shape
carat
color
clarity

Expectations too high?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are too many things that YOU think are wrong with this stone. So please call Ed and ask him to go through all his stones looking for what you really really want.

Good Luck!!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How about a picture from the side ? You can press it halfway into a piece of styrofoam to hold it and take the shot that way. Often these stones are cut with enough of a belly that you can just do some judicious trimming and remove the window. The color is not as saturated as the picture and a re-cut would make it brighter and so make the color seem a bit less. The added sparkle and performance in low light levels would make this look very nice as an evening ring. Take a look at it under incandescent lights in a darker environment and then see what you think of it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto everyone else.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What about this?

GRADING REPORT ROSA159

- Identification: Blue Sapphire

- Carat: 1.59

- Shape: Oval/Round

- Measures: 6.36x7.06x3.91

- Color Grade: Very Good

- Tone: Medium Dark 75

- Color Zoning: Faint light area in outer edge

- Clarity: Lightly Included

- Cutting Grade: Very Good

o Brilliancy: 50%

o Depth: 62%

- Origin: Pailin, Cambodia

- Treatment: None

palinsapphire918.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Link to FAQ on Wildfish

How long can I return a stone or jewelry?
Our inspection period is seven days after delivery to you. In this period you are free to return for a full refund without discussion. After seven days we consider the deal to be closed. However, if you feel something isn''t right, we will consider any reclamation to keep you as our customer.

What happens if I don''t want a stone after inspecting it?
Contact us to arrange the return. You will have to pay for the return transport costs but there are no relisting fees.

So that sounds positive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also windowed. I can see it clearly as a medium sized window. If his first picture isn't accurate, how will you know that this one will be accurate too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2009 4:15:50 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Link to FAQ on Wildfish

Our inspection period is seven days after delivery to you. In this period you are free to return for a full refund without discussion. After seven days we consider the deal to be closed. However, if you feel something isn''t right, we will consider any reclamation to keep you as our customer.

Contact us to arrange the return. You will have to pay for the return transport costs but there are no relisting fees.

So that sounds positive.
Hey Freke,
I was about to post the same thing. I checked out Ed''s return policy and think SCN should contact him ASAP for a full refund.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry this one isn''t making your heart flutter SCG! If you''re in the 7 days, return it and see if he has anything else you might want to look at or try contacting one of the other vendors if he doesn''t.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 4:19:49 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 12/8/2009 4:15:50 PM

Link to FAQ on Wildfish

So that sounds positive.

Hey Freke,

I was about to post the same thing. I checked out Ed''s return policy and think SCN should contact him ASAP for a full refund.

It sounds from SCG''s first post that even though he does returns, she can''t here for some reason and doesn''t want to talk about it (which is fine). But if a trade is an option, then it could work out ok, but maybe ask for other pics than what is online?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I realize that, but then she posted this:
Date: 12/8/2009 3:44:32 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Anybody feel like scouring Ed''s site for me? I''ve looked. I''m about to cry. I''m looking for something that when you take 25% off it it is around 1000. I''m considering star sapphires too. I really want blue but violet appeals to me as well.
So I''m hoping that Ed will work with her in one way or another.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 4:51:47 PM
I realize that, but then she posted this:

Date: 12/8/2009 3:44:32 PM

Anybody feel like scouring Ed''s site for me? I''ve looked. I''m about to cry. I''m looking for something that when you take 25% off it it is around 1000. I''m considering star sapphires too. I really want blue but violet appeals to me as well.

So I''m hoping that Ed will work with her in one way or another.

Ah, gotcha, Freke. I figured that was about a trade.

Well, either way, it would be good to talk to him and see what else he has got, and explain exactly what you want.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was making payments on an almost 4k stone when I decided we would never be able to afford that in the time line I''d like to have a ring. Because I made the 945 payment close to or possibly more than 6 months ago he doesn''t want to return the money. I made a decision to try to find something I liked for the amount we had already paid.

How can you tell the Palin stone is windowed?

I have sent Ed an email so I will see what happens after that.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10038

REALLY Sorry to hear about this- I do quite like the stone you have (esp if the window would go away w setting or recut), but it is your engagement ring, and you should be happy with it. I had a quick look. Would the color metal you set it in darken it? I have no idea about this, but if you bezeled it in yellow gold, would this help to darken the color?
OR what do you think about this one? You said you d consider a star? It appeals to me, but I have strange tastes!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had the stone all day and it''s not that I don''t like it, it''s that I don''t LOVE it. I have actually come to like the blue color but it shifts to a purple in artificial light, which is what I am in 90% of the time and i''m not crazy about that. If I could make myself see stones besides blue he has several star sapphires I really like.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I do not like that the fact that you paid a while ago means that your ten day inspection period is basically void. Did he make this clear to you before you ordered it?
38.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was told that he could not refund my money because of the amount of time that had passed was too great. He said he would either continue to hold the 4k stone for me or i could pick something for the amount i had already paid.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Have you given any thought to doing a spinel? This would get you much greater size than in the sapphire, and at a more affordable price. Do any of these strike your interest?

ETA: Is anyone else using Mozilla having problems accessing Wildfish's website? I normally have no problems, but today whenever I go their site (via a link, a bookmark, or typing in the name) it automatically shuts down my browser. But it was working just fine in IE.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sad to hear you don''t love your sapphire. your ering is something you should get enjoyment out of.

Please talk to Ed about the reasons why you''re unhappy with the stone. If he allows a return, then do so. thats a lot of money to put on a stone you won''t even enjoy. Judging by the pictures I''ve seen, the color is very different. My sapphire shifts colors but I love it (it wasn''t that blue to begin with)

Have you looked elsewhere? I certainly would encourage it as you may find what you''re looking for somewhere else.

If you don''t have your heart set on a round, I would suggest diamondexpert.com They''re having 20% off, plus, there''s a couple of stones over there with some very nice color, though they''re not rounds.

Gary is also amazing to work with. He might be able to source your stone for you.

-A

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, I agree if you are not happy with the stone send it back. You will have to look at your e-ring several times a day. You should love it.

I am not sure why Ed will not refund your money...it sounds like he might not have it anymore.

If you cannot get a refund from him, I would ask him to find you a stone that fits your tastes and budget. Realize that sapphire that is a vivid blue/purple is going to bring up the price, so you will end up with a smaller stone. Also, before you have anymore stones shipped, ask for a photograph of the table straight on. I think his pictures are hiding the windows.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a spinel, but it looks interesting. I know it''s pretty big, and a little funky with the color, but I think it looks better (cut wise) than what you have...

Link

I''m guessing you want something that is lower in budget and brighter blue, but I thought I''d throw it out there anyway!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 7:07:52 PM
Author: szh07
I do not like that the fact that you paid a while ago means that your ten day inspection period is basically void. Did he make this clear to you before you ordered it?
38.gif

I''m with Szh on this. And if I were a vendor, I''d want my customer to be 100% happy with the stone I sold her - especially when it''s that much money and it''s for an engagement ring. You seem kind of distraught (and I don''t blame you) about this and you shouldn''t be feeling that way about your e-ring stone, you know?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 7:38:13 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
38.gif
I''m with Szh on this. And if I were a vendor, I''d want my customer to be 100% happy with the stone I sold her - especially when it''s that much money and it''s for an engagement ring. You seem kind of distraught (and I don''t blame you) about this and you shouldn''t be feeling that way about your e-ring stone, you know?
Ditto both. I would think the vendor would want to maintain their integrity, and this makes me go
32.gif
38.gif

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 7:40:33 PM
Date: 12/8/2009 7:38:13 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

38.gif

Ditto both. I would think the vendor would want to maintain their integrity, and this makes me go
32.gif
38.gif

It doesn''t sound to me like the inspection period is void, more like she needs to exchange this stone for one she does like.

In fairness to Ed, he held a stone for a long time that she no longer wants. He lost the opportunity to try and sell it elsewhere, and wants to give her credit toward another stone. That sounds reasonable to me. I''d be astonished if he didn''t work with her to find the right stone. Most of us care intensely that our clients are happy, but we''ve also got families to feed.

I know I''d have a hard time holding a stone for 6 months and then refunding the money. For me, I would do it but unless there were extraordinary circumstances like illness or joblessness I''d write the client off my list.

Cheers,

Lisa

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 7:11:49 PM
I was told that he could not refund my money because of the amount of time that had passed was too great. He said he would either continue to hold the 4k stone for me or i could pick something for the amount i had already paid.

ok, this clears up a lot. you got in a hurry and decided to go for a stone that he would sell for the amount you''d already paid him on a pricier...and i assume much better....stone.

he''s a businessman. he did you a favor in not holding you to the original payment plan on the $4k stone. and now you don''t love the stone you can afford right now. sorry but not his problem.

i think he''s being fair if he accepts the stone back and allows you to continue payments on the original stone you contracted for on an installment basis. remember: he may have missed selling that stone to someone who would have paid him in full already. its not his fault you wanted to get something sooner and went for a lesser stone.

however, and i think this is a REALLY BIG HOWEVER: have you actually seen the $4k stone in person? how do you know you''ll love it? and if over the time it takes to make the installments, will you be back to square one if you don''t like it $4k worth? you would then be way past any return policy. he would then have your $4k and legitimately he would have done you a favor in accepting installments. i''m pretty sure he''s not going to want to return the $ but he might once again allow you to use the $ you''ve paid towards a different stone. back to square one.

personally, i''d make sure the $4k stone is really what i want, delay getting my ring in order to make the remaining payments, and chalk all this up as a consumer learning experience.

i''m sure all this is disappointing. however, vendors cannot be held accountable for our decisions.

mz

ps if you haven''t seen the $4k stone yet: can you have him send it to you putting the balance temporarily on a credit card? that way you could return it to him with a yea or nay as to if its what you really want and he could reverse the charge so you could continue with the installment payments. i hate to see you throw more $ at this only to be disappointed.........and going through all this again. $4k should buy a fab stone!

another way of looking at this is that this stone you have now is for a starter e-ring which you will upgrade at a later date. however, any $ you throw a a recut could instead be used to make one of those installments.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Was it clear that if you used a long payment schedule you would not be able to make any returns?

If it was, then Ed''s refusal for a refund is understandable.

However, I''m worrying that this was not made clear from the beginning. You have paid in full for this stone, and in my opinion, you have the right to return a stone within your 7 day inspection period after delivery of your stone as is stated on the Wildfish Gems site. You are being penalized for using a payment schedule; its definitely not stated that your right to return changes if you use a payment plan. Logically, I can''t understand why it would.

I dislike the fact that you are limited to shopping from Wildfish; this especially concerns me because this sapphire was meant for your engagement ring, and you''ll have a smaller pool of candidates to chose from for a piece that is going to stay with you for a lifetime.

I''ve seen Ed post around here, and he''s always seemed like a pretty nice guy. I really hope he catches this thread and will shed a light on this policy.

If you are forced to do an exchange, this sapphire is lovely link

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Would Ed have allowed you a refund with the stone that was 4k?

MZ, I agree that Ed did SCG a favor by allowing her to change her choice of stone, but I don't see how this affects the standard 7 day inspection period and the return policy.

This is what Wildfish Gems has to say about installments:
"My credit card limit (or monthly budget) is less than the stone's value. Can I pay in installments?
Yes, please contact us to arrange the payment or ask your credit card company to temporary lift the limit for your purchases. You may also pay by wire or western union. Contact us for details."

It seems that the pictures posted on Wildfish Gems were not representative of the color SCG sees in real life, and was also photographed in a way that disguised the extent of windowing of the stone. It seems to border on misrepresentation. However, it was SCG's responsibility to check out this vendor's rep (which has always seemed to be stellar to me) and learn about photographing gems, light sources, checking for windowing, etc.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with MZ on this, now that we have the full story.

Here''s my advice, which is worth exactly what you paid for it:

Talk to Ed. See if he has anything in your current price range (~$1K) that might suit your needs. If he doesn''t, maybe he can source it. I know that Wildfish has a policy of selling only untreated, fully natural gems that are mined with stringent ethical and environmental concerns. This is a laudable policy but it might limit the gems available to you. Under these circumstances, perhaps it might be possible to work with Ed to get something from Palagems or another third-party vendor that preserves his margin but also gives you more choices?

If it turns out to be impossible to find something nice around $1K (which seems doubtful to me as there are some very nice sapphires available around that price point), then definitely make sure you love love LOVE that $4K stone before you sink any more money into it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Liane, asking Ed to work with Pala is a great idea!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
As far as layaway plans go, it''s not that unsual for a layaway- especially a long term one- to void a return policy... it''s often one of the trade offs of doing an interest-free payment plan. I don''t know if it applies to gemstone vendors, but it is possible that a portion of the payments go to a third party (like a supplier) and thus are not possible to return. I know that''s how it works at the antique mall I work at; we physically can''t do returns on layaways, because we''d be out double the money- if the mall would refund the customer the (say) $100, but the mall would have already paid the third-party-owner of the item, the antique dealer, $88 ($100 less commission). So we''d be out a total of $188 if we did a $100 refund on a layaway payment. I''m sure it''s possible it works that way with other merchants like colored stone sellers. Even if that''s not the case, yeah- pulling a larger ticket item off the shelf for 6 months is a pretty big deal.

That is a dilemma though. I''d probably return the one you have, and wait until the right stone comes along if nothing else appeals right now. His spinels do look yummy!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I do believe he will let me return this sapphire for another sapphire in his collection. I have sent him an email to inquire about this.

MZ-I never said anything was Ed's fault or that he is to blame for a stone I picked with the money I gave him. I'm not sure what gave you this opinion. I'm not going to be making payments on the bigger stone. I can't afford the bigger stone and I don't believe I said anything anywhere negative about Ed or the fact that he won't return my money. I stated what had been discussed between he and I.

SCH7-I never asked about refunds on installments.

ETA-I didn't stop payment on the big stone just because i felt like it. I lost my job a while back and am now only working part time and my car was beyond fixable and we are severely hurting for money. That is why Ed worked with me.

This thread was started because I don't love this stone, it was about the stone. It wasn't about Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results