carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Distracts, that is stunning. I love the delicate and intricate detailing in the platinum in the profile shot. The whole thing just looks beautiful. I hope when cleaned the sapphires lighten up a bit too, but if they don't its still beautiful. I'm a big believe in fate, and it sure seems like its right that you should have found it, given your love of sapphires. Do you remember it from your Grandmum wearing it at all?

Enchante

Rough_Rock

Long-time reader, but not active, as takes a while for me to take pictures and get to posting them here. Recently kickstarted my gemstone addiction again, so have tons of eye candy to share.

Bought these 2 Tanzanites a while ago, oval is 8.04ct, and the cushion is 6.84 ct. The oval has very strong blue - almost sapphire-ish. The cushion is blue with purple flashes.

A friend convinced me to sell her the oval Tanzanite, and she had it set into a sliding pendant - very lovely!
(but since it is no longer mine- think it is polite to post only 1 picture - just to fulfil eye candy purposes)

I had my cushion set into a ring - a la legacy style setting, in 18KWG and some melee diamonds. Just got it back from the Jeweller yesterday!
And since this is mine, I can show more pictures of it in action :naughty:

tanzanite_8_04ct.jpg

tanzanite_sliding_pendant.jpg

tanzanite_684_2__800x534_.jpg

tanzanite_684_3__800x532_.jpg

Enchante

Rough_Rock

More pictures, very very very hard to capture the purple flashes......maybe it is my camera settings.

tanzanite_684_6__800x532_.jpg

tanzanite_684_5__800x535_.jpg

tanzanite_684_4__800x534_.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Oh Enchante those are gorgeous! I love the size and halos! Swoon!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Both tanzy's look lovely!

Enchante

Rough_Rock

Thank you Sarahbear and pregcurious, I love the blue colour and the purple flashes, and I think almost all gems benefit from a diamond halo :)

I am current eyeing another huge tanz - 24 carat pear :love:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

I'm happy to chime in that I finally found a sapphire I want to keep 8) It was returned by someone else and I'm so glad it's mine! 6.35 x 6.25 x 4.46mm, AGL basic heat

I tried so many different camera settings and came to the conclusion that my Olympus SZ-30 just SUCKS. This is really the best I could do and please believe that it's even prettier in person. It lights up beautifully in the shade, and though it's not as bright indoors, it always looks nice.

p3290248__800x722_.jpg p3290250__800x734_.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enchante - yet another post luring me into the world of tanzanite! WOW.

Bluebird - Is that the beautiful MCG/Anagee one? It looked so pretty on the website - I was so hoping a PSer bought it! MOAR PICS. I do not care how "bad" your pictures are, lol, they look stunning to me! I am swooning at them right now! It looks way sparklier than it did in Dana's pics!

Jewelfreak and Pregcurious - Thanks! I will for sure post after-cleaning pics.

minousbijoux|1364450641|3415140 said:
Distracts, that is stunning. I love the delicate and intricate detailing in the platinum in the profile shot. The whole thing just looks beautiful. I hope when cleaned the sapphires lighten up a bit too, but if they don't its still beautiful. I'm a big believe in fate, and it sure seems like its right that you should have found it, given your love of sapphires. Do you remember it from your Grandmum wearing it at all?

I don't think they'll lighten up - maybe the little ones, but I was able to get the dirt on the backs of the big ones, just not the dirt in the smaller crevices. I think something stronger than scrubbing with a baby toothbrush would probably be needed, lol. I have NO idea whose it was - it COULD have been my grandmother's from when she was young (she is 95, after all), or it could have easily been her mother's. And judging by the style, I bet it was more likely her mother's. Unfortunately my grandmother's memory is... malfunctioning... so even if she gave me an answer if I asked her, we'd have no way of knowing if it was true. Half the time she can't even remember that she used to make jewelry, which is sad because she did full time for about twenty years. I've always been a little magpie and know the stories about many of the things she owned, even costume pieces, but hadn't ever seen this one before.

I feel bad about having taken it out of order now that I know it was for sure fine jewelry rather than costume (the costume stuff could be picked over at leisure, but fine jewelry everyone takes turns picking at a later date) but... I don't want to give it up. I'll probably give up a turn in the rest of the picking rather than hand the ring back over. The moment I saw it, it felt like mine. I didn't tell anyone I thought it was probably platinum and real sapphires when I picked it up because no one believed me the other day when I said the "silver" tray was just stainless steel, so I didn't think anyone would trust my magic metal-detecting eyes, or whatever. I've just looked at a whole lot of metal things! (Quite the coincidence that recently I've been obsessing over twin stone rings, too - I almost bought one very like this but in yellow gold at the gem show in October and only have a whole ebay watch list full of them!).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, so cool, Distracts! It totally sounds like this was meant to be. And fwiw, you know your family but if you picked this out of the "costume/crap" pile than it shouldn't count as a good one if you KWIM. But, as I said, you know your family best!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluebirrrd|1364613611|3416492 said:
I'm happy to chime in that I finally found a sapphire I want to keep 8) It was returned by someone else and I'm so glad it's mine! 6.35 x 6.25 x 4.46mm, AGL basic heat

I tried so many different camera settings and came to the conclusion that my Olympus SZ-30 just SUCKS. This is really the best I could do and please believe that it's even prettier in person. It lights up beautifully in the shade, and though it's not as bright indoors, it always looks nice.

p3290248__800x722_.jpg p3290250__800x734_.jpg

Gorgeous!
I hope you start a thread, and can I ask where you bought it from?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock

Those anagee sapphires look pretty and bluebird pics are even prettier! I really want to set some of my stones

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Distracts, I looove your story and your beautiful new old ring. It was truly meant to be yours. I hope your family will be happy that you rescued it or it would have been lost forever.

Yes, the sapphire is from MCG, one of the stones Dana has listed for his friend in Sri Lanka. It was discussed in another thread. The poster felt it was too 'purple' and had trouble photographing it accurately, which I definitely understand because I had the same problem. I adore it though and am so thankful it wasn't what he wanted. I've been looking for over a year and don't want to say how many I've bought and returned. This is the first that never goes completely dark or gray. Very hard to find, for me anyway!

To get those 2 photos, I had to take about 50 others that were ridiculously off. The camera and I don't see eye to eye.

I dream of having it set by Sally in a cut corner iolani style halo, but I'd be terrified to send it to her.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Blue! That's a stunning stone! Congrats :D

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

It looks really lovely in your pictures!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful sapphire and even more lovely photos! Love the composition. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Distracts, it's a lovely piece of your family's history. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up.
Enchante, you have some incredibly huge tanzanites!
Blue, congrats on the preloved Dana blue sapphire. Lovely blue with excellent faceting.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Hahaa just had to share this...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Tsavorite?

ninjaturtle.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

:lol: :lol:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dana's sale has ignited a feeding frenzy... I was just saying to someone the other day that I haven't bought anything since before the wedding (over a MONTH) and I was about to burst. Plus I checked the Mint and my husband spent six hundred dollars yesterday on meat for a meat-dry-aging competition (that's a thing now?) so I don't feel like I'm spending excessively on an obscure interest any more than he is.

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6972
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6375

There are several more I want but I'm holding off since I don't know what I'd do with them. These two I have plans for though.

I'm so excited I could puke. Though I may feel that way because I stayed up all night writing essays and just had a glass of scotch. Actually, yeah, that latter bit probably really explains the slightly vommy feeling.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's quite a haul. The zircon has a unique cut and that profile has a cute duck's tail as a culet. :bigsmile: Yummmmm....I see a tsavorite suite with that one. Perhaps a necklace or some sort of bracelet although I'd be more cautious of it being knocked about on the wrist.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

With some sage advice from Chrono I have bit the bullet and purchased a sapphire from Jeff. It will end up being an RB around the 7 to 7.5mm marker. It is unheated/untreated. DH is letting me break the bank this year with bling since I'm turning 30 and we have had some other life events going on. I won't set it for at least a year but with the prices of sapphires going through the roof I thought it was time to buckle down and purchase.

Thank you Chrono again for your guidance! It was invaluable! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good decision, Sarah! :appl:

Every time someone talks about getting a sapphire from Jeff, I think its a wise move because his are so beautiful and for sure heirlooms. The only thing holding me back is the price tag, but you are absolutely right that we should buy now because the prices will continue their upward climb for sure ;( :(sad

SB621

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1369761243|3455117 said:
Good decision, Sarah! :appl:

Every time someone talks about getting a sapphire from Jeff, I think its a wise move because his are so beautiful and for sure heirlooms. The only thing holding me back is the price tag, but you are absolutely right that we should buy now because the prices will continue their upward climb for sure ;( :(sad

He had some smaller heated sapphires that were more budget friendly. Actually Jeff was cheaper then many of the other sapphires I have seen on the market that are native cut.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one 3 years ago when they were still $$ but not like they are now. Oh the shoulda coulda woulda :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Better now that another 3 years later with more shoulda, coulda, woulda. I hope the colour turns out right for you. Based on the pink tourmaline picture vs actual stone, I think the blue sapphire is likely to also be slightly lighter than shown.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1369793850|3455446 said:
Better now that another 3 years later with more shoulda, coulda, woulda. I hope the colour turns out right for you. Based on the pink tourmaline picture vs actual stone, I think the blue sapphire is likely to also be slightly lighter than shown.

I agree. Based off the one picture I have i think it is on the lighter side of what I want now. However, it is still close. I'm afraid down the road if I don't buy the price will be through the roof. Anyhow I do have a contingecy plan. If the stone is light I will probably bezel set it. Hopefully that will make it a bit darker. Regardelss it will go ito a antique or antique repo setting.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

distracts|1369664628|3454415 said:
Dana's sale has ignited a feeding frenzy... I was just saying to someone the other day that I haven't bought anything since before the wedding (over a MONTH) and I was about to burst. Plus I checked the Mint and my husband spent six hundred dollars yesterday on meat for a meat-dry-aging competition (that's a thing now?) so I don't feel like I'm spending excessively on an obscure interest any more than he is.

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6972
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6375

There are several more I want but I'm holding off since I don't know what I'd do with them. These two I have plans for though.

I'm so excited I could puke. Though I may feel that way because I stayed up all night writing essays and just had a glass of scotch. Actually, yeah, that latter bit probably really explains the slightly vommy feeling.

Meat dry aging competition?! Yes, you deserve a spree too.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

I was taking photos of my newest spinel from Tan and thought I'd share a nice little artshot. :D If only it were that color all the time :love: It's a lovely Caucasian pink when it's not being flooded by soft orange light.

_6741.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So the orange made the pink look lavender / lilac coloured? :confused:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1369944328|3456483 said:
So the orange made the pink look lavender / lilac coloured? :confused:

Is it bad that I didn't even notice it was lavender/lilac? I'm wearing a cornflower blue shirt... that must be why it's that color in the not so orangy pink areas

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: My problem is I love to wear black and my camera is black too, so I have to be careful that my medium dark stones don't end up looking black. I love your artsy pictures though. My stones won't sit still for me like that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results