carat
color
clarity

Christmas 2012 Talk!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1355105970|3327215 said:
Boo on the no cruises out there...but you have so many beautiful places out there that I would die to go...and they are in your backyard! I think half the fun is getting off the boat, so I think SO just wants to protect you...and I admit...that's some scary stuff to deal with, I wouldn't want to cruise either over there!

6 night western carribean on independence of the seas...It leaves out of fort lauderdale, stops in georgetown-grand cayman, labadee-Haiti, falmouth-jamaica! We've actually never been on a cruise...so I'm kinda excited!

Yeah, Mexico scares me still. They don't talk about it on the media anymore, but there are still stories if you search for them. There's never any guarantees, and the way he explains it is.. yes, it's cheap money-wise to go to Mexico, but if your life is at stake, it's the most expensive trip you'll ever take. :(sad EASY FOR HIM TO SAY!

Wow the itinerary of your cruise sounds AMAZING! !!!! How far is Falmouth from the Dunns River Falls? If you can go there, go! It's one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1355105657|3327209 said:
MBKRH|1355104472|3327199 said:
OMG, that hat is awesome!!! :lol: love it!

I'm done buying for M. I might get him one more thing- not sure yet.

He hasn't done any shopping yet. I'm difficult to shop for, for one. Two, he said all the things on my Pinterest "Christmas list" were so expensive (yes and no), and three, he just took care of a bunch of past-due bills with some of his Christmas bonus (which is AWESOME- a little less stress is always a good thing).

That's really great that he was able to get a Christmas bonus and he put it right towards bills! Less stress is ALWAYS a good thing!

Maybe you can narrow down your Pinterest to things in his "budget"? Did you guys establish a budget?

No. There's a few outrageous items on there, but more or less, I'd like them, but don't NEED them. A lot of the stuff is fairly priced "wants."

He asked what I've spent, and I said "more than 100, less than 150." So he has a ballpark figure to work with. Either way, I won't be disappointed what I end up with.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
madelise|1355087008|3327002 said:
HAHA! You are a party packed in one person, Cygnet. I love the painting, and I love your hat. That hat is so unexpected, I almost choked.

YAY I AM A PARTY! :appl:

I am glad you all like my hat :) They are so wonderful. I'm giving two away for Christmas this year. From the Penguin Hats website:

Penguin Hats have several unique and useful features that distinguish them from other hats:
-Penguin
-Companionship
-Splendor

I totally just lost it upon reading "splendor" and then I knew that my favorite people HAD to have one.

Anyway, I love giving whimsical gifts.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided I am going to host a holiday dinner/shindig at SO's place the Sunday before Christmas. I'm going to make it themed. I was going to do a holiday socks theme, but I think any funky socks will do. I didn't cook Thanksgiving dinner for my friends this year, so this will be my chance to make up for it.

Any help on a menu? Suggestions for options for a Christmas dinner? No pork. And no baller dishes like lobster :loopy:

What are you ladies doing for the holidays?

I've got a Christmas taco night with a close friend and her family. We're doing a white elephant exchange there.
Then my dinner. Which hopefully won't be a bust.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355211799|3328326 said:
I decided I am going to host a holiday dinner/shindig at SO's place the Sunday before Christmas. I'm going to make it themed. I was going to do a holiday socks theme, but I think any funky socks will do. I didn't cook Thanksgiving dinner for my friends this year, so this will be my chance to make up for it.

Any help on a menu? Suggestions for options for a Christmas dinner? No pork. And no baller dishes like lobster :loopy:

I've got a Christmas taco night with a close friend and her family. We're doing a white elephant exchange there.
How fun!

We do lots of things together. We'll spend at least one day with my family and at least one with his as well. Another with mutual friends.

Things we do togther this time of year:
Drive around different neighborhoods and look at lights, usually while drinking cocoa
Watch ALL the Christmas movies!
Bake yummy cookies
Build a gingerbread house together and decorate it!
Decorate our little apartment with our litle things
People watch at the NICE mall while sharing some Starbucks treats
Stuff each other's stockings with surprises (of low monetary value)
Buy/burn through a ton of holiday scented candles

I'm sure there's more...I'll come back and add if I think of anything else...

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1355234347|3328424 said:

How fun!

We do lots of things together. We'll spend at least one day with my family and at least one with his as well. Another with mutual friends.

Things we do togther this time of year:
Drive around different neighborhoods and look at lights, usually while drinking cocoa
Watch ALL the Christmas movies!
Bake yummy cookies
Build a gingerbread house together and decorate it!
Decorate our little apartment with our litle things
People watch at the NICE mall while sharing some Starbucks treats
Stuff each other's stockings with surprises (of low monetary value)
Buy/burn through a ton of holiday scented candles

I'm sure there's more...I'll come back and add if I think of anything else...

--- oOOh.. I'm going to have to have plenty of cookie dough and hot cocoa materials for our dinner. :naughty:
Any movie suggestions?

boysenberry

Rough_Rock

Not sure what should be your main course but I am all about the sides. Brussel sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes, biscuits. Mmmm

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
boysenberry|1355256392|3328736 said:

Not sure what should be your main course but I am all about the sides. Brussel sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes, biscuits. Mmmm

Lol, I love sides, too! I have never eaten brussel sprouts. Is that weird? I think I'm going to make a green bean casserole for the veggie dish, a potato dish (haven't decided between scalloped or mashed), a mushroom dish (give me suggestions please!), and a pasta. I don't know what pasta, yet, either, so I'm glad to take suggestions.

Now main…. :( I would love to just order a turkey breast from the Honey Baked Ham store, but that's like $50. Are there any recipes for a honey glazed oven roasted breast?

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355255300|3328708 said:
--- oOOh.. I'm going to have to have plenty of cookie dough and hot cocoa materials for our dinner. :naughty:
Any movie suggestions?
Hmm..movies that we watch every year:
Arthur Christmas (new from last year, but very cute and funny!)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Christmas Vacation
Christmas with the Kranks
Elf
Home Alone
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (live action with Jim Carrey and the cartoon narrated one)
Jingle All The Way
Mickey's Christmas Carol
The Santa Claus Series (1, 2, and 3!)
White Christmas
It's A Wonderful Life
Fred Claus
Four Christmases

I'm sure there are more!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise you're not missing out on the brussel sprouts...I hate em! Unless they are deep fried and served with bacon :lol: They are supposed to be like little cabbage but I find them really bitter.

Not sure of what our actual plans are still, but what it is looking like is I will be working Christmas Eve til 3, then driving down to my aunt's house, eating dinner and opening some presents there, then driving back that evening (it's only 2 hours away). Possibly will be driving with SO to his family's for Christmas day breakfast and spend time with them there, but we'd have to drive separately because he'll be staying throughout new year's and after that, where I will have to come back and work. Haven't gotten to NYE yet!!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
pandabee|1355286714|3329101 said:
madelise you're not missing out on the brussel sprouts...I hate em! Unless they are deep fried and served with bacon :lol: They are supposed to be like little cabbage but I find them really bitter.

Haha people tend to have pretty strong feelings about brussel sprouts one way or the other. They are a little harder to cook but if you sautee them first and then stick them in the oven to roast they won't be bitter. Otherwise the insides tend to be undercooked.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1355331109|3329417 said:

Haha people tend to have pretty strong feelings about brussel sprouts one way or the other. They are a little harder to cook but if you sautee them first and then stick them in the oven to roast they won't be bitter. Otherwise the insides tend to be undercooked.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it if I feel like being adventurous someday hehe

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
pandabee|1355331313|3329419 said:
boysenberry|1355331109|3329417 said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it if I feel like being adventurous someday hehe

This is a great recipe I've used with success (with bacon of course) :lol:
http://www.tasteasyougo.com/2009/01/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon.html

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha, maybe I have had brussel sprouts! I remember eating something bitter. I'm chicken; I'm scared to mess up.

ugh, PB, that's right.. New Years!! :knockout: I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I just hope I'm not at SO's house, watching Cake Boss on Netflix again, like I did last year. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: Worst NYE ever.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355334999|3329481 said:
haha, maybe I have had brussel sprouts! I remember eating something bitter. I'm chicken; I'm scared to mess up.

ugh, PB, that's right.. New Years!! :knockout: I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I just hope I'm not at SO's house, watching Cake Boss on Netflix again, like I did last year. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: Worst NYE ever.
Andrew had to work new year's eve last year. He was off before midnight, but he got home around 10pm. So while he was at work I went to the liquor store and got stuff for margaritas (which we LOVE) and made ghiradelli dark chocolate peanut butter brownies. Mmm.

We snuggled, ate, drank, and watched the ball drop while talking about all the things 2012 would hold for us. So far, they've all happened. Just one thing left on the list....

This year (assuming he gets the night off work as requested) we'll be going a few hours north of Tampa to visit friends. We'll be at my BFF's house with her, her husband and our two other best friends (guys) from high school. They'll have their girlfriends, I'll have Andrew (hopefully FIANCEE!) and my girl BFF (the host) will have her Mom (grandma) watch their son.

We'll have drinks, games, bonfires, and just talk the night away. So looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
madelise said:
I just hope I'm not at SO's house, watching Cake Boss on Netflix again, like I did last year. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: Worst NYE ever.

I did almost exactly this last year - replace SO's house with SO's parents house, and Cake Boss with Victorias Secret Fashion Show! I had a great time though! :lol: I like to be at home on NYE!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chewbacca|1355347282|3329710 said:
madelise said:
I just hope I'm not at SO's house, watching Cake Boss on Netflix again, like I did last year. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: Worst NYE ever.

I did almost exactly this last year - replace SO's house with SO's parents house, and Cake Boss with Victorias Secret Fashion Show! I had a great time though! :lol: I like to be at home on NYE!

Haha you enjoyed yours, though. I hate Cake Boss. I was bored like hell, and my friend wanted to watch it.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I don't like Cake Boss either, he yells too much. I love Amazing Wedding Cakes on WEtv. I also love Cupcake Wars! But yeah...I don't think I'd want to be watching them on NYE.

audball

Ideal_Rock
ONE WEEK UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1355841433|3334523 said:

holy smokes!!!! Where has this month gone??

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1355842184|3334549 said:
audball|1355841433|3334523 said:

holy smokes!!!! Where has this month gone??
Seriously!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I got a Christmas pickle! A coworker gifted me one today!

img_20121218_111633_917.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
audball,

I think your new Christmas pickle needs a touch of some of that gold glitter polish from the manicure thread... :lol:

liz

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i am officially done finals!! time to enjoy christmas!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
WHERE DID TIME GO?

I have been making watercolour illustrations after work these past two nights. The words 'Home Sweet Home' can be slightly manipulated to become meaningful to SO's family. :Up_to_something: I'm making three; his parents has an illustration of the family home, one brother/SIL have a wreath of flowers, and the other brother/SIL is just the words. I'm quite nervous about them!

I'm also making something for my sister, which reminds me I need to utilize the work printer! :naughty:

audball

Ideal_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1355855227|3334760 said:
WOOT!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Delurking to say...I ended up picking up a Christmas pickle at Target the other day too! :lol: I convinced DH that it was a good idea after telling him about the thread. It was cheap, and I'm sure it won't last, but it's fun! The kids can't wait to hunt for it on Christmas morning.

Also, good luck to all of you lovely ladies that are hoping for a Christmastime proposal!! Oh, and heaps of dust for happy job news too! ::)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1355866140|3334965 said:
LoveLikeCrazy|1355855227|3334760 said:
WOOT!

AUD!!! Any job news yet??? I'm antsy!! And don't forget to post a pic of the mani after u get it in the other thread!

I really should have picked up a Christmas pickle. Maybe next time I brave the stores I will haha!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL@PICKLES.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
*happy dance* Yay for more pickles!!!! lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results