shape
carat
color
clarity

Will people stop making assumptions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 5:16:18 PM
Author: tradergirl
I just laugh at the comments that if you don''t gush over some cartoonishly large rock and/or Las Vegas style setting, you''re jealous.

My personal taste is that Ellen''s aquamarine ring is jewelry perfection in every way. I do frequent the controversial threads because it''s kind of interesting to watch the tug of war going on. This is a very strange place among internet forums. It seems that you have to be very careful not to step on the toes of the established queen bees here and heaven forbid you express an opinion on anything.
love your style tradergirl !
lol3.gif

nothing bothers me !! i don''t care what you guys say about me.
neenerneenerguy.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 5:31:07 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 7/3/2008 5:25:01 PM

Author: neatfreak

I just laugh at the comments that if you don't gush over some cartoonishly large rock and/or Las Vegas style setting, you're jealous.

My personal taste is that Ellen's aquamarine ring is jewelry perfection in every way. I do frequent the controversial threads because it's kind of interesting to watch the tug of war going on. This is a very strange place among internet forums. It seems that you have to be very careful not to step on the toes of the established queen bees here and heaven forbid you express an opinion on anything.

I really don't think this has to do with anything about 'queen bees' here. I think people have become hypersensitive recently though...

The 'queen bees' you might speak of here, at least the long term members, know when to gush/say something nice, and when to analyze. I think that is the key here...if someone asks for opinions WE GIVE THEM. If someone posts their ring and says 'I LOVE IT ISN'T IT GORGEOUS?!?!' then you either say something nice or nothing at all. But when people ask for opinions normally it has been VERY ok to give honest opinions...lately some people are getting their panties in a twist when they ask for opinions and then get really mad when some people don't like their choice. And they are usually NOT long time members...

I think this is a key comment. I can't tell you how many forums have had this issue - you have the people that have been around for years, and then you have newbies. And sometimes the older people forget that the newbies need reassurance to be a part of a new group, even if it's only online. And if they get pissy even if you go out of your way to be nice, so what? If that's how they are, then they likely won't be around for long anyway.

I totally agree...but the "queen bees" comment implies that it is the problems of longtime members...usually the LT members just politely tell newbies how things work, I don't think it's them "reigning" but I DO think it's somewhat necessary to retain our mostly positive helpful vibe here...I mean we do NOT want to become another nameless wedding related website where everyone is nasty right? I think it's more about keeping the nice atmosphere we have here personally.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 5:39:33 PM
Author: AGBF

Gosh...I must live in an alternate universe. Except on the politics forum I never see anything controversial and I haven't a clue who the 'queen bees' are. In the threads I frequent I find lots of women and a few men who really like nice diamonds, colored gems, and high karat gold jewelry. Usually these people are happy for me if I am able to buy something nice or have something nice made and usually they are happy to share their jewelry with me.

Deb
34.gif
Absolutely ditto here. All this stuff goes way over my head. Maybe it's my age, dunno. I don't frequent the SMTR forum as often as all the others, so I guess I miss stuff. When I go there it's for the pictures! Sometimes I neglect to even comment when I really like something, or if I see a whole bunch of pages already there by the time I first see something.
2.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 5:44:31 PM

I really don''t think this has to do with anything about ''queen bees'' here. I think people have become hypersensitive recently though...

The ''queen bees'' you might speak of here, at least the long term members, know when to gush/say something nice, and when to analyze. I think that is the key here...if someone asks for opinions WE GIVE THEM. If someone posts their ring and says ''I LOVE IT ISN''T IT GORGEOUS?!?!'' then you either say something nice or nothing at all. But when people ask for opinions normally it has been VERY ok to give honest opinions...lately some people are getting their panties in a twist when they ask for opinions and then get really mad when some people don''t like their choice. And they are usually NOT long time members...

I think this is a key comment. I can''t tell you how many forums have had this issue - you have the people that have been around for years, and then you have newbies. And sometimes the older people forget that the newbies need reassurance to be a part of a new group, even if it''s only online. And if they get pissy even if you go out of your way to be nice, so what? If that''s how they are, then they likely won''t be around for long anyway.

I totally agree...but the ''queen bees'' comment implies that it is the problems of longtime members...usually the LT members just politely tell newbies how things work, I don''t think it''s them ''reigning'' but I DO think it''s somewhat necessary to retain our mostly positive helpful vibe here...I mean we do NOT want to become another nameless wedding related website where everyone is nasty right?
I absolutely agree lol. The forum I was on previous to coming her *cough* is INCREDIBLY uptight in a lot of ways about how they treat newbies. I like that people here were nice to me from the beginning, whether I was new or not, and no one has ever belittled any of my thoughts. (More likely just nudging me away from whatever dumb thing I was trying to do...heh.) I have left the "nameless" site as well as that other forum just because of annoying queen bees - I really don''t think we have any of those here.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 5:43:39 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

I just laugh at the comments that if you don''t gush over some cartoonishly large rock and/or Las Vegas style setting, you''re jealous.

My personal taste is that Ellen''s aquamarine ring is jewelry perfection in every way. I do frequent the controversial threads because it''s kind of interesting to watch the tug of war going on. This is a very strange place among internet forums. It seems that you have to be very careful not to step on the toes of the established queen bees here and heaven forbid you express an opinion on anything.
lol3.gif

neenerneenerguy.gif

ha ha ha ha ha, Dancing Fire. You know we all love you. In fact, I love reading your posts. You do make me laugh and you make my day. I bet you are a character to know in person. You really do have a wonderful sense of humor.

Linda

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 3:45:38 PM
Author: ringster
Date: 7/3/2008 2:53:07 PM

Author: gwendolyn

What irks me the most is, like Pandora, when people assume that everyone MUST love the biggest rock, or the blingiest setting, and if they don''t, it must be envy.

this bothers me big time!

ditto, ditto, ditto! This bothers me so much too.

Totally agree with you Pandora.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Who might ''they'' be? To whom do you refer? I might have to take that personally!
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Trillionaire: I love trillions! I will look forward to viewing your finished ring; please share!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 1:25:37 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 7/3/2008 1:15:38 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 7/3/2008 12:59:19 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 7/3/2008 12:34:26 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I do think that people who just post ''WOW!'' a hundred times a day need to reevaluate those wows. I''m pretty easily impressed by size, but I have distinct tastes that not many rings fill. I know I''d rather give an honest opinion over a ''WOW!'' any day. In real life, it''s very hard to get me to say ''WOW!''-there just aren''t that many things out there that do that. :::shrugging emoticon:::
Perhaps this is at the crux of what Pandora was talking about?
Maybe it is, but, I say ''WOW'' a lot in SMTR and I really mean it. I like lots of different styles of rings truly and honestly. I really mean every ''WOW'' I say. I just thought I''d offer a different side of the coin.
9.gif

Now that I am thinking about it. There really has been a lot of hypersensitivity here lately.
Diito!!! I love looking at everyones sparkly diamonds it just makes my day and I mean it with all honesty!
They just don''t come any sweeter or more sincere than Skippy! You make our day!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Purrfectpear: You are the very voice of reason. Again.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 6:38:30 PM
Author: HollyS

Who might ''they'' be? To whom do you refer? I might have to take that personally!
9.gif
For what it''s worth, Holly, I''ve never thought of you as a ''queen bee''
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 6:12:23 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 7/3/2008 5:43:39 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

lol3.gif

neenerneenerguy.gif

ha ha ha ha ha, Dancing Fire. You know we all love you. In fact, I love reading your posts. You do make me laugh and you make my day. I bet you are a character to know in person. You really do have a wonderful sense of humor.

Linda
shhh1.gif
don''t say that. i got many enemies on PS.
fence.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 6:50:58 PM
Author: musey

Date: 7/3/2008 6:38:30 PM
Author: HollyS

I just laugh at the comments that if you don't gush over some cartoonishly large rock and/or Las Vegas style setting, you're jealous.

My personal taste is that Ellen's aquamarine ring is jewelry perfection in every way. I do frequent the controversial threads because it's kind of interesting to watch the tug of war going on. This is a very strange place among internet forums. It seems that you have to be very careful not to step on the toes of the established queen bees here and heaven forbid you express an opinion on anything.
Who might 'they' be? To whom do you refer? I might have to take that personally!
9.gif
For what it's worth, Holly, I've never thought of you as a 'queen bee'
2.gif

Whew! Good!
28.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth, I appreciate brute honesty, although I've never asked for opinions too much. Even when I'm just browsing, I've made a mental note as to who's comments to look for because I find them most constructive, intelligent, and informative.

I guess the issue is that it's disheartening when offer your valuable opinions only to have it thrown back at you by overly sensitive people who take everything personally.
What I'm trying to say is, please don't stop! (not that you were...) There are plenty of people who appreciate your opinions.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am always sincere in what I say about things. If I cannot find anything nice to say in a thread NOT asking for constructive feedback I do not post. There are 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins for a reason. I do not have to want one just like it in order to say something complimentary.
I am not enough of an expert at all to make technical or price comments either but can respond if someone asks an opinion or asks if the prongs look big or the melee crooked. When I reply, I ask myself if my point is being made clearly without resorting to pettiness.

I love many different rings and I love the person''s joy. If someone posts because they are not sure or have concerns, replies can still be cordial.

I am not thin skinned. Tell me you hate my favorite band or movie, that you cannot stand step cuts or would never shop at Tiffany''s and I view it as your right and privilege to state it in a reasonable way. I am VERY secure in MY taste and secure in my comments. Ultimately, if I do not love a gown or floral arrangement so what? If the OP does that is all that matters. I tend to post for sharing purposes and welcome all views. If you hate my new purse I am likely still keeping it, but appreciate the feedback. It would be boring if everyone liked all the same things.

What I CAN''T stand is bitchiness or rudeness. Nor can I ignore people who get personal, judgemental or offensive. I think there is no place for them here. As they most certainly act similarly irl, they come here and let it rip. In ANY threads I post in, I do keep in mind the feelings of others. There are people here who need refresher course in kindness and constructiveness. And I NEVER make assumptions about people I do not know.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
I can''t stand it when people jump at any opportunity to initiate/get involved in some sort of conflict or confrontation - just to get their 2 cents in????!!!! BORING!

Sometimes I think you need to be a little bit clever - read between the lines. More often than not, people are just seeking validation and are needing a few ''WOW''s'' in their life... and to be honest, I''m quite happy to share in peoples excitement, even if the ring isn''t ''exactly'' my taste.

If someone asked me in real life ''What do you think of my ring?" ...and it wasn''t my taste. I''d simply reply (with excitement) ''It looks perfect on you - it''s so your style!". I''m not so full of my own self-importance that I can''t let something slide and be happy for the other party. I certainly wouldn''t see it as an opportunity to reign on her parade with harsh, brutally honest remarks and then justify myself by saying "well she asked for it!". How rude!

It''s always easy to be negative. I always comment TRUTHFULLY - if I don''t like the ring as a whole, I find something that I DO love about it - and I will make my comment specific to that part of the ring/diamond whatever.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that if an opinion is sought, an honest opinion should be given. i also agree that if joy is shared, then congratulations is in order. if i don''t like the ring, then I will not say anything.

I guess the tough ones are "He proposed, I love this ring! What do you think?"

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What really is the point of this?

On a public forum--aka participation not manditory--about diamonds; now, apparently shame in expressing opinions about size/color/clarity/ gemstone preferences?

And SO much so as to make a dogma of it?

WOW. Is right.

Sharon

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock

If you are referring to the long time members as "queen bees", yes there are queen bees. But as far as I know, the queen bees on these forums have been the nicest. They give their honest views and suggestions to those who need an opinion. They have shared with us their bling pictures as well as their difficulties in their everyday life. So far, I think the queen bees also happen to have some of the nicest bling around! Honestly, I have yet to witness any negativity from any queen bees which you seem to imply here.

This forum is very unlike other forums where you cannot even make a comment like it is not worth spending $2500 on costume jewelry without getting any negativity.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:27:48 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

What really is the point of this?

On a public forum--aka participation not manditory--about diamonds; now, apparently shame in expressing opinions about size/color/clarity/ gemstone preferences?

And SO much so as to make a dogma of it?

WOW. Is right.

Sharon
Yup.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Expressing views, debating, weighing in are all things I do or why bother? To me it is the HOW, not the WHAT that matters. The WHY is important to me as well, if I were only commenting to be nasty or hurtful it would be time to log off for a while.Thankfully that is not my nature for the most part.
Yes this IS a place to be of our own free will but certain conventions still apply. I think about how I would want someone to communicate differing views to me. That guides me for the most part. When I am having trouble with it I don''t dive in.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 5:47:25 PM

Date: 7/3/2008 5:44:31 PM

I really don''t think this has to do with anything about ''queen bees'' here. I think people have become hypersensitive recently though...

The ''queen bees'' you might speak of here, at least the long term members, know when to gush/say something nice, and when to analyze. I think that is the key here...if someone asks for opinions WE GIVE THEM. If someone posts their ring and says ''I LOVE IT ISN''T IT GORGEOUS?!?!'' then you either say something nice or nothing at all. But when people ask for opinions normally it has been VERY ok to give honest opinions...lately some people are getting their panties in a twist when they ask for opinions and then get really mad when some people don''t like their choice. And they are usually NOT long time members...

I think this is a key comment. I can''t tell you how many forums have had this issue - you have the people that have been around for years, and then you have newbies. And sometimes the older people forget that the newbies need reassurance to be a part of a new group, even if it''s only online. And if they get pissy even if you go out of your way to be nice, so what? If that''s how they are, then they likely won''t be around for long anyway.

I totally agree...but the ''queen bees'' comment implies that it is the problems of longtime members...usually the LT members just politely tell newbies how things work, I don''t think it''s them ''reigning'' but I DO think it''s somewhat necessary to retain our mostly positive helpful vibe here...I mean we do NOT want to become another nameless wedding related website where everyone is nasty right?
I absolutely agree lol. The forum I was on previous to coming her *cough* is INCREDIBLY uptight in a lot of ways about how they treat newbies. I like that people here were nice to me from the beginning, whether I was new or not, and no one has ever belittled any of my thoughts. (More likely just nudging me away from whatever dumb thing I was trying to do...heh.) I have left the ''nameless'' site as well as that other forum just because of annoying queen bees - I really don''t think we have any of those here.
MP
stick around....you might the list
huggies.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow lots of ground covered in this thread..
Some comments:
1: first a confession: I have posted some things in my 16000+ posts that im not proud of so been there done that.
2: how you say it reflects far more than what you say.
3: careful reading of what is asked and how it is asked avoids a lot of issues but everyone will make a mistake from time to time.
4: apoligise for those mistakes and cut people slack for their mistakes.
5: "queen bees" was a huge issue for a while a long time ago but it is much better now.
6: relax and have fun
7: want people to like you? need validation? Then helping and supporting people is the fastest way to get it here. Frankly nothing else matters to most of the people here. No one is that impressed by how much money you have to spend, your zip code or how big your house is or even how big your diamond is.
There is always someone around here with more.
If you want to impress people here be nice and help and support people.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 2:27:50 AM
Author: strmrdr
Wow lots of ground covered in this thread..

Some comments:
1: first a confession: I have posted some things in my 16000+ posts that im not proud of so been there done that.
2: how you say it reflects far more than what you say.
3: careful reading of what is asked and how it is asked avoids a lot of issues but everyone will make a mistake from time to time.
4: apoligise for those mistakes and cut people slack for their mistakes.
5: ''queen bees'' was a huge issue for a while a long time ago but it is much better now.
6: relax and have fun
7: want people to like you? need validation? Then helping and supporting people is the fastest way to get it here. Frankly nothing else matters to most of the people here. No one is that impressed by how much money you have to spend, your zip code or how big your house is or even how big your diamond is.
There is always someone around here with more.
If you want to impress people here be nice and help and support people.
taverymuch.gif
Nicely put and great summation!
likeit.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY well said, strm! I agree with each and every one of your points, and very much appreciate the succinct way in which you put each one. Thank you for that!

36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 7:46:43 PM
Author: diamondfan
I am always sincere in what I say about things. If I cannot find anything nice to say in a thread NOT asking for constructive feedback I do not post. There are 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins for a reason. I do not have to want one just like it in order to say something complimentary.
I am not enough of an expert at all to make technical or price comments either but can respond if someone asks an opinion or asks if the prongs look big or the melee crooked. When I reply, I ask myself if my point is being made clearly without resorting to pettiness.

I love many different rings and I love the person's joy. If someone posts because they are not sure or have concerns, replies can still be cordial.

I am not thin skinned. Tell me you hate my favorite band or movie, that you cannot stand step cuts or would never shop at Tiffany's and I view it as your right and privilege to state it in a reasonable way. I am VERY secure in MY taste and secure in my comments. Ultimately, if I do not love a gown or floral arrangement so what? If the OP does that is all that matters. I tend to post for sharing purposes and welcome all views. If you hate my new purse I am likely still keeping it, but appreciate the feedback. It would be boring if everyone liked all the same things.

What I CAN'T stand is bitchiness or rudeness. Nor can I ignore people who get personal, judgemental or offensive. I think there is no place for them here. As they most certainly act similarly irl, they come here and let it rip. In ANY threads I post in, I do keep in mind the feelings of others. There are people here who need refresher course in kindness and constructiveness.
Ditto All-- at least this is what I strive for... I may not acheive it but I do try. I am prone to crankiness, admittedly, but I try to stay off the boards or convertersial posts when I KNOW that I am feeling cranky, and I don't always suceed (and always feel bad when I don't)-- but it really gets me when people don't even try to reign in the meanness. There are MANY 'smaller' rings, colored rings, unusual rings that I love on here and as DF said... 31 flavors. I really can't stand it when people are mean about someone's personal tastes.

One thing about the comment that someone made about the wow's being bigger the larger the stones get:

WOW is not always a positive GUSHING compliment.

Sometimes it's the ONLY comment you can make. Just WOW. I'm not implying anything about anyone who says WOW... but if you read the gushing threads carefully... there are always people who say "WOW I LOVE IT" and then there are folks who say "WOW THAT'S HUGE"... To me... Wow that's huge-- is a statement of fact. Not always gushing and not to be assumed that it is an endorsement-- it could very well be an endorsement, but it MAY not be. Sometimes... ya gotta read between the lines. Even the size mongers on here (which admittedly I have been joining the ranks of the longer I am on here) don't think bigger is always better. Sometimes big is just and only that. Big.

THANK YOU STORM... you said what I was rambling to say above (not the part about the WOW posts, the other part) much better than I could. Ditto.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
From the start of joining here I got honest responses to all my questions in RT, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It was a great way to learn, and I really wouldn't want people to sugar coat their answers as it could've lead me to waste alot of money!
When it comes to SMTR, I will comment when I feel compelled to do so - when I really do like something. Then I will usually offer my compliments and often ask questions. If something isn't my taste, why would I say so? I just move on, or offer a congrats on the engagement.
I agree 100% with the posters who have asserted those who ask for opinions need to be open to getting honest
ones, no matter the which forum it is. Over sensitivity really turns me off.
But I Do Not agree that you need to be so honest that you end up being rude. For me, when trolls or serially impolite people move through PS it irks me, as I really appreciate the maturity and general good manners of the members here.

phew, that was long, sorry!
40.gif
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh, please Lord, don't let PS turn into yet another haven for pointless, empty, affirmation. Real opinions and real engagement are good things!

If someone asks for an opinion, as in "what do you think of this ring?" "do you like it?" etc., they should expect opinions. If they say "Look at my ring! I'm so happy with it!" then that's a different story.

When DH bought my e-ring, but we weren't 100% sure (and it was 100% returnable) I posted it on here and asked for opinions. I got several pages of them, and they were seriously divided, with the balance on the 'not my style' side. The points that people raised, both negative and positive, helped me really figure out whether I loved the ring or not... I did and kept it. And I love it more every day.

The point is that criticism, whether of oneself or one's ring, if it's not mean, is HELPFUL. It helps us get clear about things and helps us make good decisions.

As long as it's constructive criticism, and not rude, that is.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Regarding larger stones, I''m with ya that it''s not everyones preference and therefore not jealousy.

When it comes to "what do you think of my ring" though, I think sometimes not saying anything (if you don''t like it) says it all. No need to be mean spirited about it.

In fact, the only time i''ll post pictures of my rings is when i''m trying to show what it looks like on a size 7 finger or if someone asks. I still haven''t posted my e-ring on SMTR because I''m kinda lazy to get the shots I want and I don''t really need the validation for it. If someone asks because they''re considering the same ring or style, I will though.

Some of the "queen bees" on here are the nicest and most helpful from what I''ve seen. Some, are pretty blunt and if you''re a newbie, I can see how it might come off rude. As far as gushing over rings I don''t see anything wrong with that. Who really cares? If that''s what they''re looking for from an online forum and it''s not hurting anyone i don''t see the big deal.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 11:46:02 AM
Author: Catmom

Date: 7/3/2008 11:31:40 AM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 7/3/2008 11:23:54 AM
Author: IronMikey
I don''t get what that all has to do with making assumptions...

Some of the negative comments I''ve seen recently are regarding threads where people post a ring and ask opinions on it. What''s wrong with that? Maybe they need a general idea of what people think of it b/f buying something similar.

Are you unhappy that some rings get more responses than others? I don''t really get your point.
I don''t care how many responses rings do or don''t get.

What annoys me is when people assume that no-one could possibly just plain not like something. Instead they are accused of being jealous/envious etc.

It also seems to be becoming more and more the case here that even when you are asked for opinions, only positive ones are acceptable and anyone who makes a negative comment is jumped on.

I totally agree with you that people should give honest reponses when opinions are sought.
I basically agree with you Pandora and I will usually state when it is not my style or say nothing at all but there seems to be quite a few posts lately where the ring in question is not the Op''s ring or even a vendor''s ring. I think it is quite rude to post someone else''s ring and then ask opinions of it, especially when they are PS members.
That''s happened? I''m way out of the loop...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results