• 1. Reset into yellow gold.

Votes: 44 95.7%
  • 2. Just stop, Gussie. Just stop!

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slickk , I looked at your collet set ring and noticed the empty space you mentioned. I don't see that space in my ring above. I think the double bezel needs to be reduced to a single one. Thoughts? Screenshot_20220826-070750_Samsung Internet.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slickk , I looked at your collet set ring and noticed the empty space you mentioned. I don't see that space in my ring above. I think the double bezel needs to be reduced to a single one. Thoughts? Screenshot_20220826-070750_Samsung Internet.jpg

I agree. Whatever he did for your above collet ring Is spot on what I wanted. I love that!! Not sure I’m seeing the double bezel on the top. I think you should def streamline the gallery so you can comfortably wear your glorious bands! Stacking like a Queen. Oh also, I adore the round shank he made for me on that one!! So so comfy!!

ETA @Gussie I see the slight step on the bezel now, went back and zoomed (these old eyes). Not sure you need that and would be nervous about changing what worked so well on your current collet ring.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the drawings with the changes. Do yall see anything that needs changed?

DK 84014-QUAD (1).jpg

I LOVE the profile! It looks perfect. The only thing I would add is if you want the bottom height of the shank to be 1.71mm. I like 2mm because it feels more sturdy.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the profile! It looks perfect. The only thing I would add is if you want the bottom height of the shank to be 1.71mm. I like 2mm because it feels more sturdy.

Seconded, beef the band now and never worry about it again! Oh, and I missed it, shiny or matte?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ellipse undergallery opening
Will that collect water?

Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. Like it’s an illusion it will cup and hold water.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie Ok. Came back after looking a second time. I love the top view. For me, I would want the gallery more streamlined. I don’t like seeing that negative space under there (personal opinion). I’d prefer the top diameter to be a bit wider than the present bottom bezel/donut. Does that make sense?
Forgive my rudimentary mark ups (funny since my DD is an art director lol).
I don’t understand how the gallery where it sits on your finger will come out since the two angles look different (larger donut but tapered all the way down on profile?)
Please disregard any of this if you don’t agree. I’m nitpicking because you asked, but I think it’s going to gorgeous as is!!

091D06A4-A02E-4EAD-8473-DEEEC294A251.jpeg

7EA0B2E7-CE66-43B9-ABB4-C31110D778BC.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what you want to prioritize

Generally, I think collet styled / inspired rings go better with a straight or only slightly tapered basket (or rather, it harkens more realistically to the style)

If that aesthetic unity and keeping with a slightly more unformly Georgian vibe isn’t important, then taper away!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you want to prioritize

Generally, I think collet styled / inspired rings go better with a straight or only slightly tapered basket (or rather, it harkens more realistically to the style)

If that aesthetic unity and keeping with a slightly more unformly Georgian vibe isn’t important, then taper away!

I would be inclined to keep true to the style if the stone were not a MRB. In this case, I really don't think it matters. It's been a contradiction that I have grown to accept. I love MRBs but I prefer antique style settings. Lol, 1st world problem!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, You have to get what you love! That’s the great thing about jewelry, it‘s personal and we have so many options to enable us to get the perfect piece for ourselves.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it’s personal taste and all - but I’d ask for a cad showing a round gallery opening vs the ellipse. Just to see.

With the same narrowing of the basket concept, of course.
The narrowing being done all 360 around, not just the sides- which is what I think created that ellipse shape?.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the latest drawing. I like the circular opening better than the ellipse so thank you @Rfisher for your help there. I think this is pretty close to what I want. My only concern is that the opening is smaller than the original. I think it's still sufficient for cleaning though. What do yall think?

As far as the shank, I am leaving it at 1.7 mm DK 84014-QUAD-4.JPG since I always get sizing bumps to alleviate a lot of spin. At 2 mm it digs in a bit.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this latest version and I thinking cleaning will not be a problem at all. How far out is DK with the finished product? I am not at all impatient but I am guessing you are - j/k!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
please feel free to tell me at any time to leave this cad alone. :lol:

im not sure why the side view of the basket doesn’t match the profile view. The side view is still straighter ( more space between basket and stones pavilion) and the profile view shows it was nipped in having less space between basket and stones pavilion.

Is it needed to match? No, but I am curious if this was something you asked for, and that would make sense then. Maybe that’s where the elliptical shape opening originated from. The whole basket must be that shape, too, instead of round.

maybe if the basket is made round- then the gallery opening can be made a smidge larger - but you already said you want less gap for stacking…..
so I’m talking in circles! :lol:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
please feel free to tell me at any time to leave this cad alone. :lol:

im not sure why the side view of the basket doesn’t match the profile view. The side view is still straighter ( more space between basket and stones pavilion) and the profile view shows it was nipped in having less space between basket and stones pavilion.

Is it needed to match? No, but I am curious if this was something you asked for, and that would make sense then. Maybe that’s where the elliptical shape opening originated from. The whole basket must be that shape, too, instead of round.

maybe if the basket is made round- then the gallery opening can be made a smidge larger - but you already said you want less gap for stacking…..
so I’m talking in circles! :lol:

I really appreciate your help! I am not good at cads at all. I guess I don't quite see what you are referring to. I *think* the basket is round. I have to go tonight until late but I am going to study your comments later. I think I am definitely asking for a wax model on this one. I haven't ever needed to before but it seems this is an unusual design.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie I think I know what @Rfisher means and have pointed out on the picture below. I think she means (and I tried to point out upthread) is that the profile pic (#1) looks like the donut juts out and would not allow a flush band, yet in the sideways profile pic (#2) it appears the basket sits flush with the band (and would allow a flush wedding band). Did I get that right @Rfisher ? If I’m incorrect I apologize and will bow out now. :)

8A53FBA3-2A3E-4B6E-ABBF-A4B45DD1D96E.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate your help! I am not good at cads at all. I guess I don't quite see what you are referring to. I *think* the basket is round. I have to go tonight until late but I am going to study your comments later. I think I am definitely asking for a wax model on this one. I haven't ever needed to before but it seems this is an unusual design.

‘symmetrical’ would be a better word than “round” for me to have used. But I guess symmetrical doesn't exactly convey the right idea either.
D3F37850-EFEB-4004-9386-3B1C4CE67108.jpeg

For these side and profile views to not have the same look of taper (my lovely shaky red line arrows) and also not the same amount of space between your stone’s pavilion and the basket, it must not be round. It’s oval.

It doesn’t have to be symmetric from side to profile view, if that’s what you want.
It does makes sense as to why the elliptical gallery opening came to appear.
if you didn’t ask for it - it’s a cause and effect from one intentional change causing other unintentionals.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie i think asking for a wax model is a fabulous idea. @Rfisher brings up some interesting points that probably need to be resolved in your mind before the final product is made. Nothing like seeing and feeling it on the finger to be sure!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie - pls forgive me if I've missed updates somewhere, but....

Where are you up to on this? And what were your final decisions? And what are you going to do with the other setting that houses the lab diamond, since these will be so similar? Or did you completely change directions and I missed the whole thing?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie - pls forgive me if I've missed updates somewhere, but....

Where are you up to on this? And what were your final decisions? And what are you going to do with the other setting that houses the lab diamond, since these will be so similar? Or did you completely change directions and I missed the whole thing?

Hey @mrs-b. I hope that the wax model of the setting is shipped with the sparkly doo-dad conversion. I am definitely going forward with a yellow gold bezel but I wanted to see a wax since I am a bit confused about the cad drawing (I'm horrible at interpreting cad). I don’t know yet what I will do with the lab stone. I was thinking of having another one of my solitaire necklaces made into a charm for the muff chain and making the collet set lab stone into a solitaire necklace. It's a 2 carat lab stone (8 mm) so I think it's a bit big for a bracelet. I took an updated picture of my necklace/pendant collection and this is without the sparkly doo-dad conversion. I definitely am getting saturated with neckwear but I sure do love them. Maybe I should sell a few necklaces for plastic surgery on my neck lol!!! 20220917_100054.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @mrs-b. I hope that the wax model of the setting is shipped with the sparkly doo-dad conversion. I am definitely going forward with a yellow gold bezel but I wanted to see a wax since I am a bit confused about the cad drawing (I'm horrible at interpreting cad). I don’t know yet what I will do with the lab stone. I was thinking of having another one of my solitaire necklaces made into a charm for the muff chain and making the collet set lab stone into a solitaire necklace. It's a 2 carat lab stone (8 mm) so I think it's a bit big for a bracelet. I took an updated picture of my necklace/pendant collection and this is without the sparkly doo-dad conversion. I definitely am getting saturated with neckwear but I sure do love them. Maybe I should sell a few necklaces for plastic surgery on my neck lol!!! 20220917_100054.jpg

You are SO far ahead of me in the neckwear department! I got my southern cross necklace this year, as you know (NOT a small undertaking) and I'm doing another locket in silver with forest green enamel, and it's being set with a .95 E VS2 August Vintage OEC. I should probably use such a beautiful stone on something else, but, y'know what? I'm not gonna! :bigsmile: I'm getting a *beautiful* pair of earrings made for Christmas, then next spring I've decided to get a third diamond bangle made to go between the two I have - but using 10pt diamonds, rather than 5 pt diamonds. I'm hoping that, together, they'll be substantial and eye catching. My version of a tennis bracelet, I suppose, total ctw around 18cts. Got a few other things in my mind as well - a holly-shaped pave pin for my coats to use up all my remaining diamond melee, an eternity ring with 20 pt stones, and a fairly unimaginative DBTY necklace. I'm thinking of throwing the towel in on all my colored gems - I don't wear what I already have, so what's the point, y'know? I don't mind if I don't wear a piece very much - but if I *never* wear it - why have it? Anyway, I'm not quite sure how I segued into this roll call of future projects - my apologies!

I love your plan for your reset. I LOVE yellow gold, and I love unfussy. Are you planning a blackened collet setting, or just a plain bezel? Either way - major love! If you did a diamond charm for the muff chain, would you keep the doo-dad on it as well (I Love chains with multi charms on them!) - or would you replace it? Or do you mean a different chain altogether? Your collection is just so fabulous - it's one for a jewelry lover to get lost in! <3

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the wax mold today and I need opinions! I love it and it stacks fine. I think there was a mistake on the cad/cast though as there are 3 vertical bars on one side and only 1 on the other. I really like the look of the profile with 3 bars (first pic). Do yall think it would look funny to have 3 vertical bars at the NSEW points and only a single bar at the diagonal points?

@MamaBee @Slickk @Rfisher @Bonfire @MissGotRocks @yssie @Cerulean

Attachments

• 20220921_172055.jpg
    20220921_172055.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220921_171344.jpg
    20220921_171344.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220921_171337.jpg
    20220921_171337.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it @Gussie I do also like the three bars but wonder about cleaning. Is the bottom open? I clean my rings while they’re on often and I do like to be able to get in there from the side. Other than that, I think it’s going to be amazing and I can’t wait to see it!
Can we get a face down look?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it @Gussie I do also like the three bars but wonder about cleaning. Is the bottom open? I clean my rings while they’re on often and I do like to be able to get in there from the side. Other than that, I think it’s going to be amazing and I can’t wait to see it!
Can we get a face down look?

I agree about cleaning it. The donut hole in the bottom is pretty large. That is also why I would only do the three bars at the NSEW prongs and leave the diagonal prongs at a single bar. I think that gives me enough room to clean it. Plus with no accent stones, I can ultrasonic all day long!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited to see this ring on your finger @Gussie. It’s going to be beautiful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks pretty darn good to me! Can’t wait for this to be finished so we can all ogle it! I think the placement of the bars will be just fine.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Welp, nobody asked me :lol: but I can't find anything that I would change. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results