shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather have one stunning jewelry piece, ten nice pieces or fifty costume-ish pieces?

Would you rather have one stunning jewelry piece, ten nice pieces or fifty costume-ish pieces?

• One stunning piece

• Ten nice pieces

• Fifty costume-ish pieces

• Other (explain below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Engagement rings are NOT included for this poll though they can be included in the discussion of course.

Also, dollar amounts aren't listed because they'd vary so much among us, if we are talking reality rather than just our dream wish lists.

But, let's say the ten nicer jewelry pieces would equal the same dollar amount as the one big piece, as would the fifty costume-ish pieces.

Also, what would your pieces be if you know, and do you already have them?

As always, pics are very welcome!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I’m a minimalist-one stunning piece.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna go with ten.

I see the wow factor appeal of having just one drop dead gorgeous ring or something. But I'd would worry about having something that costly stolen and would also not like wearing only one piece.

I have tried to go back to lower cost jewelry like I wore when I was young and let's face it, it's fun to buy lots and lots of pretties. But I just don't wear the costume jewelry too often or even the sterling silver. I guess it's because I already have nicer ones so it seems strange to leave them in the jewelry box. Fifty costume-ish pieces isn't it for me either, though at one time it was.

That leaves the ten nice pieces choice, which sounds just about right for me. Though I'd rather have twenty or thirty haha.

Come to think of it, I am not sure how many of these "nicer" pieces I do have. Will have to check...

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Logically I would like to want the one stunning piece but realistically I can’t just have one thing. :) So I choose 10 nice pieces. But I still think many of my pieces are stunning ;-)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this question as it's something I have often asked myself as I look at my total jewelry spend thinking "Wow, I could have some REALLY nice pieces". But even when I have the money to spend, I can't bring myself to spend $$$$$ on a single piece.

So for bracelets and rings, it's 10 nice pieces much for the same reason that @Mreader and @seaurchin . Plus I get bored wearing the same things.

For necklaces and earrings, it's a combination - 2-3 nice pieces and 30 costume-ish pieces. I like having a few nicer staple pieces but enjoy accessorizing outfits with larger/fun costume pieces that color coordinate with what I am earing. For that reason, I voted Other.

Last edited:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Since I’m a creature of habit, and therefore, tend to wear the same thing over and over again, I’ll go with one signature but stunning piece.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Ten nice pieces, and I already have them:

1, 2, and 3: diamond studs, diamond tennis bracelet, and diamond pendant in WG
4 and 5: Cartier trinity necklace and bracelet
6, 6.5, and 7: Champagne diamond ring (with matching platinum diamond band) and blue sapphire double halo diamond ring
8, 9, and10: Tiffany etoile ring, Tiffany diamond X ring, and Tiffany DBTY platinum bracelet

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to go with one stunning piece. I don’t think you ever go wrong choosing quality over quantity.
However, I count myself fortunate in having a few nice quality things and a few nice things - lol!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going with 10, because it’s nice to have a little variety :D

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So now I'm wondering why I feel like the correct answer I should have is the fifty least costly pieces. Maybe just because I do not see my urge for more ever going away regardless of how many I already have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One, or zero as I save up for that one.

seaurchin you asked, "Also, what would your pieces be if you know, and do you already have them?"
My holy grail ring would be a fully-natural 4 ct Fancy Vivid or Intense Blue or Green, with no modifying hues, VVS1 Octavia.
I like very high clarity, but still want a tiny inclusion or two for identification purposes.
Even though asschers face up small for their weight, a 5 carats honking would hurt my ears.
I think I could somehow force myself to tolerate a 4 ct. :Up_to_something:
Imagine the side view in a $500 cobalt chrome tension setting! :cheeky:

Alas, that ain't gonna happen since I don't buy lottery tickets. :cry2:
One minor reason I'd like a large FCD in a rare pure color is nobody would recognize it as being a diamond, or worth a fortune.
It's kind of the opposite of a status symbol.
I like that.

Still, I'm thrilled with the Octavia I do have. :dance:

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I own more than 50 pieces which I could probably sell off to buy 10 very nice pieces but I haven’t done it so I guess I pick other bc mine aren’t costume.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Ten nice pieces. I like diamonds and unusual gemstones too much to go with just costume jewelry. I have quite a few nice pieces, with a few more on the way and then just a few more after that on the bucket list. It helps that I like small diamonds and pastel gems.

I am having a hard time thinking of a “stunning” piece that I would actually wear. My ideal diamond tennis bracelet is 3 carats. Maybe use red diamonds? Like @kenny said, the expensive pieces I would wear would not look that expensive.

I’d wear a tennis bracelet made out of blackened gold and 1 carat French cuts — that should cost, right?

I think ten nice pieces is the perfect middle ground for me. I like sparkly big diamonds so the 50 costume pieces would not scratch that itch. But a single HG piece wouldn’t work either for the following reasons: I’d be too afraid of losing it to wear it all the time, I like wearing multiple pieces of jewelry (eg earrings and bracelet, or two rings and a watch etc), I like variety and switching things up and if I did lose it I would never recover from the soul crushing despair.

My 10 nice pieces (still rather nice, but my HG would have been verrrryyyy nice indeed):

1) diamond studs (already have - 3ctw)
2) diamond tennis bracelet (in the ~10ct range would be ideal)
3) ering (Would be a soli or a halo ring in the ~3ct category)
4) RHR (solitaire or halo ring in the ~1ct category OR large eternity band)
5) diamond pendant (in the 1ct category)
6) diamond tennis necklace (as high ctw as I can afford, or an illusion style if it isn’t too expensive), with a mechanism that I can attach the diamond pendant to as a detachable drop
7) polki rani haar (for Indian wear) with a detachable large polki pendant.
8) long diamond earrings (already have)
9) strand of white pearls (ideally south sea pearls)
10) detachable Pearl drops to attach to my studs

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been collecting for such a long time I think I actually own about 20 nice pieces! Unfortunately I just bought what I could afford at the time- if I had been more disciplined to save up maybe it could have been 10 even nicer pieces. However, taken to its logical conclusion I’d never buy anything, so I’m pretty happy with what I have. Very little on the wishlist now, thankfully!

I think ten nice pieces is the perfect middle ground for me. I like sparkly big diamonds so the 50 costume pieces would not scratch that itch. But a single HG piece wouldn’t work either for the following reasons: I’d be too afraid of losing it to wear it all the time, I like wearing multiple pieces of jewelry (eg earrings and bracelet, or two rings and a watch etc), I like variety and switching things up and if I did lose it I would never recover from the soul crushing despair.

My 10 nice pieces (still rather nice, but my HG would have been verrrryyyy nice indeed):

1) diamond studs (already have - 3ctw)
2) diamond tennis bracelet (in the ~10ct range would be ideal)
3) ering (Would be a soli or a halo ring in the ~3ct category)
4) RHR (solitaire or halo ring in the ~1ct category OR large eternity band)
5) diamond pendant (in the 1ct category)
6) diamond tennis necklace (as high ctw as I can afford, or an illusion style if it isn’t too expensive), with a mechanism that I can attach the diamond pendant to as a detachable drop
7) polki rani haar (for Indian wear) with a detachable large polki pendant.
8) long diamond earrings (already have)
9) strand of white pearls (ideally south sea pearls)
10) detachable Pearl drops to attach to my studs

Upon further reflection, I think I want to change something - I’ll replace the detachable Pearl drops with large polki chaandbaalis instead. I can conceivably do without Pearl earrings, but for Indian wear I desperately need long Indian earrings!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Well, actions speak louder than words, and this question is a bit close to the bone...

I am sort of ashamed to say that I do have about 50 pieces and that at most 5 of them would count as top quality by PS standards.

I love this question as it's something I have often asked myself as I look at my total jewelry spend thinking "Wow, I could have some REALLY nice pieces". But even when I have the money to spend, I can't bring myself to spend $$$$$ on a single piece.

These are my thoughts exactly. I can’t help thinking I’ve done it wrong, and that for the money I have spent I could have bought 10 fabulous pieces.

I have no costume jewellery. I love cool and interesting stones, and I see my jewellery as a ‘wearable rock collection’ (rings only – I’m a guy), not as personal adornment.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
My jewellery passion has been with me since I was a small child, dressing up in my Mother's pearls & bracelets & oggling any thing sparkly. When I was a teenager I could only afford costume pieces but if I added all the money I had spent on it, I could have bought one or two really nice pieces. So my answer to this question is I would rather just have one fabulous item & never wear anything else :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the one stunning piece of jewellery only gets worn on the odd grand occasions, then I would rather have 10 nice pieces of less stunning ones that I can wear as often as I can.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, actions speak louder than words, and this question is a bit close to the bone...

I am sort of ashamed to say that I do have about 50 pieces and that at most 5 of them would count as top quality by PS standards.

These are my thoughts exactly. I can’t help thinking I’ve done it wrong, and that for the money I have spent I could have bought 10 fabulous pieces.

I have no costume jewellery. I love cool and interesting stones, and I see my jewellery as a ‘wearable rock collection’ (rings only – I’m a guy), not as personal adornment.

your not the only one who thinks that

its best to try and forget about the $$$ spent and just enjoy your rings and make peace with them

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe a new thread is required - Your Top 10 Pieces 2021 Version!

DK :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results