. This
12.gif
side of me would say "take your time as it''s an important piece"... and this side
11.gif
would say "decide fast so that I can see the beautiful piece"!!

5.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ, I contacted BGD about my future ring too! Granted, the ring''s not something I''m doing right *now*, but I''d like to have an inkling of what my prospects are if CM won''t do it. I''ve not heard back from Lesley yet, but am looking forward to her reply. I''m actually thinking of going w/them regardless..someone else in CS, when I mentioned my concern about CM using an outside stone, said they''d used her stone for a necklace, and they were ok doing it for Whitby..so I dunno if it''s something that, like was mentioned in my thread, if they make an exception for heirloom/sentimental pieces, or what. Looking forward to finding out what you hear from them!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AJ,

GREAT NEWS.....I heard back from CM and they DO accept outside diamonds for setting!!! YIPPEE!!!
36.gif

Here''s their reply:

We do resets with
customers'' diamonds. Stephanie

Lori

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 7:27:29 PM
Author: loriken214
AJ,

GREAT NEWS.....I heard back from CM and they DO accept outside diamonds for setting!!! YIPPEE!!!
36.gif

Here''s their reply:

We do resets with

customers'' diamonds. Stephanie

Lori

That is really good news, thankyou Lori..if you don''t mind me asking, did you obtain any kind of indication on pricing? I am still waiting to hear back about my quote request..

I have good news too! GOG are sending me out a Fedex label sometime today/tomorrow, so this process will finally be on its way *YAY*...
36.gif

It''s been such a mission, I originally contacted Jon about trading back my ring at the beginning of April...(no fault of GOG, just trying to work out all the shipping and other details etc)..
40.gif

I''m very excited and relieved it is finally happening
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 1:44:51 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 6/16/2009 1:11:39 PM

this is going to be ''it'' for me for the foreseeable future, which is why I guess I''m feeling like I want to get it just right..
1.gif

36.gif

My temporary is really a temporary setting ¡V a basic 4 prong white gold setting. My existing setting is too small for it because I¡¦m moving from a 6 mm to 7 mm stone. The setting was originally for a 5.5 mm stone. Umm¡K.I think my reputation for camera aversion precedes me. ƒº I¡¦m making Jon take a few pictures before he overnights the ring and stone to me, so I should have something to show right away.

Ha ha, I''m glad Jon will take some photos for you - I''ll really look forward to checking them out, cheers C!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 2:56:22 PM
Date: 6/16/2009 12:48:53 PM

AJ,

1.gif

Hey goodsoul
35.gif

Thanks for the support - have you considered getting one of the cushions?..I posted about a bargain one that''s left on the RT thread

31.gif

Where is the post??? I''m on a spending freeze till the wedding is over
38.gif
.... Project list is stacking up every time I click on the SMTR, Colored Stones, Jewelry threads... In the mean time, I''ll enjoy all the wonderful pieces found here.

SS and VC sounds great if this is going to be your permanent piece (at least for a while). Just thought that since you already have a JM piece which has a similar feel to the CM piece, you may want to consider something else. This
12.gif
side of me would say ''take your time as it''s an important piece''... and this side
11.gif
would say ''decide fast so that I can see the beautiful piece''!!

5.gif

Hey Goodsoul...mua ha ha ha ha....*threads fingers together conspiratorially*
9.gif

It''s in the RT thread Redrose started about folks buying cushions, but I''ll post it here too because I think its too good to be left on the shelf!
It''s a 1.21 L VS1, awesome square shape, and only 4k on wire...
30.gif
I have to admit I''ve been very tempted by it, but its simply out of my pricerange.. link

Yes, tell me about it about the project list! I can''t believe that, even though I''m supposed to be on a strict budget, I have three projects going currently
6.gif
(admittedly two are cheaper etsy ones, thank gawd!)..

TBH, that''s why I actually went with this more sleek, sort of more modern design from CM, as compared to my JM - I realize they have similiar elements/feel like the two tone, but I think they''re a sufficiently different look to create a nice set, so you agree?

Ha,sounds like your two sides echo mine pretty exactly matey, lol!

CM.JM comparison.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and here''s some eyecandy of that yummy 1.2ct
30.gif

1.21 L vs1  GOG...jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 9:48:55 AM
and here''s some eyecandy of that yummy 1.2ct
30.gif

hrmm..sorry about that, lets try again..

1.21 L VS1 gog cushion.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results