shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Round OEC N color-nervous!

D

Deactivated member 42515

catia said:
So, today the verdict is in :)
GOG got both diamonds & my setting today --the 0.93 J is back--I seriously hope it goes to a PS'er so we can see more of it, the stone is such a beauty-whoever gets it will be elated with it. I wanna see what it looks like set! YayTacori's pics outdid everything I attempted to do, which just was a blur--her pics are the best in real life pics & her photography skills deserve serious KUDOS!!!

Thanks Catia :) I used my iPhone for those pics. My fur baby that I love sooo much ;-) decided to have a little snack and chewed up my camera cord so all I had was my iPhone.

I'm super excited for your bling baby to grace us with its presence!

glitterpants

Rough_Rock
I hope I have the right thread. Catia, didn't you also look at a K AVC too? If so, what were your conclusions between that one and the N colored avc?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Catia,

Your temporary setting is beautiful...how convenient for you that it will work. Also about the statement that InnaR made about poorly cut stones performing well in good lighting just is not true from my limited experience.

"I do however disagree with InnaR that even a poorly cut stone will perform "well" in this lighting-Maybe this lighting helps a poorly cut stone perform well for a poorly cut stone-if that is what you are comparing--***this is NOT*** what I was comparing."

I went to an high end jewelry store to view a 6c OEC estate ring and even in their lighting it was deader than a doornail in the center. It had little minute pin points of light in the dark center ...like far away stars in the night sky. I was like "Wow, that is so dead in the center!!!". I will say that this ring was not an antique. But I have heard Jon state that OEC's perform differently some good and some really bad.

For those looking for a good performer, I would say ask lots of questions over the phone...specific questions. if they are wishy washy in their answers it might mean that the stone is not such a great stone.

All old stones do not perform well in great lighting is what I found. I couldn't believe that that store had purchased such a dead diamond, as it is in the most exclusive area of a major city. They probably got it at an auction for $15k and trying to sell it for $70k to some ignorant guy trying to buy a large rock for his girlfriend, but who knows.

Anyway, thanks Catia for your great descriptive post on AVC;s and AVRs.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Ariel,
I think we all agree that not all old stones perform great, but it seems that we cannot agree that not all AVRs perform well.
As for my Lowes lighting comments, I made it after I read that Catia while on her way to return both stones changed her mind after observing their performance under Lowes lighting.
I think that we can all agree that big box store lighting is very flattering to all diamonds.
Sams, Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot and how can I forget Tiffany - when I happen to be there, I like to stare at my stone as well. But I also stare at it in the car, in my living room, at my son's elementary school and so on. It performs the way I LIKE in every environment and that is why I decided to keep it. I hate big box stores and don't want to feel the urge to go there to see the fire in my diamond. I can just look down at my hand anywhere anytime.
I wanted to tell a fellow Pricescoper that what she will see on her finger every day is what she sees at home, not at Lowes. And if she did not see enough fire, she can keep looking. Vendors and Pricescopers feelings won't be hurt if she decides to switch a shape, cut or vendor. She has a right to satisfy every bit of what she wants for her money.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inna, I am wondering if you really read her posts. Because she DID eliminate one AVR because she felt it did not perform as well as the other. Then she was totally torn between one AVR and one AVC. Both were beautiful in ALL her lighting environments. The tie breaker was when she went to Lowes and saw the performance of the AVC in that lighting. She had already raved about how it had performed in her more usual lighting but this was the thing that broke the tie between the stones.

The funny thing is, she DID plenty of investigation to get to her final choice, and she chose something that she LOVES! I absolutely cannot understand why you would post negative comments on a thread where someone is deciding between 2 or three of their favorite stones (all well cut and beautiful) for an e-ring?????

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
catia, I came back because I wondered if you had made the trip to GOG or whether you had decided on a stone! I am so sorry that your bf had to have surgery right in the midst of a move! How you have done all this, I can't imagine!

Anyway, I wanted to tell you how excited I am for you and how much I learned from your posts! :appl: I am one that likes near colorless in modern round brilliants, but I am really thinking I could LOVE an AVC in a lower color!!! I so agree with you that I'd love a brownish or champagne tint to an AVC and I would also love it in a contrasting halo!

Anyway, I cannot wait to see pictures! Your descriptions almost made me feel like I had seen some, but we really do NEED some now! :lol:

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
I moved my reply to the parallel post.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
InnaR|1337406515|3198985 said:
DS,
Don't worry, I can read. I can just list some of the things Catia and YayTacori said.
So it would be safe to assume that the same lack of fire is exhibited in all AVRs

I doubt either poster knew that their posts would be analysed to this level at the time they were posted. It is quite unfair to make any assumptions!

The OP asked for advice - which should have been administered in a positive, supportive and friendly manner, and largely has been, notwithstanding the allegations made about being a "plant" for a particular vendor.

The OP has made a choice and selected a setting. I can't wait to see the finished product!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
InnaR|1337393179|3198889 said:
Ariel,
I think we all agree that not all old stones perform great, but it seems that we cannot agree that not all AVRs perform well.
As for my Lowes lighting comments, I made it after I read that Catia while on her way to return both stones changed her mind after observing their performance under Lowes lighting.
I think that we can all agree that big box store lighting is very flattering to all diamonds.
Sams, Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot and how can I forget Tiffany - when I happen to be there, I like to stare at my stone as well. But I also stare at it in the car, in my living room, at my son's elementary school and so on. It performs the way I LIKE in every environment and that is why I decided to keep it. I hate big box stores and don't want to feel the urge to go there to see the fire in my diamond. I can just look down at my hand anywhere anytime.
I wanted to tell a fellow Pricescoper that what she will see on her finger every day is what she sees at home, not at Lowes. And if she did not see enough fire, she can keep looking. Vendors and Pricescopers feelings won't be hurt if she decides to switch a shape, cut or vendor. She has a right to satisfy every bit of what she wants for her money.

Yes, I see your point, I would also want a stone that performed well in all lighting conditions. I have no experience personally with these old cuts yet, or the performance of ALL AVR/AVC's at least comparing several stones side by side and seeing different makes of chunky cuts like Catia, but hope to soon. I doubt if that was the only place it performed well but exceptionally well in that environment which made her change her mind. It sounds to me like she had seen plenty of stones out there and comparisons that she chose the right stone for her.

I had a nice 2.10c. radiant cut stone and got compliments on it from strangers and from friends that had more expensive stones than my radiant, so i guess it performed well cause I too enjoyed looking at it in all lighting conditions. And the rainbow of primary vivid colors that came out of it were so cool to watch especially in the sun and indoors the colors would reflect against the wall like a rainbow from a prism. To me it had a lot of fire. No dark or dead spots.... but then again I really knew nothing about performance in diamonds when I ordered that stone from an online vendor.

Maybe we need a thread on what "fire" in a diamond really is. Is it sparkle and scintillation plus the emitting of colors? To me those 3 things produce "fire". If the stone emanates pastels (as these chunky cuts seem to) instead of primary rainbow colors does that affect the fire or just a different look to the fire? Questions I cannot answer, but as many stones as Catia has seen and long time PS'rs , you guys can probably answer that.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Ariel,
I am happy for Catia, that she selected the stone that she loves. I hope that she will be back and share the happy story of setting her diamond in the ring. And GOG return policies are great, so if in the future she will change her mind and decide to taste a different flavor she can always do that.

I tend to forget that it took me years of reading PS on a daily basis and going through many stones to develop strong preferences. And few years later I might become Radiant or Princess cut nut and will laugh at the things I am writing now. :wink2:

catia

Shiny_Rock
I think I was very CLEAR that the AVR did not lack fire--that I wanted extreme fire--i think i did a good job of clearing that up.

A cushion performs differently than a round & I was *ALWAYS* partial to cushions.
Specificially Cushion Brilliants, old mine cushions--with huge chunky facets, tall crown & large culet, square ratio.

*****The ONLY stone that ever swayed me was the OEC, it is the ONLY round shape I would EVER consider.***
This is why I viewed 2 different August Vintage OEC's in person.

In an OEC I wanted chunky faceting, a big fat culet & kozibe effect--that I could see with the naked eye.
It became apparent to me, through the help of ladies on PS, & other sites (including Dreamer_d --thanks dreamer-d!),
That I just wasn't going to get to see the kozibe effect the way I ***expected**** in a stone in the 1-1.5ct range--

*****What I was looking for an an OEC was UNREALISTIC**** My bad.

I did not realize this before viweing the stones in person & contacting people on & off line--
LOL seeing so many close up pics with apparent kozibe, I just hadn't considered a small 1ct wasnt gonna show kozibe like the huge close up pics do.
This was my screw-up--OK???? Can we get off the boat of me saying the AVR doesn't have fire already?
That isn't what I ever meant & my words are being misconstrued to a level that just isn't accurate.

My *dream OEC* would be have a huge culet, & be big enough in carat size & spread to show kozibe effect to the naked eye easily.
It would have massive chunky facets & be a pale light brown/champagne with strong blue flourescence.
Nowhere near colorless range!!!
We will have to hit the lotto for me to ever get one like that.

If I do hit the lotto, however, after seeing Good Old Gold's August Vintage Rounds, & how well they perform, & knowing that you can get stones cut from rough by GOG--
Good Old Gold would be my 1st choice, and I'd wait however long I needed to for that type of rough to be located :)

As far as my beautiful 1.04 N Si-1 August Vintage Cushion, it has everything I could realistically want in a stone of this carat size.
The light performance ***IS SUPERIOR*** to any other cushion I have viewed.
I have had each stone for weeks at a time in every different lighting source.
My AV cushion performs well across all lighting souces, it always shows something going on, it does have pastels, & pastel colored fire-To be as specific as possible:
The pastel fire type of colors it throws & shows is more apparent in the lower lighting type of sources, also crappy office flourescent tube lighting--which isn't kind on diamonds. I get the pastels when the stone is at it's "most mellow" points. That's what gives me such joy with this stone--even when it's "mellow" it's STILL doing SOMETHING.

Somehow I get both types of fire, pastels & primary type-- to be CLEAR--It depends on the lighting source which type of colors this cushion throws.

It's really quite neat. I get every color in the rainbow, not just pastels.

The regular type of fire colors (not pastels) occurs in the fire type of lighting that is more spot lighting type, or sunlight, or store lighting.

Is this clear enough?

On another note, to answer *Glitterpants's question*--
No I did not view the K-AVC, I decided the slight body tint of the N did not bother me. I actually want some tint. I don't want steely cold effect.
Honestly, I got caught up in worrying about body color for a minute, this was more a momentary lapse.

I dug out an old ruby ring I got as a gift years ago from an X boyfriend that I never wear (it's a big ruby maybe a 1.75ct+ marquis, natural untreated & has a colorless white diamond halo around it & is yellow gold which I do not like so never wear).
I did my body tint comparison of my N-AVC next to the ruby & the super white diamonds--& I concluded the slight 'cream soda' type of tint was not an issue for me.
My AVC doesn't look yellow, it's a slight tint. It is not a full saturation. I loved how it looked next to the whiter diamonds--like pics in show me the bling that have white halos with a tinted lower colored diamond. I just love that!

To be honest---I was actually always more interested in the 1.34-VS1- O-colored AVC with medium blue flouro-than I ever was about that K--but I was worried about obvious yellow tint, & in my worry, I put that K on hold.
It was more a knee jerk reaction after reading opinions about color on PS, with some referring to lower colors as 'yellow teeth'.

I was gonna view the K because I thought I wanted less tint---I panicked.
I thought my N was gonna look yellow--like a citrine if I placed it in the setting I want, which is plat with rubies.
***This knee jerk reaction was before I viewed my N next to my old ruby ring with the white diamonds..
My stone did not look yellow, not anything like a citrine, it's clearly a diamond & the issue was immediately resolved.***

If I did not lock down the budget due to circumstances with BF's surgery, I'd be viweing the O-AVC with the flouro--especially after seeing my N-AVC next to the ruby ring.
That 1.34 O AVC stone was more interesting to me than the K--I'd love a slightly tinted stone with flouro that glows under blacklights!!!

catia

Shiny_Rock
*******CHANGE OF PLANS*******

I emailed Marie directly to double check on it being OK to size the setting I have mailed them (the sapphire setting) down to a 4.75, just because the email I rec'd that said everything was a 'go" was from Darren, & not Marie, & i wanted to be doubly sure they in fact could use my setting & didn't forget I needed it sized to 4.75, since this was the one thing Marie said from the beginning might be an issue.
Sometimes important info gets lost when you're dealing with 3rd party, so always double check with the person you're dealing with directly.

Marie said they *CAN'T* use my sapphire setting, because it can't be sized that small because it will affect the side sapphires.
SUPER BUMMER.

I didn't get any pics of what they do have in a super budget setting & haven't yet rec'd any pricing on those or on the examples I sent them previously that I do like if the sapphire setting couldn't be used.

I did like those baskets I posted & the setting that showed the slight bit of metal all around the stone--pic on other page--the one with the purple cushion stone mounted in it, but have no idea what cost would be for something similar if they have it.

So, since they're close sun/mon, it'll have to wait until I get some pics & pricing & info & try to keep my brain from going berzerk in the meantime, I really wish I had an idea on pricing & what's available to me in my limited range.

We were hoping to have this rock on my finger when BF goes into surgery (this coming friday), but that's not gonna happen.

On a side note off subject: BF has been such a trooper waiting for this surgery & has been in constant pain despite the meds-they do nothing for nerve pain. The super heavy meds made him constantly sick, & he couldn't keep them down, so we had to switch to lesser pain relief, & trying to get him more than 2 hours of sleep has been a huge issue--he says the not being able to get some solid sleep it driving him mad.
Neither of us has any idea what to expect & Dr's are just such snots, & neurosurgeons act like they can't give you the time of day...They have no concept that there is a patient who is a human being & they've given him zero info--said he had to wait until the day before surgery & gave us zero info for how to prepare for post surgery.
BF has always been the super healthy one, never missed a day of work in almost 20 years. I'm so thankful he has the personality he does, cuz if I was in pain for this long, I'd be a total psycho by now. I have no idea how he maintains the patience he does.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so sorry about the setting, but I think it will turn out for the best because maybe you can find something you'll like better!

That is terrible about your bf's pain. It is so aggravating when doctors do not have more compassion for someone suffering!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Catia, that's so disappointing for you... :blackeye:

Things that are meant to be...will be. I know you were hesitant about using your sapphire setting so maybe this is one of those "not meant to be" things. You have a good rapport with Marie so I'm sure she'll come up w affordable alternatives for you to look at.

Why not start a new thread for ideas, along w posting this diamond details? Do you want a setting similar to the sapphire one, or just a temporary simple solitaire?

Keep us posted! Fingers crossed for your BF this Friday. Hope all goes well...

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Catia...

This is my very first post on PS, but I just had to reply...

First of all... I am very sorry for the pain your BF is in, and I hope he is finished with surgery by now and is on the mend!! What a horrible thing to endure, especially when you are moving!

But I wanted to write this to tell you how much I appreciate you writing about your whole journey... I read your whole thread today! And this is why I am so thankful...

After 18 years of marriage we are finally in the process of buying a diamond and designing my "dream" ring. After much research online, and trying on rings both antique and new, and "pinning" a hundred pictures on Pinterest... I realized that I love a vintage (somewhat Edwardian) look, but I want a new diamond to put in it... A new diamond that looks old. Enter the August Vintage Cushion. (That I discovered right here on PS).

I, too, prefer a "warmer" diamond. I think the E-F-G colored stones tend to look cold and more "fake" because all the CZ's are that same color. I love the depth and romance in the warmer stones.
And so after much research on GOG, and emailing back and forth with Sarah, I finally purchased one...

At this very moment I am wearing an 'L' colored, AVC 1.79ct VVS2. I just received it on Saturday, and it is still in the temporary "tension" mount that they mailed it in.
And now... here's my dilemma...

When I opened the box and looked at the stone for the first time I thought, "oh... it's yellow".
Yep. Yellow. Bummer.
And then I wondered if I was crazy. Because I really LIKE warm stones. But what I said to my husband was "It is not just "darker", but it kind of has a "lemony" tint." Almost like a VERY pale citrine. He noticed it too, right away.
I was trying to describe to him how not all "warm" stones look yellow, but some are more brown, or bronze or gold-ish... but I didn't feel like I was describing it very well.

Then I read your thread... and you made the comparison between Lemonade and Ginger-ale... And BINGO... that is EXACTLY what I meant!!! I want a Ginger-ale colored stone... NOT lemonade!! Like I said... I don't mind "warmth", but this stone has a definite "citrus" hue to it in certain lights. When it was sitting in the white-leather-lined box, it looked yellow!
Right now, however, it looks beautiful. But it's nighttime and I only have lamp light, and it looks perfectly white. But in the day, especially with sunshine, it looks yellow.

So I emailed Sarah and told her my dilemma.
My husband and I both think that maybe we should go with a J colored stone. The closest one in size and price is a AVC 1.89ct J SI1. It is more expensive, but we could still swing it.
Sarah suggested that we purchase the "J" so that we can compare the two stones side-by-side, and then return the one we don't want.

Is this what you did?? Did you actually purchase each stone that you viewed in your home??
I live on the West coast so I will already have to reimburse them for the overnight shipping that they used to send me the "L" stone. And I will have to pay for the new stone, AND to ship one of the stones back. Whew... it adds UP!! Is this what you did??

I really think I need to see both stones at the same time. This one is a perfect cut and has VVS2 clarity, it is also almost a perfect square shape. (7.1 x 7.2mm) The "J" stone is SI1 clarity, and is slightly more rectangular. (7.11 x 7.57mm).

Anyway... I don't mean to bore you with the details...
I just wanted to thank you for letting me know that I'm not crazy for thinking that not all "warm" stones are alike, and it IS possible for them to have different "hues".
And I wanted to know how you went about getting more than one stone at a time to view in your own home.

Thank you for your time!! And I really appreciate ALL of your input and detailed descriptions. I, too, am in LOVE with the cut of the AVC!! I look at the other cushions out there and I almost cringe. I love the chunky facets!!

I can't wait to finally see pictures of your stone and the setting that you end up getting.
I hope you LOVE it!!

I look forward to hearing your reply!!
And prayers for your BF's recovery!! Hope he feels better SOON!!!

PS... I noticed that several times you wrote long posts and then "lost" them when you tried to post it. One thing I've learned from other forums, is to "copy" the text before I post it. Then if I lose it, I can "paste" it and try again. Just a suggestion!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dougsgirl I don't think a J color stone will look like ginger ale. I have owned a few Js and basically they look white, cream at most. Perhaps call GOG up and talk to them about what you want. I am not sure how familiar you are with diamonds either. It is possible that what you want *exactly* does not really exist. Any tinted stone will have a chameleon look to it and show many many shades.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1337751131|3201472 said:
Dougsgirl I don't think a J color stone will look like ginger ale. I have owned a few Js and basically they look white, cream at most. Perhaps call GOG up and talk to them about what you want. I am not sure how familiar you are with diamonds either. It is possible that what you want *exactly* does not really exist. Any tinted stone will have a chameleon look to it and show many many shades.
Say wha? It sounded like a pretty clear cut scenario to me ...she'd prefer the hint of tint be more champagne than lemonade. More taupe/brown/silver than *yellow*. And your response to that is that she's too inexperienced to know what she wants but it might not exist?
"L" is too low for her. "J" could work just fine! Right?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1337751837|3201480 said:
Dreamer_D|1337751131|3201472 said:
Say wha? It sounded like a pretty clear cut scenario to me ...she'd prefer the hint of tint be more champagne than lemonade. More taupe/brown/silver than *yellow*. And your response to that is that she's too inexperienced to know what she wants but it might not exist?
"L" is too low for her. "J" could work just fine! Right?

The poster was commenting that sometimes the stone looks yellow like citrus, and sometimes white, and sometimes soft gingerale like she wants. My point is that no matter the graded color, no stone it will not look ginger ale all the time. In my experience, tinted stones never take on one single tint in appearance. Diamonds from about K on down really show dramatic color shifts as a function of lighting and environmental color. So most will look yellow sometimes, and brown, and reddish/russet, and beige and creamy. And on and on. I have owned diamonds with brown undertones to my eye and silver-grey undertones, and while it added a very subtle tone to the diamonds white appearance, the color shift properties were not particularly affected -- both hued stones looked yellow sometimes and beige other times. And a J color stone in particular is not very tinted at all, so likely will not look ginger-ale like, no matter its body color.

I did not assume that the poser of this question knows nothing about diamonds. I asked how familiar she was because many people new to diamonds have expectations about how they will look -- be it in color, or optics, or what have you -- that are not realistic. And those people are sometimes disappointed. I don't want this poster to end up disappointed.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't see anywhere in the poster's comment that she believe the "L" stone she has now *ever* achieves the "gingerale" look she wants. And her plan to view a "J" stone alongside the unsatisfactory "L" she already has, seems like a sound one to me. :read:

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
decodelighted|1337753370|3201486 said:
I don't see anywhere in the poster's comment that she believe the "L" stone she has now *ever* achieves the "gingerale" look she wants. And her plan to view a "J" stone alongside the unsatisfactory "L" she already has, seems like a sound one to me. :read:

Maybe I've misunderstood, and maybe my analogy is incorrect - so please feel free to correct me - ... but if she's after "ginger ale" then going to a J wont achieve that either ... a bit like light passing through stained glass. Clear glass = white light. Coloured glass = coloured light. I appreciate that large facets work as mirrors which reflect their environment, thus also creating coloured light return - but that's not the issue here - and I think you get this type of light return regardless of the actual colour of the stone anyways.

A J is fairly "white" and wouldn't have/return that much colour - either in terms of the actual colour of the actual stone itself ... or its impact on the way it reflects light. If she wants to see "ginger ale", I would think that she needs a coloured stone, and from how I understand it, then that would mean she may need to go even further down the colour scale, not up it. Going to a J will ensure she has a "white" stone, rather than "yellow" one, which will return mostly "white" light - it will not be "yellow", for sure, but it wont be "ginger ale" either.

I've seen mostly L/M's body tint being described as having that ginger ale appearance in certain lighting - but this is a great example of how everyone perceives and interprets what they see with their own eyes differently! I've really enjoyed this thread.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Wow... thanks ladies! (and possibly gentlemen... I don't mean to assume...)
I didn't expect so many responses so late at night! LOL

Let me clarify...

No, I have not "owned" a lot of diamonds, but I am a good student and I have read a lot. I feel like I have a "fairly" good idea how diamond color works. I have seen, with the L colored diamond that is currently on my finger, that its relative "color" can change depending on the light source, the wall colors, the time of day, and whether or not I'm on my period... ;-)

I have also seen that "warm" diamonds can have a variety of different "hues", even when they are side-by-side with a white background. And I am even more convinced of this since I have this "lemonade tinted" diamond on my finger. It never looks like ginger ale, it goes from yellow to cream to white, depending on the light. And it is not unattractive by any means, it is just more yellow than I prefer.

Now to clarify my earlier post... I am not necessarily looking for a ginger ale-tinted stone, but if I end up getting a "warm" diamond, I prefer that that warmth lean toward ginger ale rather than lemonade.

I have liked most of the J colored stones I have seen. Although they are not obviously "colored", they have a little more "depth" than the E-F-G stones and are in a much better price range. And though it is very possible that I could love a different "L" colored stone, I don't necessarily want to buy and return a handful of diamonds to find the stone that has the perfect non-yellow warmth that I prefer (especially when they are having me reimburse the shipping to the west coast!). And actually, that option doesn't really exist. You see... I have been informed that GOG is not going to be cutting any new AVC's for quite a while, maybe a year or more, until they have gone through the majority of the inventory they have now. And in the size-to-price range that I am looking for, my options are limited. The original "L" stone that I inquired about was sold out from under me because I didn't act fast enough. So I had to go up over $1200 for the one I now have on my hand. And if I choose to switch to the "J", I am going up another $3000. There is one "K" and one "M" that are also in the "budget range", but my husband does not want to risk the "yellow factor" again and would prefer to go up at least 2 color grades, if we are going to go through the process to buy another one.

So...I'll say it again... I'm not necessarily looking for an obviously colored stone... but if I do GET a stone with a "tint" I prefer that it leans toward ginger ale, rather than lemonade... and yes, I realize it will not look like that in EVERY lighting condition, ALL the time. I am talking about the inherent color of the body of the diamond, against a white background.

So, my initial post was to thank Catia for her detailed descriptions, because what she did for me was clarify that YES "warmer" colored stones can, indeed, have different hues. And I'm not crazy if I liked one L stone, but don't really like the current L stone that is on my hand. Not all "L's" are created equal... :D I had been thinking this was maybe true, but Catia reinforced it for me through her experience. So... thanks again, Catia!!

I want a chunky cut, vintage looking, cushion cut diamond that LOOKS like a diamond. I do not prefer a completely "colorless" diamond because they look cold, a little boring, and they are very expensive. (Did I mention I like BIG diamonds and would love a 3 carat if I could afford it??) So I want a "warmer" stone that is not "yellow", and I don't really care about the clarity, as long as it's eye-clean. I love the cut of the AVC (no product placement here, it's just my favorite!) and I want as close to 2 carats as I can get... but there is a budget to consider. So... I'm limited. And I haven't even had the setting made yet! :shock:

Thank you all for your input. This thread has been immensely informative!!
I am looking forward to hearing back from Sarah about the 1.87 J stone. And I want to view them side-by-side, because maybe I'll discover I actually like my "lemony" L better?? Who knows?? But at this price, I want to be SURE that I will have NO regrets!!

Please continue to post and comment... I know I set myself up for inquiry and/or criticism because this is my first posting on PS... but I'm not new to "forum life". I'm a big girl... I can take it!! :naughty:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record, Dougsgirl -- that's exactly what I thought you meant. Hope your plan to view both works out & that you find the stone of your dreams.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dougsgirl|1337762526|3201513 said:
So...I'll say it again... I'm not necessarily looking for an obviously colored stone... but if I do GET a stone with a "tint" I prefer that it leans toward ginger ale, rather than lemonade... and yes, I realize it will not look like that in EVERY lighting condition, ALL the time. I am talking about the inherent color of the body of the diamond, against a white background.

See, I read this bit yet another way - to me that doesn't say "try a lighter stone", it says "try a stone with brown tint instead of the usual yellow" 8)
GIA/AGSL note brown modifier (instead of yellow) on the report for lower colours L/M/+

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1337802557|3201907 said:
Dougsgirl|1337762526|3201513 said:

See, I read this bit yet another way - to me that doesn't say "try a lighter stone", it says "try a stone with brown tint instead of the usual yellow" 8)
GIA/AGSL note brown modifier (instead of yellow) on the report for lower colours L/M/+

Yes.

My point is that in a J color stone you are unlikely to note any tint at all! A J color stone looks white but a warmer shade of white. The tint is so faint that most people cannot detect subtle differences in hus. If that is what you are after -- no really obvious tint but instead a slight warmth to the tone of white you see -- then great, J is the way to go.

If you are after a stone that has a brown tint, then you want a tinted stone -- L-M-N -- with a brown modifier in my opinion.

I was not sure which you want -- warm white without perceptible colored tint (J is good IMO) or a perceptible tint to the stone but with a brown modifier. My inital reading made me think the latter, but now its not clear from your post which you are after?

catia

Shiny_Rock
Dougsgirl--speak with Jonathan--the old cuts are his baby--if you're looking for different hues within a color--with these antique stones--I'd say speak with him directly & explain what your thinking to him.

The girls are wonderful, but I got the impression they're not as much into the august vintage, or slightly tinted stones, whereas Jon knows everything about them since he created them, he knows their specific nuances is what I'm trying to say.

Suprizingly, I called once & he actually answered the phone--he's great at describing the nuances those of us who like antique like cuts look for & color & tint (i think we're probably a pita to those who are not familiar with them lol).

IMHO--going to J will get you 'more white' & less tint for sure--but if you want some slight tint/hue to soften it up
-viewing some other colors with or without flouro might do it for you.

LOL view that 1.34-O- with the medium blue flouro LOL--i so wanted to see that one!

I don't know how color sensitive you are to be immediately thinking of the L as yellow, it sounds like you may be--or maybe it's just that particular L is more yellow in hue.

I never thought "oh my N is yellow' even next to the J August vintage OEC (& they are bright) And cushions show more color than rounds
I noticed a cream soda slight hue--

So my 1st thought about your experience with this specific L is that-- is it's this particular L & not all L's if that makes sense.

I Do think colors lower than J definately need to be viewed in person--it's not even close to as simple as yellow or white--you can get gray, brown, yellow, & yes, they do change colors in different lightings a lot--you will either love this about them--or not.

Yes, I did have to purchase each one to view.
Yes, the shipping adds up. It is worth it in the end--I KNOW exactly what I am getting, & I won't ever have to wonder how it will perform, I already know.

So, figure about $200 in S/H, & about $100 in bank wire fees---for PEACE OF MIND & never feeling rushed. If I wanted to sit & stare at my rocks for a couple of hours--I could, & I did.
You can spend that on dinner & a night on the town.

I viewed 7 in all-- in my real life environment ...over the course of months, between 3 vendors. So your $$ in s/h & fees may be less (or more lol)--think of the time for viewing before you purchase as part of the investment---better to know if you love the stone or not.
There will be no one trying to sell you anything--the decision is totally yours-based upon what YOUR eyes prefer.

To be able to have the diamonds for a couple of weeks & view in all kinds of environments-well--NOTHING would ever have me do it differently.

catia

Shiny_Rock
On another note, I got an email from Marie today & she has 3 old used vintage settings on the cheap & since this setting is gonna be temporary, I'm excited & gonna choose one of them. I'm btwn 2 of them, will post pics later, am on BF's computer now.

I wasn't expecting this twist and am quite happy about it!!!

I am partial to 1 & BF is partial to another.

So, since it's a temp setting, I can have some fun--maybe--& let BF choose--But not so sure I should let a man hopped up on vicodin chose anything LOL --these pills tend to make IQ points drop,*big time* without the person who is taking them even being aware.
I will be sooo glad when this is all done.

***BF's surgery was post-poned***--well, that's not exactly true--what is true is that he was given the wrong date-By the surgeon-& the surgeon doesn't even perform surgeries on Fridays...How's that for a skrew up??? So it's now rescheduled for next thursday.
We found this out by accident. So now, it's back to 1 week & counting down.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Catia... thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!
I am so sorry to hear that your BF's surgery was postponed! I hope you are both hanging in there! What a bummer. :(

I'm going to try to post a few pictures of the L that I currently have at home. I used a piece of flat, white cardstock for the background. I don't think I'm "too" sensitive to color, I'm a photographer and I'm usually pretty good at picking up tints and undertones. But even my husband's first thought about this stone is that it's "yellow". Let's see if the uploads work....

It is a beautiful stone, but (to me) it just has a light "citrine" color to it.
So, I went ahead and purchased the 1.87 J SI1 today, and should have it in the next day or two. I decided to keep this L here at home so I can view the 2 of them side-by-side. And I know that the J will have less color, but that's ok. I like a "warm" diamond, but my husband doesn't necessarily want a "colored" stone in my wedding ring. So hopefully, I will get a nice, rich, warm white with a J.

Let me know what you think about this L in the photos above. Am I crazy, or is it yellow??

Thanks!!
Can't wait to see your new-old "temporary" setting!!

052312_0045.JPG

052312_0044.JPG

052312_0048.JPG

052312_0050.JPG

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
The faint lemony tint looks tasty! :lickout: Thanks for starting this thread OP and good luck with everything!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Dougsgirl

I have had an L AVC and upgraded (for the size, not colour) to a 1.82 J SI1 AVC. From what you say I think you will be very happy with the colour of the J.

catia

Shiny_Rock
I'm thankful you're handy with a camera!!! i felt so bad not having pics.

yes, it does have a light lemonade color--lemony for sure, so that citrus glow isn't you being sensitive as far as what the pics show.

Man is that stone a BEAUTY though!!!

I also lean more towards the brownish hues than yellow, so I totally understand where you are coming from. The women who love the pale yellows would go ga-ga over that stone!!! I'm going ga-ga over it--but I also know that it'd not be for me.

My issue with the yellowish hues isn't because I do not like yellowish stones.

It's strictly because the color looks awful against my skin IMHO--it's the same reason why I do not wear yellow gold--it just doesn't look good with my skin tone, it gives a 'sickly' reflection with my skin tone, a yellow gold chain around my neck isn't attractive--my skin picks up the color in a weird way.

On other people though, I've been jealous how amazing those colors look. I also can't do clothing with yellow tones, unless it's got a green undertone--then it's fine.

Your stone size is bigger than mine. The bigger the stone, the more tint/color/hue you will notice.

It's a great idea that you're gonna view both--I can't wait to see pics of the J also.

Keep posting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results