shape
carat
color
clarity

William and Kate and Diana's Ring

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, 30 years ago a 19 year old Diana picked a large blue sapphire ring out of a tray because she thought it was pretty. Does it really matter whether it is now considered top quality or not? The Queen's diamond (3 carat) came from a busted up tiara, and she's fine with it. There are PS'ers with more far more expensive rings. I just find all this dispute kind of funny. Sure there are connoisseurs here on this board, but 30 years ago this was not an issue. I'm sure it was top quality something for the time period. Tastes also change over time. If I had a choice, I would pick a Kashmir, but at 19 I probably wouldn't have cared too much. Surely it is a stunning piece regardless of whether it's too dark for an individual's taste today.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1290456244|2775713 said:
So, 30 years ago a 19 year old Diana picked a large blue sapphire ring out of a tray because she thought it was pretty. Does it really matter whether it is now considered top quality or not? The Queen's diamond (3 carat) came from a busted up tiara, and she's fine with it. There are PS'ers with more far more expensive rings. I just find all this dispute kind of funny. Sure there are connoisseurs here on this board, but 30 years ago this was not an issue. I'm sure it was top quality something for the time period. Tastes also change over time. If I had a choice, I would pick a Kashmir, but at 19 I probably wouldn't have cared too much. Surely it is a stunning piece regardless of whether it's too dark for an individual's taste today.

+1

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lyra, NatyLad,

I can appreciate the sentiment attached to the ring (see my comment on provenance). However, there are a number of confusions here over objective, not subjective, gemmological issues (see, e.g. the conflation of clarity with translucency). These are what I (and, I suspect, Pandora and Chrono) am trying to have clarified. As for "top colour," I have always maintained that, even though there may be an industry ideal, it is fundamentally a matter of personal preference.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet|1290459712|2775772 said:
Lyra, NatyLad,

I can appreciate the sentiment attached to the ring (see my comment on provenance). However, there are a number of confusions here over objective, not subjective, gemmological issues (see, e.g. the conflation of clarity with translucency). These are what I (and, I suspect, Pandora and Chrono) am trying to have clarified. As for "top colour," I have always maintained that, even though there may be an industry ideal, it is fundamentally a matter of personal preference.

I just don't see these purely gemological issues as ever being solved. This ring has been around for 30 years and we the public have never seen a certificate, a truly detailed and documented reference to the stone, or anything that is concrete. All is speculation. We don't even have decent quality images to judge by. Even after 30 years, we're still seeing that it is described as an 18 carat sapphire, which I'm sure we can all agree, it is not. Now that it has passed on to the young Kate, I doubt any of us will ever see it in any exhibition either. It's all conjecture. I'm not one to attach any personal sentiment to any material things, and of course don't see a ring as bad luck either. It's a lovely piece to look at regardless, and I'm hoping that Kate receives some pieces designed especially for her in the future.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lyra,

I have not said anything about the ring. If I had wanted to, I would have done so in the first thread about the engagement (see Hangout). The only thing I have said about the sapphire is that it appears too dark in photographs. All my other questions have had to do with gemmological theory as it is presented in this thread, not even with its application.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet|1290465297|2775864 said:
Lyra,

I have not said anything about the ring. If I had wanted to, I would have done so in the first thread about the engagement (see Hangout). The only thing I have said about the sapphire is that it appears too dark in photographs. All my other questions have had to do with gemmological theory as it is presented in this thread, not even with its application.

I wasn't disagreeing with you Harriet, or putting words in your mouth, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. What I mean to convey is that it is a shame we DON'T get any real information on the stone. I only wish we had a lot more to go on.

I even wonder about what would happen if the stone were damaged. Would the public even know if the stone had been replaced? I guess we have no real rights to that information, but to me it's more interesting stuff than being bombarded with tabloid stories on the supposed goings on in the RF. More info on the bling, less on the people. :appl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1290459712|2775772 said:
Lyra, NatyLad,

But how would any of us know any of the relevant factors? Photographs on a computer screen (or in newspapers or tabloids or magazines, etc.) are unreliable. We don't have any kind of actual gemological analysis of the actual stone. None of us has seen it in person. I think all things considered, we don't have the necessary information to make an objective evaluation of the stone. This would require an actual gemological analysis and obviously none of us is ever going to be in the position to see one let alone perform one. Just my opinion.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1290465297|2775864 said:
Lyra,

I just saw your clarification and I accept you're saying of course, Harriet.

As to my comments about others' comments about the actual ring, in this thread and others, I'll stand by the opinion I just posted to the effect that we don't and won't have the necessary information to objectively evaluate the stone in this ring.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1290456244|2775713 said:

I agree, lyra.

It would fascinating to know the origin, whether it was heat treated, whether it was otherwise treated, whether the stone has been replaced (stranger things have happened), and an expert appraiser's evaluation of its "quality."

Having said this, we're never going to have access to any of this information, and this ring is now one of the most iconic jewels in the history of mankind (for better or worse; please forgive the pun).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries, Lyra.

Danny, maybe the mystery is part of the romance?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps we’ve gone a little off track but I was not discussing or commenting specifically on the late Diana’s (and now Catherine’s) sapphire engagement ring. My comments are about grading of sapphires in general. I agree that it would be great to have more information on the sapphire but it is what it is, which we all have to accept as unknowns us, to the public.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
OH!!!! The date has been set!!!!! April of next year! The next wedding of the century?! What will the dress look like? Super modern or traditional? and what jewels will we see? I would almost put my bets on pearls...but who knows?
Congrats to Wills and Kate!:) ;-)

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
A beautiful photo of beautiful Diana and her little prince...Wow! how time flies!

prince-william-19820816.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Brotherly love......Wills and his best man??????

prince-william-wedding-of-laura-parker-bowles-and-harry-lopes-04eSiN.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The wedding of the century......how will this wedding be? How many will watch?

princess-diana_wedding.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The beautiful sapphire ring....from one beautiful lady, to another....

photo-kgc55-starmaxinc-com-2010-kate-middleton-ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The happy couple, best wishes and congratulations to them both!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The meaning or, some of the meanings behind a sapphire ring!
'THE MEANING OF SAPPHIRE
"The stone of loyalty and fidelity"

Where we got the term : "True Blue"
Metaphysical Properties

Sapphire has long symbolized truth, sincerity, and faithfulness.

Tradition holds that Moses was given the ten commandments on tablets of sapphire, making it the most sacred gemstone.

Because sapphires represent divine favor, they were the gemstone of choice for kings and high priests. The British Crown Jewels are full of large blue sapphires, the symbol of pure and wise rulers.

Since sapphire symbolizes sincerity and faithfulness, it is an excellent choice for an engagement ring. When Prince Charles chose a sapphire engagement ring for Princess Diana, couples all over the world were inspired to revive this venerable tradition.

Sapphire is also the birthstone for September, the month when the most babies are born. Ancient lists also name sapphire as a birthstone for April and the gemstone for the sign of Taurus.'

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!

P.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
How about I post some sapphire engagement rings for us all to have a look at? yummmy!!!!!! Any takers? I can see a few I might choose if I were to do it all again! But i love my sapphire!:)

AAAAAgXh_FoAAAAAAU57XA.jpg

diamond-and-sapphire-ring.jpg

diamond-sapphire-ring.jpg

EAS RUBY AND SAPPHIRE RINGS APRIL 2009 097.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
More sapphire rings to choose from! which would make your e ring list?

images.jpg

kashmir-sapphire-ring-300x300.jpg

kllol.jpg

gr5671-rainbow-sapphire-ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphire for an e ring....traditional and unique!

Pear-Shaped-Round-Sapphire-Engagement-Ring-Platinum.jpg

R0720S_D4.jpg

real-sapphire-ring.jpg

Sapphire_Ring.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Some more...

SapphireRing.jpg

sapphire-rings-19-01-092.jpg

smounted6_09.jpg

TT18046.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
more lovelies...

USGL-Certified-5-50-ct-Sapphire-Ring_2185193_0.jpg

4376_1.jpg

76_lg.jpg

14174M.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
mmmmmmm

BlueSapphireRing.png

bulgari_image.1607886.jpg

feature_jewelry_carbochon_sapphire_ring0527_l.jpg

feature_jewelry_sapphire_diamond_ring0546_l.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
sooooooo pretty ....anyone for a sapphire e ring?

imagkes.jpg

lkhzh945s.jpg

R-8998-2.jpg

fhte-jewelry07.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Or, how about an antique or vintage e ring? with a bit of history behind it....like of course Diana's?

timthumb.php.jpg

1209862937_30-1-1663.jpg

antique_sapphire_ring_r0467_2.jpg

5038137817_96c4bd655d_m.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I love gemstone engagement rings, so I am glad when royals choose them! I am torn with Kate wearing Diana's ring, but it is wonderful to see it again!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking for some royal antique engagement rings to show here, and this ring showed up, granted it has nothing at all to do with the subject, but if you'll allow me the indulgence i think this will amaze ! here is the print that came along with it,
'Now here is a unique piece. This antique ring is an automaton with moving figures built into it! Granted, I don't fully understand how you operate the ring, but the mere concept is unspeakably cool.

From the eBay item description:

This is a very fine and unusual 18K gold mechanical ring with a moving woman and men are playing a song by turning a crank. The background is fine glazed. The ring is in a beautiful and working condition from Isaac Daniel Piguet, Genève, circa 1805.'

musical-automaton-ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Our lovely and adored Diana, the person who is responsible really, for Kate having this ring. Diana chose this ring herself and wore it fabulously. This ring will forever reflect Diana, her choice of sapphire, her class and her classic taste....

89888-1085585100.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results