shape
carat
color
clarity

You'll never guess what I found riding my bike to work today......

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Aww, he’s a little beauty! I’ve always loved birds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I feel for whoever lost the little guy too. When I ride past, I’ll look for posters on the corner where I found him.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He’s really settling in…. He comes out of the cage and explores.
He’s cracking and eating seeds… but hasn’t touched the millet spray. We’ve offered carrots and peaches….
He still likes to sit on the shoulder but scared of perching on the finger. It will take time.
Paciencia as my grandma used to say

IMG_3105.jpeg IMG_3106.jpeg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
He’s really settling in…. He comes out of the cage and explores.
He’s cracking and eating seeds… but hasn’t touched the millet spray. We’ve offered carrots and peaches….
He still likes to sit on the shoulder but scared of perching on the finger. It will take time.
Paciencia as my grandma used to say

IMG_3105.jpeg IMG_3106.jpeg

Try broccoli and chickpeas. Brown rice too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I encountered this today and I can't not post it, how unexpectedly timely :lol:

1689311762039.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What a lucky bird to have found you. He is a darling little guy.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a strong feeling that my little guy ( to be named soon) came into my hands because he escaped somehow. Maybe an open window……
Lovebirds, by nature, are precocious little peckers:)
I left the cage open, and sure enough, he slowly worked his way out ….. flew to a nearby lamp- one of those tall floor ones. He’s extremely inquisitive…so he’ll sit a spell, then you can see him getting ready… thinking about jumping off that lamp… and doing so….
Most of the time he’ll fly across the room and end up fluttering down on a table or the floor - he gladly lets me cup my hands around him and pick him up…just like I did when I first found him.
Still doesn’t like to hop onto the finger and perch. He might never. I’ll keep trying
He will sit on my shoulder for hours, chewing on, and ultimately making holes in my t-shirt
He’s actually flown onto my shoulder a few times. Extremely gratifying.
I am totally in love …..

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'd keep it obvious, and call him Found.8)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a strong feeling that my little guy ( to be named soon) came into my hands because he escaped somehow. Maybe an open window……
I left the cage open, and sure enough, he slowly worked his way out ….. flew to a nearby lamp- one of those tall floor ones. He’s extremely inquisitive…so he’ll sit a spell, then you can see him getting ready… thinking about jumping off that lamp… and doing so….
Most of the time he’ll fly across the room and end up fluttering down on a table or the floor - he gladly lets me cup my hands around him and pick him up…just like I did when I first found him.
Still doesn’t like to hop onto the finger and perch. He might never. I’ll keep trying
He will sit on my shoulder for hours, chewing on, and ultimately making holes in my t-shirt
I am totally in love …..

Your adopted birdie is too sweet. I’d be in love, too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am totally in love …..

If you found a lost human child would you keep it because it was so sweet, endearing, and loving?
I'm not saying a bird is the same as a human ... but I now know companion parrots well enough to call it close enough to not just keep it.
I'm advocating for the bird's point of view.
Parrots are intelligent beings that grieve the loss of human(s) they have bonded with.

A bird that tame is a loved member of its human family/flock.
For the sake of the bird (not for you) please do everything in your power to reunite it with its family/flock.
Please continue trying for a very very very long time before giving up.
If you are successful, bless you ... then find an orphan birdie to adopt.
There are many parrots that are given up (by humans who didn't do their homework) and need a loving home.

In the mean time I'd get him/her on a quality small parrot pellet diet, and chop.
The chop Bibi gets is fromTrader Joe's.
It's a grain and vege frozen medley from Italy.
Because it contains some vinegar, which I soak it first in with boiling water, then when thawed, cool water.

Seeds are like cheesecake to parrots, so of course they love it.
But it's full of fat and little nutrition, so it should comprise a small part of their diet, maybe 10%
A change of diet may take a long time for the bird to accept it; keep offering it for several weeks, or months if needed.
Gradually taper off the seeds if that's what it's used to.
Get a postal scale and weigh the guy and monitor its weight when changing the diet.
Learn what the healthy range is for your bird.

I'd get rid of those straight perches.
Forever standing on the same diameter wood can lead to foot problems.
Find a source locally, or online, for bird-safe tree branches (no pesticide) with varying diameter, preferably with clean bark safe for them to chew on.
Ya know, a bird's gotta chew what a bird's gotta chew.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for caring for him @Rockdiamond and I agree with Kenny...I would do everything possible to reunite him/her with their human parents. I can only imagine the heartbreak they are feeling now and the heartbreak the bird is experiencing as well..good luck and thank you for saving him/her

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The little sweetheart's humans may have had an identity chips installed under the skin, like they put in dogs and cats.
A vet can scan for that.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was in 6th grade, my grandmother (who lived in the other side of our duplex) had a budgie who had the free run of the house. His name was Kikito. He perched on her eyeglasses, his tail trailing down her nose! He chattered obscenities in Italian. He drank 7-Up from her tumbler. He was a character-- and truly a member of the family. We all loved him.

As she lived right next door to us, we walked freely back and forth into each other's homes. One day someone opened the door and startled, he flew out.

My grandmother was heartbroken! We were all upset. My grandfather had died the previous year, and he'd been very fond of the bird-- so she had a lot of memories of the two of them together. And now he was gone.

We advertised in our local paper, and after 2 weeks the ad was seen by a priest who had found Kikito, 5 miles away. The priest had given him to a woman he knew who kept birds. It seemed like a miracle to us when she received a call that her bird had been found. His posture was hunched over when we got him back-- the trip, and losing his family, was hard on him, poor little guy-- but he soon perked up.

Please do everything you can to find its owner. One of the worst parts of losing a pet is worrying about it, whether it's suffering, if it's even alive. My grandmother truly suffered those 2 weeks until he was found.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ve been doing searches online….
There’s ( sadly) virtually no more newspapers.
I seriously doubt the little guy is chipped….. I will make some calls to see if chipping a bird his size is even a possibility.
I can imagine whoever lost him is sad. My brother lost a very tame Quaker Parrot …. It is so sad.
At the same time we really want to make B-dog ( B for short) (Bartholomew- Jacob for long) feel happy, at home and comfortable. Our boys are at sleepaway camp- but today was visiting day so now he has a name.
Great suggestions about perches and food - thanks @kenny
I am waiting for my boys to come home and decorate the cage better- I also love branches as perches.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
On a lighter note, Batholomew-Jacob AKA B-Dog is an adorable name! Quite memorable.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:nono:

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey all!!!
Update:
I finally got to ride back to the neighborhood where I found B-Dog.
I did a grid- about 4 blocks out from where I found him checking every light post and storefront (there are not a lot of stores on these blocks)
No signs. Nothing.
Also kinda strange is that he is not banded. Most birds bought in stores have an identifying band on one leg.
We're taking him to a local vet tomorrow to check for a chip....but I really doubt he's chipped, given that he's not even banded.

Just curious, but ...why????????

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked into the "Nextdoor" app? People post lost pets on there. Not sure about Manhattan but you can pick a neighborhood which might help narrow things down. Or you could post "found bird" and see if someone responds that they lost a Lovebird. That's the only thing I can think of to suggest, other than finding out if he is chipped.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all!!!
Update:
I finally got to ride back to the neighborhood where I found B-Dog.
I did a grid- about 4 blocks out from where I found him checking every light post and storefront (there are not a lot of stores on these blocks)
No signs. Nothing.
Also kinda strange is that he is not banded. Most birds bought in stores have an identifying band on one leg.
We're taking him to a local vet tomorrow to check for a chip....but I really doubt he's chipped, given that he's not even banded.

Just curious, but ...why????????
I'm surprised it's not obvious to you why I posted :nono: .

We live with a precious companion parrot.
So I get how how precious part of the family they can be when that tame.
I advocate for the bird's best interest here.
Thank you for not just leaving him out there, but IMO It doesn't belong to you till you've done the due diligence.
Posting your joy over having the little guy and deciding on its new name strikes me as premature, like keeping it is your priority.

In addition to just looking for signs, I'd be printing and posting signs where you found him.
I'd my brain and scour the Internet for leads on lost pet.
... like Facebook, Next door, discussion fora for vets, orgs that might offer resources for lost pets, etc.

Over the last 60 years I've had several birds, and not one was banded.
I googled around and found your suspicion I is partially correct, that some vets won't band a lovebird, but others would.
I'd be making phone calls, or just dropping into my local vets.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Priority???
So I guess just close up shop, and ignore family and business commitments ???
145th Street and St Nicholas Avenue, in Manhattan. Kind of a crazy hood. I'm fully comfortable in Harlem- but it's just not the kind of place where I could knock on doors.
As bad as I feel for the folks who lost him, fate put him in my hands. I'm not going to leave him on ice- we're going to make him feel as safe and comfortable as possible.

ETA- the last thing I wanted right now was a pet.

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does seem like the one additional step you can take is to actively post about finding the bird. I see that Lost website you linked to above has a Found section. Have you posted there? Have you alerted local vets that you've found a bird? I'm sure in this day and age in NYC there is an excellent bird network of sorts put together for just this reason. But you would definitely know better than I!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It does seem like the one additional step you can take is to actively post about finding the bird. I see that Lost website you linked to above has a Found section. Have you posted there? Have you alerted local vets that you've found a bird? I'm sure in this day and age in NYC there is an excellent bird network of sorts put together for just this reason. But you would definitely know better than I!

I agree and think that it's great that the bird is getting good care and hopefully , can go home. If not, David will take great care of him.

The only other thing that could be done proactively is an online posting to indicate that you found this particular variety of bird, and the general area, and then ask for folks to contact you if they think it's their bird and then you can vet the legitimacy of the responses.

Next door allows you to do that, Facebook probably has something, and the bird site seems like a good idea. I guess you could also post on craigslist perhaps.

I don't think that it's incumbent on you to knock on doors or be visiting all of the vet offices in upper Manhattan. That's not reasonable. Where you found the bird and knowing the distance that they can fly, that's a huge area with lots and lots of people! Door knocking and vet calling in this circumstance is not what I'd do. I'd post on nextdoor, the bird site and see if there is another option for lost animals in NYC generally for posting.

I also think that picking a name to call the bird is fine, rather than just calling him Bird while he's in your care!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@kenny- I don't know how we got off on the wrong foot so many years ago...it's a shame.
If you found this bird- and were in the position to go around putting up signs, I would salute you. I am not in that position.
Now, after fate put this little guy directly in my path,
I'd just ask- think about the logistics before you condemn me so quickly.
145th and St Nicholas Avenue- it's a densely populated area. This is the Big Apple- where and how am I supposed to put up posters?
Maybe you're retired. Some days that sounds nice.
But according to my accountant, I won't be able to retire till 12 years after I die. So there are time issues as well.
This is an amazing community- I joined Nextdoor- and can't figure out how to search in Harlem NYC. If anyone reading this knows how to do so, I'm all ears.

And the meantime, I will do all I can to make B-Dog feel like part of our family.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you are taking care of the sweet bird. May I suggest you check Pawboost or Pet FBI? Someone lost a lovebird in NY last June and posted. I'm pretty sure it would be hard for a lovebird to survive a whole year unless you are the second person who rescued it, but I included the link just to bring you to the site.

Here's the link to Pet FBI

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@kenny- I don't know how we got off on the wrong foot so many years ago...it's a shame.
If you found this bird- and were in the position to go around putting up signs, I would salute you. I am not in that position.
Now, after fate put this little guy directly in my path,
I'd just ask- think about the logistics before you condemn me so quickly.
145th and St Nicholas Avenue- it's a densely populated area. This is the Big Apple- where and how am I supposed to put up posters?
Maybe you're retired. Some days that sounds nice.
But according to my accountant, I won't be able to retire till 12 years after I die. So there are time issues as well.
This is an amazing community- I joined Nextdoor- and can't figure out how to search in Harlem NYC. If anyone reading this knows how to do so, I'm all ears.

And the meantime, I will do all I can to make B-Dog feel like part of our family.
Okay if you go to the post section, which is the home screen at the bottom- it's a plus sign -you can put the location in. I did that and you just search for it, and then once you select the location, you can put up a picture or whatever information you want and make a post for that area.

You can also search but the search function is chaotic. I would just do a post of your own. That is what I have done before when I have found lost dogs along with taking them to the vet to be scanned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717-190312.png
    Screenshot_20230717-190312.png
    355.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230717-190321.png
    Screenshot_20230717-190321.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 11

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Craigslist has lost and found too. Some birds.

Screenshot_20230717-191109.png

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay if you go to the post section, which is the home screen at the bottom- it's a plus sign -you can put the location in. I did that and you just search for it, and then once you select the location, you can put up a picture or whatever information you want and make a post for that area

Done and thank you!!

May I suggest you check Pawboost

wow...Amazing find!!!! I spoke to the nice lady and we eliminated B-Dog based on his behavior, as well as time and distance.....

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only other thing that could be done proactively is an online posting to indicate that you found this particular variety of bird.

sorry, but I disagree with this. From what little I know, Lovebirds can cost a fair amount of money. Posting the variety of bird found, with no chip, no band etc to identify it could make it difficult to determine if someone was the actual owner. I would post "found bird" and if someone is looking, they can say what kind of bird and probably send a photo of the bird they are looking for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results