shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to turn a faint brown diamond pinkish w/ setting?

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all I have a faint brown diamond looking for best ideas to help turn it pinkish in setting! When I put it on a pink table cloth it seems to pick up that color to me. It is an L but I barely see color if I'm outside with it... It just appears warm but not colored if that makes sense. I know I need to have rose gold involved to do this but I dont know if I should have the whole ring done in rose gold or just the halo and have white gold in it, too. (I do want to halo and kind of want to double halo, but only if double halo will help bring out more pink color in diamond)... Should I do white diamond halo surround (in white or rose gold?) for contrast (I know I'd need rose gold prongs or bezel if I went that route or pink diamond surround to try and trick the eye? Should I bezel rose gold around the stone or would that make it sparkle less b/c no light would get through... Stones on shank or not? Rose gold vs white gold shank? Man, thinking of setting ideas is harder than finding a stone, I'm so lost! Thanks all in advance...

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Best way to turn a faint brown diamond pinkish w/ settin

I'm thinking bezeled in rose gold, with a rose gold cup and a stark white halo (shank could be rose or white, whatever you prefer). That's what I'd do.

:)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that setting a ring on a pink tablecloth is going to have the same effect as mounting a stone in a particular color of metal. Sure, certain colors of gold can have a slight effect on color, but I don't know if it's realistic to think that a light brown diamond will look pink in a rose gold setting (and again, maybe I'm wrong). Having said that, I love rose gold and brown diamonds looks gorgeous set in it. Personally, I would set the stone in rose gold.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Pink diamonds will probably compete with the center stone. It won't make it look more pink. Have you tried putting the diamond on a shiny penny to see if it picks up any pink?

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it, here are some pics of it on a penny (great idea thank you!!), I'm hoping it is doing a good job pulling a lot of pink like I hoped it would! Shown next to a (very dirty and needs to be cleaned and re-rhodium plated) GIA G princess cut w/ H/I halo. Diamond on penny is of course the GIA L faint brown, looks like a completely different diamond to me when it is shown on the purse! It does look so different next to different things, but I'm so glad I did the penny because that should be the most telling I assume...

I know tablecloth wasn't ideal, but it showed me it was capable of picking up something, but wow the penny idea really worked best it seems! And at least that is showing what it's like with metal, and I think this is the closest without setting it, right?

Great ideas, would a rose gold cup make it sparkle less at all? Would like rose gold petals be better? Or would petals make the color saturation less than cup would. (also if it's in cup is cleaning it a problem?) I think I like the coloring it seems to take on from the penny... I don't think white gold is flattering around the stone itself, but I think I definitely want white gold in there in some way to provide a contrast for sure now...

Really making me want to do double halo now one in rose gold with white diamonds (good point about the pink diamonds not standing out) and one white gold... wondering whether to do partial eternity on sides... Any other tips are always welcome! :)

pennypic1img_20140415_090736.jpg

pennypic2img_20140415_085835.jpg

pennypic3img_20140415_090655.jpg

coralpurseimg_20140415_091414.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please don't be offended but I think it looks browner when it is sitting on the copper penny. The handbag is a bright pink and it does make the diamond look pinker but there is no metal with that shade of pink.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

It looks a peachy pink to me, not like real pink but that I can see pink in it- maybe though b/c I want to lol.. Just looking to bring as much pink out as I can, but I don't want it to look brown though. But no no not offended, what you see is what you see, honesty is always the most appreciated! Our monitors are probably all different too... Which doesn't help any of us especially me lol... I was looking to do 14k rose gold b/c I read that that is more pinkier and less coppery. (I have seen 18k rose gold that looks like yellow gold to me also, so I definitely want to stay away from any yellow) It is taken on a cloudy inside day with no lights on. I think a penny was really good to do because it is real coppery, and I think it would be a bit more coppery/ darker than 14 k rose gold? Hmmm if the concensus ends up that it really looks brown then maybe I should rethink and just do as a solitaire so nothing is around it? Because don't want to spend a bunch to make it look brown...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

It's not a pink diamond, so I don't think there's much you can do about that. I'm not even sure why it would matter? It's a lovely brownish colored diamond and no matter which metal you choose to mount it in, it's still going to be a lovely brownish colored diamond. Are you hoping that others will think that it's pink? To me, the stone looks brown, but it has a hint of peach to it. Again, it would look gorgeous mounted in rose gold, which is what I would do with it.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

I love that setting, and I lovvve the old cuts wishing I had one, maybe someday haha... I especially like the pics of it on the window sill where it looks much lighter that would be perfect perfect coloring, but the rose gold seems a little too coppery to me in the first pic though, for my taste/ what i'm looking for so I don't know which is the more accurate pic of the gold coloring! I was hoping to find 14k color like this, definitely looking for a pink gold rose gold... Have to go custom b/c it's an odd size stone... Rose gold will not be as dark/ exact as penny do you think? That was a really good test to do!!

7839lp_front_1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1397589153|3653916 said:
It's not a pink diamond, so I don't think there's much you can do about that.

There is one solution. ;-)

screen_shot_2014-04-15_at_12.png

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I just purchased a plain rose gold band and was told by the jeweler that 18K rose gold offers the most "pink" tones in the gold. That may vary from jeweler to jeweler, but if you're going the custom route, you could definitely ask to see rose gold color samples to ensure the best color for you.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1397589835|3653925 said:
momhappy|1397589153|3653916 said:
It's not a pink diamond, so I don't think there's much you can do about that.

There is one solution. ;-)

:lol: :appl:

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Oh I know I wouldn't be fooling anyone, nor would I be trying to... Just trying to make the best out of a faint brown's features to bring out that undertone, that's why I didn't want a low on the color scale that wasn't faint brown, because I have seen some faint brown stones pull pink when set and look beautifully pink tinted a bit (not exactly like a pink diamond, but that show pink) and that's what I was looking to do. There's undertones in every color (other than primaries) that can be enhanced by surroundings, so that's what I was looking to do. I read a decorator's blog (Maria Killam) once about how you can never mix pink beige and yellow beige because it will always looks dirty (and I can never walk into a room now without picking up on which undertone the beige is since I read it, and it has proven that beige is not a neutral color because of understones) I have never seen a brown stone when I look at it, it just seems warm toned to me, that it would go on the warm side of the color chart and it does not have yellow undertone in any way that's for sure so yellow gold is out- which looks bad on me anyway :) It's just what I had in mind for it when I got it, because I know it can be done as I have seen it done beautifully. I need those glasses for more than just this project haha!

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/soldthree-stone-diamond-ring-200-light-brown-radiant-diamond-vvs2-gia-emerald-sides

Here is an example of an L faint brown.. I love the look of this, this is the look I am going for, but I am pretty sure I want it to be a halo ring.... I emailed him a while ago but he never got back to me :( But that diamond is the same color as mine, and cut is similar too.

I had thought the penny pics of mine made it look similar in coloring to the stone in that ring? But maybe it's those glasses :) I just don't see a brown diamond when I look at that ring... I know it's not a fancy light pink, but I definitely don't see it as brown either. Honest opinions (as you all have been thank you) do you think mine looks similar in color to that L faint brown in the DBL ring? I guess it's tomato/ tomatoe thing whether we see it as/ describe it as brown or not, but does the coloring on the penny look similar to that ring? Because that is the look I am going for whatever we call it/ describe it as. Thanks!

_16986.jpg

r2620handa.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you like the colour of the diamond in DBL's picture, then rose gold is the way to go. To my eyes, however, that looks brown. With the contrast of white side diamonds, it looks like a fancy coloured diamond. :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

The DBL ring looks brown to me too. I think that no matter how you slice it, you still have a fancy-colored diamond and since you've already mentioned that you're not trying to fool anyone, then as long as you see a pinkish tint in your stone, then that's all that matters.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HI jillianfl
That looks like a lovely stone you've got there!

Here's my take on this, after having set quite a few stones in this range.
Its a crapshoot.
Unfortunatley, attempting to predict exactly how the stone will broadcast color once it's set depends on so many variables that results are inconsistent.
The ring you posted photos of- I can totally understand folks saying the center stone looks brown based on the photos- however in person, it really did look quite pink.
I've been chasing that type of stone, and result, for years.
Sometimes the diamond does what you want ( rarely) an other times...not so much.
I would suggest trying to find someone to set the stone that can show you examples of rose ( pink) gold that has a color you like.
It's a tough metal to work in, and different alloy concoctions produce varying results.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I see pink undertones on the penny - for sure...............

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

Jillianfl, you could have it hit with heat and it could turn pink. I had a 6.67 brownish diamond I was going to buy. Seller decided to take it and have it heated and it turned the most fabulous pink. He tripled his money on the stone. Just a thought

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Gem Queen said:
Jillianfl, you could have it hit with heat and it could turn pink. I had a 6.67 brownish diamond I was going to buy. Seller decided to take it and have it heated and it turned the most fabulous pink. He tripled his money on the stone. Just a thought

Some info on HPHT:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-cert-on-a-heat-treated-diamond.28708/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-cert-on-a-heat-treated-diamond.28708/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hpht-diamond.155349/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hpht-diamond.155349/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ericad|1397508874|3653398 said:
I'm thinking bezeled in rose gold, with a rose gold cup and a stark white halo (shank could be rose or white, whatever you prefer). That's what I'd do.

:)

I agree. Erica has sold a lot of diamond jewelry pieces in rose gold, so I think she gives very informed advice.

I will say that I have often read here that 18k rose gold is much closer to yellow gold and if you want it pink, go with 14k.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Gem Queen|1397602939|3654050 said:

Is this true? I thought that heat-treated stones were considered to be less valuable. I would purchase a natural brown diamond all day long over a heat-treated pink and I certainly wouldn't pay more money for the heat-treated stone!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Yes, the band that I just got in 14k rose gold is a lovely shade of pink. It's the spacer ring in between my E-ring and my wedding band (which is also 14K rose gold)

10259969_10203204777895956_750586997472434522_0.jpg

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

I do love the color of the stone in his ring that's the similar look I'm going for, and so I guess we all see the same thing visually but describe it as having a different color designation then? (Which happens with everything in life for sure).

Rockdiamond, great to hear from you on this, I'm a huge fan of your work and your knowledge, I'm glad you like it, I'm hoping it turns the beautiful color that yours did in the picture in that ring, some say that it looks brown I guess, but to me it in no way looks brown (not just brown at least, brown tone mixed with pink tone sure)

But it does really appear as a pale pink shade to me, like a nude color or a kind of faint dusty rose or a ballet slipper color once it's in that ring. A warm stone (which did look pretty brown in one of the photos before setting it!) which to me, once set it definitely has a pink brought out/ emphasized by the setting. I know mine's not going to be like a regular fancy pink diamond of course, but looking to do the same idea on playing with undertones.

To me David's 3 stone center looks so close to a light brownish pink, once in that setting, (which a real brownish pink diamond is of course way more would be way more $$ than a faint brown that could made to appear that shade :) and even could be similar to a pink champagne diamond. If someone told me that center stone in the 3 stone ring was a pink champagne or a brownish pink center, I'd believe it...

The color of your-- (well actually a happy customer's now, haha) GIA light brownish pink radiant ring I posted below looks similar to me as the color of your L faint brown center once that stone was set in the ring, definitely different of course, but still similar! I think it's cool to compare for this forum these two great rings side by side to compare and see just how similar their color looks (to me at least!)... I just don't see your L in the setting as being a brown diamond, especially when you compare it next to the brownish pink diamond (which looks just pink to me in the setting, not even "brownish" pink anymore). It's like they morph designations on me, the L looks like it turns into a faint brownish pink and the brownish pink turns into a pink :)

So yes, I wanted to buy a diamond with a faint brown designation to turn into something similar to those shades when set, I guess some will still call them brown, but glad others do see pink or at least peach in it-- something other than just brown. I see brown diamonds and they just look very different to me. If I ever can get it finished it will hopefully be a good conversation piece then, but hoping it's one that surprises people to learn that it's not a pink (like David's just don't look brown to me, and I can be told they are brown all day, but they just don't look just simply brown to me- and if I had to just pick one color to describe it, I would say a faint pink) It doesn't look like straight red+ white pink either, but all colors have a realm of shades, there's probably over 100 of each you can find walking into a paint store, I'm betting I'd find a color card to match David's L center (once it was set) in the pink section :)

Motownmama, glad you see pink in the penny test! Also that is interesting about the heating of one, I remember reading in a past PS forum (I've read so many since I joined that they all seem to blend together!) But I had read that many of the faint browns are used to be irradiated blue, and that's why there aren't as many faint browns today? Is irradiating the same as heating? I don't know enough (ok anything haha) about heating, and is there a chance it could get ruined that way or would it always turn a great shade of pink? I wasn't looking to have it enhanced but that's interesting how much more valuable it became once they did that to it... Could I screw it up if I did that haha?

Getting a lot of great feedback and different opinions here, I appreciate it! I am hoping that my "crapshoot" becomes as successful as rockdiamond's! :) Trying to get myself at least some version of a "pink" diamond since I doubt I'll ever be able to afford the real thing. :love:

r3262a.jpg

_16990.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1397609291|3654107 said:

Is this true? I thought that heat-treated stones were considered to be less valuable. I would purchase a natural brown diamond all day long over a heat-treated pink and I certainly wouldn't pay more money for the heat-treated stone!

I can see how it would be possible. If it was not an attractive color originally, it might have been selling at a low price. Pink diamonds that size are rare and mega expensive, so I can see how it might sell for more than it would originally but still be a small fraction of what a natural pink diamond would sell for.

I just don't think there are guarantees about the color outcome, so I wouldn't risk it.

Just saw your latest post. No, irradiation and HPHT are two different things. I wouldn't consider that. You are in the right track with the setting. I definitely think it looks great on the penny.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh really?.. :o ...can you please find out the recipe?.. :read: how long in the oven and at what temperature?.. :lol:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hello, I've just stumbled upon your posts and wondered if you'd set your diamond yet? I'd love to see like pics!

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Not yet!! I will for sure add pics to this thread once I do as well!! :) I finally have picked out a double halo setting although unsure if I want to do solid gold on the band or diamonds halfway around the band... Once I order it will take up to 6 weeks to complete, so I am hoping it will be done by August/ Sept.! Thanks for asking will definitely post pics, I am so anxious to see how it comes out too haha... Here's hoping it works! :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Sounds so much fun! I think the hardest thing is trying to really envisage how it will look once its all done, Im terrible at this. Im about to reset my princess in a halo and cant quite get my head around exactly what Im trying to achieve.

Will look forward to your pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results