shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Round OEC N color-nervous!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Hi Catia,

Glad to hear you found "the one" for you :appl:

Matt at GOG sent me an email this morning about the J, but I think someone else might have dove right in because they were ready to buy it sight unseen (without additional pictures etc). Maybe it's a PS lurker :cheeky:

I didn't want to thread jack with my dilemma but I'm actually still on the fence about the J. It doesn't have fluorescence, and I really want that cool blue glow, but the J is a nice size where I shouldn't need an upgrade from that size :naughty:

I was really hoping to see more pics to help with my decision, but diamonds are really hard to photograph! :nono: :wink2:

Congrats again on finding your ideal rock :D :appl:

D

Deactivated member 42515

InnaR said:
Christina... said:
In fact your 2 post seems to imply more of an attack on a specific vendor than Catias entire thread screams product placement.

Again, I said what meant to say. I would love to see a Pricescope be a balanced consumer community. For now i'm just going to wait and see what would be a reaction of the regular poster on customer's decision to buy a stone that performed amazingly well under Lowes lighting.
You are so negative. So what if that was the moment that showed her that it was the one? You are making this happy occasion for her into a controversial discussion.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is true. High spot lighting like that found at Lowe's makes most well cut diamonds go bananas. It is not fire per se in that environment either, as often there are overhead windows mixing in natural light. The mix of spot lihgting and natural filtered overhead lighting is one of my favourite places to view my own diamonds, all of them. My modern rounds and also my OECs look great in that environment. I did not notice if catia compared a few stones in that environment to help her pick, but that is my recommendation.

Actually, I recommend picking based on what the stones look like in the environments where you spend the most time. My personal test is my office, in which not all diamonds excel.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Metal halide lighting, as you often get in big stores and sports arenas, is known for its "shimmer effect."

One of my other hobbies is keeping reef tanks, and people often discuss the shimmer effect is has on a tank and the corals. It's hard to get with other types of lighting (fluorescents, LEDs, etc.). Halogen lighting also tends to make diamonds sparkle. I'm not smart enough with the lighting types to tell you why metal halide lights produce this effect, but they do.

catia

Shiny_Rock
SIGH, i JUST SPENT 2 HOURS TYPING OUT MY ENTIRE EXPERIENCE & TIMELINE & IT IS NOT HERE. URGHHHHH!!!!
Maybe I will try again later.

Suffice to say, I think it's a shame InnaR has the opinion he/she does.

Perhaps he/she didn't read the ****Subject Title****.
The Subject title is:
***************** "AUGUST VINTAGE ROUND OEC N COLOR..."*********************

This is the only logical conclusion I can come to.

I work with the public, I am a civil servant. Not a diamond person. (i did want to be an archaeologist as a child because i love rocks & am fascinated by all kinds).
Anyway--
It is specifically my job to explain things (to death) to the general public in plain language so that they can understand both simple terms & also complicated language like state & federal laws & regulations & their rights concerning such.

It's specifically my job to be clear & to repeat myself & their instructions until the *lightbulb* moment of understanding is reached.
This is the most difficult & frustrating part of my job.

LOL maybe my work is bleeding into my personal stuff & writing.
It is the necessary evil of my work, but once they understand, I *know* I have done my job & sleep well at night.
I can't tell you the amount of times I have lost sleep over a person not understanding something important that will affect their ability to make an informed decison that will affect their life in ways that can't be undone.
I follow these cases until they understand, or stop listening, which ever comes 1st.

Often times, it is my direct experience that the public just doesn't read what is right in front of them.
The plain simple stuff is usually what they miss, or misunderstand.
Often they just complicate the simple stuff looking for deeper meaning.
Most times the big bold print is what they missed.
This is ACTUALLY the case more often than not.
If this were not IN FACT the case most of the time, I'd not have my job in the 1st place, which is funded by the very public I serve daily :)

So, it was my sole intention to be EXTREMELY CLEAR in describing exactly what I was looking at & my personal thoughts.

This entire post was specifically about my experience/decision making process with GOG --AVR/AVC

NATURALLY it's gonna have a LOT LOT LOT of references to Good Old Gold-and August Vintage.

I'm a logical person, & operate daily on the "KISS protocol"--because that is what I have been trained to do.
This thread is simple "cause & effect" of the very SUBJECT matter at hand.

If you came to this subject topic expecting to read about something else, about a different diamond type or a different vendor, well, naturally you are going to be disappointed, because that was not the subject.

catia

Shiny_Rock
dreamer d--I have another question for you--where was it you purchsed that setting with the fishtail like corners for your OEC?
I've been trying to find thae post all week-I can't find that post here or on the other site & I remember you said the prices were good.
I'm looking for a cheaper temporary setting til I can afford to have my dream setting made and want to see what they have.

(*off subject*--LOL- I have been in direct contact with DreamerD off PS about her diamond she has/had up for sale--a serious beauty of an OEC-and she explained some stuff to me & also has a serious eye for these rocks & is more daring in her endeavors than I am---BF & I needed the GIA or AGS cert & trade up policy & guarantee to be comfortable at this point, it is our 1st diamond purchase ever.
You can search her posts for some serious OEC info & absolutely phenomenal pics and there's a video of her stone as well)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
catia - I just want to say that I have enjoyed reading your reports on the GOG AVRs and AVCs in the lower colors. I would love to purchase a lower color AVC, so your impressions are of great interest to me. So glad that you have picked out your stone, and prayers that your BF gets better soon. Blessings on your future life together. :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is it: http://diamondbistro.com/category/196/Rings/listings/24564/Beautiful-Vintage-Style-Fishtail-Setting.html

I don't think I would use it, though, for your diamond. After wearing it for a while I don't personally like how enclosed the basket is, and the large fishtail prongs got in the way of appreciating the beauty of the shape of the stone. I took my own diamond out of it this week and really loved it loose so much more. That is not how you should feel: You should love your diamond set. Just my opinion.

catia

Shiny_Rock
dreamer_D--I really do like the setting you have-
but i know it wouldn't look right for a cushion- i thought they might have something else I like--but didn't see anything. Is this person a private seller or reselling amcor? I am confused.
I went to amcor site also & saw zilch I liked.

Have any suggestions on a temporary 14kt WG super budget setting for a square cushion? something not completely plain. needs to be OK enough to wear--integrity wise-- for the next year possibly longer. SUPER CHEAP for 6mmx6mm stone--under $300. Used is fine as long as it's stable.
I want this stone set so I can wear it already!!!

***I seem to be having an issue posting here--for whatever reason--each time I try to post my timeline & info etc-re my diamond search experience-the messages never show up** has happened 3 times in the past 24 hrs.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this thread. I've really loved your comments, so thank you for sharing your journey.

I was looking for a cheap/temp setting recently and came across www.25karats.com - who seem to be selling settings similar to Unique Settings of New York settings (they could even be the same settings!). I have no idea of the quality, but here is an example - http://www.25karats.com/enr/style/view/6144-diamond-bridal-ring-0-03-ct-tw-.html also see it here on the USNY site http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/26978.. GOG carry USNY so maybe you could ask what they can do for you.

I also came across this combo deal, which seems to be quite good value - http://shadora.com/products/1-carat-tdw-certified-diamond-bridal-set-in-14k-white-gold.. I have no idea who Shadora are. I'm not in/from the US so I'm not sure if it's legitimate! Maybe you know who they are?

Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure if they are suitable - but just thought I'd share.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and just in case anyone wants/needs to know - I'm not affiliated in any way with GOG, 25karats, USNY, Shadora - or any other vendor! :lol:

catia

Shiny_Rock
I hadn't thought about contacting GOG for a *cheapie temporary setting*--didn't even cross my mind that they *might* have one.
LOL ***light bulb moment*** Dunno why it never occurred to me!!!!

Honestly, I'd feel MORE comfortable getting a setting there & the diamond actually set by GOG, having everything done in 1 place I trust.
I don't want to deal with other people right now & trying to find a reputable jeweler in my area, I tried that road & was worse for the wear.
I'll contact GOG this week to see--they're not open again til Tuesday.
I think it is the words *budget & cheap* is why I didn't think about asking, but it never hurts to ask.

I did get a quote for my custom setting from them & need to save up for that because custom *is expensive*.

Now due to circumstances with BF, his surgery & extended time off work, we have to lock down our budget big time for at least the next year.
I was gonna pull out on the entire diamond/ring issue last week, it was just too much for me, with all of this going on, & BF said not to, to keep the rock regardless, & we'll figure the rest out as we go.
I'm the frugal/methodical one in this relationship-- I got him to agree to put off the custom setting for budget sake, I just flat refuse to do it right now, since there's just too many variables on how everything is gonna go, & it's just my income now, so that was the 'compromise', since the rock was already budgeted for.
Well that & we might have to just do a JP thing & no honeymoon.
Good thing we've been together so long, it's not so much of a big deal, just really paperwork to finalize something we already have been doing--but it does ***totally suck*** the romance out of it for the both of us.
LOL after 14 years & raising his daughter, being responsible role models 24/7, & getting her into college, we were loooking forward to finally having some *freedom & ***PRIVACY** & romance....You know--the things that are impossible when kids are in the house!!! So if I sound like I'm whining, I supposed I am, but he's much more down on it all than I am right now, so I'm keeping him in perspective.

I don't wanna be stuck with a rock I can't wear that sits in a box!!! So gotta figure something. I want this puppy on my finger!!!!
Gonna check out those links.

Good Old Gold *does custom settings* now--so FYI for that--i think this is a recent occurrance. Marie is the one who handles that.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
It looks like GOG has at least a couple of 14K solitaire settings (but no price on the site). I'm sure they have more in stock or access to them.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow Maisie--I ***REALLY*** do like that. Thank you!

If you see anything else please post it here--i really like your taste.

**question--it says 8mm--that's the smallest for the fleur-de-lis--my stone is apx 6mmx6mm --does that mean it's not gonna fit?
I like this one too: http://www.stuller.com/products/24068/?groupId=87933&recommendationSource=productpagerec

I can't seem to find them when i do a products search--just found it cuz it was at the bopttom of the page--how do I find a way to view all of the basket/head/setting things whatever they are called?

...Rings in parts?! I had no idea. Is it more affordable that way?
Would it cost more in labor?
I have no idea what it costs to set a diamond.

Jeeze...and here i just learned the diamond terms--now I gotta learn ring terms--is that 1st one the basket?
I have no idea how to describe what I am wanting...

...How's this?:
Wanted 'assembled' super budget priced vintage look white gold semi-mount to wear my rock to Lowe's & get my chunky fire blastage fix...

LOL I spend so much time at Lowe's I should just live there anyway.

Saw my rock get nice & dark like a champagne in the new supermarket lights-OOOOOOOOOOhhhhh Yeah!!!
-have no idea what they are.

Since i have 99% cfl's in my house, it dances there too--especially under naked bulbs. Added bonus.
Have been considering moving to LED since they're even lower wattage & last so so long--but those bulbs are wayyyy expensive to change out the whole house.
***I DO have an 85 lumen LED head lamp--I can just wear that everywhere I go!!!

This becomes a sickness quickly. I like to take special breaks just to gaze at my stone.
Why do you think this happens??? Seriously? No wonder in ancient times it was thought gems had magical powers.
Who am I to doubt?!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Lotus99|1336939375|3194432 said:
It looks like GOG has at least a couple of 14K solitaire settings (but no price on the site). I'm sure they have more in stock or access to them.

They have at least one that is below or close to $300, catia. Their basic peg-head setting. I emailed them about it once.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Catia, I really enjoyed reading your thread because I considered an AVC and AVR at one point. OF COURSE you're going to mention the name of the specific cuts because they're proprietary to the one store you purchased with, and of course you're going to mention light performance in conjunction with it because that's the whole reason you'd buy one versus an OEC (other than ugprade policy, return policy, etc). Your thread was very informative about lower color stones and will be very helpful to someone with a budget who wants to drop down in color and is worried. Great job!

Regarding setting, email Marie at GOG directly (I don't work for GOG either, InnaR) and give her your budget and wants (18K white Gold - you can save a little on 14K), something not completely plain, size of the AVC, etc. She knows all the catalogs and manufacturers, and will be able to steer you to your options. I believe they carry Unique Settings of NY, too. There will probably be a $30 fee shipping it back, fyi, if you want to budget that in. If you can't find anything other than a plain solitaire band - I wonder if they can add some milgrain for you for a little extra (if you like that)? Another option is to send IDJewelry your budget and see their options, and have them send the setting to GOG for setting (of course, that adds extra shipping and possibly a setting fee - which eats into your budget). Good luck!

glitterpants

Rough_Rock
I've really enjoyed reading your posts and comparisons. I'm also debating avr vs avc for a future purchase.

For settings- Have you considered getting a plain solitaire setting with (hand) engraving added on? Also, check out etsy.com too. This may not be your style at all but this seller does twig solitaire settings that I think are so cool. Last I checked (a while ago), the settings ran about $500ish so a little out of budget: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bmjnyc?page=1

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
catia|1336992736|3194745 said:
Oh wow Maisie--I ***REALLY*** do like that. Thank you!

If you see anything else please post it here--i really like your taste.

**question--it says 8mm--that's the smallest for the fleur-de-lis--my stone is apx 6mmx6mm --does that mean it's not gonna fit?
I like this one too: http://www.stuller.com/products/24068/?groupId=87933&recommendationSource=productpagerec

I can't seem to find them when i do a products search--just found it cuz it was at the bopttom of the page--how do I find a way to view all of the basket/head/setting things whatever they are called?

I didn't see the 8mm size part. I don't know if they can order in different sizes. I just love that setting. Its so pretty and vintage looking. Its worth asking GOG to enquire about different mm sizes.

catia

Shiny_Rock
I totally forgot I have an old (brand new) semi-mount that i bought maybe 10 yrs ago from Oxford diamonds off ebay--it's for a round apx 3/4 to 1ct
here is a pic--
Can a cushion be mounted in a round setting without too much hassel since it has rounded corners?

it's not my ideal setting, but I have it & if i can use it--that'd solve the problem.

If a 6mm x 6mm cushion can't be mounted in a round setting--should i be looking for square & princess types?

my sapphire mounting.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting!!! That seems perfect for the AVC.

Email GOG and ask - they'd know in an instant if it would work! I think it would look STUNNING set in there!!

catia

Shiny_Rock
I just emailed Marie at GOG, will call them soon.

I do love the setting, I looked at oxford diamond store on ebay recently, when I dug this out of a drawer--they don't have it listed anymore, but probably could order it for someone.
I would love it more if those tiny side stones were rubies or lighter blue. It's not my ideal for an E-ring, but since it'd be only temporary, I'd have no issue using it for a year or so & then get my ideal setting made.
I set the cushion in the mounting--looks OK-if they can use this setting--I hope when it's mounted those prongs arent too big.

If they cannot set it in this setting, I like the effect of this setting that shows a tiny bit of metal around the diamond--the pic with the purple stone.
I also LOVE the fleur-de-lis & the scroll basket things...

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to setting it in a thin bezel with a line of milgrain if that type of setting wouldn't take away from the light underneath & not block facets on top around the edges--saw one in rose gold...

Since this setting is temporary, I feel like it's OK for me to play with something I'd probably get tired of...know what I mean?

23971-100002-p-14kw-like the metal showing on edges-stuller.jpg

24459-comp-2-scroll-stuller.jpg

stuller-fleur-de-lis-setting.jpg

catia

Shiny_Rock
Called Marie at GOG--I am so glad I did!
Marie is quick & to the point with her responses & opinions & right now that's just what I need!
In a quick 5-8 min converstaion, she removed a TON of stress I've had about this.

She gave me options & they do have a few budget settings--
She looked at my pics of the setting I have but needs it to be looked at by their setter because I also need it sized down from a 6 or 6.5 to a 4.75 finger size.
They gotta see if that will affect anything with the little stones set in it (melee? dunno what it's called).

She said mail everything back in 1 shot--both diamonds & also the setting shown above.
And that since it's their diamond & they'll be setting it either in the setting I have or a budget setting of theirs, I am covered.

I asked about the pics I sent (same ones posted above) from Stuller's site for a back-up basic budget setting & explained I like the metal showing, she looked it up immediately & said the side is pretty too & needs to see if stuller carries it in 6mm x6mm size. She said not everything is listed on the site, she has a catalogue that has more info.

So, here is where I am--with some help from Marie--I told her I do want to have my *ideal* setting made & just need temp setting til I can get that one done.
This is basically what she said: "don't waste $$ then on the temp mounting, if it's not the setting you want. If GOG can use the setting you have, if my guys can get it done, they will, if not, go with a basic setting & I will see what we have that's similar to the pics you sent".

Problem solved. I'll get my diamond set by them in whichever setting & save for the one I really want. YAY!!!!
I don't have to worry about trying to find a local jeweler to set my stone,.
If my sapphire setting can't be used--they have something in my price range. WOOOOOOHOOO!!!!

Hoping they can use the setting I have cuz that's more $$ I can save towards the setting I want--which is the ruby one I posted a pic of.

So now, all I have to do is find the time to cut the grass at BOTH houses-since BF is all gimped up & find movers since I can't do this myself, & our move is now behind.
Man oh man the things you don't think about--like cutting the grass--what took BF less than an hour to do is an all day process for me cuz the lawn mower is too heavy & drags me down the sloped part of the yard...which is most of the yard.
So it's me & a weed-whacker or pay someone a ridiculoulous amt of $$--whatever happened to teenagers who did yardwork in the neighborhood for realistic price??? Teens today don't want to work.
The boys in my neighborhood I could find wanted $100 to cut my yard!!! $100 for less than an hour & I provide the mower & weedwhacker??? Sigh. Is there something wrong with me that I think a teenager asking $100/hr is just unrealistic? it's not landscaping, just a mow!--****sorry for the sidetrack.**** I'm just overwhelmed & wasn't prepared for all of this!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try craigslist under "services lawn garden" -- we found a college kid who comes w/his own mower & even edges for $40.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! That's great news! :) Can't wait to see what they can do!

Ummm..good luck on the lawn? :tongue: I was confused when I saw Deco's reply but then read your entire post. hehe

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catia, I have really enjoyed following along on your diamond search. Whenever the day comes that I get a diamond RHR, I want an AVR or AVC, and am torn on which one, so it was interesting to read your descriptions of their different looks. IMO the N AVC will look just fine with ruby sidestones. I don't recall whether you wanted platinum or white gold, but imo if you did creamy unplated white gold with the rubies and your AVC, the whole ring would just scream antique decadence (let's be real - it's going to do that anyway). Have you contacted ERD about a setting? I still really think they would be the best to do it, and could get the rubies and antique look just right for you.

It's funny that I caught up on your thread today because I was JUST at Lowe's buying some paint and outdoor cushions, and I always love admiring my jewelry in their lighting too.

InnaR, she didn't JUST look at these diamonds in Lowe's lighting though. She looked at them at home, at her office, outside, and in her car. With those lighting sources she was torn between them. The Lowe's lighting was just one aspect of the very lengthy process Catia went through to select her diamond. And if she wants to exclaim about how, after having ordered and looked at numerous diamonds, she was most impressed by GOG's branded cuts and their performance, so what? Her opinion, as a consumer, is that GOG's cuts are the best for her. She's not running around to the posts of people looking for round brilliants or modified cushion brilliants and telling them to buy August Vintage. She's saying, IN HER OWN THREAD ABOUT HER OWN DIAMOND SEARCH, that she was most impressed by GOG's cutting and they are the right stones for her. That's completely fair "prosumer" behavior. "Prosumer" behavior doesn't mean giving equal time to each vendor and style, but being honest about one's impressions and opinions, good or bad.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Am up having my coffee, and a quiet drama free moment ;-) Hopefully this will post!

I'm not overly concerned about InnaR's opinion about this thread, because it just doesn't make a valid point. Obviously they paid no attention to the subject matter at hand, so I don't want to focus on that negativity.

For those of you who are loving AVR's & AVC's--it **IS*** a difficult choice between the two shapes.
If you have the ability to view both-I'd suggest you do it.
A round performs differently than a cushion in the way it sparkles & you gotta figure out which type of sparkle 'does it' for your eyes.

Since both are chunkier than modern type of cuts, you're gonna get chunky fire & brilliance regardless.

If I left anyone thinking the AVR wasn't firey--I do want to clarify some things--The AVR is firey & brilliant.The brightness suprised me, because I just have not seen stones so bright in that cut. That does have to do with light return IMHO & also OEC cut with those chunkier facets.

I'm not a diamond person, so what I was seeking probably isn't the same, or in balance with what someone who is into diamonds looks for.
***I wanted an *EXTREME* amount of fire in my stone. That's what 'does it' for me. I chose the AVC because I got *super power chunkage type of fire*--the faceting is different, chunkier, the shape is different & those big chunks make my brain frazzle.

About color:
.i.e.: lower colors on the grading scale (not fire):
--I'm probably not ever gonna understand the necessity some have for the higher colors. Yes, I understand totally colorless is more rare, but I don't equate that to 'better'.
I went into my search looking for colors J & lower. This wasn't for budgeting purposes. We already had the stone budgeted for.
For all of the stones I have looked at in my home/work/life environment, I I did not look at 1 stone above a J, this was by personal choice.

I personally just do not appreciate the steely, cold like affect of the higher colored diamonds, most especially in these chunky cuts.
It doesn't 'do it' for me. In a modern cut, I might feel differently, but I wasn't ever considering a modern cut for my e-ring.

For a moment I got caught up in the worry about body color, because I was letting outside influence affect me a bit, because there is a lot of hype here on PS about color.

I stated I didn't want a 'yellow' body color stone-meaning obvious yellow--like the fancy yellows-this is true, I knew I didn't want that.
In order to figure out where the yellowish tint is, I needed to view in person, a pic just won't help to decide, & neither will those color charts. There are so many things going on inside a diamond in different lighting sources, if you are considering a lower color, in person viewing is essential to making a decision.
***Not sure if I was clear, but a *brownish body color* was just fine for me, & wouldn't bother me a bit. I absolutely ADORE champagne like/light brown colored diamonds.

When I took the N colored stone away from the J, I realized the body color of the N did not matter to me.
The (AGS graded) N color did not have an effect like a yellow fancy or even light fancy yellow.

Yes, there is a *cream soda* slight body color tint that I did notice when I had the N next to the J.
(i do not know how much of a difference AGS/GIA color grading difference there is, if any)

In this color range, body color is *very slight* in a stone of this size, which is 1ct.

--I think maybe under 2 ct's slight body color it is not much of an issue.
The brilliance & fire is going to play with your eyes much more so than any slight tint--that's my opinion.

It's not like the stone is gonna look like a citrine or a topaz in this AGS color range, & that's more what I was worried about--
This was the ***mind clean***hurdle I needed to figure out for myself.
To be clear:
I wanted some tint in my diamond to get past the 'steely /cold' effect that I personally do not like.
I also wanted my diamond to be ****obvious as a diamond & not mistaken for some other type of stone.***
This was my ***mind clean*** goal.

When I looked at the stones apart from each other, the N's slight body color just ended up being something for me that did not matter.

When I saw how the N color AVC ***exploded***under Lowe's lighting--***MUCH**more so than any other cushion I had viewed (this was my 5th cushion,and 2nd AVR), my search was over.
I do however disagree with InnaR that even a poorly cut stone will perform "well" in this lighting-Maybe this lighting helps a poorly cut stone perform well for a poorly cut stone-if that is what you are comparing--***this is NOT*** what I was comparing.

The other stones I viewed *did* sparkle & dance in this lighting & other lightings--just not close to the degree the AVC did.

I equate this obvious difference to the cut quality, & light performance, period.
My N colored AVC is an AGS Ideal in light performance.
The difference in the ASETS between previosuly viewed stones & the AVC is obvious.
What I DID NOT KNOW BEFORE was what that meant to the ***NAKED EYES* of the viewer.
...Now I KNOW.
The other cushions I had viewed were ALL GIA graded EX/EX & EX/VG, J color, VS2 & above (even viewed a J-IF EX/VG)(all cushion brilliants & 1 modified cushion brilliant not crushed ice that was beautiful).

The stone I chose is an AVC 1.04 N SI-1 AGS Ideal (light performance) Ex/EX(polish & symmetry).
The stone ROCKS!!!

I also can't stress enough how happy I am with the clarity--that was my biggest suprise, & that comes down to how well your vendor chooses the stones, it comes down to where the inclusions are, if they are hidden in facets etc.
I have seen higher clarity stones with visable inclusions.
I was told this stone is not eye clean, but you really gotta try HARD to see anything, & I stare at this stone a LOT.
I only see a slight something with a loupe or if I look hard at 3-4 inches from my nose on an angle, i *might* get a glimpse of something.
It looked a mess on the AGS report--I thought I saw something in the video for a split second--which is blown up big & in HD.
--In person--to the naked eye--you just don't see it.

Now as far as budget--yes, you will get ***more stone** for your $$ going farther down the color chart.
You gotta 1st figure out where your *mind clean* level is for color, & also know that colors other than yellow do/will/can appear--you can get yellow, brown, gray etc.
& also you can get even more bang for your buck moving down the clarity chart--I was more scared of poor clarity.

Further clarification on color:

**** Slight body tint is *totally* different to the full satuation that you will see even in light fancy graded colors. ***
The body color I reference is a slight tint--not a full saturation.
At full saturation, the entire stone will appear that color obviously most of the time.
With a slight tint (k-l-m-n-o etc), it's not full satuaration--that's the best I can explain the tint affect.
You might get a slight yellow K-L-M-N-O-P or slight brown or even grayish, you still get a LOT of white though.
It really is a matter of seeing it in person to see where the slight tint appears to be to your eyes, & which tint you lean more towards.

What a D-E-F-G color fan might view as yellow will not be the same as what you may view as yellow. They seem to call anything below a G 'yellow'. Yellow isn't the only tint color.

And if I were ever going for a halo type of setting, I'd not hesitate to put white melee all around my N to HELP show the slight tint. I've seen some rings in 'show me the bling' that do this--and I LOVE that effect.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about white-white diamonds seeming cold. I like warmer colors too, especially L/M/N/O because they feel "friendly" to me when I look at them and that gives me warm fuzzies. The tint is more akin to using an off-white paint color on your "white" walls than anything else, imo. If your wall is "eggshell" or "cream" or something, it is going to look to most people as "white" unless you hold up something white-white next to it.

catia

Shiny_Rock
So, today the verdict is in :)
GOG got both diamonds & my setting today --the 0.93 J is back--I seriously hope it goes to a PS'er so we can see more of it, the stone is such a beauty-whoever gets it will be elated with it. I wanna see what it looks like set! YayTacori's pics outdid everything I attempted to do, which just was a blur--her pics are the best in real life pics & her photography skills deserve serious KUDOS!!!

Marie said no problem with using the setting I sent to them, so far as the size/shape of my diamond.
I'm double checking on the sizing to a 4.75 issue with her just to be sure everything is okie dokie.

I asked for a pic of the ring once it's set, because I SUCK at trying to photograph jewelry & don't have the time right now to learn how.

I apologise for not getting you all pics, I might have 1 or 2 that will post that are not a fuzzy mess, but most were a blur.

So, if all goes full speed ahead, I'll be using this setting temporarily for the cushion while I save for my dream setting.

I have no idea what this temp setting will look like once set--I just can't picture it even though I set the stone in the mounting.
Finished product is different.
So I wait with baited breath & hope those prongs aren't too big & don't block facets.
I don't know jewelry & have no idea what to expect--there are so MANY things you have to consider when choosing a setting & a diamond shape, things I never would have thought about before reading on PS.
Either way, it's a temp setting, so it's ...temporary...
I'm just relieved that it's finally gonna be on my finger soon!!!

Of all things--i forgot to ask how long the setting & sizing process takes--asked Marie via email today.

LOL I am kinda sad in a way that it's gonna be set--I enjoyed showing people face up/face down & looking at all of the facets--
For me it is fun to play with rocks of any kind--but showing others loose diamonds is an extra special treat.
I even gave a short tutorial about color to a few people when I had the stones :)--so a few more people now understand about where the color differences are between a J & an N.
And LOL--people think I know something about diamonds--and I guess now, I do--limited as it may be!!!

my sapphire mounting.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on all of this coming together!! I'm so happy for you Catia, that you have the diamond, now you can have it set - not tooo painfully, financially - and you will sparkle with the best of 'em!!! Horray!

You are a very descriptive writer and I have really enjoyed all of your posts - you really paint a visual picture with words. Quite the skill, I must say! Please keep posting as this process goes along (even feel free to describe your front lawn to us :lol: :lol: )

So glad this is working out for you! We all learned a lot thru you! Thanks :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results