Would You Risk It?

Would you risk it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No Way

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
I am talking HPHT here.

Back when I first purchased my (future and now present! E-ring) diamond I took a chance on the lower color because the pics looked great and the price couldn't be beat. There was no way I was ever going to get a diamond like this retail. In the pics the M color appeared very white and I loved how I could see each "box" of my EC's facets so clearly- it truly was a beautiful diamond. When the ring came I was thrilled and thought the color was very white for being so low. Next to whiter diamonds I had it wasn't as bright, sure, more of a muted white, but by no means yellow and the tint was a warm pinkish brown which was far nicer anyway. But the ring sat it its box and wasn't worn. At the time I did some research and inquiring about HPHT and found a vendor that said he could do it - but at no gaurantees- it might damage the clarity, it would probably need to be repolished after (you mean I'd lose ct weight?!), etc. I didn't pursue it. The risk was far too great.

Flash forward and I am engaged, wearing my ring happily every day. For the most part, it rocks, I think. But in different lights (indoors mostly, the bathroom especially!) it just looks dingy to me sometimes. The sparkle and flash it gives off is diminished visually compared to a brighter, whiter, more colorless diamond. I get self-concious about the color sometimes though I know better - the tint is quite negligible, especially to your average person. In fact, I usually recieve at least one compliment a day on it.

So here I am again considering it. I have emailed novadiamond about it. I'm really thinking about it. But if my diamond cracked, or even disintigrated (yes, a real risk!) I would be kicking myself in the... oh god, it would just be so bad.
23.gif

My fiance thinks it's very foolish and that the diamond is pretty white on its own. I do agree, but...

If it worked, I know my stone would look better, it would also be worth a lot more potentially, which is not a real motivator for me as I'd intend to keep it, but is undeniable. It would also be worth a lot less as diamond dust.

What do YOU think?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you explain the process to us Sarita?? I''m not familiar with it. I''m guessing it''s a heat treatment of some sort?? To enhance the color?? Thanks!!!
34.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Like Kaleigh, I''m interested to know the specifics of the treatment, but either way, from what you said, I voted "no way." But then again, I''m not a gambling sort of woman
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t risk it either. If it something that is really bothering you, I''d start a little upgrade fund to start working on a stone that might have that little something you feel your current one is missing
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 9:08:39 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I wouldn''t risk it either. If it something that is really bothering you, I''d start a little upgrade fund to start working on a stone that might have that little something you feel your current one is missing
1.gif
Ditto Mrs Salvo, I would not risk it either and personally I would take a natural non-treated M diamond over a treated I looking diamond or whatever anyday!! I''m a natural girl!

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks John for posting the link.

Date: 2/23/2006 11:06:55 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 2/23/2006 9:08:39 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I wouldn't risk it either. If it something that is really bothering you, I'd start a little upgrade fund to start working on a stone that might have that little something you feel your current one is missing
1.gif
Ditto Mrs Salvo, I would not risk it either and personally I would take a natural non-treated M diamond over a treated I looking diamond or whatever anyday!! I'm a natural girl!
I know I know... believe me that is the ultimate goal but that would be so far away at this point. Even if I upgrade down the line though I'd still want to keep this diamond, and I think it's a pretty fine size for everyday even though I do get shrinkage sometimes.

FWIW I undestand the "un-natural" aspect of HPHT and had to really ask myself even if it turned out phenomenal afterwards would I view it as less because it was treated? Probably to some degree, I guess, but the process mimics what happens in nature when a diamond is forming and nothing is being added to it like in clarity enhancement. I guess you could say the same about irradiating a diamond but somehow that seems more synthetic to me and the findings seem to agree.

I'm wondering if a thin plat bezel would help or pronouce what I dislike (expert advice seems to be contradictive on the subject - white metal to help illuminate the stone OR yellow to contrast against the white in it). Truth be told I really like the solitaire best though.
40.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This H&A story made me associate ''technology'' and precious stones ... allot more than I would have ever thought. Meaning, what the heck - treatments are cool for what they are. Personal opinion... that is.

However, I wouldn''t do that either. For once I would want to know how often is such treatment done on cut stones? And even then... if there''s no rush, why not sell the thing and upgrade? The treatment can''t be free of charge and adding up risks and the certain weight loss at the required recut, it doesn''t look like such a deal. How much worse is upgrading to a safer bet color (J? - that would still make a leap towards less color).

If anything, you could get an already treated diamond as an upgrade - no risk, same result.

Unless you decide to fall in love with yellow gold - that would help. No kidding.

Just a thought.
38.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Here's another interesting thread on HPHT - someone posted a pic of their treated stone as well: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-cert-on-a-heat-treated-diamond.28708/=

Valeria,

Yes I have not heard much about the results on cut stones myself. Novadiamond lists price at $500 for treatment (kinda refeshing considering the other guy I spoke w/ a while back said a too-good-to-be-true $150 and I hadn't heard anything about his company to know if it was reputable or not). I also just want to know the general odds for a success... give me a ballpark. I like yellow gold enough but prefer the white, especially with diamonds, and for my primary aka e-ring. In my ideal world years down the line I'dl have maybe a 2.5ct near colorless EC and maybe experiement to enhance the pink tint of my EC!

Well I too am not a gambler really so I doubt I would go through with it but I do drift to considering it.

thanks all for your feedback & telling me what I know but need to hear

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarita - I have long adored your diamond and I know what you mean about the pinky tint - I think of it as a " blush" colour in some pics of it. I wouldn''t do a THING to that baby, no way, but I am not the one wearing it but with such a lovely rock I wouldn''t risk the treatment. I think you can get over this, just look at how unique and gorgeous your ring is and I bet it still looks very white in most lights. We all go through it with our diamonds, unloess they are D ''s or E''s that they can take on different hues in different lights, no diamond looks great all the time in some lights and I bet that is what you are seeing. By the way, cough, wouldn''t mind some more pics of it if you get the chance
30.gif
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 1:35:50 AM
Author: sarita

I also just want to know the general odds for a success... give me a ballpark.

I don't know... Only that rough is typically treated, not cut stones. Maybe they know something
7.gif

The thought of turning diamonds pink is not unpleasant, but that of turning this one either to dust, or a hazy whitish mess is. And my expectations are not great... simple because the treatment has been around for a while, but not commonly applied to cut diamonds, as far as I know. Another bit of info that is available refers to what types of rough are suitable for these treatments - apparently not everything and the outcome depends on the material. I've never heard of a flood of light pink HPHT - only a few stones here and there.

Anyway, I do not have any hard numbers either.

Hate YG... the other thing that may work would be a closer setting - thinking of a bezel (like the ones by Perret, say) or a half bezel.

ep8big.jpg
41DD13.jpg

Perret: couldn't find an equally nice all And a farely closed setting that is white and not a bezel
white metal picture... (Bondanza @ Pearlmans' )

If and how such a thing would work depends on the cut of the stone in some mysterious way. But if you could try out something at a jeweler's shop I would give it a try. Taking out this stone is surely not worth it, perhaps they might have another M-ish EC set in a closed setting. Just an idea. Honestly, I've looked back on your rings' thread and this one looks so lovely!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Sarita, don''t do it! The diamond has to be a specific type (I can''t remember all the specifics and the type names) and even then there''s a good chance the process can distroy the diamond. I checked into it once, too. It just seems too much to risk. What if it did crack or disintegrate?

As another M colored diamond owner I do totally understand exactly what you are thinking and feeling. In some lights the tint is much more apparent and you may wonder if you made a mistake in getting a diamond with so much body color. BUT! I have had two other diamonds much brighter color and in some light they didn''t look so great either. I''m sure others here will also note that their ideal cut diamond, no matter the color or clarity, goes dark in direct sunlight at certain angles. The point is I don''t think ANY diamond looks 100% sparkly and perfect in every single light.

Your diamond is breathtaking. Don''t think for a minute that it isn''t. It is just soooooo easy to second guess and the pasture always looks greener on the other side. Just remember that here at Pricescope we all see the kind of diamonds all together in one space that you might happen to see on one individual in real life (depending on your social circles) maybe once in a blue moon. It kind of jades you, ya know? But I''ll bet if you took your diamond to nearly ANY jeweler they would tell you that your diamond is beautiful and that you did very well when you bought it. If you are getting complements on it all the time, that should tell you that your diamond is beautiful. Having that little bit of tint makes it an individual and a unique diamond. The fact that it has a little bit of tint is what allowed you to get such an incredible diamond. I think it''s gorgeous, anyway (and we all know that MY opinion is what matters, LOL! Tongue planted FIRMLY in cheek!)

Anyway, that''s my two bucks, for whatever it''s worth.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Sarita, Oooh, I have an idea. A platinum ring with rose gold prongs or bezel to enhance the pinkish tint. I would not risk that baby. You are so lucky to have that tint as a background. I would definitely try to enhance the color with the rose gold. HTH.

shay

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that''s what i was thinking too shay... rose gold. celebrate the uniqueness of your ring sarita. don''t try to make it something it''s not.
and no way on the hpht!
32.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 9:17:17 AM
Author: belle
that''s what i was thinking too shay... rose gold. celebrate the uniqueness of your ring sarita. don''t try to make it something it''s not.
and no way on the hpht!
32.gif
That''s because great minds think alike.
9.gif

shay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of resetting it in rose gold! I agree, it is what it is. Better to later have it as a unique and lovely RHR (maybe an antique style?) and get a whiter diamond as an e-ring, IMO. I would not risk treating a diamond.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Sarita! I remember your diamond! From long ago on another forum!
2.gif

I love it. For the longest time I saved its picture as an example of how lovely a a warmer colored diamond can really can be.

I agree with the others who suggest resetting it in something that enhances and celebrates its uniqueness.

JMO
1.gif

widget

solange

Brilliant_Rock
It is one thing to buy a stone you know has been heat treated and is priced accordingly. But to take a chance on a stone you already own is really risky.

I have not seen your ring, but from the comments here, it is lovely. I hope you can post a picture here.

The stone you have seems, from what is said, to be a pretty pinkish color. If you have the stone heat treated, even if it is not damaged, what guarantee is there that it will turn out an attractive color?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarita,

Please see my thread (Three More Days) and you will see that my partner''s ring is a HPHT blue 1.04 carat diamond center. It''s absolutely beautiful. The cut is terrific. It''s VS2. And it sparkles like crazy. It wasn''t an inexpensive stone to begin with and it was one we specifically sought, viewed and approved before having it set.

There are many who believe that treated stones are of inferior quality. Perhaps some are, but there are others that are high quality and stunning.

Now, that said, I would absolutely NOT have your diamond treated. It sounds like your stone is quite beautiful as it is. If you really would prefer a "whiter" diamond, you should see about trading up in color. But remember cut more than anything determines a stones sparkle. Or, as other''s have posted, take that lovely stone of yours and reset in metal that might take more advantage of the stones unique colors.

Good luck...........

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually something like a rose gold antique setting with some filigree or pave, a setting to really showcase the warmth of the stone would be just lovely. i like lower colored stones in something more unique like that anyhow, more like maybe how it ''really'' used to be in the old days!

when we saw stephan''s big K asscher, you could definitely see warmth in it, but in the right setting, that baby would just sing sing sing. i think that alot of it has to do with how the stone is showcased.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Well gosh thanks everyone for your kind comments and helpful suggestions.

I do have a rose gold plain silk fit band that I have tried on next to my E-ring to try to get the idea of what it would look like set in that color, thinking I'd really like it, but was surprised to see the effect was more of a wash-out. The colors were kinda too similar and the pink seemed to just distract visually away from the diamond.

Valeria - I was looking at some lower-set wider contour bands - I wonder if that would provide a similar effect to the wide one you posted. But I like that without the basket my ring can sit flush, and the thinner solitaire also makes the diamond pop more.

Lumpkin - I was hoping you'd see this thread! I have seen pics of your ring and knew you had similar frustrations at times with your pear, which I also think is beautiful - but I know you can really second guess in certain lights... The other night out at dinner I used the ladies room and decided to check out my diamond since it looks dreadful in my bathroom home and it looked totally different though I guessed the lighting to be about the same! With low candlelight lamps my diamond really does throw off sparkles and this warm pretty hue.

diamondseeker - Your advice is probably what what I will end up doing eventually down the road, but not for some time.

The truth is my diamond can look pretty white IRL and in pics - but usually in pics I try to get some degree of what I call that "brilliance shot" where the stone is throwing off white light from the table facet or similar. I do have some pics where the diamond looks downright dingy - of course those are the ones I am not so incline to share.
41.gif
it is really hard for me to capture a pic where the color is noticeable yet pretty though you can see it IRL. I'll post some of it in different lighting situations.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 2:11:14 PM
Author: Mara
actually something like a rose gold antique setting with some filigree or pave, a setting to really showcase the warmth of the stone would be just lovely. i like lower colored stones in something more unique like that anyhow, more like maybe how it ''really'' used to be in the old days!

Oh, I love that idea.
36.gif

And I voted "no way." I prefer natural to treated anyday and it sounds like yours is already quite beautiful.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the dinge

ETA: This is also why I hate handshots. I got a manicure for the first time ever last Mon to try and curb the habit - after the weekend it'll be 2 weeks! I'm pretty proud.
3.gif

ECSun3.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe its just me, but I don''t see any dinge.
33.gif
It looks great to me.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
This one you can see the warmth but it looks much better, I think...

ETA: It's looking smudged in that 1st one and I do realize you can see the facets better in this one.

ECSun.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one of the more recent ones where I got it at its whiter (that''s the fridge door in the background). Actually you can see it''s warmish but it''s like a soft glow, not yucky.

FaceonWhiter.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Here's on it my jewelry box nearby a F pear ring and (D) cz EC of similar proportions. Sorry so large.

BoxZoom.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Same box, in sunlight. See I think it looks yucky here too.

box6.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That last pic says to me the ring needs a good cleaning. The other pics look pretty white to me?? But like the others have suggested a rose gold setting or something along those lines sounds like a great idea to me.
2.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Finally here it is inside a white box. (I think this is a pretty color but it rarely looks this dramatic).

Sorry for the bombardment.

ECSandy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results