shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Same stone photographed under a combination of incandescent and halogen lighting:

CIMG2858.JPG

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock

Natural daylight. Northern light through a window on a sunny day. Silk is visible from this angle. Please ignore dog hair!

CIMG2956.JPG

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Just wanted to bump this thread :D

I've been on a green kick

tgt green zircon 027.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bought this 3 carat 8.5 mm aqua from Barry a few weeks ago and love it! It's a pretty saturated stone with a hint of green in it that I really like.

aq-7445g_1546_general.jpg

AQ-7445gl.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

baby nurse|1325213680|3091163 said:
I bought this 3 carat 8.5 mm aqua from Barry a few weeks ago and love it! It's a pretty saturated stone with a hint of green in it that I really like.

I wondered who got that! I love the color (and the glamour shot :D ). Plans?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that aqua too, and wondered who got it. I'd love to see some hand shots!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi_el_mejor|1324598264|3087093 said:

The sapphire and red stone (spinel??) would make for a great bypass ring.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1325259577|3091515 said:

Wouldn't they!?! The blue pear is actually a Tanzanite and the pink pear is a rockin pink spinel with hot hot hot fluor. One of my faves :D

BN- That aqua is YUMMY. Do you have it in hand yet?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aoife|1325253657|3091434 said:
baby nurse|1325213680|3091163 said:

I wondered who got that! I love the color (and the glamour shot :D ). Plans?

Thank you Aoife! It will definitely be set in rose gold. I'm a huge fan of yellow and rose gold and I think rose gold would really complement the aqua color. I do like a bit of diamond in a ring but I may keep it simpler to save some $$. I'd like to have it set by Hunt Country Jewelers, where Kelpie had her pink tourmaline asscher set, and also her oval mint garnet.

Or, I may have it set into JbEG's Sophie.

sophie.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NKOTB|1325259470|3091511 said:
I love that aqua too, and wondered who got it. I'd love to see some hand shots!

Thanks, NKOTB! I will try to get some pics of it over the next few days.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi_el_mejor|1325275238|3091727 said:
TL|1325259577|3091515 said:

Wouldn't they!?! The blue pear is actually a Tanzanite and the pink pear is a rockin pink spinel with hot hot hot fluor. One of my faves :D

BN- That aqua is YUMMY. Do you have it in hand yet?

Thank you, davi! Yes, I do have it. I got it about 3 weeks ago and carried it around in my pocket for a week, looking at it in different lighting to try to figure out whether I should keep it. My reluctance had nothing to do with the beauty of the stone, I felt a little bit guilty about the cost. But a nicely saturated aqua is hard to find so I decided to keep it :)) !

I could stare at that picture of your collection all day... mesmerizing :loopy:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

baby nurse|1325309997|3092094 said:
Thank you Aoife! It will definitely be set in rose gold. I'm a huge fan of yellow and rose gold and I think rose gold would really complement the aqua color. I do like a bit of diamond in a ring but I may keep it simpler to save some $$. I'd like to have it set by Hunt Country Jewelers, where Kelpie had her pink tourmaline asscher set, and also her oval mint garnet.

Or, I may have it set into JbEG's Sophie.

Rose gold will look amazing against the aqua! I love the Sophie setting, but, like you, I think a few diamonds in a ring really adds something. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

my new next door neighbor. Cant weight to go borrow a cup of diamonds!

106.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I haven't been on PS as much as usual, but I bought the demantoid from Gene and boulder opal pair from Barry. The demantoid has a few eye-visible inclusions, but it's a good size and a really lovely color (I actually prefer it over the neon green Russian stones) and has stunning dispersion. Opal is my birthstone, but I don't have a lot of nice ones. I'm thinking they'll make a show-stopping pair of dangle earrings.

pl_3_detail_1.png

op-7486g_2184_detail.jpg

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Love the opals, you're right that they'll be awesome for earrings.

I "won" this blue spinel on Barry's last drop, but it's my first spinel and I wasn't actually happy with it when it arrived. The cut and polish are gorgeous and it performs beautifully in natural light, especially bright shade. I spend a lot of time indoors though, where it basically just looks dark and lifeless. I went ahead and sent it back. Please excuse the specs and dust in the photos. Although the color is a bit different in each, I didn't alter them at all. If it looked that lovely in all light, I'd have been thrilled and already had a setting all picked out.

P1090018.jpg

P1090019.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The blue spinel photographs beautifully. Do you have a pic of it when it didn't look good?

I had a similar experience with a GemFix blue spinel about a month ago... it went completely dark in many light conditions, which was a bummer. I returned it, and now I'll be extra careful buying blue spinels.

- Anya

cherrytomato1

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, I'm waiting for my first ever colored stone project to be completed! Stephen of Mastergoldcraft on Etsy is creating a ring with my 1.75 carat 7.1 x 7.1 asscher aquamarine cut by Gary Braun of Finewater gems (although I bought from the bistro a while back) based on this mimiso solitare. Hopefully it should be done soon!

mimiso solitare.png

my aqua.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You just can't go wrong with an asscher - some day my asscher ship will come... :naughty:

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb|1325826316|3096280 said:
I haven't been on PS as much as usual, but I bought the demantoid from Gene and boulder opal pair from Barry. The demantoid has a few eye-visible inclusions, but it's a good size and a really lovely color (I actually prefer it over the neon green Russian stones) and has stunning dispersion. Opal is my birthstone, but I don't have a lot of nice ones. I'm thinking they'll make a show-stopping pair of dangle earrings.

Those are really pretty! I love the idea of dangle earrings for those opals. Opal is my birthstone too. I don't have one, but I've been looking on and off for a black opal.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a thing about pear shaped stones and so couldn't resist buying this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350520863291?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm hoping it will be a neon chartreuse!

Then from Tan's Odyssey website I bought a blue sapphire - unfortunately he's removed it from his website so I've only got his video saved (I think this is 2.75ct from memory but can't check) and here are some stills from the video!

Sapphire video-71.jpg

Chrysoberyl-0.jpg

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

LD, Nice Pears! I love pears too. I really like that yellow! The video shows nice saturation. :twirl:
~Justin

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD,
I love the blue and yellow next to each other, you know what I'm thinking, BYPASS!!! :appl: :naughty:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Burberrygirl|1326618784|3103326 said:
jstarfireb|1325826316|3096280 said:

Those are really pretty! I love the idea of dangle earrings for those opals. Opal is my birthstone too. I don't have one, but I've been looking on and off for a black opal.

Thanks, Burberry and bluebirrd! I had to go through a few Etsy people to find one courageous enough to set these, but I eventually found one. These are boulder opals, so they consist of a very thin vein of opal over an ironstone matrix. They look like a doublet, but Barry assured me they were completely natural. If you're looking for solid black opal, check out the vendor that MTG bought hers from:

http://www.blackopalworld.com/

There are a few in the under $200 section that look stunning!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Justin_Cutter|1326655185|3103529 said:
LD, Nice Pears! I love pears too. I really like that yellow! The video shows nice saturation. :twirl:
~Justin

Thanks Justin. Funnily enough I'd been collecting for years and then somebody said "what's your favourite cut" and I thought I didn't have one. Then I looked at my collection and thought "oh, well perhaps it's a pear cut seeing I have tons of them"! :bigsmile: I just seem to be drawn to them and they call me! I've got high hopes for the Chrysoberyl too. Not such high hopes for the Sapphire because I'm not lucky with Tan's sapphires but we'll see.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1326656259|3103544 said:
LD,
I love the blue and yellow next to each other, you know what I'm thinking, BYPASS!!! :appl: :naughty:

You are such a monkey! You know I don't mix gemstones AND won't wear a bypass! It's funny because I really appreciate other bypass rings and like you, spotted Davi's pears and thought that the pink/green pear combo would be excellent for one! So great minds think alike - just we've picked different colours!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, LD! They are both absolutely stunning, I can't wait to see pics of that sapphire in hand...just gorgeous. :love:
The chryso looks as though it could light up the room :sun:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD|1326664147|3103638 said:
TL|1326656259|3103544 said:
LD,

You are such a monkey! You know I don't mix gemstones AND won't wear a bypass! It's funny because I really appreciate other bypass rings and like you, spotted Davi's pears and thought that the pink/green pear combo would be excellent for one! So great minds think alike - just we've picked different colours!

Well, I have a sapphire, chrysoberyl ring coming up in the very very near future. Maybe I can change your mind (or not!!). :twisted:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

LD & TL you ladies crack me up! :) I love you both!
~Justin

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And this is the one going between the chrysoberyls (showing off its luster).

;))

TLroundsapphireluster2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results