shape
carat
color
clarity

You'll never guess what I found riding my bike to work today......

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sorry, but I disagree with this. From what little I know, Lovebirds can cost a fair amount of money. Posting the variety of bird found, with no chip, no band etc to identify it could make it difficult to determine if someone was the actual owner. I would post "found bird" and if someone is looking, they can say what kind of bird and probably send a photo of the bird they are looking for.

100000% yes.
That's exactly how I've posted- "Pet Bird found."

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad you are taking care of the sweet bird. May I suggest you check Pawboost or Pet FBI? Someone lost a lovebird in NY last June and posted. I'm pretty sure it would be hard for a lovebird to survive a whole year unless you are the second person who rescued it, but I included the link just to bring you to the site.

Here's the link to Pet FBI

Looks like the same bird to me but hard to tell

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done and thank you!!

wow...Amazing find!!!! I spoke to the nice lady and we eliminated B-Dog based on his behavior, as well as time and distance.....
So good of you to check even though the possibility was very remote. :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Google image....the specific variation of the breed is "Blue Morph Lovebird"..it's a fairly rare color variation...but there's still a lot of ostensibly identical specimens. google.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to throw in the possibility that someone may have deliberately let this bird go. Let’s face it, people abandon pets all time for various reasons, maybe his owners just couldn’t take care of him and let him go.

In any case, glad he is rescued and safe, even if he is a lost bird, he is better off with you, he probably would not make it otherwise.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yada brings up a good point. I seriously doubt someone would have purposely freed B-dog. But it is an issue. Many parrots live long lives- especially the larger ones like Macaws and Amazon parrots. And they are so attractive and intelligent that they seem to make amazing pets.
Unfortunately, many people learn they can't deal with the noise and mess after buying one.....so, many parrots are orphaned.
Turning the thread back to a positive direction.....this is me, so many years ago after I'd quit Winston, and before I resumed my Diamond career.
I was living on my own for the first time and wanted a pet.
There used to be a pet store...actually, it was called "Belmont Birds" in Rockefeller Center Concourse.
I was fascinated by all the pretty birdies, all in cages.
After I got home frim work that day, I went into a store called "Parrot Jungle" on Northern Blvd in Queens and my love affair with birds began. The majority of the birds were on open perches! I never knew you could hug a bird....
Fast forward a few months from that day and I was hired as the manager of the Parrot Jungle store that existed on Lexington Avenue and 57th St.
Seeing me skate up and down the block with a huge blue and Toesa.jpg gold macaw on my shoulder really brought the people in.....

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond I remember Parrot Jungle! The birds were all on perches only. One flew right into my mom’s head once (kinda like the Elaine/Seinfeld episode) haha! Love the old pic!
I really think finding the owner in Harlem or upper Manhattan is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, but thank you for trying.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Slickk …. Was it the one on Northern Blvd? Maybe we met back then!!!
The shop in the city was so cool.
One time a producer came in Stevie Wonder was releasing an album called “ The Secret Life of Plants”- there was a release party at the Bronx Botanical Gardens.
He hired me to bring a bunch of tame macaws and Amazon parrots and simply mingle. Stevie was there of course, surrounded by a huge entourage. Fun night

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Ha - my (now) husband took me across the bridge to the Custom Parrot Network in NJ in 1985! Did you ever know that store?

I'm deathly afraid of birds, but hey, I was in love. An employee walked up behind me and without warning put an Amazon parrot on my shoulder. That was the first time my husband saw me turn white. So lucky I didn't faint!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yada brings up a good point. I seriously doubt someone would have purposely freed B-dog. But it is an issue. Many parrots live long lives- especially the larger ones like Macaws and Amazon parrots. And they are so attractive and intelligent that they seem to make amazing pets.
Unfortunately, many people learn they can't deal with the noise and mess after buying one.....so, many parrots are orphaned.
Turning the thread back to a positive direction.....this is me, so many years ago after I'd quit Winston, and before I resumed my Diamond career.
I was living on my own for the first time and wanted a pet.
There used to be a pet store...actually, it was called "Belmont Birds" in Rockefeller Center Concourse.
I was fascinated by all the pretty birdies, all in cages.
After I got home frim work that day, I went into a store called "Parrot Jungle" on Northern Blvd in Queens and my love affair with birds began. The majority of the birds were on open perches! I never knew you could hug a bird....
Fast forward a few months from that day and I was hired as the manager of the Parrot Jungle store that existed on Lexington Avenue and 57th St.
Seeing me skate up and down the block with a huge blue and Toesa.jpg gold macaw on my shoulder really brought the people in.....

Love the pic. Jim Croce flashback!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ha - my (now) husband took me across the bridge to the Custom Parrot Network in NJ in 1985! Did you ever know that store?

Absolutely. I can't drive down Rt4 without thinking of it, to this day.
Look, I'm so sorry for putting that bird on your shoulder....hahahah
OMG., this is wild....taking me down memory lane.
It couldn't have been me who put the bird on your shoulder in 1985, but it could easily have been my boss- the owner of Parrot Jungle...Steve Kates.
This guy was a real ....well, I'll use his own words from a pretty bare, yet definitely his Facebook page.
What a character- and I could definitely see him putting a bird on a girl's shoulder.
In 1980, a blue and gold macaw would sell for about $3000. Equivalent to about $10k today I think...there was a lot of money in it. All the shenanigans were the main reason I left
kates.JPG

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't help but think how lucky that little bird is that you were the one who picked him up. You know so much regarding how to care for him and you already adore him. I hope you can share more pics of him as he settles in. :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond, bless your heart for rescuing him and understanding his needs. He's in very good hands,
In the unlikely event that his owner shows up and claims him, can I sit on your shoulder and watch you work? Minimal poop.
Rofl!!!!!!!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond, bless your heart for rescuing him and understanding his needs. He's in very good hands,
In the unlikely event that his owner shows up and claims him, can I sit on your shoulder and watch you work? Minimal poop.
I do have 2 shoulders…….hahaha

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a little young to remember where exactly the Parrot Jungle we went to. But very cool that we could’ve been in the same place at one time.
I’m happy that you’ve given this lil blue lovebird a home. Happy for you and him!!
Saw this tweet this am and thought of this thread… so sweet!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm eager to learn. I had Siamese cats who were woolsuckers.
I am sorry the above tweet is gone now? I can’t find it again. Perhaps it was removed. Sorry all. It was an adorably cuddly bird :love:

Wasn't the a sun conor?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was a sun canure......incredibly cute. First, it almost bit the person's finger...then it cuddled into is hand

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would love a bird - i can cope with the mess but our cats would love to 'play' too much
that little fella is very lucky indeed i reacon

my friend's sister had a pet magpie (the Aussie one)
it would swoop down from the sky and land on her shoulder
he was a rescue that a farmer had brought her, fallen out of the nest as a baby

i took him for a walk and pulled up small rocks for him to find bugs under
Macca had his own room where he slept for the night but every single piece of furniture in their house had a towel on it

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey bird lovers !!!!
Status- we’ve been checking internet sites and local searches.
Still nothing on that front.
B-Dog is settling in. My two kids are now home from camp and both adore the little guy.
As you can see he’s a bath lover- he just jumped in his water dish
He’s very independent at times. If we open the cage, he’ll come out and fly to one of his spots ( on an air conditioner or lamp)
Or fly to one of our shoulders or heads. Clearly he loves people. Still very paranoid about fingers, and that’s ok.
He’s a skilled flyer….. which is surprising considering I found him on the ground.
Anyway pic time!!
IMG_3155.jpeg IMG_3191.jpeg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
He's adorable.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results