shape
carat
color
clarity

Besides Covid...What other vaccinations have you took in the past 5 yrs?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
In my previous job, I traveled as part of a global health team to Central and South America. Before I could go, I had to show that I was vaccinated for Hep A and Hep B, Tdap, measles, and mumps (MMR). We were warned that we may be exposed to Dengue, Chagas, Zika, and other tropical diseases that have no vaccine (I believe the first Dengue vaccine for one of the four strains was made available in 2021), as well as tuberculosis (TB).

We always took the local public health nurse with us to whatever remote village we were traveling to, so he/she could administer vaccines. Parents and children stood in line for hours to receive these vaccines for themselves and their kids. Many families in low resource countries lose children to preventable diseases before the age of 5. These countries view their childhood vaccine rates as a measure of prosperity, and they are proud of their vaccine rates. I wish every anti-vaxxer could see what I saw in clinic -- you'd never take vaccines for granted again. To me, the anti-vax movement in the U.S. reeks of privilege.

I've also been vaccinated against pneumococcal pneumonia, and polio. I receive a yearly flu shot (required by my employer). Many health care places I've worked required TB tests. I'll get my first Shingrix shot later this year.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second Shingrix was worse than the first and equal in side effects to my second Moderna so not horrible. A fever and aches and chills for 24 hours maybe. By the next day I was feeling much better.

Oh boy. I'm not sure I can take a 2nd Shingrix that's worse than the first. I will, of course, but I'll plan on doing nothing for several days after. The first Shingrix had me wiped out for 5 days.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pneumonia, whooping cough, Shingrix, flu, 3 covid, booster Hep B. Most Drs recommend all grandparents get pertussis shot before seeing their first grandchild. Whooping cough is deadly to small children.
Never heard anything like that from our Dr. , besides our Dr. wouldn't know our DDs were expecting a child.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My SIL is a nurse practitioner so my in laws all received pertussis boosters before my son was born. My OBGYN and pediatrician both reminded us that grandparents or anyone who will be seeing the infant the first few months should be updated on pertussis, and that they should have all their titers tested. My brother was not allowed to be around for a while because he didn't have measles immunity anymore, and there was a massive measles outbreak around here. (The 2014-15 Disneyland outbreak) There were quite a few community cases in my area, several patients who were too young to receive MMR were patients in my pediatrician's office.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never heard anything like that from our Dr. , besides our Dr. wouldn't know our DDs were expecting a child.

It's the expectant mother's doctor and /or midwife and/or pediatricians and/or delivery team at the hospital who inform the parents of the newborn (and in some cases visiting relatives directly) about the necessity of everyone being à jour on their vaccination schemes.

Pertussis, for example is very dangerous for newborns. So going to see one's new grandchild in a hospital without the necessary vaccinations wouldn't be just very ignorant it would put other newborns at risk as well. Which would be beyond selfish and appalling.

And a good family doctor would hopefully also tell you this if he knew your daughter was expecting. Obviously, if you never told him/her, she wouldn't be able to advise you regarding this.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pertussis, for example is very dangerous for newborns. So going to see one's new grandchild in a hospital without the necessary vaccinations wouldn't be just very ignorant it would put other newborns at risk as well. Which would be beyond selfish and appalling.
Our daughter's Dr. should had warn her about Pertussis before we visited our grandbabies at the hospital.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL is a nurse practitioner so my in laws all received pertussis boosters before my son was born. My OBGYN and pediatrician both reminded us that grandparents or anyone who will be seeing the infant the first few months should be updated on pertussis,
Just spoke with my wife... said was vaccinated for whooping cough before our first grandkid was born.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So she knew & got vaccinated, but you didn't get vaccinated, but went to the hospital anyway???

At the time she happened to be in the Dr's office for a check up so she got vaccinated for Pertussis b/c she was coughing a lot at night. Oh please, I'm sure every grandparent was vaccinated before they held their grandbabies... :rolleyes:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the time she happened to be in the Dr's office for a check up so she got vaccinated for Pertussis b/c she was coughing a lot at night. Oh please, I'm sure every grandparent was vaccinated before they held their grandbabies... :rolleyes:

Well not every grandparent as we have just determined.

Just the responsible ones. The roll eye doesn't make the story one bit better.

Your story doesn't hold together very well and you know it.

Bowing out now . Don't want to get dragged into any mud slinging

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Lol, my mom was coming back from a huge convention in Vegas the day I gave birth, and I made her stay away for 2 weeks in case she brought the flu home.

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
I wish every anti-vaxxer could see what I saw in clinic -- you'd never take vaccines for granted again. To me, the anti-vax movement in the U.S. reeks of privilege.

Thank you for saying this. I wholeheartedly agree.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my previous job, I traveled as part of a global health team to Central and South America. Before I could go, I had to show that I was vaccinated for Hep A and Hep B, Tdap, measles, and mumps (MMR). We were warned that we may be exposed to Dengue, Chagas, Zika, and other tropical diseases that have no vaccine (I believe the first Dengue vaccine for one of the four strains was made available in 2021), as well as tuberculosis (TB).

We always took the local public health nurse with us to whatever remote village we were traveling to, so he/she could administer vaccines. Parents and children stood in line for hours to receive these vaccines for themselves and their kids. Many families in low resource countries lose children to preventable diseases before the age of 5. These countries view their childhood vaccine rates as a measure of prosperity, and they are proud of their vaccine rates. I wish every anti-vaxxer could see what I saw in clinic -- you'd never take vaccines for granted again. To me, the anti-vax movement in the U.S. reeks of privilege.

I've also been vaccinated against pneumococcal pneumonia, and polio. I receive a yearly flu shot (required by my employer). Many health care places I've worked required TB tests. I'll get my first Shingrix shot later this year.

Yup, I worked at a health clinic and we got tested every year for TB. It was not optional. And we had to get the flu vaccine yearly as well. Or don't work there.

I agree those (for the most part) who continue to refuse to get vaccinated in the USA are coming from extreme privilege. People in other countries are desperate to get vaccinated and here so many just want to wait and watch and see what happens. Wow.

Those in the USA who continue to refuse to get vaccinated destroy the sacrifices we have all made together to end the pandemic. By not doing your part to reduce the risks, you increase the risks for all of us. Do you hear me? No matter how you rationalize it this is a fact.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results