shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Oh...oh...OH! While I luuurve slightly deeper sapphires my heart does do a little skip when it sees that lovely lighter colour - definitely, no make that definitely, covet your and LD's lighter lovelies. (Where's the "tongue hanging out" smiley when you need it?)

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

TL|1326686510|3103943 said:
And this is the one going between the chrysoberyls (showing off its luster).

;))

OMG, I love that color!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1326686510|3103943 said:
And this is the one going between the chrysoberyls (showing off its luster).

;))

TL I am happy to live vicariously through you to satiate my need for eye candy multi coloured rings! Long way of saying, love it on you but not on me! :naughty:

Justin - TL and I are available for weddings :naughty: , birthdays, or generally any other social gathering! :lol: Payment of course must be in gemstones!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Eeerrrm...you're absolutely sure now... :naughty:

bypass-pear-dia.png

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Here's something that will be coming to me before long from Sally at HOWJ. A violet cushion spinel from Tan in white gold, a sapphire from Wildfishgems in yellow gold and a diamond from diamond-delights in rose gold.

stack1.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

:love:

The violet cushion spinel looks pretty blue. Looking forward to pics!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GemFever|1327530969|3111681 said:
:love:

The violet cushion spinel looks pretty blue. Looking forward to pics!!
:appl: :appl: :appl:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Pics will definitely be coming, as soon as I have these beauties on my fingers. :bigsmile: The spinel is very similar to the one that I have in my wedding ring, mainly blue, with some violet overtones. I can't wait to see these in real life!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Being bored at work is baaaaaaad... or good :naughty:

t-7513g_748_detail.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi_el_mejor|1328150635|3116932 said:

Beautiful! He had so many nice stones up tonight!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

NKOTB|1328152539|3116962 said:
davi_el_mejor|1328150635|3116932 said:

Beautiful! He had so many nice stones up tonight!

Yeah he did! Glad he had some smaller stones this time :D I was debating on the slightly larger blue green tourm, but when I checked on it, it was already sold, made my decision easier LOL

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know, while I very much like the quality of Barry's cutting, I think I'm over it. The drops are too much and have warn thin, and it seems he does three shapes: round, the modified cushion (or whatever he calls it) and the supernova. I guess I've just moved on, but it sure makes me happy when people like you, Davi, are successful in "scoring" something you love from his drop.

happybear

Shiny_Rock

minousbijoux said:
You know, while I very much like the quality of Barry's cutting, I think I'm over it. The drops are too much and have warn thin, and it seems he does three shapes: round, the modified cushion (or whatever he calls it) and the supernova. I guess I've just moved on, but it sure makes me happy when people like you, Davi, are successful in "scoring" something you love from his drop.

MB,
You can contact Barry directly if you want something specific. He'll get back to you if he has something that fits your requirement. Now that he does his 'drop' once a month instead of weekly, he can take up more of such request. Don't be shy in dropping him a mail! :rodent: I've given up on getting anything from his 'drop' too...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the suggestion, Happybear! In the past i have done exactly that and specially requested things from him. But I guess I've just graduated to other cutters who often have gems of greater carat weight with more elaborate shapes with a wider assortment of gem species to offer...the affliction doesn't end, its just upgraded... :bigsmile:

So HB, don't you have a gem box full of gems you want to share?!! Heh, heh. :naughty:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1328167984|3117098 said:
The reason he cuts those shapes ALL OF THE TIME are because those are what sells, because they are easy to set in stock settings. Gene has said this before too, and I'm sure the other cutters have felt the same. Fancy shape stones just sit around.

For example: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=80&idproduct=3373

That bright pink spinel has been sitting on his site for over a year.

This spinel: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=80&idproduct=2713

That spinel has been sitting there since Barbara owned the site and since I was a newbie here on PS. That was about 4 years ago.

As far as the rest of the spinels, the first four stones on the spinel page, one oval is sold, the 2 triangles have been there since Barbara owned it, as well as the other oval. And they probably haven't sold because they aren't precision cut.

I've considered the two spinels whose pictures I've attached, but I cannot figure out how the heck I'd set them. And I know I'm not alone. So they sit there. And he continues to cut rounds, supernovas and cushions to help save people from creating custom settings.

sp-8057g_1577_general.jpg

sp-8016g_1581_general.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will never tire of Barry's gems :sun: ! I'm sorry that the new stones will only be posted once a month but relieved that I don't have to fight temptation quite so often, lol!

So when do we get to see your new blue stone, Freke?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

baby nurse|1328217438|3117607 said:
I will never tire of Barry's gems :sun: ! I'm sorry that the new stones will only be posted once a month but relieved that I don't have to fight temptation quite so often, lol!

So when do we get to see your new blue stone, Freke?
New blue stone? This one?

IMG_2396-1.JPG

IMG_2403-1.JPG

IMG_2391-1.JPG

IMG_2410-1.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my gosh, that's beautiful! Is that a blue topaz? What a gorgeous setting! Is this your push present? Off to check your threads...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1328178915|3117135 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, Happybear! In the past i have done exactly that and specially requested things from him. But I guess I've just graduated to other cutters who often have gems of greater carat weight with more elaborate shapes with a wider assortment of gem species to offer...the affliction doesn't end, its just upgraded... :bigsmile:

So HB, don't you have a gem box full of gems you want to share?!! Heh, heh. :naughty:

Fair enough - there's a niche for everyone. I personally seek out gems of smaller carat weight and am thrilled when Barry cuts a nice 5-6mm calibrated round or oval gem that will sit in a great inexpensive non-custom setting. It's the only way I can afford to enjoy a variety of beautiful gemstones.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I guess it seems kind of monotonous, especially since there is so much hype and frenzied competition about the drops. However I will say that barry does what barry does really really well. The rounds I have impress me because most of the brilliant pavilion colored stone rounds I see are just too shallow for the stone type. One cannot cut a stone with a 1.7-1.8 RI in a diamond cut and expect good performance. Barry makes up for that, and compensates for the making up by raising the crown even higher. some people describe this as chunky. Regardless it makes for spinels and tourmalines and garnets that have better performance, and because of that, more nuanced color. I can't fault him for not being X, just as I can't fault harry winstone for not being graff.

I did not realize there would be only one drop a month now. Im still unable to adjust to mountain time and always miss the drop.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I carved a new anvil stake this week, for hammering gold and silver. it is Lignum Vitae. about 3 inches across, 2 inches high, and fits the 20mm hardy hole of my 91 pound anvil. IT is a funny three horned anvil, but I think it will have many useful surfaces.

lignumstake.jpg

lignumstake1.jpg

lignumstake2.jpg

lignumstake3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

baby nurse|1328226345|3117768 said:
Oh my gosh, that's beautiful! Is that a blue topaz? What a gorgeous setting! Is this your push present? Off to check your threads...
I haven't made one for it. In fact, I haven't made any threads for anything I've had made or bought in quite a while. :((

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow, that is a beautiful ring.

And a cool anvil, too :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, VL I love your anvil stake - the wood is lovely and it looks like it will ward off all evil spirits too.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid|1328234137|3117912 said:
However I will say that barry does what barry does really really well. The rounds I have impress me because most of the brilliant pavilion colored stone rounds I see are just too shallow for the stone type. One cannot cut a stone with a 1.7-1.8 RI in a diamond cut and expect good performance. Barry makes up for that, and compensates for the making up by raising the crown even higher. some people describe this as chunky. Regardless it makes for spinels and tourmalines and garnets that have better performance, and because of that, more nuanced color..

I completely agree with you on this - and if I'm ever looking for a stone of a certain size (maybe its a problem that I don't), I know it will be ideally cut if from Barry.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1328241557|3118022 said:
baby nurse|1328226345|3117768 said:
I haven't made one for it. In fact, I haven't made any threads for anything I've had made or bought in quite a while. :((

I can appreciate that! I have purchases from a year and a half ago that I have yet to start threads on :oops:

Congratulations on the safe delivery of your little gal! I hope you're all adjusting well. I remember the first few months as a bit of a blur but with a lot of really special moments.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nice anvil stake vapid!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mariedtiger|1327523501|3111567 said:
Here's something that will be coming to me before long from Sally at HOWJ. A violet cushion spinel from Tan in white gold, a sapphire from Wildfishgems in yellow gold and a diamond from diamond-delights in rose gold.

Beautiful set; can't wait to see the new violet cushion in more pictures again soon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid|1328237908|3117976 said:
I carved a new anvil stake this week, for hammering gold and silver. it is Lignum Vitae. about 3 inches across, 2 inches high, and fits the 20mm hardy hole of my 91 pound anvil. IT is a funny three horned anvil, but I think it will have many useful surfaces.

VL,
When I first saw the pictures without reading your post, I thought you'd decided to try your hand at some sort of modern carving, like that bowl I still remember very clearly. :lol: That bowl (and wood) is truly beautiful.

happybear

Shiny_Rock

minousbijoux|1328178915|3117135 said:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
My gem box is just full of sub-par gems, since I just started this (expensive) hobby and have very limited budget :???:
But since you mentioned, here it is... :mrgreen:

Barry's stones are in the three left boxes in the middle row. I didn't even realized I had seven of them! Actually it is eight, since I have a purple spinel pendant from Barry too.

IMG_5640.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results