shape
carat
color
clarity

Besides Covid...What other vaccinations have you took in the past 5 yrs?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean the last 50 yrs? :silenced: As far as I can can remember? :think: it was in 1969, and IDK what it was for I was too young to know. Maybe it was for the HK flu ? after I had the HK flu. The last time I caught the flu was 40 yrs ago. I am drug free.

If you emigrated to the US - legally - any time after about 1900, you’ve had the smallpox vaccine. If you went to school in the US in the early 1960’s, you’ve had the polio vaccine. It might even have been administered in your classroom, in a sugar cube.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you emigrated to the US - legally - any time after about 1900, you’ve had the smallpox vaccine. If you went to school in the US in the early 1960’s, you’ve had the polio vaccine. It might even have been administered in your classroom, in a sugar cube.
Yes I'd remember taking these at the Dr's office in 1966.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, I’m surprised your daughters let you around their newborns without getting the Pertussis vaccine.

That was a HUGE one for me ( I had it at 21 and it was AWFUL). I got the vaccine while pregnant and I didn't let my newborns near anyone who didn't get a booster until they got their own shots. I did the same with the flu shot since I have winter babies.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was a HUGE one for me ( I had it at 21 and it was AWFUL). I got the vaccine while pregnant and I didn't let my newborns near anyone who didn't get a booster until they got their own shots. I did the same with the flu shot since I have winter babies.

It was a huge deal for my nieces when they had their babies. Their OB stressed everyone spending time with the baby needed to be vaccinated before the baby was born.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had whooping cough as a child and I can distinctly remember coughing and coughing at night.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean you didn't vaccinate them throughout their lives?
Of course we did. Their vaccination cards must be up to date before they can start kindergarten.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course we did. Their vaccination cards must be up to date before they can start kindergarten.

Right. If the US vaccination schedule is anything like ours, your kids would have received a series of DTaP.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right. If the US vaccination schedule is anything like ours, your kids would have received a series of DTaP.
Whatever was required ...:read:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, I would think your daughter needed vaccinations to go to school. You get this vaccine every 10 years.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, I would think your daughter needed vaccinations to go to school. You get this vaccine every 10 years.
They started kindergarten at the age of 5 and 6. I don't remember them taken any vaccination at the age of 15 or 16. :confused: However, I'd remember DD#1 was required to take the Meningitis shot before she can attend college at the age of 17.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe this is helpful, it has lists of the recommended vaccines over the years:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have. I had shingles in my face and was advised against having the vaccine. Thank you for your concern. :))

that's interesting. Is it because they were in your face? My mother had shingles and got them more than once. It was pre-vaccine for her. My friends who have had them (not on their face or in their throats) were all told to get the vax.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pneumonia, whooping cough, Shingrix, flu, 3 covid, booster Hep B. Most Drs recommend all grandparents get pertussis shot before seeing their first grandchild. Whooping cough is deadly to small children.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my first Shingrix last week. Not gonna lie, it flattened me, and the same happened with my 2nd Moderna. If anything, Shingrix was worse. I will be due for the COVID booster at the same time as the 2nd Shingrix dose. I plan on the Moderna first and 3 weeks later the Shingrix.

I have a very robust immune system. I have not had a cold in over 20 years, or flu in over 30. This was during my time as a nurse, exposed to you name it, and my time with my little kids, aka petri dishes. I have had single days where I ran a fever of unknown origin. I let it burn and within 24 hours I was fine, no other symptoms.

So apparently I'm a great candidate for a strong reaction to these vaccines - but I still get them because it's the smart thing to do.

But next time I'm getting the Shingrix on a week where I don't have a wedding to attend.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had shingles twice in the roof of my mouth. I had the previous shingles shot but I guess it wore off. I got the Shingrix ASAP.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How was rabies? I have the rest but need Yellow Fever and was debating rabies.

Lost our yellow fever proof of shots and, as it was back in 1981, the clinic does not have the records. Doing research it says that 60 + year old should not get the yellow fever shot. Have you heard this?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very robust immune system. I have not had a cold in over 20 years, or flu in over 30. This was during my time as a nurse, exposed to you name it, and my time with my little kids, aka petri dishes. I have had single days where I ran a fever of unknown origin. I let it burn and within 24 hours I was fine, no other symptoms.
hi501.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So apparently I'm a great candidate for a strong reaction to these vaccines - but I still get them because it's the smart thing to do.

I think that's a good sign. I, too, have a very strong reaction to most vaccines. That means we are reacting and building antibodies to said disease. It's good to have a reaction. It means it's working.

I know you know that but just writing it for those lurkers who might not realize getting a reaction means the vaccine is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

Shingrix also flattened me. As did dose 2 of Moderna. And I would do it all again and probably will have to. Thank goodness these vaccines exist. They are literally life saving.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lost our yellow fever proof of shots and, as it was back in 1981, the clinic does not have the records. Doing research it says that 60 + year old should not get the yellow fever shot. Have you heard this?

Lambie, are you considering going to a place that mandates the yellow fever vax? I had mine in the mid/late 90s (can't remember off the top of my head right now) and I was under the impression it is a lifetime event. So if you need the paper that's one thing (and that's a bummer your clinic doesn't have the records!), but if you're worried about coverage I believe you should be OK. Of course I'm not a doctor so take this info with a grain of salt! I'm just mentioning this because I had the conversation about YF coverage with the nurse at the Northwestern travel clinic when I had to get certain things for an Africa trip a few years ago and we talked about yellow fever.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A single dose provides lifelong protection for most people.

The question I think that is important for you before you travel- is there a blood test to show if you are still protected against yellow fever? Since not everyone is protected for life after the vaccine.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's a good sign. I, too, have a very strong reaction to most vaccines. That means we are reacting and building antibodies to said disease. It's good to have a reaction. It means it's working.

I know you know that but just writing it for those lurkers who might not realize getting a reaction means the vaccine is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

Shingrix also flattened me. As did dose 2 of Moderna. And I would do it all again and probably will have to. Thank goodness these vaccines exist. They are literally life saving.

Exactly! I'll be doing my Moderna booster and 3nd shingrix even though I know the results will be less than pleasant. It's important to remember that the actual diseases are much, much worse.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And the ironic thing was that I was hanging around some very sick people for several years in order to make a living. I spent a lot of time washing my hands, still do.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly! I'll be doing my Moderna booster and 3nd shingrix even though I know the results will be less than pleasant. It's important to remember that the actual diseases are much, much worse.

The second Shingrix was worse than the first and equal in side effects to my second Moderna so not horrible. A fever and aches and chills for 24 hours maybe. By the next day I was feeling much better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the ironic thing was that I was hanging around some very sick people for several years in order to make a living. I spent a lot of time washing my hands, still do.

Yeah interestingly enough, though I worked with patients for most of my career I rarely got sick and I attribute that to my diligent hand washing and paying attention never to touch my face at work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results