shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats up with empire waist?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smithsmith

Rough_Rock
UGH, I don''t know but I hate those too, OP. I have yet to see a single person in real life that looks good in empire waist, although some must exist. I look like a preggo with linebacker shoulders in those dresses. I think most gals would look thinner with some kind of defined waist area!

I usually end up going old school and buying from places like uniquevintage.com since they have female-shaped garments. But it is so hard to find a cheap, light, non-empire dress.
8.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya, elle. My hips have several inches on my chest, so even though I think I''m pretty hourglass shaped, empire dresses make me look like a triangle.
40.gif
I LOVE empire tops though!!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 8:05:27 PM
Author: audball
Are you kidding!? In the second grade?!

yup. can't you tell i was one of the popular kids?
20.gif

just goes to show how early the importance of being thin gets ingrained.

maybe after i get back to working out i'll try an empire on for fun, perhaps i'll only lok like i'm in the first trimester this time
25.gif

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Ditto princesss. As a large chested, hour glass woman (I''m a 12/14, so not huge, but I could stand to lose a few pounds), this is the WORST style for my body.

I always have to wear a cinched waist, so that you can see I have a shape. The empire waists make me look like I''m expecting, and that''s not a good look for me (at least not yet).

I''ve never seen someone who wasn''t a runway model who looks good in the empire waist, even my friends who wear a size 0 or 2. I''m sure those people are out there, but I haven''t seen any.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 4:26:06 PM
Author: AllieGator
Ditto princesss. As a large chested, hour glass woman (I''m a 12/14, so not huge, but I could stand to lose a few pounds), this is the WORST style for my body.

I always have to wear a cinched waist, so that you can see I have a shape. The empire waists make me look like I''m expecting, and that''s not a good look for me (at least not yet).

I''ve never seen someone who wasn''t a runway model who looks good in the empire waist, even my friends who wear a size 0 or 2. I''m sure those people are out there, but I haven''t seen any.
OH man. Now I''m worried!
32.gif

I wear empire waist dresses quite a bit... and I''m definitely not model-thin. I wear an 6-8 in dresses and I''m 5''10"

Now I fear I look preggo and no one is telling me!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That wasn''t very nice Allie.

I have an hourglass too, but large tatas + a small ribcage = looks *decent* in an empire.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 5:13:49 PM
Author: FrekeChild

I have an hourglass too, but large tatas + a small ribcage = looks *decent* in an empire.

Liz, isn''t your wedding dress empire? I remember looking at it and going "OOOOOOH!"

I think it totally depends on the body and the dress.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 4:36:25 PM
Author: elledizzy5

OH man. Now I''m worried!
32.gif

I wear empire waist dresses quite a bit... and I''m definitely not model-thin. I wear an 6-8 in dresses and I''m 5''10''

Now I fear I look preggo and no one is telling me!
Nah, I''m sure you look fine. I''m only 5''5" (I wear a 6-8 and I''m a 34C) and I wear empire dresses. I actually like the fact that it hides my little buddha belly. I think it''s different for every person. No matter what your "body type" is.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh I am SOOO SORRY everyone! I guess I didn''t read that through correctly when I posted it. I didn''t mean to sound so nasty!

I just meant that I''ve personally never seen one, and I meant to make it sound like people ARE out there who can rock it, but now that I read my post through, I can totally see how that was offensive.

I apologize profusely for any offense this caused. I don''t know what I was thinking when I posted that, and I am so sorry!

jelly10

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 8:52:54 PM
Author: musey
I think it''s definitely a matter of personal taste - I''m an hourglass shape and love empire waists! But I''m not very good at dressing to flatter my figure, I always just choose the stuff I think is cute
3.gif

Hi Musey-I''m sorry, I''m new & I have a question for you. What is the best way to communicate with you about your ring???
Thanx, jelly10
2.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ok, is there some LIW tatas dust I missed?! I''m loving how many of you/us are posting about their amplitude upstairs....I know it comes with its own downsides, but mazel tov, ladies! I should *be* so lucky!
31.gif

I like empire waists, but ONLY when the fabric below the bust/ribcage isn''t like, voluminous and too flowy: THAT makes me look preggers too. They''re a bit hit or miss.

If the below the "waist" fabric is streamlined enough, then I like them--they''re good for small tata-ed girls like me.

I love an A-line skirt and a t-shirt--or an A-line halter dress. That''s summer for me.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 10:14:25 PM
Author: blueroses
Ok, is there some LIW tatas dust I missed?! I'm loving how many of you/us are posting about their amplitude upstairs....I know it comes with its own downsides, but mazel tov, ladies! I should *be* so lucky!
31.gif

I like empire waists, but ONLY when the fabric below the bust/ribcage isn't like, voluminous and too flowy: THAT makes me look preggers too. They're a bit hit or miss.

If the below the 'waist' fabric is streamlined enough, then I like them--they're good for small tata-ed girls like me.

I love an A-line skirt and a t-shirt--or an A-line halter dress. That's summer for me.
Haha this made my laugh! I noticed that too....a lot of "gifted" LIW.
2.gif
There is a plus side though, at least I know when I am pregnant, I wont have to spend money on the jacked up prices of maternity clothes. I can just buy whats instyle in the regular stores!

Well gals- I guess the general consensus is that its all a matter of personal preference and body type. I guess if you have a pouch you are trying to hide it makes sense to wear empire cut. I guess I just dont understand young skinny girls with perfectly flat stomachs hiding them lol. Like my mom loves to point out to me "you wont have that body forever, so show it off while you can..." LOL
9.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 6:24:20 PM
Author: princesss

Liz, isn''t your wedding dress empire? I remember looking at it and going ''OOOOOOH!''

Ummm and WHY have we not seen pics of you IN this dress missy???
38.gif
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 7:21:15 PM
Author: jelly10
Date: 5/27/2009 8:52:54 PM
Author: musey
I think it''s definitely a matter of personal taste - I''m an hourglass shape and love empire waists! But I''m not very good at dressing to flatter my figure, I always just choose the stuff I think is cute
3.gif
Hi Musey-I''m sorry, I''m new & I have a question for you. What is the best way to communicate with you about your ring???

Thanx, jelly10

2.gif
Hey, jelly - you can start a "calling musey" post somewhere if you want (maybe hangout?)
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:47:18 AM
Author: sunnyd
Date: 5/28/2009 6:24:20 PM

Liz, isn''t your wedding dress empire? I remember looking at it and going ''OOOOOOH!''

Ummm and WHY have we not seen pics of you IN this dress missy???
38.gif
3.gif
GOOD QUESTION.
11.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto princesss. As a large chested, hour glass woman (I'm a 12/14, so not huge, but I could stand to lose a few pounds), this is the WORST style for my body.

I always have to wear a cinched waist, so that you can see I have a shape. The empire waists make me look like I'm expecting, and that's not a good look for me (at least not yet).

I've never seen someone who wasn't a runway model who looks good in the empire waist, even my friends who wear a size 0 or 2. I'm sure those people are out there, but I haven't seen any.

That wasn't very nice Allie.

I think it depends on one's definition of "hourglass," and the other attributes in play. Hourglass is just a ratio of measurements. I always thought of myself as an hourglass shape (as that's what others describe me as), but I'm actually technically pear (waist measurement is 12" smaller than hip, bust is 4" smaller than hip). Only 8% of women have an hourglass figure.

What's also interesting is that the average woman's waistline has expanded by 6" since the 1950s, so "hourglass" in ratio tends look very different today from what our conception of "hourglass" is.

Interesting stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_body_shape

525px-Bodyshapes.svg.png

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh I''m a pear!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^ Elle, I think this would make an interesting poll! I''m gonna start one.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m a very defined hourglass. Bust and hips are about the same, with a very defined, much smaller waist. Weight goes to upper arms, chest, butt, hips and thighs before anything else, exaggerating the look. It''s frustrating because I feel like things are cut for "bananas" (lol) and that''s just plain unflattering on me.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 2:37:00 PM
I''m a very defined hourglass. Bust and hips are about the same, with a very defined, much smaller waist. Weight goes to upper arms, chest, butt, hips and thighs before anything else, exaggerating the look. It''s frustrating because I feel like things are cut for ''bananas'' (lol) and that''s just plain unflattering on me.
Amen!

Not enough booty room in those banana pants!
39.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 2:37:00 PM
I''m a very defined hourglass. Bust and hips are about the same, with a very defined, much smaller waist. Weight goes to upper arms, chest, butt, hips and thighs before anything else, exaggerating the look. It''s frustrating because I feel like things are cut for ''bananas'' (lol) and that''s just plain unflattering on me.
They totally are.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to learn how to sew (I have a machine) and just make myself dresses like Diane Lane''s in Under the Tuscan Sun. And I''ll wear nothing but those for the rest of my life.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Ha Ha! I love an empire waist b/c I''m small chested and it makes my boobs look bigger. Plus, I can eat as many tacos as I want and not feel self-conscious about it... ha ha.

Sorry you''re not happy with the selection... (although I would probably hate an empire waist too if I were a 0/2 and a 34 C. I''m a 10/12 and a 34 B- so it''s flattering on me. Show off the goods if you got ''em, girl!)

Good luck finding more your style!

KatM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 10:14:25 PM
Author: blueroses
Ok, is there some LIW tatas dust I missed?! I''m loving how many of you/us are posting about their amplitude upstairs....I know it comes with its own downsides, but mazel tov, ladies! I should *be* so lucky!
31.gif

I like empire waists, but ONLY when the fabric below the bust/ribcage isn''t like, voluminous and too flowy: THAT makes me look preggers too. They''re a bit hit or miss.

If the below the ''waist'' fabric is streamlined enough, then I like them--they''re good for small tata-ed girls like me.

I love an A-line skirt and a t-shirt--or an A-line halter dress. That''s summer for me.

i think that''s the secret. too much fabric makes it look like there''s more underneath.

and random question: i think i''m a pear (becuase i dont have a big chest), but most people would probably call me an hourglass because i have broader shoulders. when considering the hourglass shape, what part of the upper body is the top part of the hourglass? the bust, or the general shoulder area?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I have a perfect example! I was shopping online and saw this comparison -- had to share.

So on the left, is the petite model wearing a normal figure flattering dress.
On the right, the same petite model is wearing a dress with an empire waist.

Big difference, right? I am also like a lot of you ladies - busty and petite, so I really have to watch what I'm wearing or I could look pregnant. Not that there's anything wrong with looking pregnant. I hope to be pregnant one day! This dress would be really good for the PMS days when I'd want to inhale a ton of food and not feel like I'm busting out of my dress!

ETA: And I wanted to clarify that empire waist dresses that are FITTED are very flattering for the most part! The ones with all the tent-like fabric are the ones that make me feel preggo. There was that one time someone offered me his seat when I was wearing one...maybe he thought I was preggo!

halterdress.jpg

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 2:18:14 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Ohhhh I''m a pear!

so am i but with enough padding i can pull off an artificial hourglass. there is no way in hell i can pull a banana (aside from work)

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:07:35 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

Date: 5/27/2009 8:12:33 PM
I love empires. And I'm a 34/36DD. They make my stomach look flat because the ladies stick out while the dress of the dress appears to lie flat.
40.gif
Thank goodness!

My wedding dress is 99.9% going to be an empire line and i was starting to think that maybe i should delete all pictures of it!

I am a size 4 with a DD chest and it's very flattering on me, plus i wont have to worry about not being able to eat or squeeze into my dress on the big day!
He, he - I'm sure that's a huge weight off your mind
9.gif

I LOVE empire waists as I'm tall & slim with a small chest. I always thought I was a size 34A until I got measured for my wedding dress and l was told "NO you're 30C" - I was like 'Are you kidding me. 30C"!!! I guess that explains why my 34A strapless bras never stayed up
23.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE this empire waisted dress
30.gif
30.gif

AA1611.jpg

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies- Thank you for your feedback. Glad to know I am not the only one that feels this way. I thought maybe I was just so "out of it" already at 24! LOL It definitely depends on your body type, so I guess everyone is different. And I by no means wish to make anyone who has an empire cut wedding dress second guess the choice!!

I thought I would share what I did end up getting! I spent about 6 hours at the Short Hills Mall this weekend (for those that live in NYC and/or northern NJ you know the plethora of dress options in that mother-ship of a mall). And I still didnt find ANYTHING that wasnt empire cut. I did find this dress that I adored by my go-to guy Ralph Lauren. I've never seen a dress done by him that I havent loved. However, in the store the smallest size they had was a 6 and it was massive on me. Naturally I was irked.

However, yesterday I had the bright idea to check online, and they had it in a 2! Yippie! I am usually true to size with dresses, which is a 0, but since ralph doesnt do 0, I think the 2 should suffice with his stuff as it usally does. Here is a pic. I am proud to say I have a much better rack that the model (hehehe) so I should fill it out on top much better. Its linen, very elegant and casual at the same time, just what I was looking for! Heres the link if you want more info:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3525975&cp=1760782.1760898&ab=ln_women_cs1_dresses&parentPage=family

nonempiredress.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results