• 1. Reset into yellow gold.

Votes: 44 95.7%
  • 2. Just stop, Gussie. Just stop!

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way yellow gold looks...it just seems so warm and rich. My white gold looks somewhat sterile with my skin tone.
(I do wear both though).

I say Go Yellow but as @AllAboardTheBlingTrain said I would go with something a little more different looking than your
collet ring...a little more open but with 8 to 10 prongs (but that's me).

Your EW Margo setting is gorgeous! I would keep it in case you ever want to go back!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for the yellow gold! Everything in your posts suggests that is where your heart is, and you have tested the waters with nothing quite scratching that itch.

The diamond erings that have stood out to me on other people (IRL) that I just loved and couldn't take my eyes off of... were all set in YG. On top of that, I have received several compliments from strangers and friends on my avatar ring (again, talking IRL here)... a .76 POH set in rose gold (platinum head). I have received precisely ONE compliment on my 1.36 OEC set in platinum. And it's a beauty of a diamond. In a James Meyer setting, so no slouch there either.

What that all tells me.... there is something to be said for the luxeness of YG or RG, and something to be said for the contrast with the diamond that really makes it sing.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So who will you use to make the new setting, DK? Can’t wait to see it!

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for the yellow gold and +1 to keeping the EW setting for now just in case. I just think diamonds look more luxe wrapped in high karat yellow gold. The contrast with the whiteness of the ACA will just pop that diamond even more

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would make sure that the back is somewhat open for cleaning - just wouldn’t want a closed in bezel and I love the backside of @MamaBee’s ring!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
My mom gave me her sweet OEC, antique earrings set in y/g "buttercup" style. I wasn't wearing them, and decided to give them to my niece, but she prefers white gold. So I had the earrings plated to w/g...and was shocked at how different they looked. Gone were the bright white diamonds. Although still fiery, they basically disappeared into the w/g settings!

That's a long way of saying, yellow gold and diamonds is good!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the lone dissenting voice :lol: At the end of the day, it’s your decision and if you prefer y/g, you prefer y/g. Do what makes you happy.

For me, I started out with all y/g jewellery, but I prefer white metal, especially platinum as I like the grey metallic look. I just don’t wear any of my y/g jewellery anymore.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
This is so funny. I've just popped back onto PS because I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

I have an OEC in a VC Emilya that I had lost (or thought I had lost :)). Got a new OEC and had it set in a slightly more modern halo, both rings platinum. Then, we were moving found the first ring. So I now have two platinum halos and, while I love the Emilya, mostly end up wearing the slightly more modern, lower set one, and keep being drawn to the thought of a very simple, yellow gold bezel...

I'll be very interested in seeing what you decide!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After obsessively looking at hundreds of rings, I think the elements I really want are:

1. 18k gold
2. Low set as possible but still able to tuck a wr underneath
3. Large open donut
4. Simple gallery (design?)
5. Bezel (milgrain?)
6. Cathedral

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so funny. I've just popped back onto PS because I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

I have an OEC in a VC Emilya that I had lost (or thought I had lost :)). Got a new OEC and had it set in a slightly more modern halo, both rings platinum. Then, we were moving found the first ring. So I now have two platinum halos and, while I love the Emilya, mostly end up wearing the slightly more modern, lower set one, and keep being drawn to the thought of a very simple, yellow gold bezel...

I'll be very interested in seeing what you decide!

I'm not sure if it was covid, getting older, or what but I am drawn to simpler now. I don't want any pave, side stones, or prongs. Fuss free is the goal.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the lone dissenting voice :lol: At the end of the day, it’s your decision and if you prefer y/g, you prefer y/g. Do what makes you happy.

For me, I started out with all y/g jewellery, but I prefer white metal, especially platinum as I like the grey metallic look. I just don’t wear any of my y/g jewellery anymore.

I think it may be our generation @Austina . I grew up with YG so for me, now, platinum just feels so luxurious. I am thankful I saved all of my mom’s, grandmother’s and my old YG because I do pull it out, but I still love my wedding set in platinum. I wear platinum often with the Cartier trinity so I get the warmer golds that way.
But everyone varies…

I just wonder @Gussie if you’ll then not wear the collet ring (I hate things unworn myself). Or maybe you’ll make it a rhr? Whatever you do…follow your gut and heart!! That’s what’s great about jewelry, it’s easily changed. :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After obsessively looking at hundreds of rings, I think the elements I really want are:

1. 18k gold
2. Low set as possible but still able to tuck a wr underneath
3. Large open donut
4. Simple gallery (design?)
5. Bezel (milgrain?)
6. Cathedral

Oo!! I have had this up on my browser (along with some other IG posts of it) since it first posted. I LOVE this setting, and it's one I am considering for my own reset (which, coincidentally, has had me agonizing over platinum vs. rose gold for a few years now)... it hits a lot of your marks, minus the small side stones. Whomever OWD used to make it *nailed* the bezel, imo. Posting bc it gives you a visual for a lot of your wants, and in case it's a viable option for you....

(Swipe to see a video where the ring is twirled around, and you can see all of the elements.)

Another IG post with two - one a larger diamond, and one a smaller. He is selling one complete ring on his website, with a 2.11ct diamond. I think that is the smaller of the two, but I am not positive. Anyway, trying to offer up size reference so you can get an idea of what your diamond would look like in a setting like this.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if it was covid, getting older, or what but I am drawn to simpler now. I don't want any pave, side stones, or prongs. Fuss free is the goal.

I agree! I also have way too much. I hate to sell things so it’s been a little frustrating. There’s a hospital consignment shop near me that sells jewelry too. I’m going to round up all the unworn bands to sell there. They will be really underpriced but a part of the proceeds go to hospital for programs. I feel better about that. Some things I may sell in Preloved here.
All my recent resets have been very simple..I never get tired of those because they’re simple.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oo!! I have had this up on my browser (along with some other IG posts of it) since it first posted. I LOVE this setting, and it's one I am considering for my own reset (which, coincidentally, has had me agonizing over platinum vs. rose gold for a few years now)... it hits a lot of your marks, minus the small side stones. Whomever OWD used to make it *nailed* the bezel, imo. Posting bc it gives you a visual for a lot of your wants, and in case it's a viable option for you....

(Swipe to see a video where the ring is twirled around, and you can see all of the elements.)

Another IG post with two - one a larger diamond, and one a smaller. He is selling one complete ring on his website, with a 2.11ct diamond. I think that is the smaller of the two, but I am not positive. Anyway, trying to offer up size reference so you can get an idea of what your diamond would look like in a setting like this.

That first one looks very much like my gallery for Bee! Mine is from an antique..I changed a few things on it..
52928D8B-62AF-490B-85C9-64A2DE5A8D43.jpeg 52928D8B-62AF-490B-85C9-64A2DE5A8D43.jpeg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the gallery of Bee and the inspiration so much more... the gallery on the OWD setting is the one thing I don't care for.

If I do end up resetting to this design, would you be okay with me using the gallery from your inspiration ring (and hence, Bee)? I really like how that gallery is done - you have great taste to have used it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the gallery of Bee and the inspiration so much more... the gallery on the OWD setting is the one thing I don't care for.

If I do end up resetting to this design, would you be okay with me using the gallery from your inspiration ring (and hence, Bee)? I really like how that gallery is done - you have great taste to have used it!

Of course!! I would love to see it when you’re done if you go that way.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course!! I would love to see it when you’re done if you go that way.

Thank you!! Maybe this will be the kick and the pants I need... I have been waffling over this for a couple of years now, at least.

I am excited to see how your journey on this unfolds!

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Dolly had a few warm OEC's set in her Dolly cup bezels and they were lovely a little while back.
Satin finish instead of polished for a different look altogether.

Here:

This one, the last video (swipe alllllll the way to the right) in this one shows the profile view but only just barely.

And finally another video here (hi, Audrey! @RetroQT)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Gussie What about making the colette ring into a pendant or a solitaire bracelet? They would just need to snip it off on the sides..I had Bee taken out of a solitaire bangle..her second reset..ugh..David used a lab diamond to replace it with a new bezel on the bangle. Yours is already in the Colette head. Maybe he can just use the head and make it into something other than a ring. This way it wouldn’t compete with your ACA bezel reset.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie What about making the colette ring into a pendant or a solitaire bracelet? They would just need to snip it off on the sides..I had Bee taken out of a solitaire bangle..her second reset..ugh..David used a lab diamond to replace it with a new bezel on the bangle. Yours is already in the Colette head. Maybe he can just use the head and make it into something other than a ring. This way it wouldn’t compete with your ACA bezel reset.

Great minds think alike! I thought about this as well. It's probably the best idea. I know when my aca is reset I probably won't wear the lab diamond. It could very easily be made into a pendant. I already have 3 solitaire pendants but each set differently. The lab stone would be gorgeous as a pendant. Definitely thinking about this.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great minds think alike! I thought about this as well. It's probably the best idea. I know when my aca is reset I probably won't wear the lab diamond. It could very easily be made into a pendant. I already have 3 solitaire pendants but each set differently. The lab stone would be gorgeous as a pendant. Definitely thinking about this.

I also have quite a few pendants..but they do get worn. I think a Colette pendant would be gorgeous!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’re right @Slickk, back in the dark ages, it was really rare to see white metals :lol: Yellow gold was all the thing when we got married, only one of my friends had an ER in w/g.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, I just went through my jewelry box and another pendant doesn't make a lot of sense. I could try to sell a couple of these but that is always a big pain. Left to right: my original wedding diamond in CvB Astrid, preloved OEC, antique, collet set wonky diamond JbG, collet set OMC on heavy curb chain by Sako. I might need to get another hobby. 20220822_170047.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’re right @Slickk, back in the dark ages, it was really rare to see white metals :lol: Yellow gold was all the thing when we got married, only one of my friends had an ER in w/g.

Yes, I agree with you. Back in the day everyone had yellow gold. When white metals came into vogue, many of the old yellow gold pieces looked dated. It is nice to see it make a comeback with more modern, updated designs. Platinum is not my favorite because of the patina but I do like white gold. The yellow gold pieces all draw my eye though somehow.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
@MamaBee, I just went through my jewelry box and another pendant doesn't make a lot of sense. I could try to sell a couple of these but that is always a big pain. Left to right: my original wedding diamond in CvB Astrid, preloved OEC, antique, collet set wonky diamond JbG, collet set OMC on heavy curb chain by Sako. I might need to get another hobby. 20220822_170047.jpg

So many collet set pendants already! (That OMC is lovely)
What about turning the LGD collet into a bracelet or bangle? Hrmmmmmm

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree..You have some beautiful pendants..Would you consider a bracelet? If you don’t like bangles..you can do a nice gold chain solitaire..keeping the colette head..
Do you have a heavy chain bracelet you can use?
Edited to say I had the same idea as @emmy12!..haha

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should go ahead with your reset. You have your list of details you’d like. The collet ring you can think about later :devil:;)) I’m sounding very cavalier aren’t I? I think you’ve already decided what you want and I say, “let’s get this party started!”

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results