shape
carat
color
clarity

Will people stop making assumptions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
First of all - this has no reference to anybody in particular's ring, but is prompted by certain recent posts both in SMTR and Rocky Talk.

It makes me very angry to see the sweeping generalisations that are thrown around and I'm sure others are irritated by it as well.

There are many rings I love on PS and equally many that are not my taste and others where I think OMG what the heck were they thinking. Some of those are small rings, and some of those are very large rings. Some of those get very few comments and some get pages of 'OMG I love it' posts.

Just because a ring is large/expensive doesn't mean that I am jealous/envious or any other emotion. I just don't like it fullstop. If the owner loves it then that is ALL that matters.

Take a look at 'The Good, the Bad, the Ugly - post Ugly here'. The fact that some of those horrors are even in existence is because someone, somewhere actually likes them - otherwise there would be no market and they wouldn't be produced. Does the fact that we don't like them mean that we are all jealous? I think not.

In the same way that I have no feelings of envy or jealousy towards someone's Ferrari or convertible, I have no feelings of envy or jealousy towards someone's 5ct diamond or a particular setting.

I don't doubt that my e-ring isn't everyone's taste, but I wouldn't assume that they were jealous/envious or anything of the sort if they were to say it wasn't. I also don't actually care, I was offered the choice of any ring that I liked, and went for what would make me smile everytime I look at my hand.

So please could people stop all the ridiculous statements. Believe it or not, some people REALLY DO like their pieces of carbon in smaller packages!

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
I don''t get what that all has to do with making assumptions...

Some of the negative comments I''ve seen recently are regarding threads where people post a ring and ask opinions on it. What''s wrong with that? Maybe they need a general idea of what people think of it b/f buying something similar.

Are you unhappy that some rings get more responses than others? I don''t really get your point.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 11:23:54 AM
Author: IronMikey

Some of the negative comments I''ve seen recently are regarding threads where people post a ring and ask opinions on it. What''s wrong with that? Maybe they need a general idea of what people think of it b/f buying something similar.

Are you unhappy that some rings get more responses than others? I don''t really get your point.
I don''t care how many responses rings do or don''t get.

What annoys me is when people assume that no-one could possibly just plain not like something. Instead they are accused of being jealous/envious etc.

It also seems to be becoming more and more the case here that even when you are asked for opinions, only positive ones are acceptable and anyone who makes a negative comment is jumped on.

I totally agree with you that people should give honest reponses when opinions are sought.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Oh OK -- I actually totally agree with you.

I''ve made a few non-positive comments (not even negative really) and people have jumped on me. I think it''s pathetic. What''s the point of this if you can''t be honest. It kind of just becomes a self help group. If you can''t take a total stranger making a non-positive comment about a material item you own then you''re wrapped way too tight for life.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 11:31:40 AM
Author: Pandora II

I don't get what that all has to do with making assumptions...

Some of the negative comments I've seen recently are regarding threads where people post a ring and ask opinions on it. What's wrong with that? Maybe they need a general idea of what people think of it b/f buying something similar.

Are you unhappy that some rings get more responses than others? I don't really get your point.
I don't care how many responses rings do or don't get.

What annoys me is when people assume that no-one could possibly just plain not like something. Instead they are accused of being jealous/envious etc.

It also seems to be becoming more and more the case here that even when you are asked for opinions, only positive ones are acceptable and anyone who makes a negative comment is jumped on.

I totally agree with you that people should give honest reponses when opinions are sought.
I basically agree with you Pandora and I will usually state when it is not my style or say nothing at all but there seems to be quite a few posts lately where the ring in question is not the Op's ring or even a vendor's ring. I think it is quite rude to post someone else's ring and then ask opinions of it, especially when they are PS members.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 11:38:20 AM
Oh OK -- I actually totally agree with you.

I''ve made a few non-positive comments (not even negative really) and people have jumped on me. I think it''s pathetic. What''s the point of this if you can''t be honest. It kind of just becomes a self help group. If you can''t take a total stranger making a non-positive comment about a material item you own then you''re wrapped way too tight for life.

I’m sorry but I disagree.

If someone posts that they are looking for an opinion on a ring that they are considering purchasing, then yes by all means give an honest opinion.

But if someone posts a ring that was given to them that they are in love with, then it is no one’s right to post something negative about it. You either say that you love it, it looks beautiful on them, or don’t say anything at all.

I can understand and appreciate everyone’s right and desire to be honest but not when it rains on someone’s parade. There is absolutely no need for that, even if they ask for opinions. There is such a thing as being compassionate. Anyone who posts any slight bit of negativity towards a ring that has already been purchased and given to the lovely bride deserves to get jumped on. In those instances, I can completely see why someone would say “you are just jealous.” Even if it isn’t true, I think that is a way to understand why someone would be brutally honest about something someone loves.

I hate to sound like a total cheeseball…but as the saying goes, if you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all.

And I want to reiterate that if the person is asking for opinions on a ring they have not purchased then I would be honest. But for rings that I particularly do not like, I just won’t comment or I’ll say “congratulations” and move on. That person does not need to hear me say “it’s not my style” or “I wouldn’t have gone with the pave/halo/baguettes/whatever” It’s not necessary.

Don’t take for granted what a bunch of comments from strangers can really do to a person’s ego. Everyone loves to say “its just the internet” but its still a person on the other side of the screen dissing something that you love.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 11:46:02 AM
Author: Catmom
Date: 7/3/2008 11:31:40 AM

Author: Pandora II

I don''t care how many responses rings do or don''t get.

I basically agree with you Pandora and I will usually state when it is not my style or say nothing at all but there seems to be quite a few posts lately where the ring in question is not the Op''s ring or even a vendor''s ring. I think it is quite rude to post someone else''s ring and then ask opinions of it, especially when they are PS members.

I see your point but they may need an opinion b/c they''re thinking about doing something similar. This forum has a lot of ring pictures in real life situations and it''s tough to get ideas from other places. I certainly see how that could bother people though.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If all, you want is a love fest, the post an 'Admire my Ring' thread and DON'T ASK FOR OPINIONS.

I would never post anything other than a positive comment in one of the former threads - as I agree don't say anything if you have nothing nice to say - BUT if someone asks for opinions I will give mine as they obviously want honest - not just a load of 'the important thing is that you love it' comments. Which frankly are just as bad as it basically says 'I don't care for it, but if you like it then it will do.'

Granted some people may just want validation, but how are we supposed to tell the difference???

If they love it then why would they ask for opinions after it's been bought?

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
And I want to reiterate that if the person is asking for opinions on a ring they have not purchased then I would be honest. But for rings that I particularly do not like, I just won’t comment or I’ll say “congratulations” and move on. That person does not need to hear me say “it’s not my style” or “I wouldn’t have gone with the pave/halo/baguettes/whatever” It’s not necessary.

Don’t take for granted what a bunch of comments from strangers can really do to a person’s ego. Everyone loves to say “its just the internet” but its still a person on the other side of the screen dissing something that you love.

But you''re doing a complete disservice to the person seeking an opinion. If I said, "what do you think of X" and 25% of people HATE X but don''t comment on it or say "congrats" how has that helped me?

I don''t know -- it just seems like this forum serves no purpose if you can''t get an honest opinion about things. Whether it''s a ring design or a particular seller or whatever. The good and the bad should be freely advanced by the people on here.

And this IS just the internet and these people (to me) are total strangers. If I bought something I liked I wouldn''t care about what some screenname ha to say about it. Nobody else should either.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:07:28 PM

But you''re doing a complete disservice to the person seeking an opinion. If I said, ''what do you think of X'' and 25% of people HATE X but don''t comment on it or say ''congrats'' how has that helped me?

I don''t know -- it just seems like this forum serves no purpose if you can''t get an honest opinion about things. Whether it''s a ring design or a particular seller or whatever. The good and the bad should be freely advanced by the people on here.

36.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:07:28 PM

But you''re doing a complete disservice to the person seeking an opinion. If I said, ''what do you think of X'' and 25% of people HATE X but don''t comment on it or say ''congrats'' how has that helped me?

And this IS just the internet and these people (to me) are total strangers. If I bought something I liked I wouldn''t care about what some screenname ha to say about it. Nobody else should either.
Let''s be honest here.

Who, after getting an engagement ring, would come on here to ask for opinions on whether this ring looks good or not?? Most of the posts on here is "come look at my engagement ring" NOT "come tell me what you think of my ring."

For those few that do post "come tell me about my ring" then yes, you should be honest but you should also practice courtesy. You don''t do that to someone that is in love with their ring and wants to show it off. That is why I said in my original post that if someone wants an opinion, you give it otherwise you stay shut if you don''t like it.

The posts that I have seen on here where someone would throw in their "that''s not my style" or "I don''t particularly like it but hurrah for you" are 9 out of 10 times posts about the ring they own and love. Totally not necessary.

I wouldn''t go to my neighbor after her engagement announcement and say "heh, the style is not something I would choose but congrats anyway" so I certainly wouldn''t say it here either even if it is just the internet. Being behind a monitor doesn''t give me power to be someone I''m not. That''s just my honest opinion.
35.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I can totally understand what both pandora and ironmikey are saying. I also see the point of what fiery is saying but then I have to think about what ironmikey said - if someone asks for opinions on a ring, why should people lie? They asked, right? I have to say I do think it's weird when someone already has a ring and they ask "what do you guys think?" I mean, it's already your ring, so why ask strangers what we think? Unless the person is having doubts about their ring, in which case they should clearly state that up front so people can comment in context.

I think there are always going to be people that say "OMG, gorgeous!" for every ring posted. But I do think it's not a crime to be honest if someone's *asking* for opinions.

As for the "jealous" comments, yes, it seems silly. There are actually lots of people who would always take a better quality stone over a bigger stone. In fact last year there was a thread or a poll about antique stones and if all things were equal, would you take a D over a J or lower and most people said they'd take the D hands down if all aspects were equal. Most women in real life also never upgrade their erings. PS is a unique microcosm of erings and jewelry. IRL, most people aren't obsessing over DSS or upgrades or ow their ring compares to their co-worker/relatives/friends, or whatever. This place should come with a warning from the Surgeon General!
27.gif

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Re: firred

Well if that's the point of the forum then PS should just auto reply with 20 of these
26.gif

I'm not for tearing a ring apart after it's purchased but if someone has any bit of doubt expressed in their post then why not be 100% honest. Maybe the poster is considering returning the ring and going a different direction.

If the post says "he proposed!" then yes...no point in being negative. If it says anything less than that, I feel like you may as well be honest.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:20:13 PM
Author: surfgirl
I can totally understand what both pandora and ironmikey are saying. I also see the point of what fiery is saying but then I have to think about what ironmikey said - if someone asks for opinions on a ring, why should people lie? They asked, right? I have to say I do think it''s weird when someone already has a ring and they ask ''what do you guys think?'' I mean, it''s already your ring, so why ask strangers what we think? Unless the person is having doubts about their ring, in which case they should clearly state that up front so people can comment in context.

I think there are always going to be people that say ''OMG, gorgeous!'' for every ring posted. But I do think it''s not a crime to be honest if someone''s asking for opinions.

I''ve seen people get on your case from time-to-time and each time I''ve thought it was a bit ridiculous of them.

I just think the people who are honest serve a much greater purpose than the people who rack up 50 posts a day of "WOW
36.gif
"

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a long-time lurker who just recently figured out how to post while surfing on my blackberry. I love looking at the photos of each persons jewelry, and get a kick out of the responses. The bigger the diamond, the "louder" the WOW''s. I think the discreet sizes deserve just as much attention.

I work in a pharmacy as a technician and pay attention to the customers jewelry. Most of them have maul store stuff, or cz, which is usually piled on 3 or 4 fingers per hand, but once in a while I will see something big and of good quality. I like to look at it and wish I could just stand there and stare. But I have to tell you that MY taste veers towards the discreet sizes of exceptional quality. Those customers are quite rare. The other night a doctors wife came in and she wore a halo''ed engagement ring on one hand, the center stone probably 0.75 to 1 carat and was set low, and wore her pave eternity ring on the other (just one ring per hand). Her diamond studs were probably 1 carat total weight and her diamond Longines watch was paired with a semi-bezel set diamond line bracelet of approximately 2 to 2.5 carats. Her jewelry was all platinum or white gold, with the watch probably in steel, and looked exquisite. Her taste really set off the WOW factor for me.

Everyone has different taste, and also I think financial means is a big factor as well. To the people who have monetary wealth, they might like the bigger stones or just not have the self-control to tone it down. I know that as much as I love diamonds, if I had the money I would probably have some big old honkers as well. However, it''s in my favor that my financial situation limits me to jewelry in the sizes of that doctors wife I wrote about. Other people who desire bigger sizes but can''t afford it end up buying lower quality jewelry, sacrificing quality for size. But if that is what they choose, then they are the ones that have to wear it and love it. Its not up to me to decide what another will have pleasure in wearing. In any case, I''d like to see people not just gush over the big or branded stuff.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can totally understand what both pandora and ironmikey are saying. I also see the point of what fiery is saying but then I have to think about what ironmikey said - if someone asks for opinions on a ring, why should people lie? They asked, right? I have to say I do think it''s weird when someone already has a ring and they ask ''what do you guys think?'' I mean, it''s already your ring, so why ask strangers what we think? Unless the person is having doubts about their ring, in which case they should clearly state that up front so people can comment in context.

I think there are always going to be people that say ''OMG, gorgeous!'' for every ring posted. But I do think it''s not a crime to be honest if someone''s asking for opinions.
Totally agree.

I keep thinking of a certain thread that was up a while back that garnered a lot of negative activity-because the OP asked for opinions on a certain aspect of her ring, but in the end didn''t want those honest opinions...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:21:56 PM
Well if that''s the point of the forum then PS should just auto reply with 20 of these
26.gif

I''m not for tearing a ring apart after it''s purchased but if someone has any bit of doubt expressed in their post then why not be 100% honest. Maybe the poster is considering returning the ring and going a different direction.

If the post says ''he proposed!'' then yes...no point in being negative. If it says anything less than that, I feel like you may as well be honest.
I think we are saying the same thing...just different ways.

I agree, if someone asks for an opinion then yes be honest. If someone says "this is the ring I have but not sure about the setting and considering changing" then yes be honest. That I agree with 100%.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:26:07 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Totally agree.

I keep thinking of a certain thread that was up a while back that garnered a lot of negative activity-because the OP asked for opinions on a certain aspect of her ring, but in the end didn''t want those honest opinions...

Was it about a ring being too big (2ct + halo)? I remember that too. It was really odd the way that played out

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:26:19 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Date: 7/3/2008 12:21:56 PM

Well if that''s the point of the forum then PS should just auto reply with 20 of these
26.gif

I''m not for tearing a ring apart after it''s purchased but if someone has any bit of doubt expressed in their post then why not be 100% honest. Maybe the poster is considering returning the ring and going a different direction.

If the post says ''he proposed!'' then yes...no point in being negative. If it says anything less than that, I feel like you may as well be honest.

I think we are saying the same thing...just different ways.

I agree, if someone asks for an opinion then yes be honest. If someone says ''this is the ring I have but not sure about the setting and considering changing'' then yes be honest. That I agree with 100%.

Yeah pretty much. Honesty is the best policy unless you''re just going to be dragging someone down for no real reason. That''s just not cool...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:24:13 PM
Author: RxTechRN2b
I think the discreet sizes deserve just as much attention.
In any case, I''d like to see people not just gush over the big or branded stuff.
Hey lady, long time no see! I totally agree. There is a great thread for under 1ct. rings on SMTR and I remember a few ladies last year posting their rings saying that they knew they were small by PS standards (though the norm appears to be around 1ct.) and sort of not highlighting how amazing their stones were. I always pop into those threads to compliment a wonderful stone, I dont care what the size. I give tremendous kudos to ladies who go for the smaller, better quality stone.

meresal

Ideal_Rock

Surfgirl... we all know this is how you feel
2.gif
. I love your honest opinions.

People, don''t ask for opinions unless you are willing to deal with both sides of the spectrum. Post an "I love my ring" thread and be done. This board is not a group of enablers, which I appreciate. When someone is actually looking for help, it is a great place to get actual unbiased opinions. If anyone has time to, or already does, frequent the LIW/BIW thread, run through there and pick out a few that are over 6 or 7 pages and I''ll bet that 2/3 out of 5 are because someone gave an honest opinion (which was asked for), to an OP that was actually just looking for people to tell them how right they are. People are going to be honest and that is the way it should be... the only lies you learn from, in the end, are you own.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:24:09 PM
I just think the people who are honest serve a much greater purpose than the people who rack up 50 posts a day of ''WOW
36.gif
''
Well said! I''m usually on the coloured stones forum where people post gems that they are considering. If it''s not a done deal, I pipe up with whatever I know. Otherwise, I shut up or offer a tempered "congratulations."

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:27:47 PM
I can totally understand what both pandora and ironmikey are saying. I also see the point of what fiery is saying but then I have to think about what ironmikey said - if someone asks for opinions on a ring, why should people lie? They asked, right? I have to say I do think it's weird when someone already has a ring and they ask 'what do you guys think?' I mean, it's already your ring, so why ask strangers what we think? Unless the person is having doubts about their ring, in which case they should clearly state that up front so people can comment in context.

I think there are always going to be people that say 'OMG, gorgeous!' for every ring posted. But I do think it's not a crime to be honest if someone's asking for opinions.
Totally agree.

I keep thinking of a certain thread that was up a while back that garnered a lot of negative activity-because the OP asked for opinions on a certain aspect of her ring, but in the end didn't want those honest opinions...
Was it about a ring being too big (2ct + halo)? I remember that too. It was really odd the way that played out
Mmmmmhmmmm...
I just remember thinking, "Well, you ASKED."

People are honest here. It's one of the things I value. And I think that most people exercise a lot of tact when it comes to commenting on stuff. But I do think that people who just post "WOW!" a hundred times a day need to reevaluate those wows. I'm pretty easily impressed by size, but I have distinct tastes that not many rings fill. I know I'd rather give an honest opinion over a "WOW!" any day. In real life, it's very hard to get me to say "WOW!"-there just aren't that many things out there that do that. :::shrugging emoticon:::

But at the same time, if I post something that I love, I probably won't ask for opinions on it, unless it's something technical, because, frankly, I don't care what other people think.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:34:26 PM
Date: 7/3/2008 12:27:47 PM

Totally agree.

Mmmmmhmmmm...

I just remember thinking, ''Well, you ASKED.''

People are honest here. It''s one of the things I value. And I think that most people exercise a lot of tact when it comes to commenting on stuff. But I do think that people who just post ''WOW!'' a hundred times a day need to reevaluate those wows. I''m pretty easily impressed by size, but I have distinct tastes that not many rings fill. I know I''d rather give an honest opinion over a ''WOW!'' any day. In real life, it''s very hard to get me to say ''WOW!''-there just aren''t that many things out there that do that. :::shrugging emoticon:::

But at the same time, if I post something that I love, I probably won''t ask for opinions on it, unless it''s something technical, because, frankly, I don''t care what other people think.

Since I am rather certain that this is directed to me and my ring, I feel the need to jump in.
I did ask if my ring looked to big on my finger, but I didn''t ask if it looked like a cocktail ring.

I have since apologized and moved on. I don''t know why you brought it back up.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I totally get what you all are saying, but, you have to admit that some people are flat RUDE when offering their opinions. It''s one thing to kindly offer your opinion. It''s quite another to attack someone. That''s when ''opinions'' bother me. I think some folks use the internet to bully. There are always a few (here or on other forums) that are just plain mean. Making someone feel bad about something they are HAPPY about is never good form IMO.
38.gif
Can it really be that hard to say something nice when you can see that the poster is truly excited? OTOH, if someone is truly asking for advice they better be ready to deal with it when it comes in.

I haven''t noticed any of the jealousy issue so I can''t comment there.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
[/quote]

Since I am rather certain that this is directed to me and my ring, I feel the need to jump in.

I did ask if my ring looked to big on my finger, but I didn''t ask if it looked like a cocktail ring.

I have since apologized and moved on. I don''t know why you brought it back up.

[/quote]

It was just a recent example of what this thread is about. Nothing wrong with citing an example when you take a certain position. Nobody is trying to relive that argument...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
To be brutally frank, I think sometimes blunt honesty is needed - if you''re like me, and you just WANTWANTWANT and keep posting dumb things, then by all means, tell me what a doofus I am being. (Hey, I can admit it!
20.gif
) But if someone already bought something, then if you have a comment, please just be considerate. I think the people that say "WOW" on everything have their own worth - they certainly make ME feel good about my choices, lol.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:34:26 PM
I do think that people who just post 'WOW!' a hundred times a day need to reevaluate those wows. I'm pretty easily impressed by size, but I have distinct tastes that not many rings fill. I know I'd rather give an honest opinion over a 'WOW!' any day. In real life, it's very hard to get me to say 'WOW!'-there just aren't that many things out there that do that. :::shrugging emoticon:::
Perhaps this is at the crux of what Pandora was talking about?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Super mean comments or SNIDE comments can lead to a feeling of "they're jealous" but, honestly, those are so few and far between on here. Usually the result of TROLLS passing on through. Or people who don't get "get" the meaning of the Show Me The Ring area.

What's been bugging me lately is how awful I feel when I see something that someone obviously LOVES now -- but I just *know* is going to be back on here in three months saying 'OMG .. turns out my stone is ____'(clarity enhanced, badly cut, loose cert, wonky, dead etc). You can't say anything. But you just dread the eventual day of discovery. As Pscope is so addictive ... and people don't leave well enough alone.
23.gif
They love their stone so much they want "proof" of how fab it is or what a great deal they got and then WHAMMO. Facts. Facts that change their opinion and break their heart. AIIGGGHHHHH. Its like a car wreck you can't turn away from but is stomach-turning for anyone empathetic.
7.gif

apple d

Rough_Rock
Pandora,

Well said!
29.gif
I nearly got my head handed to me whern I posted on a certain ''Cocktail'' style ring. It''s soooo easy to accept positive comments, but negative ones are seen as hating and I find that to be just ridiculous.

As for those of you who say that we should not negatively criticize someone''s ring b/c it was given to them under very loving circumstances, I will say this - I don''t have to love you! And I don''t have to love your ring! But if you ask...well, then these truths you will know.
25.gif

- Apple

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results