shape
carat
color
clarity

decided (FINALLY) on setting and Maytal Hannah!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Sera,

I know how challenging this process can be so don''t worry about obsessing .. Better to obsess now than to not like your ring later, right?

Just reading your last couple of posts here and going back to the Happy Bunny sketch, I thought of Loves Vintage''s new ring that she just posted today. In case you haven''t seen it, here is a link. I know you mentioned you''re not really going for an antiquey look, however, when you were decribing what you were thinking of for the split shank, I thought of this ... I hope the pic helps you or will help you better explain to Maytal what it is you are looking for exactly.

Good luck ... I''m keeping posted.

sera

Ideal_Rock
The only thing is that every time I tried on a ring without sidestones, it felt like it was missing something. So, I probably would not be happy without sidestones... I like the other type of halos, like Leon does (and she has done) that they kinda curve from the top around to the side... that would be more curvy, but also higher set, which I didn''t want so I wasn''t going to have diamonds on the side of the halo like I had envisioned. I really wasn''t planning on a cc.sq. halo like that, so the straight edges of my PoH and traps would be balanced out with a softer halo and shank.

She knows I am planning to wear 2 bands with my ring and I know 3mm isn''t HUGE and it will be balanced with my ring... I just was envisioning 2mm. Maybe 2mm would look disproportionate with the ring.
slider_sigh.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know exactly what you mean about the ring missing something without sidestones! I tried on regular halo settings and I just needed the sidestones to get that just right feeling.

I think 2 mm would look good with your ring...again, if 3 mm isn''t what you want, just tell her! You shouldn''t compromise on a part of the ring that''s important to you.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Yeah... so I think I would miss the sidestones more than I would miss the split shank (I can always get a split shank RHR
31.gif
). I may ask about this type of halo (though following the shape of my stone) to add that softness and ask how much higher it would be.
simong_white_pink_white.jpg

I fell in love with the white-pink-white bands look and initially that''s the type of band I wanted but since the bands will be separate, the diamonds would rub.

I guess I will wait til I see the sketch... I did not specify any width to her- I just didn''t want to put limitations that might not work as well as what she comes up with (IDK if the width has something to do with me wanting the w-band to fit close but not flush?). One thing about the 1mm more width to the band, that''s 1mm more of bling in the band, lol.

My temp setting is about 3mm, I think:
seras_poh_handshot.JPG

Here''s a pic of my 3 fakey 3mm bands I got when I was trying out different looks and sizes. The rings are a size too big but gives an idea of the look. It felt kind of bulky to me... not like I couldn''t get used to it, but wouldn''t be my first choice in widths.

3-3mms.JPG

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
Sera!!
How did I miss this thread??? Your ring is going to be incredible
30.gif
30.gif
and I am drooling with anticipation. Congrats!!

Nancy

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi sera! (obssess?? nah, no one here can relate to that. knock it off, will ya?
2.gif
)

i was looking at your bunny sketch again after reading your ''split shank vs. sidestones'' dilemma and i see why it would be hard to give up both! in the sketch it looks great having both, but of course visions and reality often do present conflicts. i have a halo (with diamonds that taper down in size along the shank but not actual sidestones per se), and the other day i was thinking how maybe i should have gone with a halo AND sidestones (during my search i thought it would be too much for me to have both).... so i guess based on my own experience i would recommend that you keep the sidestones since you already know you feel like something is missing without them!

as for the 3mm, how about having it taper down from 3mm right after the sidestones to 2mm, kind of how you have it in your sketch, but without the split of course. i can see how maytal would recommend the 3mm because of proportions and because that might be what the small side of the sidestones will measure in at, but if you taper down you could possibly still achieve the effect of the original look you were after. just a thought.

i''m so excited for you! watching your process come along is going to continue to be fun - thanks for sharing!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I just got the sketch... and it''s REALLY pretty!!!

Actually, (as expected) the 3mm is in proportion; it creates a gentle curve sweeping from the cut corner of the halo then to the side of the trap (like I had wanted) and then to the shank. I think it could still work with a narrower shank, but would be a different look (and less bling in the band). So, I''ll have to think about what I want.

I''m not sure if she would mind me posting the sketch, so I''ll hold off until I okay it with her.

Thanks for all the help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds wonderful! I''d trust her on the proportions. The only thing I''d question is whether 3 rings might be too much with such an elaborate e-ring (regardless of the width of the e-ing).

vslover

Shiny_Rock
ooh I''m in love with the pink/white setting...where is that from??

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
No advice, but I''m sure you''ll love the ring that Maytal makes for you. She did my engagement ring (upgrade) in August 2006. I didn''t know she had a baby or that she has a website now. In fact, my ring is on her website. It was kind of fun seeing it. My ring is 2.1 or 2.2 mm and it still seems very thin, so I don''t think 3 mm would be wide at all.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 10:52:23 PM
Author: vslover
ooh I''m in love with the pink/white setting...where is that from??
I think that''s a Simon G setting.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 1:26:43 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Date: 1/22/2008 10:52:23 PM

Author: vslover

ooh I'm in love with the pink/white setting...where is that from??

I think that's a Simon G setting.
Yes, it is a Simon G ring. I absolutely fell in love with Simon G rings and pink diamonds when I saw them at *cough*cough*RobbinsBrothers*cough*cough*. This particular setting is gorgeous and very dainty in person.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 1:20:38 PM
Author: Cind11
No advice, but I''m sure you''ll love the ring that Maytal makes for you. She did my engagement ring (upgrade) in August 2006. I didn''t know she had a baby or that she has a website now. In fact, my ring is on her website. It was kind of fun seeing it. My ring is 2.1 or 2.2 mm and it still seems very thin, so I don''t think 3 mm would be wide at all.

Your ring is beautiful, Cind!

And you''re right, 3mm isn''t wide, but when I wanted to stack them, it''s wider than I had considered. I was thinking about 2- 2.2mm. I suppose I could get a thinner w-band and stacking ring than the e-ring is... but I kinda wanted the e-ring and w-band the same width while the stacking ring could be whatever width.

Here''s Cind''s ring for those who haven''t seen it...
P8260582SS.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Sera,

Thanks for the compliment on my ring. Yes, I can understand what your''re saying about stacking the bands. I will look forward to seeing your completed ring(s).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is SO gorgeous, Cind!!!
30.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks DiamondSeeker. that''s so nice of you to say!

sera

Ideal_Rock
OK, Maytal gave me permission to post the sketch. The sketch actually came actual size so I could place it on my finger. I blew up a scan of it to post also.

She said if I want 2mm that''s fine, but the 3mm (approx. as she determines the exact size when making it) would allow it to taper. So, I may just go ahead with the 3mm and if it''s less than that, fine- if not, fine.

So please, let me know what you think. I''m still debating between step traps and brilliant traps.

maytals_sketch.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
...and kinda on my finger.

maytals_sketch_on.JPG

illume

Rough_Rock
oh my gosh..it''s beautiful!!!! I''m in the process of looking for a halo setting also and have been obsessing- and this is one gorgeous thing!

Yeah-I''m sure this is a huge relief for you!

I''m just going to crawl back to my setting search hole.....

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of the most exciting threads I''ve read in Ps history...a Maytal ring...she does such gorgeous pieces...you are one lucky gal. I love the rose gold incorporated into your ring, and I have to vote for a 3mm band, I think that will be the best of both worlds. I really cannot wait to see the finished product on your beautiful finger, Sera. Best of luck to you that this is a smooth and happy process!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 8:29:19 PM
Author: sera

And you''re right, 3mm isn''t wide, but when I wanted to stack them, it''s wider than I had considered.
I totally agree. Even SMALL differences in width really start to add up quick when stacking. Think of it this way -- the total width of your 3 stacking rings above is 9mm (not counting finger space between, of course). If those rings were individually 2mm (rather than 3mm) the total stacking width would only be 6mm total... that''s like THREE rings currently in the *space* of TWO. That''s not insignificant.

BTW, congrats on your future Maytal ring! Egads, it''s gonna be GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely lovely...congratulations!! I am very, very, very excited for you! Can''t wait to see the finished product!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 2:28:28 PM
KimberlyH[/b]... oh, I do not put the decisive in indecisive... I have a few (long) threads about obsessing on my indecision... it took me a looooooooong time to decide this is what I want. But, it was really FUN contemplating all the possibilities! I looked at a ton of pictures, got a lot of opinions, explored options that were not in my top choices, bought fakey rings to test out, tried on a ton of designs and obsessed about 23/7 (yes, I was even obsessing in my dreams! lol).

There were certain things I knew I wanted but couldn''t find all those in a stock piece exactly like I wanted and similar options just wouldn''t do it. The only things I really ''gave up,'' was an Asscher center (which someday will get as a RHR so it''s not really given up) and full eternity on the e-ring (which will have engraving so it''s not plain and a w-band will have it so again it''s not really given up).
Hi Sera,
I just started looking at this thread, and I don''t have much input since I''m 10x more indecisive than you!! But wanted to say I TOTALLY sympathize with your "obsessing" as you say, and the whole process in particular. I too have looked at tons of pictures, tried on tons of rings, got lots of opinions, bought fakey rings etc etc etc.........
6.gif
I could have written much of what you said above. And I''m in the same boat as you; I met with Quest - kinda like you, found a local designer to be a plus - in early January, and took the plunge. I have been getting stressed at times - what if it doesn''t turn out right????
32.gif
Yesterday I once again convinced myself it will be fine. I didn''t read thru this whole thread, but I think I saw you mentioning "more curvy" and I too struggled with that - how to merge curvy with some other styles. In the end I went with a very clean, curvy look, with no pave, even though I like antique looks - I''m hoping he can still achieve the character etc... that some of the cleaner antique rings have. But anyway, I digress - (I thought of starting a thread about mine, mainly for moral support - maybe I should!)

So far the design you have looks beautiful, but don''t be afraid to wait more until you''re totally sure.. And don''t feel bad about obsessing; I think I am the most indecisive etc. pricescoper ever!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 8:54:00 PM
The only thing is that every time I tried on a ring without sidestones, it felt like it was missing something. So, I probably would not be happy without sidestones...
I find the same thing.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 12:05:50 AM
...and kinda on my finger.
Oh, that''s a great idea to make a sketch that fits the finger! It looks great. I''m sure it will be beautiful!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 1:01:45 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 1/23/2008 8:29:19 PM

And you''re right, 3mm isn''t wide, but when I wanted to stack them, it''s wider than I had considered.

I totally agree. Even SMALL differences in width really start to add up quick when stacking. Think of it this way -- the total width of your 3 stacking rings above is 9mm (not counting finger space between, of course). If those rings were individually 2mm (rather than 3mm) the total stacking width would only be 6mm total... that''s like THREE rings currently in the *space* of TWO. That''s not insignificant.

BTW, congrats on your future Maytal ring! Egads, it''s gonna be GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Yeah, I really can''t have 9mm for daily wear. I *may* keep the ering at 3mm (or whatever it turns out to be) and then go for two 2mm bands... or even down to 1.5mm (I tried on a Simon G ring that size and it was so sweet!). I want to go out trying on some band combinations first though.

I''m really excited!
36.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Thanks illume, Monarch and Ihc!

It feels like it took an eternity to get to this point (and to my FI it seems like an eternity and a half!), but I''m feeling really good about all the decisions... now just a couple more! Yay!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Old-fashioned... oh yeah, lots of days and nights (and posts) obsessing! But it''s been fun imagining all the possibilities! It has made me nervous time to time when thinking, "what if I don''t like the way it turns out?" But, I''m really comfortable with Maytal''s expertise... so it will all work out :)

Today at work I brought in my paper ring... I got comments like, "OMG, You''re so funny! It''s going to be beautiful" and "You''re so cute! That''s really pretty!" and "You didn''t really cut it out, did you? OMG, you did! Wow! That''s going to be so pretty!" Oy... y''all PSers understand me at least!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous design! I would totally trust her judgment if she thinks 3mm will look best. You are right that you can just get thinner diamond bands. I think that would look better anyway since the Maytal ring needs to be the center of attention!!

illume

Rough_Rock
Last night I gave up on my halo setting search and I''m thinking of getting a ring with two small baguettes on the side - because I can''t think anymore-the bf thinks I''m crazy, I feel crazy..but then I see a light at the end of the tunnel with someone else on PS finding their dream setting....might have to change my mind again.

ps..y''all?? love it! where from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results