shape
carat
color
clarity

Expectations too high?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 6:29:48 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
I was making payments on an almost 4k stone when I decided we would never be able to afford that in the time line I''d like to have a ring. Because I made the 945 payment close to or possibly more than 6 months ago he doesn''t want to return the money. I made a decision to try to find something I liked for the amount we had already paid.

How can you tell the Palin stone is windowed?

I have sent Ed an email so I will see what happens after that.
There is something wrong with this transaction. Are you suggesting that the dealer would have been happy to issue a refund if he had received your payment last week? But because he had the use of your money for 6 months this is somehow worse for him and you''re not entitled to a refund? This doesn''t sound right to me.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your disappointment and I hope it''s all resolved to your satisfaction.
To get a more realistic idea of the size of a stone I shrink the vendor''s pic on my computer to be as close as possible in size to the actual mm size of the stone.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Many people buy products online these days -- computers, mobile phones, books, clothes, shoes, even cars. Do many people have the experience of buying, say, a computer online on the basis of photographs and specifications and then being totally surprised when the actual computer is waay bigger than the 3 inch by 3 inch photo?

Do people really expect photos of products to be life size? Why should gemstones be any different?

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hallo Everybody,

I am truly sorry Stepcutgirl doesn''t like the gem. Since it is her first, I fully understand.

Though the gem is nice, it has imperfections. These are however reflected in the price: A round certified untreated clean blue sapphire in 1.5 carat for under $900, that can''t be perfect. So, yes, expectations were too high.

I am now considering to draw up some officially rules for broken installment plans, but here is what I wrote those days when Stepcutsgirls installment fell off the cliff after 6 months:

"Sorry to hear you are in tight spot. Many are, so don''t feel lonely.

I can either wait until next year, or have you thought of getting something else within the payment you have already made?

Then, at least we both have some outcome. I have been holding this (4k) stone for over half a year if I remember correctly. I have some beautiful gems under 1k and if your situation changes sometimes you can still swap it in for the sapphire."

I am sure this was as flexible as you may expect from somebody running a business.

Stepcutgirl: you may either get a cash refund, or chose something else. We will work it out in private emails

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gone on you Ed for making the situation easier for Step.

SCG, fwiw I would take the refund and start looking again. Simply because you are not happy with this stone, plus it doesn''t appear Ed has a stone to meet your desires at the moment.
Also, if this is for your engagement ring I would strongly recommend holding out a lil longer and finding a sapphire that you are truly in love with.
Somebody earlier mentioned my new Jeff White sapphire, which was for an anniversary ring - it is a brilliant sparkling bright blue and holds its colour in *all* lighting - infact, I am wearing it now whilst typing after dusk with no lights on in the home, and it is still returning rich blue colour. I would be more than proud to wear this as an engagement stone.
I just thought I would let you know that awesome gems are available, and for reasonable prices - unless you have a significant reason not to, I would also consider heated sapphs. Perhaps you should cast the net wider and consider a native stone recut from the start, as it appears you would be happier with tighter cutting?

Either way, good luck with your decision.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am very happy this is getting worked out!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Good luck SCG, and may the new year proved to be a better year for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool for Ed to do that!! I''m glad this is working itself out!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ed,
You have offered a generous way out for SCN and I thank you for that. Yes, it is best for this to now be handled privately between you two.

SCN,
Please accept Ed’s offer of a refund. Start fresh and unconstrained by vendor selection. Ed is correct that something has to give for your budget; I highly suggest a smaller stone or go with a heated stone.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 8:07:22 AM
Author: Chrono

Ed,
You have offered a generous way out for SCN and I thank you for that. Yes, it is best for this to now be handled privately between you two.

SCN,
Please accept Ed’s offer of a refund. Start fresh and unconstrained by vendor selection. Ed is correct that something has to give for your budget; I highly suggest a smaller stone or go with a heated stone.
plus one.

mz

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 11:11:12 AM
Author: movie zombie
Date: 12/9/2009 8:07:22 AM
Author: Chrono
Ed,

SCN,
plus one.

mz
Plus 2!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very kind of you Ed! Another plus one to Chrono.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''m so glad that this is being worked out. I think it''s great that Ed is being so flexible since he did hold the 1st stone for over 6 months. And I think we all want Stepcutgirl to be "in love" with her ering.

Stepcutgirl -- I''m so sorry to hear about you being layed off and having car problems! Tough times. Hope things turn around quickly for you.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am really happy with the outcome of this. My boyfriend and I talked today and I am going to take the refund. I need to pay for the car issue and I think we are going to either put off the engagement or get engaged with out a ring and get one later. We are hopeful that with in six months some things should change and we will be able to afford a sapphire for my ring. He told me he isn''t worried, that it will happen. You guys are so helpful and it is just so nice.

I really want to than Ed as well. I know I caused him some headache and he is really going above my expectations. I will be back to him in the future.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ed - what a lovely thing to do. You are a true gentleman. I''m a great believer in that if you treat people right (sometimes are your own cost) you will be rewarded somehow.

SCG - I''m glad you have a resolution and think Ed deserves a lovely bottle of fine wine!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear this is being resolved, and so sorry to hear about the job and car problems. Honestly, you don''t need a ring to get engaged, and many a bride has gotten married with only the simpliest of wedding bands. It sounds like you have found a wonderful guy. Best wishes as you move forward in your lives together.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ed, that is a very kind and generous gesture.
1.gif

Good luck SCG. By the way, have you considered a spinel at all, or does it have to be a sapphire?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great outcome, good on you Ed!

SCG I say get engaged without a ring. Why should your happiness need to wait for your finances?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am glad this situation has worked itself out.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your comments. Originally I was not considering a spinel. I''m not sure why. I''m a September baby and all my jewelry since I was a little girl has always been sapphires and I really do love them. I would consider a spinel now if it came in a sapphire blue color. Does that exist? How hard are they?

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2009 11:23:14 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Originally I was not considering a spinel. I''m not sure why. I''m a September baby and all my jewelry since I was a little girl has always been sapphires and I really do love them. I would consider a spinel now if it came in a sapphire blue color. Does that exist? How hard are they?

Cobalt Spinel can be a gorgeous blue, and is generally cheaper per carat than sapphire of the same size, colour and clarity.

This is from Madagascar. 6.81mm.

Spin-G-Tril-0785_1thumb.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 11:31:40 PM
Author: lelser

Date: 12/9/2009 11:23:14 PM

Cobalt Spinel can be a gorgeous blue, and is generally cheaper per carat than sapphire of the same size, colour and clarity.

This is from Madagascar. 6.81mm.
Not all cobalt spinel, but some, can be a fine blue. Also beware of dealers calling spinel "Cobalt blue" spinel, which doesn''t necessarily mean it''s colored by cobalt (giving it the richer blue color). I always look for "Cobalt spinel" without the word "blue" in between those two words.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Forgot - they are Mohs hardness 8, so not as hard as sapphire, but harder than garnet.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like the color of the pictured spinel at all.
14.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Stepcutgirl, what is the ideal color blue that you would like to have? Then people can chime in as to whether or not that''s likely in spinel or not, as they do have a variety of blues available.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue spinels do come in sapphire blue and these tend to be the cobalt spinels. However, again, not all cobalt spinels are created equal. Many are also very dark in tone; a medium toned sapphire blue cobalt is going to be very difficult to find and also expensive. Yes, like TL advised, some vendors call their blue spinels cobalt blue, not because it contains cobalt, but because it has a colour almost like a cobalt bearing blue spinel.

Please bear with me as I post pictures of various cobalt blue spinels. Note that these are the finest examples and very rare and expensive. I will also post 2 that I own.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure if this spinel is cobalt bearing but is a good example of a fine blue spinel.

BlueSpinelref.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a true cobalt bearing blue spinel. Note the sapphire like blue and lack of gray undertone.

U14518cobalt.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my own cobalt bearing spinel that is certified by AGL as such. It’s a 2 ct oval. Sorry for the blurry picture. The stone is definitely on the medium dark side but has this amazing velvety blue colour that is almost free of gray undertones.

AGL2ctcobalt.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 1.5 ct oval cobalt bearing blue spinel that I purchased from Swala earlier this year. Again, it is a very velvety pure and warm blue colour, almost devoid of any gray undertones.

15swalacobalt.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results