shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas 2012 Talk!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, spill the beans. We've got 52 days until Christmas (or however many days it is from the day you're reading this..
see: http://www.xmasclock.com/.

Do you celebrate Christmas? Have you been thinking about it yet? Have you started purchasing gifts?
Show me your wish list, and tell me what you're planning to get for SO, or others!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.. everywhere you go...

audball

Ideal_Rock
I love Christmas. It is seriously my favorite time of the year. I enjoy more of the season and general atmosphere this time of the year brings than the gift part. Andrew and I aren't present people. We prefer to do things together, special things, small trips, that sort of thing. Date events - baking together, watching our favorite Christmas movies, walks looking at Christmas lights, hot cocoa and Christmas treats, visiting with family and friends, enjoying the beautiful weather. We're just not stuff people.

We will do cards for each other and will do stocking stuffers (last year we limited to $10 and filled each other's stockings). We did do gifts last year, but just small ones ($30 limit), I'm not sure we'll do that this year because we're talking about taking a few days trip somewhere instead. We also spent other money getting things for memories, like our first Christmas ornament last year, etc.

I've been thinking about Christmas for awhile already! It's the earliest part of timeline to engagement and I'm secretly hoping it'll happen in the magic of the season! I wouldn't want it on the holiday itself (or even Christmas Eve) because I want it to be about us and don't want to have to share with anyone right away, but just before the holidays would be great because we could have a few days to ourselves and still be able to share with family a few days later while the news is still new, exciting, and fresh!

One of my favorite lines from a Christmas song we all may be able to relate to right now...

"Santa baby...I forgot to mention one little thing...a ring! I don't mean on the phone!" :Up_to_something:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We don't really do gifts for each other...maybe a few small things here and there, but our "gift" is a trip. Every year for the last 4 years we have gone to Vegas for a long weekend to celebrate Christmas and our anniversary, which is Dec. 23rd.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I looooove chrIstmas! We put up a tree the day after thanksgiving! Every year we watch Elf together, and of course I watch all the other crazy movies when I have time.

My Christmas list is odds and ends from a few different places. We do stockings as well. Last year was our first Christmas and we spent around 500. We both said this year we wanted to spend less - but it's looking to be the same amount! He already got his present. He wanted a piece for one of his guns....since its going to be winter here and cold as u know what, I gave it to him early so he can actually enjoy it. He will still get a nice stocking! For stockings we usually do gift cards and candy and whatever odds and ends. My stocking is WAY bigger so I get a lot more stuff in mine teehee :mrgreen:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care for Christmas. It has always bummed me out.

Last year, for our first christmas together in our own place, I was such a scrooge. I forbid any decorating. No tree, nothing. I'm sure he was pretty bummed about it. So this year, I told him we'll have a tree, but it's not a typical, traditional one. I bought a 4 foot, pre-lit black one, and I have silver, white, and black ornaments. I also purchased a bunch of MLB White Sox ornaments. So, we will have a White Sox tree this year. I'm actually looking forward to decorating it. :D

I just started a "christmas list" board on Pinterest. Most of my gifts are practical, like Keurig gift certificates, a new North Face hoodie.... stuff like that.
However, I did find a gorgeous ring- the Verragio twisted shank three-stone princess cut ring. My breath literally was taken away when I saw it. I gasped out loud, and M was like, "What's wrong?" And I was like, "Oh, I just stopped myself from sneezing." (I've done that before, so he bought it. :Up_to_something: ) But, when I saw that the band alone starts at 4K, my heart sank. After adding a center stone, I think that ring would be easily 4 times what he mentioned his budget would be. I still thought about pinning it to my christmas board. Chances are, I won't.

I am not sure what I'll get him for Christmas. Money's extremely tight, and not to mention his birthday is in two weeks. So, I have to worry about that first.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I like Christmas in the sense that it's a time to be with your family. I'm not at all religious, but we did presents for many years. This year we are skipping out on presents. Most of my siblings are in school, my sister is saving up for a house that she can hopefully buy before he son starts school, and my parents are trying to save as much as they since the economy hasn't been very nice to them and my mom may lose her job in the next couple of years. I don't really mind as I've always appreciated spending time with them more than anything else. In terms of SO, he is dying for me to spend Christmas with his family, but that means having to get them presents, which is so hard to do for people you don't know all that well. I might hand make something for him since he's not a very material person, or do something romantic, like a candlelit dinner with his favorite dishes. I'm also not expecting anything from SO, as he just bought my engagement ring and still wants us to take a trip together in May, and I'm excited about both those things!

audball

Ideal_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1351975009|3298055 said:
I like Christmas in the sense that it's a time to be with your family. I'm not at all religious, but we did presents for many years. This year we are skipping out on presents. Most of my siblings are in school, my sister is saving up for a house that she can hopefully buy before he son starts school, and my parents are trying to save as much as they since the economy hasn't been very nice to them and my mom may lose her job in the next couple of years. I don't really mind as I've always appreciated spending time with them more than anything else. In terms of SO, he is dying for me to spend Christmas with his family, but that means having to get them presents, which is so hard to do for people you don't know all that well. I might hand make something for him since he's not a very material person, or do something romantic, like a candlelit dinner with his favorite dishes. I'm also not expecting anything from SO, as he just bought my engagement ring and still wants us to take a trip together in May, and I'm excited about both those things!
I agree. It's more about the festive time of the year, the music, the atmosphere, the weather, spending time with family/friends. Togetherness. That's Christmas for me. I'm not a present person. My family started doing a Yankee Swap last year where we each put our names into a hat and the adults only buy one present (~$50) for the person they drew. Everyone still gets presents for the kids. Andrew's Mom liked the idea when I said that's what we did last year so this year both families are doing that. So Andrew and I have to get 4 adult gifts (we each have one for each side of the family) and we have 3 kids total to buy for as well. I'd just assume skip the adult presents altogether and just buy for the kids, but some of the adults really do enjoy the presents, it's just not "us".

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
48 days left!

SO never celebrated Christmas until he met me. His family even joined in the fun one year! Like you ladies, it's more about the decorating, the getting together, the cuddling, and hot cocoa. But I love giving and getting presents. I love wrapping things, and getting surprised.

You gals aren't fun :angryfire:
Why's no one listing their wish list for Santa?

I am wishing for:
- all my grad school apps to be paid for.
- my spring tuition to be paid for.
- a BIG, sturdy purse I can use to hold binders, documents, etc. for grad school.
- gasoline company gift cards.
- a proposal.
- to get an offer from FMIL to move in. I know she's planning it, but she hasn't offered yet. I don't want to wait until marriage.

Too practical? :naughty:

One of my best friend's birthdays is in Dec., near Christmas, and she made a comment about wanting a birthstone Zales ring I don't want anymore, and I snapped that she loses everything! So I'm thinking to make her something that isn't TOO expensive, maybe about $50-100.. so she can practice wearing jewelry.

SO will probably get practical gifts. A stack of gift certificates to the AMC theaters from Costco, probably. That stuff costs us WAY too much if we pay cash per visit! He loved those certificates last year.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We celebrate Hanukkah with my family and Christmas with our friends. I love being able to partake in the celebration of both though both my dh and I are not religious in any way. We are very spiritual and tradition is very important to us. My dh just told me today what is on his wish list for the holidays- Tom Ford Azure Lime- so that's easy. Not sure what's on my list yet. Mainly I just want to get started on the cleanup and rebuilding of our backyard but nothing's happening anytime soon on that front I fear. We buy for my nieces but not for the adults in our family. The kids are a lot of fun to buy for- I really enjoy that. And it's nice spending the holidays with family and friends.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
we aren't big on christmas gifts...geeze I can't believe it's already 48 days!?! I still need to buy SO his birthday present, which is in a few weeks!!! I don't know, I don't have much of a material wish list anymore, but here is what is on my mind at the moment:

1) get a job for next year!!! (that is close to SO)
2) uhhhh idk something sparkly? wouldn't be opposed to a necklace or a DBTY style bracelet or necklace :bigsmile:

that's really it...not hopeful for a proposal yet since we have both talked about wanting to have the job thing settled down before we get to that bridge.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not LIW but I LOVE Christmas. I haven't started shopping yet because I have so many things going on right now (studying for my professional certification, was peer pressured to be a room parent, help SIL with 50th wedding anniversary for my in-laws, in addition to watching 2 boys).

For the boys I'm thinking a bicycle for the oldest and a sandbox for the youngest.
For SO, I'm thinking of a spa-vacation weekend. He's been really stressed out at work.
SIL loves make up so something from ULTA and her SO from Nordstroms since he likes to shop.
Lil nephew is into aliens and I'm not sure what to get him yet.
We're giving my in-laws an anniversary/christmas gift...a cruise to Alaska.
I'll probably get my mom a perfume or a new purse.
My brother...I have no idea.

Here's my wish list...
Running gear (I need new shoes and a new light jacket)
Blender (I broke our old one and miss it)
Kitchen Aid mixer (I love baking)
Food processor (what can I say...I LOVE food)
A weekend getaway without the kids
A day at the spa without interruption
Bling would be nice....ok really nice.

Sooie

Rough_Rock
I LOVVVVVVVVVVVEEE CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Our family has a rock solid tradition of doing x-mas at Grammy's house together. Doesn't matter where you live, you have to come, no exceptions. There is about twenty some of us crammed into a little old house, it's great. This year is even more special, our Grammy is 92. We nearly lost her after she had emergency abdominal surgery a year and a half ago. Now she is pretty much back to normal. We all just adore her and it is so great to have this time with her.

Also my future family in law will be joining us this year. This is so cool, because it will be their first x-mas. They were all raised in a religion that didn't do holidays. They been out for several years, but still never caught onto the holiday business. I've been introducing them to joys of celebrating and believe me, they love it! Also we decided yesterday, that we will have big family Thanksgiving at my FMILs. She is a great cook and loves Thanksgiving. I'm thinking this may become a new family tradition.

I would like to get my guy a mountain bike. I have one and he doesn't. It would be fun to ride together in the winter when it's not too hot outside. For me... I really need a real job. Two and half yrs out of professional school and two flopped jobs. I just keeping looking and waiting for the right practice that needs me... My guy brings in good money, but I feel like a chump. Never in my life dreamed I'd be financially supported by a man. So that puts a damper on how much I can spend on gifts. I was thinking of making glycerin x-mas soaps for presents. I'm definitely making our traditional tamales for everyone too. Yay!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, I thought I was the only one selfish enough to even have a MEMEME moment with Christmas!

Missy - how nice it is that you can celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas! I wish I had Jewish friends.. I'd be all over Hanukkah! I'm just a big ol' holiday lover :bigsmile:

Sooie - that sounds so much fun! My family occasionally gathers around at my grandmother's house, but it's nothing big, and nothing traditional. Some years there's a hotpot, other years, there isn't. How great it is that your future family is joining yours for the holidays! I can't imagine growing up without holidays! I celebrate even the dorkiest of days, like May 4th and March 14. :naughty: Even those dorky "sweethearts' day", "boyfriends day", "grilled cheese day" stuff! :oops: I don't even feel like it's about religion anymore. I'm definitely not religious and most people I know also are not.. and we all celebrate! It's fun to just have an excuse to be big ugly sweater dorks once a year. I hope you have oodles of fun this year, and that your soon-to-be in law's get their socks knocked off! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's health, but am glad she's doing well now. My own grandpa hit the big 9-0 this year, so I am super sensitive about time!

and tamales?? >:) We got ourselves a Mexican or Central/South American here in the house! NOM! I miss when my friend used to bring us all tamales at work!! I think I have got to commemorate that tradition by going out and buying a few dozen :naughty: :naughty: to stock up for a few months.. "stock up" = my excuse to buy DOZENS… even though I'll prob finish them within a week :wink2: OK THIS TAMALE TALK IS MAKING ME HUNGRY.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
46 days to go!

We celebrate Christmas. I've started to think about it a little. I'm in charge of SO's family Secret Santa, I guess I'll give them out soon! I have been comparing the merits of a few fake Christmas trees this past week, I want a non-real colour.

I would like a necklace, but at this stage I think I will leave it for my birthday (March). I have no good ideas for SO yet. We seem to buy each other one big gift. Last night I suggested no presents because we are saving :$$): but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm! We buy gifts for our immediate families, and for my godfamily - 17 in all. Its manageable!

The trickiest part for me is Christmas Day logistics. I wish I could have everyone in the one place like you, Sooie! Your day sounds AWESOME, I'm quite jealous.

The best part is family time, sunshine and decorating. And Christmas movies/music!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I started making a wishlist on amazon :bigsmile: and I got an email a couple days ago about new TOMS shoes...I want a pair of their new wedge boots or the furry boots!! hehehe not sparkly, but I could always use a new pair of shoes! plus they have free shipping from now til the end of the year! I'd love a sparkly but thinking about it more, I don't want to waste any of my or SO's money on cz or bad mall quality stuff, and a nice pendant or DBTY necklace is still kinda out of range since neither of us are working as much anymore with rotations. Like a good PSer, I am stalking preloved to see if anything pops up though ;))

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
We do celebrate Christmas. I have not thought about it much though :tongue:
I know that I will be spending it with SOs family for the first time - mostly as a rejection of spending it with my own family. :tongue: Holy crap is it a sh*tshow EVERY TIME and in the worst way. I will be happy to spend the holiday with my SO and my puppies. We arent huge on gifts, neither of us like spending money on crap... plus we really have everything we want/can justify the price for on principle. We will just be lazy bums and enjoy our last Christmas break off from school (and likely cheering on our team in a BCS bowl?)

As long as I have my freakin ring by Christmas, I'll be fine!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore Christmas, and both DH and my families celebrate it. Typically Christmas Eve is spent with DH's mum and her partner and kids; Christmas dinner is with my parents, my brothers and their partners and some family friends; and the day after on Boxing Day is lunch with DH's dad and stepmum and their kids and extended family. And then dinner back with my family as it is my brother's birthday also. Whew!

We give money to all the kids on DH's side and usually I bake some cupcakes or make a chocolate Christmas tree or some other treat for the adults. My family is into gift-giving a bit more, and rallies around the Chrissy tree after dinner for a bit of good old fashioned present opening :bigsmile:

DH and I hate buying 'stuff' for the sake of it, so we usually splurge on something together for the house for Christmas, like a new couch or TV. This year will be a bit different as we are expecting our first baby on December 6th, so most of our focus will be on him/her! :appl: We often get each other something small too though, like massage or iTunes vouchers.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi|1352520260|3302401 said:
I adore Christmas, and both DH and my families celebrate it. Typically Christmas Eve is spent with DH's mum and her partner and kids; Christmas dinner is with my parents, my brothers and their partners and some family friends; and the day after on Boxing Day is lunch with DH's dad and stepmum and their kids and extended family. And then dinner back with my family as it is my brother's birthday also. Whew!

We give money to all the kids on DH's side and usually I bake some cupcakes or make a chocolate Christmas tree or some other treat for the adults. My family is into gift-giving a bit more, and rallies around the Chrissy tree after dinner for a bit of good old fashioned present opening :bigsmile:

DH and I hate buying 'stuff' for the sake of it, so we usually splurge on something together for the house for Christmas, like a new couch or TV. This year will be a bit different as we are expecting our first baby on December 6th, so most of our focus will be on him/her! :appl: We often get each other something small too though, like massage or iTunes vouchers.

Yay that is so exciting!!! Smart of you to splurge on something together that is useful. Sounds like you guys celebrate pretty low key, I like :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
44 days! We have a few things on our "lists" but they are mostly practical. We're doing our first ever Black Friday shopping together this year to score some new smart phones on a family plan! That's right..we're joining together in a family plan...love the way that sounds! :)

If I'm honest, though, all I REALLY want for Christmas is Andrew and my Sholdt...together...on one knee!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured out what I'm going to get/do for SO! :D
I'll release the R rated details and his reaction after Christmas.. Cus I'm scared he might stumble on my post :oP!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Oooh! Do tell! Boudoir photos perhaps!?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1352596613|3303025 said:

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
I will not confirm nor deny.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1352611446|3303135 said:
audball|1352596613|3303025 said:

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
I will not confirm nor deny.
Me thinks I nailed it!! :appl: :naughty: :Up_to_something:

audball

Ideal_Rock
36 days! I can't believe Thanksgiving is in a few days. The rest of this year is going to fly.

I can say with 100% certainty that 2012 and being 25 have by far by the best year of my life.

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
How did I miss this thread!!

Christmas is HUGE in my family. Everyone makes a list and everyone xmas morning has a pile and a stocking. It could be one big item and then a bunch of little items, or a ton of little items. Everything has to be wrapped, so no gift cards allowed (I think this makes it fun). I love opening presents and watching others open the presents I got them. Birthdays we just usually do a dinner so we always do big items for xmas. This is the first year SO will be with my family xmas morning and I am kind of nervous and scared. I have already got most of his stuff: clothes, shoes, and the 2012 Swaroski crystal snowflake ornament (since this is the year we knew we wanted to spend our lives together) so he will have his own pile. My aunt (who I spend xmas morning with) is making him a stocking and filling it with goodies so he will feel included.

Now to what I want :naughty:
From my family (santa :lol: ) I asked for a red petticoat I fell in love with, black pumps (I recently realized I do not own a classic black pump), and I want to start my ruby collection with a RHR. I told SO just to get me something small bc I know what he spent on the ER and I don't want him to spend a lot on my xmas present as well. I have no idea what he is going to get me, but I have emailed him options so he has some ideas to pull from.

I hope everyone gets everything they ask for on their wish list from Santa and that you have a wonderful Christmas!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Schafenm|1353271964|3309570 said:
I told SO just to get me something small bc I know what he spent on the ER and I don't want him to spend a lot on my xmas present as well.
Umm....RING!? What is this ring of which you speak!? Did you get to help pick it out?! I need MORE DETAILS!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Holy moly, I finally took some down time this weekend and am realizing how soon it will be Christmas!! I'm super excited this year, since BF will be coming home with me for two weeks!! My family celebrates Christmas, and his is Hindu, so luckily there are no hard feelings that he is spending Christmas with my family. We will spend the week after boxing day with his family to make sure everyone gets some quality time.

The last few years we have done just "nuclear" family Christmas instead of with the entire extended fam. The cousins are all getting married and having kids, so my parents' generation is starting to do their own thing with the exception of a dinner some time before the actual day. I just can't wait to take BF up to the cottage, walk along the frozen lake shore, roast marshmallows indoors and just catch up with my sisters. This will be the third time BF's come home with me, but it's always been in the summer before, so this will be special. My "wish list" is pretty practical... a set of hot rollers, and some yarn for my knitting stash... nothing fancy.

I'm so excited to see which ladies get some mega bling this holiday!! :naughty:

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
audball|1353281486|3309671 said:
Schafenm|1353271964|3309570 said:
I told SO just to get me something small bc I know what he spent on the ER and I don't want him to spend a lot on my xmas present as well.
Umm....RING!? What is this ring of which you speak!? Did you get to help pick it out?! I need MORE DETAILS!

Hi audball, yes I got to pick it out. It is an asscher diamond in a simple tapered baguette setting! My aunt has a pear in that setting and I have loved her ring since I was little, so I think it might have influenced me a little :D . It is in the jeweler's safety deposit box and I am just patiently waiting.... I never got to see the finished product though and have't seen anything about it in so long that I know I will still be surprised. I don't know how you do it with your ring in the house. It must be sooo hard. I hope you get your Christmas proposal like you want!! Lots of Christmas dust to you!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Schafenm|1353284110|3309710 said:
Hi audball, yes I got to pick it out. It is an asscher diamond in a simple tapered baguette setting! My aunt has a pear in that setting and I have loved her ring since I was little, so I think it might have influenced me a little :D . It is in the jeweler's safety deposit box and I am just patiently waiting.... I never got to see the finished product though and have't seen anything about it in so long that I know I will still be surprised. I don't know how you do it with your ring in the house. It must be sooo hard. I hope you get your Christmas proposal like you want!! Lots of Christmas dust to you!!!
Sooo exciting! It sounds awesome. And how wonderful that you got to choose it AND be surprised. Jump over to the 'timelines' thread! I'm dying to know if you'll get to reveal your sparkly soon!

And thanks so much :) It is VERY hard having it in the house. I really hope my wait is coming to an end!

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
audball|1353284253|3309712 said:
Schafenm|1353284110|3309710 said:
Sooo exciting! It sounds awesome. And how wonderful that you got to choose it AND be surprised. Jump over to the 'timelines' thread! I'm dying to know if you'll get to reveal your sparkly soon!

And thanks so much :) It is VERY hard having it in the house. I really hope my wait is coming to an end!

Thanks for the invite, but I already posted on that one on page 1 :D . The timeline is April but like everyone else I am hoping I won't have to wait that long!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results