shape
carat
color
clarity

Band help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey Everyone,

Well I figured out what I want for my setting, and Renee from Whiteflash has given me a price quote. Basically the work will start on Monday. The only thing which I am unhappy about is the band width. Now as I mentioned before I want it under 2mm. Whiteflash has said that they CAN'T do 1pt diamonds in prong set band. And it would have to be 2 pt, for a width of 2.5 mm (which is way more then I want). So it's been suggested that I do 2pt shared prong, but I'm not sure if it will fit the overall style of the setting I chose.

So what I want to know is, what size diamonds do they use in those incredible Michael B settings (with the tiny, tiny pave band) and in the ritani endless love? It seems to be that they are really, really tiny. Thanks everyone, it's the last question I promise.

Thanks!
35.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
AC They are from .005 to .0125ct full cuts. Set so the tables match up for maximum sparkle.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bill. I got the impression that 2pt is the minumum that could be done, but if there are bands made from 0.005 to 0.01 does that just mean prong set diamonds can''t be 1pt? I''m confused, Im thinking maybe I shouldn''t go with Whiteflash for the setting if they can''t make a really skinny band. I have a 2 mm eternity band right now and I hate it. I practically never wear it. The only problem is that I want to buy the diamond and setting from the same place
8.gif
. So if I don''t get the setting from them, then I can''t get my diamond either. Since my boyfriend is planning on wiring the money on Monday, I kind of have to decide
5.gif
. This is stressful.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Ally,
Here is a link to celngee's ring link her band is made up of 1 pointer's. I think WF won't do it because it would compromise the ring and it would not be sturdy. She even mentions in the thread that she heard it was too thin but went with it anyway. i would trust WF to know what's best. many of the designer settings you mentioned are not prong set, they are pave bead set melee which i think would make a difference
34.gif

031805ringpic.15.jpg

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mrsalvo,

Thanks for the response! So maybe 1 pt diamonds bead set would work? I know that 1pt would make the band less sturdy but I KNOW that I won''t wear a 2.5 mm width ring. However, at this point, Whiteflash won''t make it for me, so I don''t know what to do. I would be happy with 2pt shared prong, but I''m not sure if that would look alright with the ring I chose. I''m driving myself crazy with this. Thanks for the help.

03cat.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you really love THAT band, why not purchase it from the vendor and have them send it Whiteflash and Whiteflash can set your stone. I have seen many examples where WF has done this, that way you can still get the stone you want and the exact setting you want w/out having to compromise.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Firegoddess'' pear has a very thin band and it is 2 pointers. It looks like shared-prong ... Maybe you wanna ask her some Qs?

franni2new.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess'' rings are shared prong w/ 2 pointers but they are not full eternity. don''t know if that might make a difference
34.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses.

Feydakin: The setting is going to be in platinum, which Renee said was very soft. I''m a bit confused about who to ask to make this setting for me. I''ve also tried to find out what "bead set" looks like, but I don''t really understand the term. I''m also concerned about who would make the setting for me, aside from Whiteflash, I don''t know who else to ask.

Mrsalvo: I am planning on calling dirtcheapdiamonds on Monday to get the specs on their setting (for all I know, it might be 2pt in the band, therefore, I would be worrying for nothing). I might end up purchasing it from them. Another thing that worries me is that the total carat weight for the dirtcheapdiamonds setting is 0.4 carats, while Renee estiamted that mine would be 0.9?? The price Renee quoted for me is LESS then the one from Dirtcheapdiamonds, but I just want to make sure it''s what I want. I''d pay more, for less diamonds, as long as I love it. I''m picturing that my ring is going to be this huge, monstrous thing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi ally,
here is an old quote from Old minor which explains bead set much better than I could.

Date: 5/11/2005 12:46:54 PM
Author: oldminer
Melée are small sized round diamonds. Pretty much below 0.10ct in size to the very smallest ones.

Pave'' means literally, paved with diamonds, as a setting style. Generally pave'' work is bead set, but it can be without bead setting if one wants a smooth versus a busy surface finish.

Bead setting involves making a hole that the diamond will fit into tightly and then forcing a sharp pointed blade into the metal right next to the stone to bring up sort of a splinter, a bead, of the metal. This bead is pressed inward, over the edge of the diamond and then generally rounded off with a ''beading tool'', a concave abrasive metal tool. One raises several beads around the perimeter of the diamond and then generally cuts away the excess surrounding metal. This is known as a ''bright cut''. It accentuates the beads and puts a smooth mirrored surface around the diamond to make it look bright and larger. It masks the presence of the metal and makes the piece looks ''paved'' with gems.

If one wants a smooth pave'' look, then the stones are tightly fitted into iindividual holes and the metal is gently hammered around their perimeter to hold them in place. The metal is smoothed carefully and then can be made brightly polished, sandblasted, or finished in several other ways.

here''s a pic of a bead set ring

L1107plA.jpg

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

I am amazed at the knowledge people have concenring rings and diamonds! So as per Mrsalvo''s suggestion, I did contact Dirtcheapdiamonds, and they were VERY helpful. Basically the band on the setting is 1.8 mm and the halo 1.5 mm. The band is made up of 1 pt diamonds. So now I''m waiting to hear if DCD will be willing to set it, if not, then I''ll ask Whiteflash. Hopefully the setting part won''t be an issue.

My boyfriend did talk to Whiteflash''s designer, and he told him that he would only put 2pt diamonds and the band would be 2.0 mm, however on thursday they had said 2.5 to 2.7mm. I''m kind of confused about all that
8.gif
. If it was 2mm I wouldn''t mind, but I''m kind of worried that I can''t get a definite number. I would be terrified that it came back 2.5 to 2.7 mm and then I REALLY wouldn''t be happy.

Thanks again. Hopefully this saga is almost at an end.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ally- the band on my WF ring is to be 2 mm! so i think that is the right figure.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 12:56:04 PM
Author: allycat0303
Hey everyone,

I am amazed at the knowledge people have concenring rings and diamonds! So as per Mrsalvo''s suggestion, I did contact Dirtcheapdiamonds, and they were VERY helpful. Basically the band on the setting is 1.8 mm and the halo 1.5 mm. The band is made up of 1 pt diamonds. So now I''m waiting to hear if DCD will be willing to set it, if not, then I''ll ask Whiteflash. Hopefully the setting part won''t be an issue.

My boyfriend did talk to Whiteflash''s designer, and he told him that he would only put 2pt diamonds and the band would be 2.0 mm, however on thursday they had said 2.5 to 2.7mm. I''m kind of confused about all that
8.gif
. If it was 2mm I wouldn''t mind, but I''m kind of worried that I can''t get a definite number. I would be terrified that it came back 2.5 to 2.7 mm and then I REALLY wouldn''t be happy.

Thanks again. Hopefully this saga is almost at an end.
Hey Ally,

I spoke with Bob, who is our senior gemologist. We will make a 2mm band using 0.02ct diamonds. We could get smaller diamonds, but we do not make thinner bands.

To elaborate, this is a matter of security and product integrity to us. A comparison: If you ride a roller-coaster without restraints it could be great fun and you *may* not get pitched out of the car.
10.gif
But many theme parks will insist on those restraints - for their sake as well as yours.

We''d rather not take the chance with your lifelong piece of jewelry, so we have safeties in place.

Another comparison Bob provided: A wooden dowel about 7 or 8mm in diameter is secure and bends, yes? However, if you drill holes in it (to put in diamonds) and try to bend it, it will break easily. Similarly, we do not make bands thinner than 2mm if they contain diamonds. It is not structurally sound enough for our standards.

I hope this helps clarify, whatever you decide.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Ally...maybe they can do smaller pave if its like MaryAlaina's ring...it appears to be bead set, but also with some milgrain edging...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/first-pic-of-microset-split-shank-pear-ring.23931/=

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/handshots-of-microset-pear-from-whiteflash.24035/=

I'm very curious to hear how your ring turns out, b/c I also want very small pave for my ring (whenever the BF gets around to making that happen--he knows the theme is "the thinner the better"), which I also plan on having WF make. What I'm looking for is for it to be set like MaryAlaina's ring.

ETA: I just read John's post...we are at the same time. I wonder how much of a visual difference you would notice anyway. It would probably be more noticeable on your hands than mine, b/c I know you have a tiny ring size, and mine is a 6.5. The .02 ct or 2mm will probably still look really small. The first time I looked at rings, I forgot how small and delicate they really are b/c I'm always used to looking at larger than life pics here on PS.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

The confusion gets worst
9.gif

John: Thanks for clarifying the 2mm or 2.5 mm for the 2 pt diamonds. I feel terrible having to call you guys up with all these questions.

Appletini: Glad to know you will soon be having this dilemma. I think my main concern before was that although there is probably not much a difference between 1.8 and 2mm, there is one between 1.8 and 2.5-2.7 mm. If it''s a total ironclad (and I mean ironclad) 2mm, I would might go with Whiteflash because of the ACA melee (I have no idea if that makes a difference but it sounds cool to me
9.gif
). I have to talk to my boyfriend about it. He''s concerned because he''s quite aware that if I don''t like the band, I''ll refuse to wear it. I''ll let you know how the ring turns out.

Well at least I have some definite measurements to work with. Thanks everyone.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Ally - You're welcome, of course.

Sorry things are getting lost in translation. Everyone wants you to be happy, I hope you know that
1.gif
It is never a problem to call. You or Martin (or both on extensions) feel free to contact me directly. I sent you a PM.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allycat,

Lots of discussion about the ring this weekend! Sorry I missed it - it was my birthday on Friday the 17th, and I didn't check PS all weekend...I was busy celebrating.
11.gif

Have you made a decision yet? Are you going to go with WF, or DCD...or think about it some more?

ETA: I think the shared prong look would go okay with your current ring design...are you worried about the profile of the ring? Any way to see a cad drawing of what that would look like? It would get you 2 pointers and a 2 mm band.

I think MA's ring is 1 pointers in the shank, 1/2 pointers in the halo...but there's more metal surrounding those stones, so I don't know if that would really diminish the band width or not.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess: Happy Birthday! Hope you did some wild and crazy things
11.gif

Who am I going with? I haven''t the slightest clue. My boyfriend is FREAKING out because I haven''t made a decision and he wants to wire the money fast! Personally, I figure this is the biggest jewelery purchase I am going to make so I want to love it.

I think there are pros and cons to both places (but one thing is for sure, both have INCREDIBLE customer service).

For DCD: Pros: -Well they make the ring so it''ll be exactly like the pic on their website.
-The band is a tad thinner, although I''m not sure I''ll notice it (1.8mm)

Cons: -Well they use "premium" full cut diamonds for the melee (again I probably won''t notice)
-The DCD setting is slightly more expensive then the Whiteflash (although the Whiteflash setting will be a
higher carat weight).
-Might be a hassle to have Whiteflash ship to DCD

For Whiteflash:

Pros: -They will use ACA diamonds in the melee
-It will be less expensive
-They already have my stone and there would be no hassle to ship it somewhere else.

Cons: -I''m totally concerned that I will get the ring and psychologically (real or imagined) have remose
because it won''t be exactly what I want.
-The band will be 2mm (splitting hairs I know) but I have a 2mm eternity band and I think it''s too wide

Jim from DCD told me that if the diamond were to break/ chip during the setting process they would replace my diamond. He said it has yet to happen with a round stone, but it HAS happened with princess cuts. So that''s it dilemma, I go back and forth, back and forth. I think the whole process is scary because I am doing this completely sight unseen. I won''t see the diamond, have never actually seen the setting (or anything remotely similar).
From what I remember, when you got your halo setting, it was a nightmare, so I''m glad I''m not the only one that has had some agony over this. I can tell you one thing. I AM NEVER GETTING AN UPGRADE. It''s way too much stress! I wish someone would just tell me what to do!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, this is strickly my opinion. if you LOVE the DCD setting, everything about it, i would pay the difference and have them do it. custom is fun but you don''t always know exactly what you are getting and that can be nervewracking. when i upgrade my ring someday, if I find a setting I love everything about I will go that route and i just finished doing a custom project that turned out amazing. anyway, that''s me
2.gif
if your 2mm band seems to big now,it very well could feel that way later. i have a 2mm eterntiy band from WF. I am having a 1.7mm band made to go with my new setting. I can tell a very slight difference in the width. the styles are different which may be why it looks thinner to my eyes. as for the aca melee, they are awesome and sparkle, but in diamonds that small you will probably not be able to tell the difference between the two. mara has a ACA eternity wedding band, a ideal cut melee in here ering and cannot tell a difference when wearing them next to one another. i would also trust DCD completely to set your stone. I think you really have a win/win situation. both are very reputable vendors. you just have to decide how much you want the exact ring from DCD or could you settle with something slightly different.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll tell you what to do, though (A) it''s just my opinion so feel free not to take it and (B) I like both WF and DCD companies equally, and haven''t used either myself (yet!).

I think that the difference between 1.8 mm and 2 mm is very small, but the sparkle size difference between 1 pointers and 2 pointers is bigger. What I mean is, with the 1.8 mm and 1 point band, you will likely see more metal than if you go with the 2 mm and 2 point band....which is why I would pick the 2mm/2 point band. Other reasons include getting the ACA melee, getting more carat weight, and a cheaper price going with the WF ring. This of course all hinges on the WF band being 2 mm and not bigger.

That''s my 2 cents!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehehehehe - we''re no help, giving 2 completely different opinions at the same time!!!

I do also want to say that I hear you on not getting a stone upgrade....after that custom job hell I will NEVER upgrade this stone. Another stone/ring would not be out of the question someday...but this baby is never getting traded up. Custom can be a hellish experience but the right vendor is key to that not happening. I haven''t heard any bad accounts from either vendor, so I think regardless you''re in safe hands.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 6:04:40 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Hehehehehe - we're no help, giving 2 completely different opinions at the same time!!!

I do also want to say that I hear you on not getting a stone upgrade....after that custom job hell I will NEVER upgrade this stone. Another stone/ring would not be out of the question someday...but this baby is never getting traded up. Custom can be a hellish experience but the right vendor is key to that not happening. I haven't heard any bad accounts from either vendor, so I think regardless you're in safe hands.
1.gif

LOL,

i also agree about more sparkle with the bigger stones. the 3 pointers in my shared prong eterntiy band sparkle and have a lot more of the bling factor than the pave/bead set band i'm getting with much smaller stones.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I love you ladies, but oh my GOD at least you can see why I am having the dilemma! Two differnt answers to the same question
6.gif
. You ladies are brilliant, but you''re bringing in more considerations!

Mrsalvo: I had a 1.8 mm eternity band which my kitty ate. My new one is 2mm, and I like it but not nearly as much as my old one. The price difference in minimal (only about $200), but I''m a bit concerned about Whiteflash shipping to DCD. Is it going to be a problem, the insurance etc. I want to make a decision before I harass them any furthur.

Firegoddess: You do bring up a valid point about more metal. I hadn''t even considered that. This ring is going to be analyzed to death before it gets made! Your pear setting is perfect, so I wouldn''t change a thing. I don''t how you survived the custom job from hell, but at least you have a stunning result.

At this point, the symbol of our love, is starting to feel like "The reason my boyfriend is going to cheerfully strangle me"
11.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know exactly how you are feeling ally. as for WF shipping, they do it all the time and i don''t think you have to worry about that at all. i shipped my stone to florida for an appraisal, then Rich shipped it back. then I shipped it to Quest in Virginia so it''s done some traveling and done just fine. Wf uses fed ex and would probably overnight the stone so it really is not that big of a deal.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Personally I would rather have the larger ACA stones for less money...but that is just me. The decisions is yours 100% have you been able to try on 1.8 band next to a 2mm band?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 6:17:47 PM
Author: allycat0303
Mrsalvo: I had a 1.8 mm eternity band which my kitty ate.
I literally almost peed my pants when I read that. That is HYSTERICAL. My cat loves shiny things (bad kitty - keep away from the tinsel) and is just completely mesmerized by them. But eating a RING? Too freaking funny.

I''m going to the bathroom now. I can''t hold it anymore.
2.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess: My boyfriend said to me, "I''ll go through his poop to find it." And I told him, "I''m not wearing a ring that''s been through poop." My cat''s name is KILLER (don''t ask...) He''s wool eating, food scrounging, ring ingesting bad boy. But he''s just too cute. I don''t think we should have named him Killer, it was a sign of things to come. You can be sure he''s not getting anywhere near my e-ring
9.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Ally:

I wish you the best in making your decision. You are getting a great deal of help here. I have not a thing to offer on this topic, but I just wanted to thank you for asking the question because I have been curious about the differences in 1.8mm and 2.0mm and 2.5mm in eternity bands. And this thread has all the pros and cons contained in one coherent discussion.

I wish you the best in your decision and can''t wait to see the finished product!!
face23.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I''m officially really upset and unhappy with the situation. I had decided to go with the dirtcheap setting. Yesturday I spoke to Jim, and he said he could build the setting without the diamond (with the specs) however it would be prefereable to go have the stone, so I thought that I could have the stone sent to dirtcheap. Unfortunately, Whiteflash won''t send the stone to dirtcheap they would have to send it to me first (I''m in Canada so 15% tax once it goes over the border) and then send it to dirtcheap (shipping, and they will charge me 15% again on the diamond and the setting) So then I thought the setting could be sent to Whiteflash (as per Mrsalvo''s suggestion). The answer to that is also no, because Dirtcheap doesn''t want to do that either. So I can either have the setting I want or the stone, but not both. Anyone have suggestions on what to do? Do I stay with the stone, or go with the setting. I feel like crying because this is a no win situation for me.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Would Whiteflash ship the stone to a US appraisor who would then ship it to Dirt Cheap Diamonds for you? You should get an appraisal done before the stone is mounted anyway, so you could just get that done when the stone reaches the appraisor. It would save you the double tax problem. I believe Whiteflash will ship to an appraisor....Just an idea.

I feel for you. I too wanted a thin pave band. I wound up getting the Michael B 3 sided pave setting because it was the only thing I truly loved. I knew I could probably do it cheaper by going custom, but I would have wanted it to look just like the Michael B and if it hadn''t I would have been upset. Besides, I have issues with exactly copying another designers work. You need to get what you truly desire. This ring will be with you the rest of your life. There has to be a third alternative for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results