shape
carat
color
clarity

You'll never guess what I found riding my bike to work today......

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I ride from North of Manhattan.....I was riding down St Nicholaus Avenue, by 143rd street- the middle of Harlem, and I saw a mom and little girl looking down at something- I immediately recognized it as a Lovebird. I used to manage a store called "Parrot Jungle" so many years ago...I have a lot of experience with birds.
Now, if an adult lovebird is not tame, it will rip your finger off. They are vicious little creatures if not raised by hand. I remember a time this lovebird flew into the macaw cage and attacked- ended up losing a foot to a scarlet macaw...story for another day...anyway....
This guy just let me pick him up!
His wings are clipped so he couldn't fly- but he let me pick him up, pet and kiss him!!
So now I'm going to see how good the little guy is at assorting diamonds:)
Seriously- I brought him to the office- I'm sure the owners are heartbroken- but in a city this size, how could I find them????
Any suggestions for names?

IMG_3077.jpeg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I ride from North of Manhattan.....I was riding down St Nicholaus Avenue, by 143rd street- the middle of Harlem, and I saw a mom and little girl looking down at something- I immediately recognized it as a Lovebird. I used to manage a store called "Parrot Jungle" so many years ago...I have a lot of experience with birds.
Now, if an adult lovebird is not tame, it will rip your finger off. They are vicious little creatures if not raised by hand. I remember a time this lovebird flew into the macaw cage and attacked- ended up losing a foot to a scarlet macaw...story for another day...anyway....
This guy just let me pick him up!
His wings are clipped so he couldn't fly- but he let me pick him up, pet and kiss him!!
So now I'm going to see how good the little guy is at assorting diamonds:)
Seriously- I brought him to the office- I'm sure the owners are heartbroken- but in a city this size, how could I find them????
Any suggestions for names?

IMG_3077.jpeg

Poor little sweetheart! Thank you for taking care of it, David. A few suggestions for trying to find its owners -

There's a site just for lost & found pet birds - https://www.911parrotalert.com/

Animal Alliance has some helpful info - https://www.animalalliancenyc.org/needhelp/lostfound.htm

There's a Manhattan Lost & Found Pets FB page - https://www.facebook.com/ManhattanNYCLostandFoundPets/

Animal Care and Control has a found pets database - https://www.nycacc.org/services/lost-found

People bring found pets to my husband's firehouse every now and then, so they will try to locate the owner if they can, before calling ACC for a pickup.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
He is so cute! I’ve never had birds in my menagerie but find them really rather fascinating. I hope he bonds well with you and settles.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty!
Looks like a parrotlet.

Blue-Pacific-Parrotlet-3072355843.jpeg

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I second Lucky!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a beauty!
Looks like a parrotlet.

Blue-Pacific-Parrotlet-3072355843.jpeg

First cousin!! Lovebirds and Parrolets are closely related....but I'm 99% sure this guy is a lovebird. They are among the smallest of the psittacine family

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Wherever you list the missing pet ad, I'd just say "missing bird" and let them tell you what their missing bird looks like. I picture someone trying to score a free pet and not knowing how to take care of it like you do.

I would name him Bluebelle (probably influenced because I am wearing Bluebelle perfume today) or a gem name like Zircon. Harlem is a nice name too imo. Or you could let your kid name it. Not sure how old yours is/are but mine always enjoyed getting to pick the name for a new pet. If you keep it. Or maybe Skylar. Omg I can't stop. :)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
How fortunate is this little bird that an expert bird person rescued it!

On a slight tangent...last week on a hot day, my husband called to me to come outside. On the roof a house three down from us, we could see a cockatiel on the very peak. He (it) was calling and chirping for quite some time. I was pretty worried about him as there are hawks, eagles, coyotes, cats, etc., here.

I'm on a neighbourhood Facebook page, so I posted the general area, and when I checked back later, the owners from a different part of town came and picked it up! He must have flown up into the hills (we're above the area where his home is) and for whatever reason, didn't go back. So glad he was found!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
What a beauty! Thankful you were able to find and care for it. All great suggestions for names and searching offered so far. I had a quaker parrot growing up so definitely have a soft spots for birds. Hope you're able to find a the old owner or enjoy being the new owner!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The little guy is starting to eat....very good sign!!
Sandra asked me " Is it a boy or a girl"?
"Yes", I answered....
Ascertaining the sex of a parrot is tricky.
I've been out of the game for a while, but back then we used to just guess.
I'm pretty sure if it lays eggs, it's a female...eheheh

Anyway, there's no real way for me to tell....so I'm just saying "little guy"
LOVE LOVE LOVE The name suggestions!!!
Our kids are away at sleep away camp ( what a cool surprise) and we'll probably let them name her...him....argh

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhhh cutie patootie!!!

cheers--Sharon

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohmygoodness he/she is beautiful. And found the right savior obviously. We also had parrots and I would’ve scooped him up too! How sweet! We also had a sweet lovebird once…

So you’re telling me that in 2023, instead of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, that A Lovebird Shines in the Diamond District? :lol:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much everyone!!
Whoever clipped his wing feathers- clipped both sides-
I recommend clipping only one side, if you have to clip.
This way the bird can still fly a bit, but not where he wants to go- when you clip both some flight is possible.
Like this afternoon when he flew to the one open window in the office....whew....no bad result, and window immediately closed.....
Anyway, I've decided he's a boy.
If he lays eggs, well, that's his choice and I'll defend his right to live as he/she wishes:)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone!!
Whoever clipped his wing feathers- clipped both sides-
I recommend clipping only one side, if you have to clip.
This way the bird can still fly a bit, but not where he wants to go- when you clip both some flight is possible.
Like this afternoon when he flew to the one open window in the office....whew....no bad result, and window immediately closed.....
Anyway, I've decided he's a boy.
If he lays eggs, well, that's his choice and I'll defend his right to live as he/she wishes:)

How did little birdie get to where he was in one swoop?? How did you take him with you?? (was he your wingman?)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
SO CUTE!!!!!!

peachster

Rough_Rock
The birdie is so adorable. I’m glad you rescued him or her.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How did little birdie get to where he was in one swoop?? How did you take him with you?? (was he your wingman?)

At first I just put him inside my t-shirt. Birdies really do like to snuggle.....
But I realized that while riding he might get spooked...
I have a bag on the back of my bike, which conveniently had a sweatshirt inside, which acted like a nest....he was comfy in there.....
Rode to a pet store on 99 and B'way and got a little box that they use when they sell a bird- and some seed

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A “The Devil Wears Prada” fan might name him Cerulean.

Enjoy your new friend!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How 'bout the name Diamond, or Hope for that blue diamond, or FCD for Feathery Cool Dude.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you can reunite it with the human flock it belongs to.

DutchJackie

Rough_Rock
What a cutie, we used to have love birds :kiss2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How 'bout the name Diamond, or Hope for that blue diamond, or FCD for Feathery Cool Dude.

The Dickinson in me also votes for Hope; "Hope is the thing with feathers..." !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results