shape
carat
color
clarity

Expectations too high?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ed, I hope this particular transaction pays you back tenfold in more business. You certainly deserve it, you did a very honourable thing for Stepcutgirl. Good idea to clarify and publish your policy on layaways too.

Stepcutgirl, I hope one day you find the stone of your dreams. It''s not always obvious on a somewhat anonymous forum from the beautiful gems that people have here, but many of us have waited years and years to be in a position to obtain them. Yes, we have nice gems, but we have lots of wrinkles to go with them!

Check out the story of LostSapphire''s ERing upgrade. She shows her first sapphire which she freely admits was dark navy but she also says that it was given with a lot of love and thats what counts.

My ER stone has a window the size of a patio door in it. I still love it as much (probably more) today than I did when it was purchased nearly 20 years ago. All I knew about windows back then was to avoid double glazing salesmen in the UK like the plague! You are now informed and therefore will likely spot windows in stones from now on. So you might have to make a choice on priorities between cut, colour, size, treated vs un-treated etc.

In order to get colour, cut and a sapphire in your budget, maybe consider contacting one of the precision cutters that you will see mentioned in this forum such as Peter Torraca, Lisa Elser, Michael E, Gene Flanigan etc., and ask them about the possibility of a lab created sapphire (it''s still a sapphire, albeit one created in a lot less time than it takes to make a naturally occuring one).

Whichever route you decide on, I wish you a lot of luck for your future.

BTW, I''m a Libran and have never had a sapphire.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 11:23:14 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Thanks for all your comments. Originally I was not considering a spinel. I'm not sure why. I'm a September baby and all my jewelry since I was a little girl has always been sapphires and I really do love them. I would consider a spinel now if it came in a sapphire blue color. Does that exist? How hard are they?

This spinel looks lovely (scroll down toward the bottom), but it's much bigger than the one you originally bought. From Planetary Gems, 2.35 ct, 8.7mm round. $635, so under budget!

Description from website:

It does not get any better than this. A Magnificent, Ceylon blue spinel. Weighting 2.35 ct., deep "cobalt" blue color, perfectly executed, round, modified, diamond cut, measuring 8.7mm in diameter x4.68mm deep, flawless gem, IF-VVS type1 from Sri Lanka. We saw many spinels during our recent Sri Lankan trip, but or too graysh or too greenish or too dark or badly cut, finding the right gem was not easy. This is the finest bluer spinel money can buy anywhere in a 2 ct. size. Simply perfect color, top FLAWLESS clarity, and the ultimate round shape with great spread and cutting proportions. Only one....and no reserve! Spinel is never treated, it is found in nature as it is (cut applied).

planetaryspinelscg1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
at that price and at over 2 carats the spinel is going to be very Very VERY dark with only flashes of bright blue color.

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve always wondered about Planetary gems because their pictures and prices just don’t jive; quite like a case of too good to be true.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
The color of blue spinel I might be interested in is the color of the emerald shaped one Chrono posted! That is beautiful!

I''ve seen LostSapphires thread before and I love her story. I also would accept anything in the world he gave me, even a cracker jack box ring and love it. The problem I have is since frequenting this board I know a LITTLE. And a little is dangerous! I don''t know enough to get it right but I know enough to spot the bad stuff! I would love anything he gave me but he''s letting me pick. So therefor I''d like to have something I really like.
36.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 4:23:50 PM
Author: Chrono
I’ve always wondered about Planetary gems because their pictures and prices just don’t jive; quite like a case of too good to be true.
I''ve been tempted soooooooooooo many times but ............ wish there were more reviews and pictures on here!

E B

Ideal_Rock

Oops! I won't suggest stones from them anymore. I'm not sure what certain gems at certain weights should cost, so I didn't see any red flags with the spinel. The price seems in line (higher, even) with what Dan Stair asks for spinels, so I assumed it was a decent pick.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 5:08:44 PM
Author: EBree

Oops! I won''t suggest stones from them anymore. I''m not sure what certain gems at certain weights should cost, so I didn''t see any red flags with the spinel. The price seems in line (higher, even) with what Dan Stair asks for spinels, so I assumed it was a decent pick.
This thread recently had a couple of people vouching for Planetary Gems. Even though PSers don''t have as much experience with this vendor as with others, I don''t think we should necessarily avoid linking to stones that might suit someone''s needs unless it turns out that their product is really not as advertised. Until that happens, I think it''s unfair to penalize them simply because not enough PSers have used them.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my statement was not based on the vendor....rather on my experience in seeing many unset spinels for sale live and in person.

if the return policy is good, then have a look-see.

mz

ps has the OP considered getting an engagement band to meet her time frames thus allowing more time to save $ and afford a better stone for an e-ring?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
MZ, my statement wasn''t about your comment that the stone will likely appear dark in real life (a very helpful observation for those of us who aren''t as expert in gems as we would like to be). It was more in reference to Ebree''s statement of no longer linking to Planetary Gems'' stones as not many PSers were familiar with the quality of their product.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey EBree, I think that''s the same spinel that we had looked at so long ago for my ering! Just looks to be a different picture!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I was browsing Dutton''s Diamonds again and came across this sapphire. When their 20% sale is taken into account, the stone is $1062. And though I don''t see it mentioned on the gem pages, on their diamond pages they give a 5% discount for paying via bank wires. If they do that with gems then it would drop your price down to $1009. But if you''ve decided to hold off on a ring for now, then never mind this.

Duttonsapph.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes we are going to hold off for now, not for long though. Just around 3 months while we pay off my car stuff and can save a few bucks. I may consider spinel now that I have seen the color blue it can have, though I think I still would prefer a sapphire. What confuses me so much is the different pricing of sapphires.I understand the heat treated thing lowering the cost but you can compare apples to apples at different places and get insanely different prices!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 11:09:51 PM
What confuses me so much is the different pricing of sapphires.I understand the heat treated thing lowering the cost but you can compare apples to apples at different places and get insanely different prices!
I know! It would be nice if all the PS vendors got together and had a gem expo and that way we could actually compare the stones side-by-side (relatively) to really understand the difference between these stones. Unfortunately, however, I don''t think it''s likely. But there''s an AKS gem show coming to a town near me this weekend. My weekend is already pretty darn hectic but I might try and drop in. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be the level of stones that are paraded through these PS threads.

But good luck to you and your future fiance; I''m sure everything will turn out well in the end.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 11:09:51 PM
Yes we are going to hold off for now, not for long though. Just around 3 months while we pay off my car stuff and can save a few bucks. I may consider spinel now that I have seen the color blue it can have, though I think I still would prefer a sapphire. What confuses me so much is the different pricing of sapphires.I understand the heat treated thing lowering the cost but you can compare apples to apples at different places and get insanely different prices!
Pricing for sapphires vary not just for quality but some places do have a higher markup than others. NSC is a good example. The other thing is the ability of the eye to pick out the slight differences in hue, saturation and tone as these are the primary reason for the price difference. If you can’t see the difference, then your pocketbook will thank you for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 8:17:39 PM
Author: AustenNut

Oops! I won''t suggest stones from them anymore. I''m not sure what certain gems at certain weights should cost, so I didn''t see any red flags with the spinel. The price seems in line (higher, even) with what Dan Stair asks for spinels, so I assumed it was a decent pick.
This thread recently had a couple of people vouching for Planetary Gems. Even though PSers don''t have as much experience with this vendor as with others, I don''t think we should necessarily avoid linking to stones that might suit someone''s needs unless it turns out that their product is really not as advertised. Until that happens, I think it''s unfair to penalize them simply because not enough PSers have used them.
For me, I never recommend a particular stone unless I am confident that it will be a good one. I''d hate to recommend a stone that turns out to be a dog, is not as represented, overpriced, etc. It is not that I penalize them, but rather I''m playing it safe. Why take unneccesary risks? Remember, even with trusted vendors, we trust but verify. What more with a vendor that we don''t have much experience with?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 8:16:50 AM

For me, I never recommend a particular stone unless I am confident that it will be a good one. I''d hate to recommend a stone that turns out to be a dog, is not as represented, overpriced, etc. It is not that I penalize them, but rather I''m playing it safe. Why take unneccesary risks? Remember, even with trusted vendors, we trust but verify. What more with a vendor that we don''t have much experience with?
Ditto

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished reading all the posts. My initial impression was, here is a stone that is inferior to the one in photograph, and the vendor does not want to negotiate and return the money. Now it appears that the main reason you want to return the sapphire is financial. Please understand me right, I totally sympathize with you, god forbids any of us to be in your shoes, and I wish you to find a job as soon as possible. But it seems to me that Ed whom I don''t know at all has been quite nice. Imagine buying a gem in a store and trying to return it a day after the inspection time! Talking with salespeople! Also, in retail for $ 950 you can buy a nice unheated sapphire, but not the best one. (And most of untreated stones have imperfections). Ed, I am in a totally different field but in a way, I were in your shoes, and then some. I just wish you not to run into these situations again.

And your photographs are excellent! I have seen them at different websites.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 8:16:50 AM

At what point does a vendor become trusted? How many stones do we have to buy personally, or do other PSers need to buy? (I''m not trying to be smart-alecky, I''m honestly trying to figure this out.)

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, perhaps the line is between ''pointing to'' (as in ''look at this one'') and ''recommending'' (as in ''this is good'')

The first is fine for everybody, the latter demands much know-how and then some.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 1:50:44 PM
Author: Edward Bristol
Yes, perhaps the line is between ''pointing to'' (as in ''look at this one'') and ''recommending'' (as in ''this is good'')

The first is fine for everybody, the latter demands much know-how and then some.
Ed - "this is good" can also be a personal opinion NOT a recommendation. I would never say to anybody "buy this" which to me is a recommendation.

I''ve never recommended a particular gemstone to anybody and suggested that they buy. I may say "have you seen X, Y or Z". At the end of the day if somebody has been collecting for many years they''ve got experience at looking at pictures and making a judgement i.e. if something is windowed etc etc that maybe somebody who is newer to collecting may not spot. That''s the beauty of this forum - lots of eyes looking at the same thing and having different opinions.

Let''s be honest, it would be difficult to recommend a certain Vendor for ALL their stones. Some have a higher majority of well cut, well saturated, reasonably priced gemstones than others but that doesn''t mean they''ll have the "one"!

I will however recommend a vendor for their customer service!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
So are we saying that "Have you seen this" is kosher as a form of pointing a stone out, but "this looks lovely" or "this looks like it could be a good one" etc would then be a recommendation, which is reserved for vendors who we feel have been vetted and approved?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Austen,
I do not control what anyone else wishes to say; everyone is free to voice whatever they wish, or recommend, or point out. I am only noting what I personally would and would not do. As with the original recommendation/pointing out, I am only sharing my thoughts about why the spinel is incredibly low priced for what looks to be very nice colour; the bargain price raises a red flag in my book. Perhaps I am being overly cautious but I think it’s better to at least bring up something to think about. I am not in any way putting down Planetary Gems, merely questioning their quality versus price point. There is usually a good reason why a particular is priced lower than what one expects. No vendor wants to sell at a loss and no vendor is going give a bargain without a good reason.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can only say from my brief emails that Planetary Gems seems to be customer oriented which is so far a good thing.
I''m currently inquiring about a stone (will not tell which, because well...you know...)

Also too, some of their stones are 3rd party certified. They''re just coming back from a buying trip in Asia so emails could take a day or so. For what its worth, I spoke with Rudy about the stone I''m interested in.

If there''s an interest in their gems its worth an email or a telephone call to get a vibe for who they are. I didn''t find anything weird or odd about their emails, unlike one company thats on the vendor list.

No matter where we choose to buy we should always verify that the stones are as stated which is the reason why some of us will typically ask for additional pictures, and if the stone is certed and by whom. Some people don''t vibe with certain sellers, whether they are the "trusted list" or not. We''ve seen that played out all over this board.

Also before getting our hearts involved with a stone, or ring, or whatever it is (of which I have also been guilty of myself), we should all engage our heads first.

As a community we all add our own tidbits to what we know or don''t know about a seller because of our own personal buying experiences, which does help, but its up to the buyer ultimately to decide with whom or where they plan to buy.

So I think its ok to tell someone, "Hey this is in the color range you''re looking for, you may want to check them out" but the ultimate go ahead is with the purchaser whom the legwork should fall back upon.

Purchasers should always verify the stone, verify for themselves that the seller is someone they can work with and trust, ask the seller for additional pictures and any other needed information prior to making the purchase, if they choose to, ask for feedback from the community, and verify again (and again) the seller''s policy so that they can be sure exactly what they are prior to the sale.

The reason why we''re even here is because we don''t want to be complacent about buying stones and parting with a wad of money. We''re here to get the best we can get, right?

So I don''t disagree with what anyone is saying on either side, because there''s truth to all of it.

However, I personally hate to see anyone get an undeserved bad rap. But if these guys are terrible and have bad stones that are not properly identified, then I wish those who have already purchased from them would speak up.

At any rate, y''all know you do not have to take what I say for the gospel, I''m just adding my 5 cents to the conversation. (Inflation, you know??)

-A

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not trying to criticize what anyone is doing here. I think it''s great that there are so many knowledgeable people here who can point out good and bad points of a picture, particularly for those with less experience buying gems. I guess I''m trying to figure out what the community standards are here for pointing out a stone from a vendor. If the expectation is that it should be limited to only PS-approved vendors (sticky list) and vendors that we have bought from personally, or if there''s a wider scope. And if we say there is a wider scope, how wide is it allowed to be (i.e. what, if any, standards should be applied when linking)?

I agree that final responsibility lies with the buyer and that any and all info provided here on PS is just advice. I know though that some posters are more particular about posting vendor info or linking to a vendor''s work and want to make sure that I don''t violate any community norms in relation to this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Austen,
There are no community standards nor should there ever be one. It should not be limited to any PS “approved” vendors either; I’m actually all for getting more reviews about other vendors.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 1:10:47 PM
Austen,
There are no community standards nor should there ever be one. It should not be limited to any PS “approved” vendors either; I’m actually all for getting more reviews about other vendors.
Ditto.

I will go one step further. I won''t ever recommend a stone to anybody. I will say what I think about the gemstone but it''s a personal opinion only. The poster can make up their own mind and decision based on what everybody says. I''m happy to give my opinion, if it''s asked for, about a stone from any vendor. There are no codes/subtle phrases for "buy this" or "don''t buy this" - and there shouldn''t be!!!

What is excellent about this forum is that posters will critique a gemstone irrespective of where it''s from. They will give honest opinions whether it''s from a sticky vendor or not.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Edward did refund me the entire amount that I had paid to him and gave me options to pick from to resolve this. I chose the refund and he came through. Thank you for making the refund go smoothly Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results