shape
carat
color
clarity

Who is the go-to for refined, clean bezel settings?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been lurking PS for 9 months now since before I was officially "waiting" and now the time has come for a ring. The problem is I am not seeing anything I want in stock settings, so I anticipate having to go custom.

I think everyon's rings are so beautiful and I want my ring to reflect the same qualities I see in them, an emphasis on detail and finishing. I know I like bezels and old mine cut diamonds. I love Penelope Cuz's sapphire engagement ring with the OMC bezeled halo.

I am very picky about bezels and don't like 90% of the ones I see in stores. They are either lumpy or gapped, crooked, or way too bulky. But then delicate well done polished bezels look amazing.

I fell in love with Julia Kay Taylor, but her site and Etsy store haven't been active in a year (why?). Leon Mege makes gorgeous rings but seems to specialize in delicate prongs and melee. I thought perhaps Daniel M but it doesn't seem as though many use him for engagement rings mostly stackers and silver jewelry? I'm looking for platinum.

I turn to you! Where is my bezel ring waiting?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, her stuff is so pretty but she seems to have disappeared from the jewelry bench? I like Heart of Water designs as well but then keep feeling panicky over sending my spinel to Thailand.

Not that I am limiting myself to Etsy,I just happened to see many beautiful bezels via Etsy artists.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ive heard VC has done a really pretty bezel for someone recently, but I dont believe the PS'er who got the ring ever posted the ring, she was just saying it was really well made

or of course i think ERD can do a beautiful one
uploadfromtaptalk1368154317955.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive me... Is VC Van Craeynest? :oops:

That is beautiful! ERD... Engagement Rings Direct?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emproctor2986|1370829938|3462432 said:
Forgive me... Is VC Van Craeynest? :oops:

That is beautiful! ERD... Engagement Rings Direct?

oh sorry! :oops:

VC can mean either but i meant Victor Canera. I cant find a thread about it, but heres a video. I'd assume you wouldnt have yours this modern, but shows how tight that bezel is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGn77xVYro

And then yeah engagement rings direct made that ring i posted. hers the thread for it, and a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gvik2dibtg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7c-cushion-in-rose-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7c-cushion-in-rose-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/[/URL]

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That rose gold ring is incredible. Like a flower's petals!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin's bezels are delicious. :)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the idea for the bezel and OMC halo, is it difficult to find a bench who can source those diamonds? Would I need to buy them individually myself? That could prove tricky.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/engage_rings.htm

Have you checked out James Meyer? His rings are so pretty and unique. :love: Plus when you email him, he get's back to you quickly and is so nice. He is one of those people you wish you where friends with.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never looked at JM but those bezels look great :love:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
James Meyer will make the whole ring for you but will not set outside diamonds (unfortunately). I think his bezels are fantastic. Daniel M is decent but I would not say that the bezels are refined enough for engagement rings.

I would consider ERD as well as possibly BGD (I would research the bezels they make to be sure). I'm sure Victor Canera makes a beautiful one and you can count on Singlestone for a gorgeous one (though on the pricey side).

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
I second James Meyer. I don't know about the quality of the stones he picks since I was lucky to have him set my BG stone but it looks like he tends toward antique stones with a lot of character. As an artist, I have a hard time seeing him picking a dud stone. His eye is so good... I'd trust him with just about anything. And his bezels are so finely crafted.

My next choice would be Brian Gavin. I'm impressed by the workmanship of everything that comes out of his shop. He was my alternate choice for my ering.

If you like modern, I Sholdt has some beautiful full bezels as well. :)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I very much wish I could send James Meyer an inquiry butI have my heart set on the stone already in my posession. If he won't set it I will have to go elsewhere :blackeye:

I will check out Brian Gavin!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have an OMC, correct? Bezelling a precision-cut stone and bezelling an imperfect antique may be different skillsets IMO, depending on vendor and method of manufacture.

BGD, WF, etc. specialize in modern stones and so strictly CAD/CAM work. BGD bezelled a pair of antique cushions for me a couple of years ago and they did a great job at a great pricepoint, but for an engagement ring featuring an antique stone I would want a bench with more experience using settings to balance and 'symmetricize' wonky outlines and address potential girdle issues - unevenness, chips, nicks, etc. DanielM recently bezelled a rose cut pear for me and again, they did a fantastic job at a comfortable pricepoint - to me they represent excellent value for money but I don't think they're the right choice for someone who's looking for absolutely pristine workmanship and finish. Of course, you can expect to *pay* a lot more for absolutely pristine workmanship and finish!

SS, 23rd, JbEG, ERD, OWD, JM/Caleb Meyer/Ann McKay, LM/SK/VC, Green Lake, love the idea of Sholdt for a more modern look...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1370873832|3462614 said:
You have an OMC, correct? Bezelling a precision-cut stone and bezelling an imperfect antique may be different skillsets IMO, depending on vendor and method of manufacture.

BGD, WF, etc. specialize in modern stones and so strictly CAD/CAM work. BGD bezelled a pair of antique cushions for me a couple of years ago and they did a great job at a great pricepoint, but for an engagement ring featuring an antique stone I would want a bench with more experience using settings to balance and 'symmetricize' wonky outlines and address potential girdle issues - unevenness, chips, nicks, etc. DanielM recently bezelled a rose cut pear for me and again, they did a fantastic job at a comfortable pricepoint - to me they represent excellent value for money but I don't think they're the right choice for someone who's looking for absolutely pristine workmanship and finish. Of course, you can expect to *pay* a lot more for absolutely pristine workmanship and finish!

SS, 23rd, JbEG, ERD, OWD, JM/Caleb Meyer/Ann McKay, LM/SK/VC, Green Lake, love the idea of Sholdt for a more modern look...

No, I have a round precision cut spinel. I want an OMC bezeled halo similar to the one Penelope Cruz wore when she got engaged to Javier Bardem. I sent a quote request to SingleStone as well. Fantastic suggestions!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS has a bezel setting with french cut side stones but I am sure it's out of my price range. I would really like to keep it under 6K.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1370830797|3462445 said:
Brian Gavin's bezels are delicious. :)

Wait! You have to know that Brian Gavin's bezels are perfect but so, so thin that you can barely see them.

I've got quite a lot of bezel jewellery :lol: When I complained about BGD's bezels, they told me that most people like the bezel very thin as it makes it look like the diamond is floating. I must admit, this does seem to be the general consensus.

However, the BGD bezels are wafer-thin. So thin that it's even hard to see them. I disagree with the crowd on this, because to me the point of a bezel is to see the metal around the diamond, otherwise why would you have bothered in the first place? If the bezel is so thin that it goes unnoticed, why did I pay for it?

The bezels of Whiteflash are quite different. They are more doughnut-shaped and they are a nice medium thickness which, in my experience, is proportionate to the stone size. I should think WF could make you a wonderful perfect bezel setting.

I also have Blue Nile 1.12 ctw diamond studs set in bezels. The bezels look perfect, but under x20 magnification they look a bit wobbly. I'm fine with that, but they're probably not the best bet for a perfect bezel engagement ring. They're not handmade with wire like a custom-made setting from a PS vendor would be.

James Allen has some bezel settings which look wonderful on the website, but be aware that there have been some complaints on this site that the settings don't match up to the promise.

If it were me, I'd be comfortable with Whiteflash. I don't know the other vendors being discussed so can't comment.

Here is a link with my sapphire set from Whiteflash. It shows the bezels.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-5mm-sapphire-bezel-studs-sbty-bracelet.187928/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-5mm-sapphire-bezel-studs-sbty-bracelet.187928/[/URL]

And here is a link to my BGD bezel jewellery, with another link within which shows close-ups of the Brian bezels.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavin-dbty-bracelet-in-rose-gold.187959/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavin-dbty-bracelet-in-rose-gold.187959/[/URL]

You can see that the WF bezels are quite different and more substantial than the BGD bezels. But if you want a wafer-thin barely-there bezel, then BGD is the way to go. Both vendors make them perfectly.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like those WF bezels. And you are correct, I don't want a barely visible bezel. One of the things I enjoy about them is that while you do see them a lot online, I rarely see them on everyday people's engagement rings. Now I have some great sources for bezel work thanks everyone!

Now about that OMC halo....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emproctor2986|1370884015|3462729 said:

I think this is going to be another limiting factor - both BGD and WF have restrictive policies about setting coloured stones, neither BGD nor WF will source baby OMCs for you, and I'm pretty confident neither will set melee you source. I honestly think you'll have to choose another vendor with a more varied specialty.

It is however a very good idea to take pictures of bezels you like to the vendor you ultimately choose to be confident that they know what sort of thickness, roundedness, etc. you're looking for ::)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1370885151|3462737 said:
Emproctor2986|1370884015|3462729 said:

I think this is going to be another limiting factor - both BGD and WF have restrictive policies about setting coloured stones, neither BGD nor WF will source baby OMCs for you, and I'm pretty confident neither will set melee you source. I honestly think you'll have to choose another vendor with a more varied specialty.

It is however a very good idea to take pictures of bezels you like to the vendor you ultimately choose to be confident that they know what sort of thickness, roundedness, etc. you're looking for ::)

I agree with Yssie. Based on what you're looking for, I'd go with Singlestone, 23rd street, JBEG or Victor Canera.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wink Jones from High Performance Diamonds has a lot of experience setting colored gems. I know he's set stones that belong to customers (and he does excellent repair and restoration work). http://www.highperformancediamonds.com His work doesn't always get the credit it deserves here, but I believe the CAD/cast work his benches do is on par with that of BGD and WF. He is able to source diamonds and gemstones. He may be able to source small OECs as well.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
As far as bezels go, I have a Whiteflash DBTY and I think the bezels are perfect. With that said, I have never seen any other PS vendors bezels.

Bezels are funny in that you want to show that the stone is set that way, so not too thin, but you also don't want it to be so thick that it overpowers the stone.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so thankful for all the suggestions! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I know many people have purchased diamonds from GOG, how does their jewelry rate? If they could make the setting I could have them use August Vintage melee for the halo!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love James Meyer rings check out his sob Caleb Meyer and Ann McKay (I think) both are listed on JM site)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an old cut I would work with Single Stone if budget allows. Their bezels are to die for and their vintage replicas amazing.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1370900939|3462931 said:
For an old cut I would work with Single Stone if budget allows. Their bezels are to die for and their vintage replicas amazing.

I have my eye on the SS bezel with french cut side stones. It is so elegant and understated. I only hope it's in my price range!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How timely. Just heard back from Heather at Single Stone. The setting I want is 1K over budget. Boo. But if it's exactly what I want it might be worth it to save myself the frustration, and they will set my spinel. I get the feeling that when jewelry is concerned sometimes it's just better to pay more and get it exactly right...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results