shape
carat
color
clarity

decided (FINALLY) on setting and Maytal Hannah!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sera

Ideal_Rock
After obsessing on ALLLLLLLLLLLLL my likes and dislikes and stock settings and different custom designers and looking at post after post after post after pic after pic after pic and changing my mind back and forth again and again... I finally decided to commit to what I want!

a delicate halo with step trap sides and a very slight split shank (depending on the dimensions of the sides I want to go with, I may not be able to go with a split and am ok with that). I also mentioned I would want to wear a wedding band and sometimes a stacking ring between the two).

I met with Maytal today and discussed what I wanted... she seemed genuinely excited about the design and how it would work with my diamond (which she said was beautiful, btw, lol just had to throw that in
37.gif
and when I said it was an SI2 I think she was not expecting that (thanks Jon @ GOG for a totally eyeclean SI2!)

She is very friendly and professional... my FI and I felt completely comfortable with her. (Her little baby boy is darling... such a sweet, happy baby!) She was totally easy going hearing what I wanted and gave her expert opinion along the way. I brought my bling book to show her proportions and details I liked and didn''t like.

AND... I got to try on her bling! Even with baby fingerprints on them they were beautiful and sparkly! And I asked if she minded I take pics of her rings cuz YALL would wanna see... I tried my best but the lighting in Jerry''s Deli and my camera were not helping me take good pics... I even tried strmrdr''s tips but couldn''t do it... the lighting wasn''t great without the flash so the pic blurred and with the flash everything was white.

I only got pics of 2 rings cuz my pic-taking was useless! Not pictured was a tsav (or gorgeous emerald) halo, DBTY kinda necklaces and a beautiful bracelet... kinda like a DBTY but with a double chain and the diamonds were set in halos.

This is a 1.5ct EC on my pinky and my .99ct PoH.

maytalsEC_serasPoH.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
a closer one of her EC

ETA: oy... sorry these are so blurry! she said she would send me the pro pics but figured I should upload the handshots as bad as they are.

maytalsEC.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
This one was gorgeous... the halo was so unique and pretty... the yellow diamond was beautiful. She wore it with a (1.5mm?) rose gold eternity band with white diamonds.

maytalsfancyshmancyyellow.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
And this is a very blurry pic of the side. I''m gonna practice strmdrdrs tips (and maybe read my camera''s manual again). Sorry the pics are so poor
15.gif
they were such beautiful rings!!!
3.gif

maytalsfancyshmancyyellowblurryside.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
OH... I wanted to add something that surprised me... in the GOOD pics I''ve seen, the hand engraving was so blown up I expected it in person to be very stand-out-ish... it was actually very, very subtle. I had wondered about getting the engraving... wondering if something so "ornate" would get old to me... but it''s so subtle and beautiful, I want the engraving.

I don''t know the correct terminology but the engraving did not seem really deep... different from when I tried on the Scott Kay rings and the depth of the engraving was really deep so the pattern was very obvious. I very much like her engraving... it''s so soft and pretty.

Iwantacushion

Rough_Rock
It''s great that you got to visit their store. I am in OC and have been debating going there, 23rd street jewelers or send the stone to Leon in NY. I am so undecided about this. Let us know how the design process works and how long it takes to do the setting! Congrats!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 11:53:40 PM
Author: Iwantacushion
It''s great that you got to visit their store. I am in OC and have been debating going there, 23rd street jewelers or send the stone to Leon in NY. I am so undecided about this. Let us know how the design process works and how long it takes to do the setting! Congrats!
She actually doesn''t have a store anymore, so you need to meet up with her.

Basically, she will sketch up something based on what I want and the proportions she knows will complement the overall design and my center stone... email me on Monday and give me a quote on sidestones (she couldn''t when I met until she sketched out what size she would use)... then we go from there. It takes about 4-6 weeks for the ring to be made. (We are not in a rush so will take our time). You pay half upfront, then when done the remaining.

We were going to take a trip to 23rd St. following our meeting with Maytal, but because of traffic we couldn''t make it. And, I just decided to go with her after meeting with her. I will still try to make a trip out to 23rd. just to look but don''t think it will change my mind at all.

At first I had wanted to go with Leon... BUT... because I want pave and that style has the possibility or likelihood of a stone popping out, I knew I would not want to be shipping my ring to NY if/when it happened. I love his work but think Maytal is equally skilled... so a local designer was def a plus. If I had not found a local person I liked, I would have gone with Leon.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Thought you might want a visual of basically what I was describing (even if MY quick sketch {NOT Maytal's LOL} is lame and the fine details aren't there). If you didn't, well, at least Happy Bunny is cute.

serasghettosketch.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
DKS... I welcome your drool
37.gif
I seriously look forward to when I'll be drooling over your new doorknob!
hug.gif
I was totally drooling over her stuff!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic, Sera! I''m glad you were able to come to a decision. I can''t wait to see the final product. It looks/sounds as though it will be outstanding.
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is going to be one gorgeous ring! You are so lucky to be able to meet with Maytal! I agree that she is highly skilled and a perfectionist. I think her rings are on her site if anyone wants to see them. I posted some on a thread awhile back, too. I plan to get her to make me a rhr eventually.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay sera...can''t wait to see the finished project. it''s going to be amazing, i"m sure of it!!

Iwantacushion

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info on Maytal. My husband wants us to go local- so it will definitely be Maytal or 23rd. Did you ever consider Singlestone?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing the pictures! It sounds like you are going to have one beautiful ring on your finger very soon! I love how decisive you are, I can't pick where I want to go to dinner, I could never design a custom ring! Can't wait to hear about the process and see the finished product. What a fun experience.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Sera, I am soooo excited for you!

I love Maytal''s work...your ring is going to be GORGEOUS!!!! YAY!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is going to be a beautiful work of art, I cannot wait to see the finished ring!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAAAYYYY!!
36.gif
i am so excited for you sera! your PoH is divine and i am loving the sketch you posted. that is going to be one killer ring! i can''t wait to see how everything progresses and i hope that 4-6 weeks goes by fast!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I L
30.gif
VE your ring design! It''s going to be spectacular!!! Can''t wait to see it finished!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Here is her site for those interested (not sure I posted it in this thread). Maytal Hannah

TY Sparklicious, mrssalvo, Dani, Diamond*Dana, rainydaze and Rock Candy!

My FI needs to save up a bit more $$$ before we have Maytal start the ring, so I won''t have it in 4-6 weeks. Luckily I do have my diamond in a temporary setting so I can wear that! I''m really excited to see it as well!

diamondseeker, I couldn''t believe they were that perfect and she fabricated them with her own hands! I was absolutely amazed! The diamonds in the halo of her EC were sooooo tiny... it seems it would be impossible to do that by hand!

I took a jewelery making class once and cast a ring and beadset small gemstones in it... it''s painfully tedious and difficult. I can''t imagine doing thousands of them in ring after ring with each being so perfect.

Iwantacushion, I didn''t really consider Singlestone only because when I think of them I think of vintage-inspired, and that''s not exactly the look I wanted for my e-ring.

They do beautiful work from what I have seen on their site and here on PS... I would have no reservations going with them for a vintage-y ring. 23rd I think pave and floral. Maytal I think pave and engraving.

So if all are excellent quality and in my eyes beautiful, I just went with the designer who I think of as matching the type of look I want for this particular ring. I wouldn''t have gone to Maytal had I wanted a Singlestone-looking ring, nor Singlestone for a 23rd St.-looking ring, etc.

KimberlyH[/b]... oh, I do not put the decisive in indecisive... I have a few (long) threads about obsessing on my indecision... it took me a looooooooong time to decide this is what I want. But, it was really FUN contemplating all the possibilities! I looked at a ton of pictures, got a lot of opinions, explored options that were not in my top choices, bought fakey rings to test out, tried on a ton of designs and obsessed about 23/7 (yes, I was even obsessing in my dreams! lol).

There were certain things I knew I wanted but couldn''t find all those in a stock piece exactly like I wanted and similar options just wouldn''t do it. The only things I really "gave up," was an Asscher center (which someday will get as a RHR so it''s not really given up) and full eternity on the e-ring (which will have engraving so it''s not plain and a w-band will have it so again it''s not really given up).

36.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
If this isn't the exact EC I tried on, it's very similar (the split IRL appears much smaller than in the pic):
maytalR-ec%20(2).jpg

And I think this is the emerald I tried on (the diamonds in the halo are 1point):
maytalR-emerald%20(2).jpg

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah Sera!
36.gif

Congrats on your decision! Can''t wait to see the finished product, it''s going to be BEAUTIFUL!
36.gif
36.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the other ring I tried to get a picture of:

maytalsYLW.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Your new setting sounds divine Sera :)

sera

Ideal_Rock
I'm awaiting the sketch but getting really nervous... the shank is thicker than I had anticipated (3mm - but she said it's in proportion for the ring). Also, I can't have a split shank with the size sidestones I want because the shorter length of the trap is too short to accommodate this (and I don't want want to go bigger on the sidestones giving a more 3-stone look). So, it's either no sidestones and a split shank or sidestones and a standard shank. Without the curve of the split, I'm worried there will be too many straight edges (since my halo is a cc.sq. as my stone is). When I get the sketch, I will actually be able to place it on my finger, which is pretty kewl.

This is a similar ring (but with a 3ct princess). My halo will have a tiny bit less than 1 point diamonds, so a tiny bit smaller than the one around the emerald already posted, but bigger than the EC one). What do you think?!?!
32.gif

ETA: Keep in mind I will have a w-band and I wanted it the same width as the e-ring PLUS a middle stacking ring. I think that will be too much width.
32.gif

maytal_3ct.princess_topview.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
I just don''t know. I could make it more curvy by dumping the sidestones and going with a split shank (but then even though it''s not the case and it doesn''t really matter if it was, I feel like, well coworkers have sidestones so theirs is bigger)... or a more cushion shape halo (forgot to mention mine will have a bezel), or half moons instead of traps.

maytal_3ct.princess_sideview.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sera!

Hmmmm.....I like her sketch, but I am wondering what kind of look YOU prefer? I think it comes down to whether you truly want a split shank ring, or do you want a 3 stone ring? Since the proportions wont allow you to have both a split shank AND side stones, you are going to have to choose. Two totally different looks, both beautiful, but very different. What do you think will look best with your stone?

sera

Ideal_Rock
I just don''t know... I pretty much had envisioned a 3-stone from the start, but I also envisioned a very thin shank and something with some curve (it just looks more feminine to me). I''m giving myself a headache from obsessing on this!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will be gorgeous! But I think if you definitely want a thinner shank, you should definitely speak up and tell her that. I have a *very* similar setting that WF custom made for me and the shank is 2.2 mm wide and tall. (It has 3 sided pave.) I like the width of the shank how it is, personally and I don't think I'd want it any thicker. (However, I am not a designer and I know my setting isn't exactly like yours!) I have a 1.5 carat radiant in a halo with tapered baguette sidestones. Here's the stock pic of it:

ETA: Because your sidestones are traps, the thicker shank might match the width of the trap better...just throwing that out there!

asdfdasdsssss.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Can she make a sketch of what a split shank (with thinner shank) would look like so you have an idea and can compare the two?

(and dont worry about feeling like you are obessing...you've come to the right place...we've all been there at one time or another)
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results