carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

ChrisA222|1371677105|3468878 said:
I never realized I didn't post the two rings that I had made recently....

The red stone is my 2.30ct Rubellite, that I got from Beau Patterson. It was set by Jessi Clark-White of Distinction Jewelry, in .950 Palladium. We worked together on the design. I know, I like bold designs.....

The dark purple stone is a 3ct Spinel from Gene Flanagan. Its a dark steely blue during the day, and a nicer, not as dark Amethyst purple at night. It looks in-between in the pics. This one is set in a standard sterling-silver mount, which Jessi oxidized for me, and set some melee-sized Diamonds that I had aquired over the years.

Both came out great and I reccomend Jessi!!

Next is going to be a 14x10 Namibian Blue Chalcedony, which is going in my mothers old College Ring, which was converted into a Mens ring for me, and needs a cab....this was cut by Ryan Quanz. Ryan is the guy to go to if you need a cabochon!!

Note: these are my personal rings, they have nothing to do with my 'trade' status. Thanks!

I love LOVE that spinel ring! I'm a big fan of oxidized - looks really cool! :o Congrats!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GregS|1373161993|3478340 said:
Does anybody else see the image of a well known pop culture genius in the center of this stone? Initials A.E.

__kgrhqj__iyfdeo_kr-6bq345mntsq__60_12__1_.jpg

Aw, man, I hate when I can't figure it out!!! Please tell us or give us hints. I see the The Elephant Man, the Devil, some character out of the Star Wars movies and Albert Einstein, whose initials happen to be A.E. but somehow I don't think that's who you mean...

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

minousbijoux|1373221655|3478617 said:
Does anybody else see the image of a well known pop culture genius in the center of this stone? Initials A.E.

Aw, man, I hate when I can't figure it out!!! Please tell us or give us hints. I see the The Elephant Man, the Devil, some character out of the Star Wars movies and Albert Einstein, whose initials happen to be A.E. but somehow I don't think that's who you mean...

Minou - I thought Albert Einstein too ! :lol:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

It's totally Albert Einstein. His eyes are obscured, but his mouth, nose, mustache, long white hair... it's all there. :praise:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So doesn't it also look like the evil guy out of one of the Star Wars movies that was like red and black and had horns coming out of his head? I never even saw that movie, but the guy was so evil looking - I think he had red eyes too?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

naum gabo sculpture

gabowoman.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is awesome! Thanks for the divergence, Greg! This is great and maybe we should do it for every stone that people put up... :bigsmile:

VapidLapid|1373244756|3478800 said:
naum gabo sculpture

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Looked like this guy to me

_7831.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah....I must be very unimaginative as I couldn't think up a single person or even a thing. :lol:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Went to the Crested Butte, CO art festival today... Came back with some rather pretty sterling and gemstone items... one uvarovite garnet druzy pendant (picked by my husband) and one leafy pair of earrings with little slightly yellowy but very sparkly tsavorites. Pictures to come next week. I really did try to look for things I liked that weren't green garnets, but the only other things that caught my eye we green beryl and green tourmaline. Evidently I have a problem.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock

Looks like lord voldemort to me or a bald David Bowie. Definitely someone with chisled cheek bones :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

A Sphinx.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Haha! I sorta could see Einstein at first, but now I can't unsee Admiral Ackbar! "It's a trap!"

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Scarlett1|1375521088|3495839 said:

Looks like lord voldemort to me or a bald David Bowie. Definitely someone with chisled cheek bones :lol:

Or George Washington.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just picked up this Persian Turquoise from Dana... just love the robin's egg blue! Did anyone else get anything from Dana's sale?

mcg_-_6.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

marymm|1375628088|3496361 said:
I just picked up this Persian Turquoise from Dana... just love the robin's egg blue! Did anyone else get anything from Dana's sale?

mcg_-_6.jpg

OOOOHHHH! I love this blue, SO pretty! :love: Do you have any setting plans? Congrats!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jbkhere|1375632928|3496406 said:
marymm|1375628088|3496361 said:

mcg_-_6.jpg

OOOOHHHH! I love this blue, SO pretty! :love: Do you have any setting plans? Congrats!

Thanks! Setting-wise, right now I am thinking an oxidized textured sterling shank with high-carat yellow gold bezel, and maybe a tiny square step-cut white diamond bezel-kite-set on each shoulder? I'll know better what might work once the stone is in hand... a Persian Turquoise has been on my list for several years now so I'm really looking forward to getting this in the mail this week.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

I can't wait to see!! I've really been liking the look of oxidized silver lately too!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I've been a little busy...

img_20130715_175047.jpg

j2w_yax648ad.jpg

_t2ec16rhjhcffk_j_eyjbrzbqt1qmq__60_3.jpg

430169_10151727844039357_1993190019_n.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nice, jstar! What are the stats on the demantoid?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

It's 0.83ct and about 5.5x5.8mm wide if memory serves me...? Namibian, from Jeff Davies. The dispersion is out of this world!

ETA: I don't have any plans for it at the moment - maybe a Tiffany Sparklers-style necklace? As for the rest, I've already set the opal in a Daniel M band ring (see the Daniel M goodies thread for a link), and I bought the little alex for a particular setting I like from Sally. I also have a gorgeous robin's egg blue supernova tourmaline that I'm sending to Sally when the alex comes in - that will go in a lotus ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jstar: What what?!! Love the alex, love the demantoid, love the Barry blue. Damn, I'd love to be "busy" like you! :love:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Hehe, yeah, I kinda went on a shopping spree when I graduated and got a real job! The alex was a total impulse buy. I've wanted this setting from Sally for the longest time:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/41971367/bella-handforged-sterling-and-18k-gold?ref=shop_home_feat

But I didn't have a 3-5mm round stone (surprisingly, since that's what I tend to keep buying...they're just all set!). So I was chatting with another PSer who gave me the idea of kite-setting a square stone, ended up browsing Multicolour, and that little guy just screamed BUY MEEEEE!!!!! It's only 2.6mm square, which makes the diagonal about 3.7mm - perfect for that setting if I kite-set it. The tiny size made such a gorgeous color change affordable. It almost looks too good to be true, but I trust David/Multicolour and believe he wouldn't sell anything synthetic, at least not without disclosing it. It was listed as natural and Brazilian.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love good Brazilian alex, and it sure looks like your little guy will be no exception! If it packs as much punch as it appears to, it will look lovely in that setting. Please post pics when you get him (or her) in hand. :praise:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marymm,
That turquoise makes me want to put it back in the nest.

JBstar,
Lovely lovely stones and you made me go check MC for more alexandrite. I am now debating getting a matched pair for a bypass ring but do I really need more stones? I got an entire boatload yet to be set. 3 mm is kinda small though...

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Marymm that turq is gorgeous!!!! Oh please tell me you are going to set it in a high karat gold!!! :lickout:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Oh, no doubt it's tiny, but I was specifically looking for a 3-4mm stone for Sally's Bella setting, so it fit the bill perfectly! MC has some great alexandrite right now, but it's not cheap! These are making me drool...FAR outside of the price range by manyfold, of course, but they're awesome!
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/msax1122aa/&930512007
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax679aa/&930512007

And in the slightly less unattainable range, I like these:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax682aa/&930512007
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax701ag/&930512007

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

BUMPING! Someone must have a project going right now!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just dropped off my torraca red/pink spinel with my jeweler today!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I have a ton of projects! Right now I'm working on...

1) 3 pieces from Sally: Robin's egg blue tourmaline supernova lotus with rose gold head, square Brazilian alex Bella ring sized for my middle finger, and a simple silver pendant made from a black tourmaline I found on a gem dig.

2) Stackers for my mom, just completed by Jill Anish. Australian black opal and trillion-cut lavender spinel in simple silver bezels. Pics here: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/152583821

3) Tanzanite from Prima being set by my local jeweler in a simple yellow gold 6-prong knife edge.

4) Two aquas and two black tourmalines my mom and I found on the gem dig - the aquas are being cabbed by a guy I met on the dig, and the tourmalines are being faceted by Dan Stair. Not sure what I'll do with them since I have to see them first.

5) Just finished setting a Barry blue spinel in a simple 4-prong basket pendant. It's just 5.6mm but packs a punch of color, and almost exactly matches the one in a ring I bought from another PSer.

6) Still have an unset Jeff Davies demantoid and Art Cut Gems spinel!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results