shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Round OEC N color-nervous!

catia

Shiny_Rock
I gave up on trying to find an antique OEC, & decided to go for one newly cut, with all of the documents, AGS etc, light performance, reliable certs etc., since in the end, for me, buying one with an EGL for same price/size etc did not make sense.

So I was between a few stones with Good Old Gold.

I love the faceting design on this one, have been looking at it for a while, but was afraid because it is a N color.
It is 1.02 N VVS2

I do want some warmth, but not bright yellow, I am looking for ivory/vanilla/butter cream--so we shall see!!!

The 2nd choice I had got snatched up the day I 1st saw it, it was a "J" & a tad bit smaller was 0.93, the J was my conservative color choice--the N is well--I dunno--never saw one in person.

***I saw an M of coatimundi's on PS that I just DROOL over--her's just blew me away--but hers is a ***freakin boulder***
something like 2.94ct LOL--mine is a *tiny* 1.02--I am hoping for the same color effect though.
I know it gets difficult when trying to compare warmer or lower colored diamonds, some are yellowy, some are pale brown etc.

I

Opinions of the ASET & scans & pics please!
The ASET & other red scanner thing looked good, but the reds look odd to me, so want some input!!!

ASET_AVR-102.jpg

AVR-102-Diamxray.jpg

AVR-102-N-VVS2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to see it in person to know how you feel about the color! Listen to you gut! You will know pretty soon if it is right for you.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definetly going to be notiable. You can only decide for yourself. I think in an old type cut, the N will be fine. I have an M in a true OEC and I love it, faces up fairly white. Let us know what you think.

Kekoa82

Rough_Rock
Just thought I would chime in on the ".93 J August Vintage". I was looking at this stone and talked with someone from Good Old Gold about it, I think it is just being "borrowed" right now, with the intent of getting sent back.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
What are the measurements of this N 1.02c?? what about the I .82 si2? Faces up almost 6x6mm. I looked at the "fancy" one and it is an OP "very light brown" graded by GIA. Personally I would like the light brown tone better than the "yellow" tone in a warm stone. You can ask the color tone of this N. There is also an .83 M vvs i believe....can't find your N on their list...maybe it is not posted yet. But the ASET looks good to me. Good luck on your choice.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9272/

I know on another thread that Jon stated he was going to get more AVR's in soon. That .93 J si1 was lovely.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Kekoa82--
I was told by 2 people at GOG that it is gone, one on the phone, the other via email.

I'd have been heartbroken if the N was taken--because I wanted to see it so badly. I did get pics sent to me, but they weren't so good.

It's a pretty neat experience working with GOG so far. Wish I could've dealt with Jon on the color description part--he's pretty descriptive.

I saw another AVR N on here, a 1.18 & it was really pretty.

It is a strange place to be wanting some tint & not clear white but not wanting yellow--this stone was described to me by Matt as "watered down lemonade" LOL, I almost passed on it entirely.
But, over the phone with one of the women I spoke to, she said pulled it to view & said "more beige not lemonade"--

Aside from Jon being super descriptive-- IMO -Women seem to be more color sensitive than men, beige, ecru, off white, antique white, vanilla, butter-cream, old lace LOL--we see them all.

I'm pretty excited just to be able to view it in person.
I totally blew the budget on this one, and well, I'm stressing BIG TIME--BF doesn't seem to be stressed at all.

I'm just nervous it will not be a tint I want for my setting, it will be next to ruby.
I know it will be beautiful regardless, I just hope it's *THE ONE*--cuz I'm so tired of diamond shopping--
I can honestly say I do not enjoy it like the rest of you ladies, I find it quite a PITA!!! But that's totally my fault for wanting an OEC.
They absolutely MUST be viewed in person IMHO.
Wish I were a H&A lover--it's so much more simple!!!

Here is a pic of the setting I am trying to find someone to make & not having an easy go of it:

setting plat ruby.JPG

catia

Shiny_Rock
measurements are 6.44 x 6.45mm

I did see that fancy on the site--just a little smaller than i wanted.

I have pics of the 0.81M & a video I can post that has 3 different diamonds--the 0.93 J, the 0.81M & a 1.04 N Si 1 AVC if I figure out how to link to it.
http://vimeo.com/40164806

For some reason I can't post the AGS for the 1.02N won't load & keeps crashing the computer.

The N is no longer on the list because I purchased it.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so I just went through a total melt down, trying to get info that seems to be straightened out now.
But I just do not feel any better.

I was told I could call in today to get info--they would have a list of what AVR's they expected to receive in the next shippment from the cutter. I was told it's be weeks before they had the stones & exact specs, but the list of general expectations would give me an very general idea of what is coming...

If I decide this diamond is not the color for me, I can return it, but I will be charged for both the cost of shipping to me & the cost for me to ship it back.
I got a confusing email that wasn't clear from Darren. So I called Darren to clarify, after 10 min, it just kept going in circles.

I still could not understand what I *should* do if I decide this stone is NOT for me & need to ship it back. I just wanted a clear answer.

I was put through to Marie who cleared it up in 1 sentence, it is a simple enough return policy. And she explained the 2 different methods I could use & the differences. Good.

I will end up paying for shipping both ways if I do not want this diamond. Regardless if I do choose a different stone from them in the future.

I*****'m just sick to my stomach though. it's about the color of this stone.

It seems no one wanted to clarify it for me.

Marie asked if I want it shipped & I said I wanted her thoughts on where the color was 1st, since this is my last chance before shipping to get an idea-They already have the $$, it was wired to them, I assured her I was making a purchase through them regardless, I just wanted a last opinion before shipping.

I also asked if she could provide the info from the list for me, as I was TOLD to call in Tuesday for it.
No list is in. I asked about the J again, no response.

I asked-does this stone lean more towards beige or yellow?
She said, "well, it is WARM"--I said "I am not a diamond person, I don't understand what "warm" means, can you describe the actual color. Does warm mean yellow or body color, I don't know what warm means.
Marie said she doesn't like the term yellow & that she's not one for antique diamonds, but if she *had* to choose this N color it would only be in an antique cut like the AVR or the AVC. Just sounded like she did not like the diamond in general.
not looking good for me.

I would have much rather have been put through to someone who actually LIKES antique cuts, but I was feeling like I needed to make a decision, because she said "you really need to see it in person & decide if you like the color or not".

I "get" that--I just wanted to know if it was a DEFINATE YELLOW or not. Knowing this would save us all time & $$$ & hassel.
I told her I did not want a yellow, but beige/cream/vanilla would be fine.
No response. then I asked again & she said she thinks it *might be beige*.

Maybe they were busy, or maybe I am bugging them. Probably both.

I did not get a video of the N because I was told I only get 1 video, & I chose 2 other stones & the J for contrast for that video.
The N was not in it, because at that time I wasn't going to get it.
You must put a $500 deposit on each stone to get a video, so I did that.

I did not ask for one of the N.
Maybe I should have.

I'm having remorse & do not even have the stone.
I don't do well under pressure like this, I wanted to know an opinion of color before shipping, she wanted me to make a decision to ship or not--she wanted to ship it & have me view.

If she said "yes it is definately yellow" I would have said--"I will wait for the next shipment"--
I feel like it the excitement went down hill fast, like I was really bugging them.
I just wanted an answer. now I feel like a PITA.
I should have spoke up better or asked to speak to someone who likes antique cuts.

This totally sucks.
I'm not trying to be difficult, this is a tremendous amount of $$$ for me, I don't buy on credit...
We have saved for a LONG time.
& I had some direct questions, & they did not get answered.

I will have the stone tomorrow. And for whatever reason, it doesn't feel like a good thing.
Maybe they were having a bad day, don't know how this got all messed up.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I understand your nervousness and your case of almost buyer's remorse. This is a big ticket item you just bought, so that is natural. My suggestion to you is to take a deep breath, step back and try not to fret over this until you get the stone tomorrow :) Color is a very subjective thing, and we all have different tastes. I might see a stone and say it's too warm/yellow for me, and some might say my K is too yellow for them. So even if everyone at GOG had given you their honest opinion on whether or not the stone can be described as yellow - those opinions might not line up with yours.

At this point all you can do is wait. And fortunately you picked a vendor with a great reputation and a great return policy. If you don't like the stone and you're out a few $ because of the shipping, so be it. I'm pretty frugal with my money as well, and if this is just one of those times when you have to take a loss, that's fine, these things happen! But yeah, this might be completely irrelevant and you might love the N just the way it is, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

In the meantime, if it helps to look at pics of an M AVC, here is Love Street's thread, she has tons of great pictures:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feel-the-warmth-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feel-the-warmth-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/[/URL]

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Catia - stop, and take a deep breath!!

I totally understand freaking out about color; I was so stressed out for the few months before I was allowed to see my I/SI1 MRB e ring, and was constantly second guessing both the color and the clarity. And mine was coming in a custom made setting!

But at the end of the day, the price of shipping as compared to the price of the stone isn't too horrible. It's much better to be out 100-200 dollars rather than thousands (eg if there was no return policy). The diamond isn't set, so at the end of the day, you won't be out too much if you don't like it. And if you didn't order it to see it and someone else bought it, you would probably regret never seeing it.

But try to relax; you'll know tomorrow! Take it in a bunch of different lighting scenarios, take it to work with you, etc, and just see how you like it. Maximize that return period! If you have to send it back, it's not the end of the world! And if you love it, you'll be so glad you gave it a chance!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That does sound stressful, but there is nothing you can do till it shows up... and then... give it some time. I like atp's advice above - check it out EVERYWHERE and maximize that return period. You are wanting a warmer diamond but I don't think you are in the completely YELLOW zone quite yet as an N.

Sounds like you did a lot of due diligence so it should be fine - we always worry once we pull a trigger on a big $$$ outlay! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the stone when you see it! I hope it is just what you were looking for :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are being unreasonable to think people can describe color to you in words and have it make any sense at all, my dear. Their perception will differ from your will differ from ours. One reason their words are meaningless is diamonds of that tint look different in every lighting. ALL of those words you used will describe the diamond sometimes -- yes, even yellow!

If you are so nervous about an N color stone then keep looking. Or accept the possibility that you will waste the $150 return shipping to see the stone.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Hey, I'm not exactly sure why GOG is saying that the J is not for sale. I'm the one that ordered it on Friday and I sent it back today. I'm not keeping it. I need a bigger stone but wanted to take a look at the J SI1. When I talked to Marie on Friday, she said the J was going to be bought by someone when I gave it back but this morning she emailed me and said that the j is free again. They should have it again by tomorrow. The J really is very pretty. Have u seen the pictures I took in smtr?

catia

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I guess I gotta remember--in the end, the people I am dealing with are trying to make a sale, & there I am calling at lunch time asking questions.

I still got off the phone though with the distinct impression that the stone is yellow & she didn't want to say that "yes it is definately yellow".
Also i didn't get clear answers from her on my setting either. I was just asking basic questions-nothing complicated.
My question was :
Is the price you quoted for cast & cad???

I just felt like she wanted me to make up my mind right now about everything & I had not even seen the diamond yet, & no one would describe the color.

What I should have done was ask to speak with someone else, or said I'd call back later.
I should have stood my ground & got my answers.

I've seen probably every J K L M N O P QRST UV on here.
Cushions & OECs--there's a LOT of learning with those 2 shapes as far as cut & light return are concerned.
Originally I was going for an antique cushion because I didn't think I could find a well cut OEC & was tired of looking.

I've already viewed 4 cushions, 2 from diamondsonweb & 2 from James Allen.

Viewed tons on DBL & GOG websites & watched probably a thousand videos--no exaggeration.

I've been doing this every single day for months. I'm just tired of it.

If I could wave a magic wand I'd probably due a super pale champagne in an OEC or something leaning towards a slight super pale brown.
Or a really good OEC in the J range. problem is I want certs & an ASET.

Probelm is now that I know about light performance & all that jazz, I want the light performance!!!
--I've seen plenty of dead looking stones on others & thought that's the way most diamonds look-that they are only sparrkly in some light-sometimes-if just cleaned...
Now I know differently & searching takes work. Plus a super pale champagne OEC would be sooo hard to come by. So few vendors will do the light performance pics or ASET etc.

If this N isn't it, I think I'll try for a J in the 6.25mm range--if there is such a thing in my price range-- or maybe just do a band instead.

I really am way too stressed & expecting the stone is NOT what I want, & I'm not sure how it got to this point when I was just calling to ask a question.

I can take a well needed vacation with the $$ or buy a (used) car, all this anxiety & hassel & $$ over a tiny stone is just crazy to me.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1334699882|3173646 said:
You are being unreasonable to think people can describe color to you in words and have it make any sense at all, my dear. Their perception will differ from your will differ from ours. One reason their words are meaningless is diamonds of that tint look different in every lighting. ALL of those words you used will describe the diamond sometimes -- yes, even yellow!

If you are so nervous about an N color stone then keep looking. Or accept the possibility that you will waste the $150 return shipping to see the stone.

I completely agree with this. started a thread a week or so ago asking opinions from people who have owned K's, and the replies were all over the place, so in the end I knew almost as much as I knew when I started the thread. What I did learn though was that buying a K without seeing it first wasn't going to be an option for me, and like you I wasn't interested in sending stones back and forth.

I think that if you are having this much anxiety over the color then it may not be the right color or the right stone and I would wait to find something in the lower near colorless range when an option becomes available. FWIW an N even in an old cut would be too low for me, and if your hoping to never ever see any yellow then I think that you may be disappointed because I would bet that there will be some times when you will see some shade of it.

EDIT: I think it's also important to note that people see color differently. For instance my DH is constantly calling the color of a specific shirt blue, to me it's grey, but when I say wear the grey one,he looks at me funny and has no idea what I'm talking about. I think the same can be said for diamonds, more so even because at this color range they look different in different lighting environments. People have different tolerances for color as well, I think that my I looks colorless from face up, but if say diamondseeker where to look it she may say that it is definitely warm. I think it's more a case that they can't answer your question with any accuaracy, and there isn't any right or wrong way to answer it, for the reasons I just stated. For someone to tell you that 'nope you will never see yellow' could and probably would set you up to be disappointed and put them in a postition where the customer calls back yelling 'you told me I would never see yellow!'

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1334699882|3173646 said:
WORD! Listen ... you just don't "get it"! There is NO WAY TO KNOW if you're going to be sensitive to the color in that grade of stone w/o seeing one in person. You could have tracked down an "N" at an antique store near you to judge ... but ya didn't. You're choosing to take a gamble w/some $$ for the convenience of that exact stone coming to YOU.

"Beige" ... "Lemonade" ... "Gingerale" -- it is just impossible for anyone to tell you how YOU are going to describe it. The type of purchase you've decided on is possibly more expensive and time-consuming than just buying off the shelf MRB's that any random mall store is going to have a ton to check out color-wise, size-wise etc. There are no short cuts! Give into it! The expense.... the uncertainty ... the anxiety -- SURRENDER DOROTHY!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi catia,

Good advice has been given here. After showing a number of videos and/or photography (which speaks more than our words could ever say) the best thing is to see it live as you are doing. Before they shipped it out I heard my staff talking about this diamond and I myself brought it into a number of lighting environments to inspect. Marie's words are on target. It does take on a creamy white appearance in natural daylight ... antique lace is what comes to mind. She didn't want to use the word "yellow" as that is not the first word that comes to mind when you look at the diamond. Yellow is a bit harsh of a word to use for this.

Bottom line, we want you to be happy with your purchase and have policies in place to protect our clients not just during this process but even long after the sale is done. I'll subscribe to this thread and if there are any questions you have catia I'm happy to answer for you here or via phone.

All the best,
Rhino

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
catia said:
Or a really good OEC in the J range. problem is I want certs & an ASET.

Probelm is now that I know about light performance & all that jazz, I want the light performance!!!

Catia,
The thing is the certs & ASET doesn't make a certain stone to perform any better than any other good cut stone without cert.
I bought a 1.95c EGL N colored OEC from ebay seller last year for less than $5000. It had no certs, i just trusted my eyes and return policy. It's white! Not a D white, but a rich white with lot's a fire.
I also have 2.5 M transitional from nikki_knows_.... and it faces up pure white.
I also owned a much smaller branded antique cut stones, J and L that showed too much warmth to my taste.
I came to few conclusions.
Antique stones, if cut good hide color better than modern cuts (even modern vintage cuts).
The presence of color even in the same grade, would differ from stone to stone and from one pair of eyes to another.
What i'm trying to say, don't chase something that looks perfect on the paper, look for something that looks amazing on your finger. A bautiful diamond is a piece of art, and art is not a certificate filled with numbers and diagrams.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd just get it to at least look at it and satisfy your curiosity about how the color looks to you, to your eyes. I get the OMG OMG OMG stomach churning what the heck do I do thing tho, totally and completely. I'm like that. I had a five stone AVC ring that was gorgeous, J center and K sides and I could see a tint sometimes from the sides, didn't bother me. Now I have three M AVC's that sometimes look yellowish depending on the angle and the light-but I won't be wandering around w/my arm all cockeyed all the time, so I really doubt I'll see the "yellow" much. They're currently being set in a stock setting so I can play w/them tho and get to know them better. When they were loose and I had my husband help me take pictures of them, he kept saying "wow, they really are yellow aren't they?" and I'd look at him like, huh?? There's a tint at times, like a...color wash or something. But I also have a yellow chrysoberyl and is *yellow* thru and thru, and completely nothing at all like the AVC's. Aside from the "color wash", they mostly look vanilla-y. Vanilla ice cream isn't white, it's got a tint of yellow to it. Like if you're looking at paint chips...there are tons of white paint chips but they're not *white-white*, each has and undertone of green, blue, yellow, etc...and mostly you can't see what the undertone is until you compare it to another color.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, hon.

You've gotten excellent advice already, but I hope I won't be restating the obvious if I expand on two points.

First: color is subjective. Some people are incredibly color sensitive, and claim they can see color in stones F and below (having taken the GIA diamond-grading course and being a fairly accurate judge of color, if those people really think they can see color face-up in set stones, I think those people are either high or mutants, but that is beside the point), and some people literally cannot see how a faint yellow stone is different from a colorless stone. Hell, for that matter, some people - coughmyhusbandcough - can barely tell the difference between watermelon and mauve. So past a certain point, it sort of doesn't matter what anybody says - at GOG, on the board, whatever. It just matters what you think of it, and for that you need to get your hands on it. Is it worth gambling 150 bucks against the possibility of a much bigger stone? I'd say yes: I hope once it's in your hands you feel the gamble was worth it (and that you win the hand).

Second: I've noticed that almost everybody on the board who is searching - whether they're trying to maximize a budget or just find a glorious needle in the second-hand haystack - hits a point of feeling like it's work and not fun to shop for these astonishingly beautiful luxury items. I'm not chastising you here in the slightest: I'm sensitive to it because I did it six months ago. Once I found what I was looking for, I was on cloud nine, but three days prior? I felt pissed off at everybody from the dealers to board members who'd just scored great deals to loved ones for not understanding how urgent it all was. And, in retrospect? I needed to breathe. Check out vacation options. Maybe look at the earrings that budget would get me. Whatever - basically, get a palate cleanser.

I think that since you're already having that thought, you're ahead of the game. So ... do it! Give yourself a week to look at the stone, and think about what else that money could buy, to get excited, regardless of whether it's over a ring or something else.

You're a lucky lady, whatever you choose - but if you choose the ring, post pics for the rest of us! You have great taste in settings (read, my taste in settings), so I can't wait to see what you decide upon.

catia

Shiny_Rock
YayTacori---I'm pretty sure it was me who wanted that stone, cuz I was dealing with Marie on the setting. UGh!
I didn't see your post til today-just an hour ago. Thanks for some great pics!!!

The day you purchased it was the same day I tried to purchase, I had watched my video the night before & you beat me to it!
it wasn't even the stone I had on hold, it was the stone i had Matt use in my video for contrast of color LOL but when I saw the video, I was like--ooh--that one--the J--I asked him if it were eyeclean & then it was GONE!!!

I emailed Matt, then even called on Saturday & spoke to Linda (i think it was linda) to see if it was definately gone & she said yes, then Matt replied it was gone via email as well & I even asked him to let me know if it comes back. No one let me know it was back. And right now no one knows if it's available...MIA...

Since that J slipped so fast out from under me, I figured I'd better view this N or it'd be gone, but even in my last minutes before shipping I inquired about that J.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just got off the phone with Jonathan.
I didn't ask for him, but I got him!!!
Everyone else was gone for the day, but lucky for me he was there!
What a pleasure it was to speak with him.
I had no idea I could just ask for him directly when it comes to questions or videos.
***I feel a WORLD of goodness better!!!!

He's gonna find out about the J for me & assured me if I do not like the N there is no issue & I can return it.

What's cool was that he takes the time to explain things.
I totally wasn't expecting that!
I just figured he was too busy, but that's not the case.
If I had known, I'd have asked for him in the 1st place--
***AVR's are his baby***--so who better to speak with?!

Ah well, now I know. I had a "window-licker" moment--

Now I really wanna go there in person. EEEk!!
BF says that's totally doable.

Jonathan will take time out to talk to you.
We got to talk shop about these antique cuts--not near as in depth as what he does, LOL-- but on my level--
I got to get all geeky for a minute about how much math & work I understand goes into figuring these angles & faceting & cuts to make these AV OEC's WOW with their reflections. And they do WOW--which is why I want one!!!

Here's what excited me the most--and you gals who love seeing the culet will know exactly what I mean!!!
I actually got to say:
"I really love the faceting pattern with that large culet"
and he knew just what I was talking about.

Try that at any local jeweler!!!

I know it'll be hard to see the culet in person, but I do feel it gives me a depth I prefer--I am a dork & I will stare at this darn stone for hours, like a ferret, 5 inches from my nose-
-that's what I did with the others I viewed, and I do see the culet when it's cut-because i will hold it to the light to see it LOL.

Now to decide if this is the stone I will dorkily stare at like a ferret for shiny things ...for years

So now, I'm not worried, if I don't like the color of the N, no problem, I just might have to wait til the next shipment, probably in about a month, being their sparkly little butts ar parked in Antwerp.

Oh, & I got a color description!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes I know it's impossible to know for sure another's perception, but there is a distinct difference between lemonade & beige. Never drank a beige lemonade LOL!!!)

Jonathan heard part of my conversation on Saturday when I called & the N was pulled & I asked about color--
He actually remebered the stone being pulled & he said it's more ***creamy*** & **old lace**, but that I'll have to decide if I like it with my own eyes. It has been shipped, so I should have it by 10:30am.

Sooo, tomorrow will tell.
Even if the color is not for me, I know it's gonna be a beauty, as I haven't seen one AVR I didn't like yet--it's just a matter of color for me. I even love the R that's on the website.

I am horrible at taking pics but need to find my camera & at least attempt to take pics.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you got it all sorted out. Talk to him about the setting while you're there.
BTW, I paid $30 return shipping to GOG. Peanuts to see a diamond. Dunno where this $150 is coming from.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I also only paid 30 for each way.

And in Marie'a email this morning, she told me that her client purchased a different stone but now it is free for Matt's client. Weren't you working with Matt? Maybe if you asked again tomorrow they will have better details on the status of the J.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Catia - that sounds so much better to hear you "type" like that!!! I'm sooooo very glad you had the chance to speak directly with Jonathon and now your fears are put to rest! Yippee - he sounds like a wonderful man. The kind of business owner all others should aspire to be like :halo: (and I've never had any dealings w GOG, just what I've read on PS!)

I have a good feeling about this for you - and maybe now that YOU feel more positive, this N diamond just might be the right one for you after all. Its all in the attitude!

Very excited to read your thoughts, tomorrow at 10:31 am!!!! :D

D

Deactivated member 42515

J's aside :) I'm really excited for u to see the N. I've wondered how the AVR would look in a warmer color like mnop. I may be biased but I feel like the pastels show up more in the warmer colors. Not that I have been able to see a D and J side by side in real life... Haha but it's my biased warm tone loving opinion ;-) super excited for u

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
catia|1334700604|3173662 said:
Yeah, I guess I gotta remember--in the end, the people I am dealing with are trying to make a sale, & there I am calling at lunch time asking questions.

Just to be clear, that is not at all the point I was making with my post. This issue is totally separate from "trying to make a sale" and has everything to do with the concrete reality of diamond color: You cannot describe diamond color to another person in words. Not only do individual perceptions vary, but as I said before, the diamond's actual color will change dramatically accross lighting environments!

The only way to know how you feel is to see it in person. Full stop.

catia

Shiny_Rock
YayTacori, I too am so curious about this N--it can go either way.
There wasn't any question for me about the J though--but still I wanted to see the N.
Actually I wanted to see them both side by side but can't float that type of cash.

So how was the J in clarity if I may ask? could you see the crystal?

I saw a pic of a champagne OEC--had so many peppery inclusions--but it was just beautiful--looked like freckles--inclusions wouldn't bother me as much in a darker stone, but on a white stone, not so much. In that way I guess I am particular, but only on clear/white type stones.

Yes, I'm not near as stressed now. I'm just wayyy out of my element.

I don't expect to see no yellow, that's not what I'm after at all. I'm more after, since I am going for tint, I'd rather have it leam towards beige/brown--more milkshake than lemonade that's all.

For what it's worth, I'm sure some of you see yellow easily in a J colored diamond--Apparently I don't. Or at least I haven't yet in person.
I viewed 4 different J's, 3 were cushion brilliants & 1 was a modified cushion brilliant--none seemed even remotely yellow to me...Had then for a couple of weeks each.

---But, I painted my livingroom walls 3 times in 1 month to get the right shade of white, didn't want yellowy undertone or blue undertone LOL--BF said he could not tell the difference, but I definately could. I knew darn well he wasn't gonna help me the 3rd time LOL.

My mother had a D 1ct RB VVs1 --I didn't like the steely color, but did like the rainbows in the sun-that part was cool.

And I have gone to multiple stores trying to find warmer colored diamonds-both vintage & new-haven't found 1 that is ***admittedly*** under a K yet...
I say admittedly because the places to find vintage either make their own certificates or do EGL or no cert--so there was no way for me to get an idea for GIA or AGS level "N" color. They all said "we do not carry stones of that color". LOL what a crock. So I have been searching high & low for some type of color comparison.

Saw some crappy stones locally though. Seriously crappy. So crappy that even BF could tell the difference in a minute from the stones I had previouslly viewed from Diamonds on web & James Allen.
He asked prices--he was amazed the local places charged so much, when what I have been viewing is both brighter & larger. I wasn't expecting him to "get" why I am searching for my stone the route I am taking--once he saw the stones locally & asked prices--he "got it" immediately!
Kings was probably had the worst stones glanced at--even in their jewels lighting--they just looked bad.

attached is the freckled champagne OEC--I'm not mind the inclusions in this stone --have no idea who's it is, found the pic in google images. Cool stone huh?
Edited to add:--Oh wait--when it's enlarged, I can see it's not an OEC

freckled-champagnediamond-lots-of- inclusions.jpg.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I just got a stone back from EGL that was an N and I was shocked :o Aside from seeing the most tint under florescent lighting, I really couldn't see more color than my EGL J. I guess I am not that color sensitive, but I definitely would not write a stone off before you see it. I am definitely interested in finding out what you go with!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Catia I must have visited that stone about 30 times in the past week on GOG's site! I was in love with it. Please post loads of pic's when you get it. I am seriously considering a low color AVR and can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Like you, I don't think I could appreciate a yellow diamond, but love the idea of a old lace, vanilla cream look. I also really like the setting you chose and love rubies. Try not to stress out, whether this is the diamond for you or not, enjoy the process.

I'm sure once your ring is shining up at you, you'll love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results